• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

About the Contests

Level 22
Only if you still have TimerUtils in your map. If you want to change to another system you should at least change it so everything uses that system, instead of having 2 systems using f.ex. TimerUtils while the rest uses f.ex. HSAS.

Level 17
EoW, I don't get what you're saying... how can you use more memory if you're using your own system instead of TimeUtils or whatever?
And all you say makes me feel as if I'm in the 90's when 32MB RAM's were being used :p vJass created LIBRARIES so that you can make other systems depend on others and all that. You can make 100 of systems using the same timer system...
Well I'm out of this conversation... we're not getting anywhere :p

One system for the whole map compared to loads of different systems. The one system is going to use less memory than loads of others. And, why do you think leaks are a problem? They fill up memory, which eventually makes the computer lag. If you fill up memory with loads of different systems running, you leave less space for leaks/other memory maybe used by different programs or other systems or spells within the map.

Level 22
I like physics. But I guess that theme has been used already. Hmm... Maybe a "missile" theme, like making stones fall from the sky, or changing the attack of a unit, or making a shield of rocks or something like that.

Level 14
It's not a contest about who uses f.ex. TimerUtils in the best way.
Its exactly about that. Someone shows an awesome application of already existing code. Thats called pushing the limits.
But instead you want to figure out how to fix the damn bugs in your TimerUtils implementation, i see.

Or it reveals those who got the time and skills to make their own system
If they actually came up with that system, youd have a point, but since theyre just reinventing the wheel, you dont.
If i were to make my own Knockback system, id take Dusks and look at how its made and then reimplement his algorithms. Want to know why? Because i think his system had a lot of application and thus is (nearly) bugless and works the way youd expect it to. Plus a lot more time went into that system than i could spend on a system i need for a contest that lasts one week (or so).

Level 23
I like physics. But I guess that theme has been used already. Hmm... Maybe a "missile" theme, like making stones fall from the sky, or changing the attack of a unit, or making a shield of rocks or something like that.

I suggested physics once, but I got the answer that you should be qualified to know too much physics to make a spell, or something. But if I were in, I'd vouche for it too...

Level 17
Well, yeah the thing with physics is that it needs alot of background knowledge, thus making the contest unfair for a lot of people.

But really, when would the contest be!? Summer is almost over... :s I think it should be decided upon these few days... (by that I mean 1 or 2 days :p)

Level 22
School has already started for me :(.
And about the physics thing:
You don't have to know physics. If we have physics as theme you could make almost anything, as long as it is somehow related to physics. Like, Rain of XXX, Knockback, Jump, Tidal Wave, Whirlpool, Volcano, Bouncing ball, Black Hole, White Hole, Jump pad (inspired by GMod), Cannon or any other weapon etc.

EDIT: I already have an epic idea. And if the contest doesn't start soon I will make it anyway, because I can't wait any more. I have already waited for 4 weeks to make this spell.

Level 17
Yeah... mods, what about we start the contest today/tomorrow?

The topics that seem most wanted are:
- Physics
- Day/Light
- Something related to souls

So?

Really we need this contest to start now, otherwise... it'll be too later for some of us to join since summer would have been over, as it's already almost over to some people :s

Thanks!

Level 22
The problem with physics is that it's too general... I mean, I can make a knockback spell, that's physics...
or, missiles spell, physics...
basically anything IS physics :p

Not necessarily. F.ex. Life drain, or mana drain, or some kind of curse. Anything related to life/soul etc. isn't physics. I do know that many things are related to physics though. The nice thing about it is that it's not as limited as f.ex. "night". It allows for tons of different spells, which means that maybe more people will be able to join the contest, thus resulting in more competition.

Maybe I should make a poll about this, so the moderators doesn't need to check every post here.

Edit: Poll made. Link: Poll

Level 16
dont whine. Maths is fucken easy,, and so is physics and chemestry and stuff..
But for the theme of Physics you dont need the real equations, for anything that has anything to do with the powers of nature is physics.

Level 22
It is possible to make decent spells without vectors and complicated trigonometry. And unless someone here is going to make a physics engine or anything like that, I doubt anyone here would need vectors or complicated trigonometry or other advanced equations.