• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

About the Contests

Level 12
When was the last Triggers and Scripts mini contest? A year ago?
Unless someone is really determined to make it happen it is doubtful if we will get another one :(

Level 40
oshit... its been more than a year since I last posted here :p

um yeah someone could host this, as far as i remember we had like 2-3 mini contest a year, 2010 we had none D:
I used to run them every month or two when I ran coding (we had about 6-8 a year at the peak of it iirc), but as far as I know nobody has stepped up to do it since I stepped down. Bug TriggerHappy or someone if you want but I think that it's safe to say that these are dead.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Dual effect buffing/damaging.
The spell must be able to provide some form buff as well as be able to deal damage. The key is not what it does, but when and to whom.

An example could be soul absorb.
Deals damage to enemies in an area, especially to demons and undead. If the spell kills an undead, you gain a temporary stacking life regen bonous. Like wise with demons you get a temporary stacking aura which reduces the damage of all enemy units.

Damage to friendly units and buffs to enemies are also allowed. Curses (negative buffs) are not and neithor is direct rehealing (negative damage).

The idea is to give a higher than usual mark on origanality. A spell like above is better than a spell which just buffs you always and damages the enemy always.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
So far, Dr Super Good has been the only one to share his thoughts.

What I mean by brainstorming is, good ideas and bad, everything is fine. That's why it's called a storm.

So just put the first 5-10 good/bad ideas that come into mind:

1. A pull spell (pulls every unit to a point)
2. A healing spell
3. A funny spell (one to provoke good lol's)
4. A machine spell (looks mechanical)
5. An energy spell (looks futuristic)
6. A furnace spell (like a flame trap, just cooks nearby units)
7. A spell that deals damage-over-time to the caster until he stops

... see, it's not hard, just the first things that came to mind and some of them already seem cool.

I like, "funny" theme, hehe
-duality (spell has 2 effects, e.g. holy bolt/purge (heals/damages undead)
-elemental earth (spell involving dust, rocks, dirt, earth...)
-buff (make somekind of a buff, that affect and unit/group in some way)
-modern (nukes, grenades, rocket launchers, c4..)
-random/funny (spell would contain different effects(new effect each time being cast(from 5 to 10 different effects) but make them look funny)

Level 23
I could think of a spell based on another game (for instance another spell from the other Blizzard games).

Then again, it would potentially be unfair as everyone would not have the certain game. (though, there are tons of videos and tutorials, usually for all of them, so analysing them or make them with your own style would probably work. But then again, this would perhaps take up other meaningful development time.)

Last edited:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
I like that idea, such as porting a final-fantasy spell.

Ok, by the end of this weekend I'm planning to start up the challenge. Which one? Well, you have the next day or two to convince me :p

I'm leaning more towards comedy or that last suggestion at this point. In the end I may end up flipping a coin which one to do first.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
It will last as long as submissions are pouring in, and I'll stop allowing submissions when it slows down. It could take days or more than a week if the interest level is high, same with the voting. If people are requesting more time to work on the projects, I'll probably wait for them to catch up before closing the contest and starting the votes.

Level 8
What about..

- A Combo spell. You can go two ways: 1. The contestant must make two spells that have perfect synergy together. Something along the lines of drunken haze/breath of fire. 2. The contestant must make a single spell that has a different effect when targetting a unit for the second time. This can be a stacking effect like Incinerate, but this can also yield a completely different effect. Example: Polarize -> makes the target 'plus' or 'minus'. A plus unit causes rays of lightning to jump to nearby minus targets, dealing damage.

- A Puzzle spell. Halfway between a spell and a system, the contestant must design the triggers for a spell or item ability that can activate a field effect.
Examples: 1. Machine gear -> The player can pick up and drop rotating gears to make machines work or fail depending on the connectivity. 2. Icecone spell -> (Anyone played Mystic Quest/Seiken Denetsu on the old GB?) When cast the player summons a flying icecone that can be controlled with the arrow keys. When the icecone hits a target, it is transformed in a snowman that can be pushed around on pressure switches to open gates etc. I did manage to create this in GUI, so for you jassers this should not be a problem.

Level 22
4 combo skills are overkill, 2 is enough in my opinion. Anyways, if ever I were to make a spell pack consisting of 3 spells I would pick these 3:

(credits to ff unlimited)

I've chosen the spell combo for the likes of you!

Scorching flames from the pits of hell - Doom! 1
Deafening roar that instills fear - Howl! 2
And finally, the blinding light that tears - Finger of Death! 3

Summoned creature! Critter!

Die! Mortal!

Here's the Background music.

Level 8
I feel the need to clarify this a bit:

The "combo theme" could also be done within a single ability. I suggested two spells to make it easier for the contestants to come up with a proper combo. I think 4 spells should fit a hero contest better, but a focus on optimal synergy would be cool in that kind of contest aswell. As for the two spells: They should not be viewed as two seperate spells. You will effectively be making one system to support the combo.

A single spell should reinforce itself in some way; like incinerate's increasing damage and explosion. This principle could be applied to a plethora of stacking skills like increasing a chance to bash a target with each successive hit or on each cast. For active skills the spell could have two effects for example: 1. devour ground unit, 2. spit devoured unit as a missile to target air units. Or: 1: Freeze target, 2: Explode Frozen Target.

A double spell should reinforce eachothers effect. A big part of the spell making should be in designing a strategic philosophy behind the combo. Make the player focus on planning and timing to pull off the combo to it's full potential. (Chobibo, you did not specify how your spells should be related in combat, you just picked a similar theme, which is nót what I meant)

Example for a single combo spell:
Polarize v1: Causes all units within an AoE to become Plus for 90 seconds. If a unit is already Polarized, this will alternate its pole between Plus and Minus Every Minus unit creates shocks that damage nearby Plus units. In summary: Plus = Target, Minus = Source. The spell targets allies and enemies.

Philosophy:
In game the player would cast polarize on his melee units to make them plus. When these units are subsequently in battle, the player will cast the ability again, making his allies (who were already plus) become minus, and the enemies (who were nothing) become plus. Now the (minus) allies deal passive damage to the (plus) enemy.
If an enemy hero has the same ability, he can also cast Polarize again, making the enemies become minus and the allies become plus again. Now the (plus) allies receive damage from the (minus) enemies). In other words, this is also an effective counter to itself.
The AoE and double edgyness of the spell would require some skill for the player, but would also play give the satisfaction of a plan well executed.

Example of a two spell combo:
- Polarize v2: The hero causes all units in an AoE to become positively charged (Plus). This time the charge lowers movementspeed and cause spells to do increased damage. Deals 50 damage to negatively charged units (Minus) and provides a % chance to stun.
- Static: The hero zaps a target with a bolt of electricity. The bolt jumps to nearby Plus targets, giving a % chance to stun. Each target hit by the bolt becomes negatively charged (Minus). Dispells polarize.

In summary: in this example Polarize sets up spelldamage and a lightning rod so the Static spell becomes much more effective. At the same time Static sets up minus so the Polarize spell becomes more effective. Both spells could be usefull separately aswell.

=/ sry for the long post

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
If two people made the same spell, it's nearly-impossible for them to also trigger it the same way. Good triggering, no leaks, ease of use and minimal function calls are some of the areas I'll be focusing on. For those who don't know, function calls are often indicated by parenthesis in GUI, such as (Triggering unit) or (Owner of (Triggering unit)). I should also point out, (Triggering player) in a spell event is the same as (Owner of (Triggering unit)), so you can use this to speed things up.