• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

About the Contests

Level 12
List of top 5...

Night

Time/Temporal/Dimensional

Holy

Shapeshift

Chance

I could think up a few spells for these ones :thumbs_up:

Level 12
My top 3 of the ones remaining in the first post:

Time/Temporal/Dimensional

Shapeshift

Night

P.s. 3 because I like only those :D

Level 21
If they are boring, why dont you think of something original?

Whats about Tri-Elemental(like fire ice and thunder in 1 single spell), or mass destruction, gravitation(demi), biological (natural, poison and such), physical (like body or muscle based ones, like a karate throw or something).

My ideas.

Level 40
redscores' "Biological" idea is nice IMO, since it provides a general theme but has a huge amount of versatility (poison to stun (ie entangling roots) to summons, in the normal game alone!).

Physical has already been done.

Time and Synergy sound nice, I'd agree that Night and Shapeshift seem kind've boring.

Anyways, these are just suggestions. Keep at it, guys!

Level 23
An idea I just had when browsing the older parts of this thread:

Yin/Yang - Two spells given themes which are the opposite of eachother, which act sort of as a duality.

For example, Holy Light vs Death Coil, though the difference should of course be slightly larger than that.

I assume then, that the only difference would be how they look?
Because if they are a sort of duality they should be pretty equal.
And yeah I know Holy Light/Death Coil would be too easy anyways

Level 12
Ohhh, traps would be sick!

EDIT

Oh wait, I ment wards >.<

Whatever, I think the traps would be pretty cool too

(Typing too quickyl)

Level 40
J_S, I was suggesting two separate abilities, just similar enough that it wouldn't be twice as much work.

However, you could also go a bit farther, for example (I'm trying to stick to melee game examples):

An evil spell that raises two skeletons from a corpse, versus a holy spell that damages an undead unit.

Level 17
Increasing

Spells that increases the effect the longer the spell is channeled or the longer the duration goes.

Like, a skill that slows an enemy unit for 5%, next second 10%, 15% and so on.

Stacking

Spells with buffs that stack, in other words improves the effect each time casted on the enemy unit.

let the master of ideas come in XD (jk)

[Damage Over Time] - spell will deal damage over time. (poison, shadow strike)
[Synergy] - spells that "compliment" the other. (Drunken haze and Breath of fire, banish and anything else)
[Blood] - Bloody Theme
[Global/(any other theme)] - spell is global
[that Ying&Yang nonsense] - Poot's idea..
[Blockade] - the spell will create some kind of blockade that will stop a unit in its tracks, or serve as an annoying obstacle.
[Domino Effect] - Boom goes to Boom goes to Boom etc.
[Friendlies] - Friendlies comes out to aid your hero (Stamepede, summons, locust swarm, raise dead)
[Player Controlled Ability] - this is confusing but, a spell, that will be activated by a player. (Spamming, Slows all units on the players screen, clicking on an enemy unit to damage it, etc.)

Level 40
What say we merge Overall Aspect and Visual Effects, but keep the scoring (thus 10/10 rather than 5/5 and 5/5)?

Also, any ideas for making the total 30, which is a far nicer number than 28?

Also, I was thinking, what about raising each category by 1 (ideas 6, triggering 11, overall aspect/visual 11, skip theme because it's just to make sure people follow it), which is normally not rewarded, but is more of a 'bonus point' for awesomeness in that category?

This becomes (with this implementation, I cut Theme to 2 points for a round 30):

JoeUser - A spell
  • Idea: 5/6 points
    The idea was original.​
  • Triggering: 7/11 points
    The triggering wasn't very good. Problems included lack of MUI, leaks, and overuse of Ifs where unnecessary.​
  • Overall Aspect: 11/11 points
    The icon and tooltip fit, and the spell would work well in a variety of situations. The special effects are the best of any spell I have ever seen!​
  • Theme: 2/2 points
    The spell matched the theme well.​
  • Total: 25/30 points
    Great on the visuals, but the triggering could use work.​

Alternatively, the above suggestion could instead be implemented by (note that I don't include bonus points in the total this way):

JoeUser - A spell
  • Idea: 5/5 points
    The idea was original.​
  • Triggering: 7/10 points
    The triggering wasn't very good. Problems included lack of MUI, leaks, and overuse of Ifs where unnecessary.​
  • Overall Aspect: 10/10 [highlight]+1[/code] points
    The icon and tooltip fit, and the spell would work well in a variety of situations. The special effects are the best of any spell I have ever seen ([highlight]+1[/code])!​
  • Theme: 3/3 points
    The spell matched the theme well.​
  • Total: 25[highlight]+1[/code]/28 points
    Great on the visuals, but the triggering could use work.​

Level 15
I think you should give bonus points for outstanding points, like the second point. However, 30 is a better total cos it looks nice. You should divide the points something like this.

Idea: 6 points.
Triggering: 12 points
Visuals: 4 points
Practicality (how useful this spell can be): 3 points
Theme: 5 points
Total: 30 points

Some Ideas for the next contest.
[Random Effects]- Effects are random/dependant on something.
[Terrain Dependant Abilities]- Skills that differ depending on terrain.
[Special Summoning]- A special way to summon units.
[Unit Manipulation]- Spells that manipulate units (converts, multiply, changes etc.)
[1 Icon, unlimited Ideas]-PurplePoot chooses an icon and contestants must use that icon for their spell, spell will be disqualified/ points will be deducted if icon does not fit skill.

Level 12
I like the upper version more than the second, although perhaps bonus points for exceptional qualities could be nice.

Level 12
Ohh, in that case I think you should go with the upper, for some reason it just looks better