• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED] Spells and Systems Mini-Contest #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Haha

Now that you put it that way, it adds more to dota type maps

People need to pay more attention to what their doing so they don't target the essence

Some people just kinda drone about when they play AoS games, doing the EXACT SAME DAMNED THING every time

That would get REALLY annoying if it was like a masses vs. masses type of map

Useful against tower whores, if ya make an item for the game that costs mana and deals damage to towers from far away

Level 12
Haha

Wow, dang that sucks Just_Spectating ><

Yeah I was thinkin about delaying making mine for a day too (my timezones +1 day ahead), but then I was like, wait a tic, thats ahead a day

Level 11
The suspense is killing me (Very much)

I'm going to take a look at the other contestants. All I saw of my competition was Herman (Who had a pretty cool ability)

Level 20
I just looked through your spell, Need_O2's and Herman's. Here's my feedback:

wd40bomber7:
You could have used some cleaner effects. The 'Z' was definitely bad, and the X was kind of choppy. Also, a buff on the affected units would be nice. Other than that, looks good.

Need_O2:
Interesting spell. Very basic, but still, interesting spell. Not much more to say... except maybe that the super warrior dude could have to visual changes to make it look better, because now he doesn't look so awesome (as in an old bearded guy that looks like a general wc3 paladin)...

Herman:
I had fun testing this. Very fun spell, very bloody! Very leaky aswell.

Level 11
I agree that the Z shape was kind of screwy. I think the X is pretty clean though. Your right about the buffs. I should have added them. I was planning to add them. I didn't because my computer is under reconstruction (0_o)

I have access to Weu and wc3 if I'm lucky. If not, I can try and access the internet by concentrating really hard.

Minimize: (By venomX) A simple ability, not that bad, but not very advanced either.
Cold Death: (By ghostwolf) This ability... isn't an ability. The ability itself isn't actually triggered. The 'test' ability (The one used to show the submitted ability is working) IS triggered. Meaning that your ability only works with other abilities that are triggered. I think thats kind of cheap....

Last edited:
Level 12
Glad you liked it

HINDYhat

Heh, that was the effect I was goin for :wgrin:

But, where are the leaks? I thought I got em all ><

wd40bomber7

Dang, I'm gonna study your code over and over till I understand how ya got those shapes goin

Yeah, I noticed some of the shapes weren't exactly on point, but I was too baffled by the fact that that is possible to care

Need_O2

I like the idea alot, it makes sense
Would be an awesome ability for an AoS map
A really useful spell

Level 11
Need_O2
The ability was interesting. Also, I used more dummy abilities then you (I think)
I used 6 dummy abilities. Oh, I liked the way you added damage/hp
Each one adds/subtracts a different stat. When they add together it just levels them up more.

@Herman, if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Note: I did something stupid with the struct indexes, won't cause leaks, but it could have been more efficient. Also remember you need Jass New Gen editor to compile my code.

Another Note: My points for the lightning are 100% perfect. They look off because of the camera orientation. If you make a camera looking straight down, they look perfect. The more angled the camera is, the less perfect the lightning points look. Its all perspective.

Also the Z isn't that bad. And I still don't see whats wrong with the X

@Hindyhat I only found one problem with your ability. If you attacked your own summon you could get mana really easily. (Its kind of cheating...)

Last edited:
Level 12
Buff effects

I don't think it really matters that the shapes look slightly off (perspectively), they are attached to the units, and they still look like they are attached to them

I wouldn't say it affects your spell at all

If your really bothered by it, I guess you could just edit the ones that look slightly off, and make them look better with the normal 304AoA

Level 11
I was thinking about doing that, but decided against it. Because then it would look 10x worse from a different perspective.

I didn't look through your spell that well, but I didn't really see any leaks...

I can't wait until PurplePoot finishes judging. The suspense is killing me. I'm probably going to have to goto sleep in 10 min...

Level 12
Leaks

Yeah I was pretty sure I got 'em all

Especially because the triggers fire at .01, the leaks would be instantly noticeable (the units wouldn't make it half-way through their flybacks before WC crashes/freezes)

Level 11
You'd be suprised how many leaks Wc3 can take without having any problems. Small objects (like locations) leak, but aren't a tenth the size of a bigger object (like units)

I'm going to bed now. I'm sad because my school blocks this website. That means I'm going to have to wait all the way until I get home to see the results. (Unless I wake up early enough, which is unlikely)

Level 12
Yeah

I imagine, there is probably a leak or two some where in the single fire triggers, I'll review it a whole bunch of times 'till I find it

Level 20
I couldn't see well since there were too many red messages popping up during your spell, Herman. Those are either "double frees" (destroying an object twice) or leaks, I can't remember. Anyway, both of those cases would slow down your code alot.

@Hindyhat I only found one problem with your ability. If you attacked your own summon you could get mana really easily. (Its kind of cheating...)
Argh... I made my spell really quickly... suppose I forgot to fix that :p

Level 19
HINDYhat
Your idea is nice :D
And yea paladin model was idiot idea but I didnt have time to think (I was gonna put Captain model actually or some spirit like banshee or ghost). But it can easily get changed by user you know ^^

wd40bomber7
Looks nice and usefull for meele maps. But umm I wouldnt use it xD

Herman
Well. I dont like variables in that "a" shaped thing, so you wouldnt want to hear what Im gonna say xD

Level 12
A shaped thing?

Heh, I'll take any criticism, I wanna get better :wcool:

HINDYhat, what do you use for a leak checker???

It's probably that I have "double-frees", I was really careful about leaks
I wanna have a leak checker that I can use to get rid of both leaks double-frees

*Usually I just test the map in-game using /fps

Last edited:
Level 11
Since I can't use Jass New Gen Editor on the computer I'm using. (While mine is being rebuilt) I didn't have the privileges of seeing war3err's messages... Anyway I can't wait until the results are out!!!

Level 20
wd40bomber7, as far as testing goes, I didn't find any handle leaks. Here's what I did:
JASS:
function test takes nothing returns nothing
    local location l=Location(0.,0.)
    call BJDebugMsg(I2S(H2I(l)))
    call RemoveLocation(l)
    set l=null
endfunction
The displayed integer should stay around the same number. Not sure if that actually is worth anything...

Level 12
Leak Checker

I sent my spell through my own leak-checker, and it came up with no leaks
(But 321 lines of code!!! :xxd: )

I'm not sure how I could get rid of those double-frees, any advice would be helpful

Level 12
Hah

No seriously,

Would that actually work??
Just setting the variable to null w/o the extra destroy/remove natives?
Or vice-versa?

Level 40
wd40bomber7 - Symbols of Power
  • Idea: 3 points
    It was basically just a positive/negative roar, not that special.​
  • Triggering: 5 points
    Though there were things that could have been better (like omitting CSCache), there wasn't anything glaringly wrong enough to drop your marks.​
  • In-Game Playability: 3 points
    Works well ingame, not hard to balance.​
  • Visual Effects: 1 point
    The Lightnings were a bit ugly, especially the X.​
  • Theme: 2 points
    Only sometimes augmented, also decreased the power of enemies.​
  • Total: 14 points
    Fairly well coded, but some of the other areas could use work.​

Need_O2 - Spectral Warrior
  • Idea: 5 points
    A fusion skill, very nice. I've heard of these in theory, but I've never seen anyone actually get around to making one.​
  • Triggering: 4 points
    Pretty good, but you forgot to null. Also, you should try to avoid TriggerSleepAction.​
  • In-Game Playability: 2 points
    Possibly a bit overpowered, because the units return without penalty when the Spectral Warrior dies, and it's so strong when it's alive...​
  • Visual Effects: 2 points
    As much as needed.​
    Not really augment, I suppose it is in a way though.​
  • Total: 15 points
    Well done in all fields, but each could still use a bit more work.​

Herman - Form of the Mutilator
    Hehe, nice.​
    Adding events that you never remove (Damage Trigger) leaks, and you also have some double frees.​
    Should be balanceable.​
    Nice eyecandy ;).​
  • Theme: 3 points
    If anything augments someone, that does.​
  • Total: 17 points
    Well done in all fields, but each could still use a bit more work.​

VenomX - Minimize
  • Idea: 3 points
    Nothing really special, just added a few cliché abilities for a duration.​
  • Triggering: 3 points
    Hiding GUI as converted Jass is pointless - you don't get marked down for using GUI anyways. However, I'm afraid I have to mark you down for really bad Jass practice (BJ spam, needless locals, bad conditions, etc), since you chose to present it as that...​
    Well suited ingame.​
    Good in all regards except for the evasion skill: put it in a disabled spellbook please! It looks much better that way (not being able to see the dummy skill).​
  • Theme: 3 points
    No question about it following the theme.​
  • Total: 13 points
    Please leave GUI in GUI. Also, remember to look in to disabled spellbooks!​

GhostWolf - Cold Death
  • Idea: 4 points
    A fairly nice idea for a spell.​
  • Triggering: 2 points
    The triggering was ok, but required you to implement the code for this buff into every single spell...​
    Should be balanceable.​
    Not much eyecandy (not even to tell the buff is on), so a little more would be dandy.​
  • Theme: 0 points
    That's not augment, that's the opposite.​
  • Total: 10 points
    Please try to make your spells generally applicable, and be sure to read the theme carefully.​

HINDYHat - Nexus
    Very nice idea, but you should give the enemies an incentive to attack the Nexus, otherwise skilled players would render the skill obsolete.​
    Attacking the nexus yourself still gives you mana! Everything else is fine.​
  • In-Game Playability: 2 points
    Skilled players would render the current build obsolete, and the bug mentioned under Triggering would also affect gameplay. (Note: I didn't remove points from you because of that, since I already did in Triggering).​
    Sufficient.​
    Fits pretty well, I guess, but not great.​
  • Total: 15 points
    Pretty well done, careful on those nasty snags though :p.​

Looks like Herman gets this one.

Level 12
Yay

Cool I won :csmile:

Good job everybody who submitted :wthumbsup:

For the coding, What is the function for removing excess events?
(I could just add it to the end of the FrictionSlide)

So, for leaks, all I would need to do is

JASS:
set var = null

So I wouldn't need to use

JASS:
call DestroyGroup(var)
//or
call RemoveLocation(var)

???

Yeah, I'm really lookin forward to the 10th contest :wgrin:

Level 12
Oh, ok

Hah, I just thought of something

I didn't add a condition for the Mutilator for buildings, nor did I test it on buildings

I didn't wanna say anything 'till after the contest, I'm gonna see what happens now :xxd:

Level 11
Lol! Thats a good point.

My two worst categories were idea, which I thought felt very original, but I guess wasn't, and visual effects, which I thought weren't that bad, but I'm a bad critic of myself. Lol.

How long does it take to start another contest, I really can't wait!

Level 12
Yup, thats not good

I checked it out, it's not pretty, the buildings disappear for a sec, the game lags, not good

I' ll fix the spell up with the double-frees and such and maybe add it to the spells resource section

Yeah, wd40bomber7, the actual augment part of the spell isn't very original, but the spell itself I thought was pretty original

Sorry about my other post, technically I'm not allowed to enter the next spell contest, but thats not gonna stop me from making a spell for it :wgrin: :wcool:

Last edited:
Level 12
Those are pretty cool

Some toggleable effects are pretty cool

Like immolation is either damage effect + mana loss or nothing

While other spells are like + Damage, - Armor or +Armor, -Damage

Depending on which way it is toggled

Toggle abilities are alot of fun, because players usually adjust to your tactics over the game, and then BAM! completely off-guard toggle

A toggleable ultimate that changes the heros abiles to their opposites would be insane (like the Firelord toggles to the Icelord, and can vice-versa with relative ease)

Although that would only work with a Dota map (couldn't be MUI/used on any unit for any ability)

Anyway, those are some of the great possibilities of toggleable abiles :wthumbsup:

(A really special one would be to make the stances spell mentioned above, and make a third stance [neutral], that'd be interesting)

Level 12
haha

Whoops, I just looked at the spells section, and it looks like somebody ALREADY DID the stance spell thing, so I guess you guys can't use that idea ><

Oh well, there are plenty of other kinds of toggle spells that you could make :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 29
Just for general knowledge, what holidays ? I learn like every other day :(

But oh well, here in israel everything is diffrent then the rest of the world (diffrent to the bad side...).

This doesn't mean I would not want contests :)
I want to raise my imagination once again ^^

Level 12
FUCKIN RAGE!!! (Grandma's Boy)

:wgrin:

Sounds great

Can I make a spell for the next competition anyway?, and just not enter it???

(The themes give me great ideas :thumbs_up:)

Status
Not open for further replies.