• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
thread_hive_logo-png.323627

p_mini-png.311514
ct_mapping-png.311496
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
5-png.311478

thread_results-png.311519

sowc3-jpg.324528

Secrets of Warcraft 3

Contestant were to create a custom map that uses the hidden content within Warcraft 3 or is inspired by any of the many secrets within the game. We've had fun while running the contest alongside Abelhawk, who has a detailed video series of the Easter eggs in Warcraft 3.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • 2nd place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • 3rd place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 5 reputation points

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Shovelers vs. Temps by Cokemonkey11

Theme: 12

Gameplay: 31.5

Aesthetics: 18

Technical: 9

TOTAL: 70.5/100

Defense of the Pandaren Drinking Area by gusanomental

Theme: 15

Gameplay: 40

Aesthetics: 24

Technical: 5

TOTAL: 84/100

Path of Devotion by lolreported

Gameplay: 45

Aesthetics: 30

Technical: 10

TOTAL: 97/100

Sasquatch Secret Society by Leods

Theme: 15

Gameplay: 36

Aesthetics: 18

Technical: 6

TOTAL: 75/100

Califlorida Capture by Retera

Theme: 10.5

Gameplay: 9

Aesthetics: 6

Technical: 8

TOTAL: 33.5/100

Pre-Damnation by Edy

Theme: 9

Gameplay: 31.5

Aesthetics: 21

TOTAL: 67.5/100

Rise of the Ancients by Marjosh38

Theme: 4.5

Gameplay: 22.5

Aesthetics: 30

Technical: 8

TOTAL: 65/100

The Battle for Nature by AbellFan20014

Gameplay: 18

Aesthetics: 9

TOTAL: 45/100

Theme Easter Eggs and hidden content have been properly used. 15/15%

Gameplay
  1. Linearity is what it offers.
  2. Cinematic mode cannot be skipped. Learn more: Making Cinematics Skippable
  3. Usual Warcraft III abilities have been used. However the problem is Banish which doesn't do anything but stop an enemy from attacking while leaving the target the possibility to cast spells. The hero doesn't have any ability or magic damage to cast on banished enemies.
  4. You can drag enemy units few by few. It's repetitive and makes the game too easy not requiring the use of abilities, especially when there are so many Healing Runes.
  5. The shop doesn't offer anything out of the typical game's shop's wares.
  6. Three copies of Orb of Frost seem pretty useless except for the +6 bonus to attack.
  7. Humour is to be appreciated.
  8. There are zones where nothing is to be found or done. They have no role, there's nothing to see there either.
  9. Chris should have been stronger than an Abomination. I understand he's a shadow of his former self but still...
  10. Two Hero Moon Priestesses in different places? Makes me wonder if the first one I found in a barrel south of Chris was intentional.
  11. Samwise the human-sized panda king is weak.
  12. It's short and doesn't have replayability value.
15/45%

Aesthetics The terrain is flat (but since it's a town, it's somewhat acceptable) although nicely adorned with some doodads and tile variation but there's also a lot of bareness. Because there is fog of war and the terrain wasn't finished, empty parts of it can be seen. There are some places where you can go which are devoid of something else than one tile terrain. 15/30%

Technicality The cinematic mode doesn't start instantly and the hero can be moved right before it does which might create issues like the hero being attacked without being able to skip the scene. 8/10%

Total 53

Theme There isn't much content related to Easter Eggs or hidden resources to be seen. Only thing, is the mentioning of Wirt and the fact that he'd opened up a portal and his relation to demons which is written on the item Wirt's Other Leg. 5/15%

Gameplay
  1. The mouse sensitivity could be even higher (faster camera speed). Now it's a bit stiff even on fast camera speed, the hero turning slowly to the sides.
  2. The way the hero is moved and the map played, and camera is positioned, gets the original game to another level.
  3. Even choices are included which change the course of events.
  4. Sometimes Eric hits the enemy even if not fully facing the target.
  5. The men in the camp run but stumble on each other before they fully get out of the picture.
  6. A and D should just make the unit strife or walk towards that direction instead of making it face said directions because the mouse is used for facing.
  7. You can walk and defend but not walk and attack. An attack stops movement requiring the movement key to be pressed again to continue moving.
  8. Movement and battling seems pretty annoying sometimes as your energy drops quickly if you also defend and you need to when being attacked by multiple enemies. You can't dodge them easily by going backwards as the hero moves slowly. Going forth is how you do it but usually you have to get near the enemy in front to be able to move out of the conflict zone. Another problem while moving is that you can easily get stuck in places which look like you could pass through.
  9. Cinematic mode/scenes cannot be skipped. Learn about it: Making Cinematics Skippable
35/45%

Aesthetics The atmosphere is well done with even a custom UI included. 30/30%

Technicality
  1. No game breaking bugs. Between information phases, units are not paused and the enemy moves towards Eric.
  2. There's an issue when trying to save the game as a file as the user control is disabled, there is no visible cursor.
  3. The map crashes when trying to load the game.
4/10%

Total 74%

Theme The Sasquatches and two icons are the only Easter Egg/hidden content used. 10/15%

Gameplay
  1. Warcraft III only spells which can be found on multiple units. That doesn't make units unique.
  2. Not exactly sure if it was intended for the Catapult to deal 1000 damage. Same with the Glaive Thrower.
  3. The enemy attacks fast leaving you little time to check on the bases and things you should get accustomed to.
  4. The techtree is pretty much Human.
  5. Nothing in the quest log.
  6. The Shaman has no Lightning Storm ability unless it's a hidden passive one which affects the way the unit attacks.
  7. It's not clear what Phase 2 means as a requirement. I assume it comes later as the game progresses.
  8. The elves did not attack again. Learn about AI:
    AI Editor
    JASS/AI Scripts Tutorials
    How to: Create a Full-working Custom Race
    Custom Race Creation: Advanced Mechanics
  9. The roles of the unit group in the northwest is to scout for gold mines? That would be a job fit more for kobolds and goblins.
  10. No racial shop building?
  11. Smash doesn't take mana and has a fast cooldown. Same with Stomp and they also have Stop's hotkey: S.
  12. Why is the Mammoth called Charger? It doesn't have any ability to move faster. Well, it's faster than any other unit.
  13. Heart of the Forest has Backpack which requires Arcane Vault.
  14. There's a lot of empty terrain spam. The map is also huge.
  15. There's little replayability value. The enemy has a base but doesn't send units to attack after the first quick attack. Distances between the player and the enemy is quite big and made of empty space. There's nothing much to do but train an army and attack units awaiting idly on the map.
  16. Stalin's selection circle is too small.
  17. Literally no items to use with the Sasquatch hero's inventory.
10/45%

Aesthetics
  1. A lot of flat one tiled terrain. Mostly devoid of doodads.
  2. The hero should have hero glow: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling
  3. Some units have the same icons, others don't have fitting ones like the tower.
  4. The worker icon should have been changed with that of a Sasquatch.
  5. The workers look so small as if they were child slaves.
  6. The selection circle for the Supply Stockpile is too big.
  7. Units, buildings and upgrade icon positions should be properly placed in their respective buildings.
  8. There are places where some units can pass between trees and those zones don't serve any purpose, there's no secret to be found or anything, just improper placed trees.
15/30%

Technicality No game breaking errors. There isn't enough time to read the transmissions in the intro.
9/10%

Total 44%

Theme Only pandas were used. 5/15%

Gameplay
  1. Controls are quite difficult to use, especially when playing solo. You can easily get stuck into a wall and not be able to turn back or steer.
  2. Why can't you just crush the small enemies under the tank? Barely, do you push them.
  3. Reverse doesn't seem to work all the time.
  4. Sometimes the tank gets trapped between enemies, sometimes it just pushes them.
  5. The gunner doesn't get full HP like the driver after finishing a round?
34/45%

Aesthetics
  1. The environment is quite nice but a bit fuzzy/blurry.
  2. Would be nice to be allowed to put the camera closer with the mouse wheel.
  3. The direction icons should have arrows facing in the direction they're supposed to steer the tank towards instead of all facing right/east. You can use these programs and any other simple one out there to rotate the images:
    Button Manager v1.8.2
    BLP Lab v0.5.0
25/30%

Technicality No gameplay breaking bugs. Some issues related to movement and other minor things.
9/10%

Total 73%

Theme The Burning Skeleton and two hidden icons were used. 10/15%

Gameplay
  1. It's a nice and addictive game. It's not complex.
  2. Some things like the cyclone in the middle could move from place to place; more natural calamities and events could spice up the gameplay.
  3. Couldn't grasp what the item carrier/dragon does. Tried shooting it, jumping on it, nothing. Or should it be scared to go into the cyclone?
  4. One Burning Soul appeared on the map borders.
30/45%

Aesthetics
  1. The terrain is utterly flat. There is some tile and doodad variation but overall it's pretty simple. There are some effects to make up for it.
  2. Maybe some visibility blockers and/or cliffs wouldn't hurt.
20/30%

Technicality
  1. No gameplay breaking bugs. However, you cannot start this in multiplayer because everyone is in the same team.
  2. Exiting the game lags or freezes the exit process.
5/10%

Total 65%

Theme Samwise kobold model and a hidden icon were used. 10/15%

Gameplay
  1. Seems rather monotonous after a few goes since there's nothing else to do than run and automatically attack any other kobold nearby without any possibility of dodging, defending.
  2. Nice movement mechanics and camera view.
25/45%

Aesthetics
  1. The icon used for charge has no DISBTN. Learn About icons and you could make one in case the original hasn't any:
    Button Manager v1.8.2
    BLP Lab v0.5.0
    Complete Icon Tutorial - All About Icons
    How to Make an Icon
  2. The kobolds don't have any attack animation when near each other standing still, only the blood is seen.
  3. The map has little variation of the same hue.
20/30%

Technicality No gameplay breaking bugs.
10/10%

Total 65%

Theme Mostly pandarens were used from the Easter Egg/hidden content. 5/15%

Gameplay
  1. The main issue is the camera not letting you see much because of trees and stuff in the way and the camera becomes shaky. Because of this, going in a particular direction is difficult. Also makes it hard to fight properly. Good part is you can click on the minimap and wait for the unit to go there. You could learn more from this map when it comes to third person cameras: A Terrible Nightmare v1.03.3
  2. Cinematic mode cannot be skipped. Learn about it: Making Cinematics Skippable
  3. A lot of stuff is coming soon so it's a rather unfinished map.
  4. Took me a while to figure out I could use the keyboard for movement since you can use the mouse. I had to get stuck in front of the Tavern to try something which lead me to the arrow keys.
  5. Quests like the one from the pandaren should go into the quest log with some information on where to find the person you just met.
  6. The airship doesn't know how to follow you and gets lost.
  7. Demons have normal camera view, not even locked? How's that fair?
25/45%

Aesthetics
  1. The crystal balls on Medivh could have various colours depending on each attribute or you could have just used the attribute icons instead. Some programs you could change the hue of the current icons with:
    Button Manager v1.8.2
    BLP Lab v0.5.0
  2. The forest is pretty nice.
  3. Sometimes the Runner's animations freeze and it looks like they are twitching and sliding.
  4. Essence of Aszune and Heart of Azzune have the same icon.
  5. Since Runners are heroes, they could use glow: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling
  6. Some items like Staff of the Magi could use a better description. How much damage etc. Learn about that:
    Tooltip Tutorial
    Creating Good Descriptions
25/30%

Technicality No gameplay breaking bugs except for the shaky camera in many parts of the map.
9/10%

Total 64%

Theme Sasquatches, the big pandaren and the Hearthstone icon have been used. 10/15%

Gameplay
  1. The camera doesn't start where your hero is but in the dark middle of the map.
  2. Quests are linear.
  3. Mostly Warcraft III usual spells, some renamed, like Berserk->Enraged.
  4. Hearthstone says it teleports the Sasquatch home not somewhere of choice.
  5. I'm fine thanks=home!? This is confusing. I thought it meant, cancel.
  6. Forest Trolls quest spammed three times in the quest log and one of the was completed.
  7. The Sasquatch Mother scrolls shouldn't have cooldown or at least a faster one. Waiting for it takes time and isn't fun.
  8. When you teleport, the camera should pan on the hero's position.
  9. You should be able to teleport back going to the flower circle of the region you are in instead of always using the Hearthstone. The latter should be for emergencies.
  10. You get messages for killing units that you've completed quests for.
  11. Spider Sword has no active ability. If you click on it nothing happens. And, it doesn't provide attack against air units.
  12. You can complete the Spider Queen two times if you go to the quest giver again quickly.
  13. Sometimes when taking quests or going to NPCs you get the message "little spider killed".
  14. Ah, I think I know why it appeared because little spiders appear in the Sasquatch base to the north and they are killed by the 7th level Sasquatch Oracle.
  15. The Abomination you spawn with the scepter cannot use the abilities because it needs the upgrades.
  16. Honestly, the Destroyer's abilities aren't that good. Previous Sasquatch classes had better ones.
  17. You have to turn triggers off when reaching an NPC to finish a quest. Your triggers turn off only after their transmission ends which means you can trigger the reward multiple times until then.
  18. When the scepter Abomination expires or is killed, the message "Abomination killed" appears.
  19. The unally thing is pretty annoying, you'd be better off playing the game alone.
  20. The problem with the demon artifacts is that you can't drop them.
  21. The Abomination scepter creates cooldown for all demonic items. Did you use the same cooldown group and/or order ID? Sane with the other demon items.
  22. Bash should be hidden when using Charge so abilities won't move positions. Or at least, make it appear above Scream.
  23. 10 minutes as the lord? What if you kill every ally by then?
26/45%

Aesthetics
  1. The problem with the name is that you're giving away the Easter Egg.
  2. Fuerza instead of Force or anything else in English, preferably.
  3. Hero units could benefit from glow: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling
  4. The terrain is nice but could be better. It's pretty much old school but a lot of it is flat.
  5. Some spells like Enraged don't have a visible hotkey in the title.
  6. You get a message that you've killed a sort of unit but don't get the number and total of killed units.
  7. Defense Aura should look passive. You can make it so with this: Button Manager v1.8.2
  8. You should not use hero models for units because they have no decay animation and their bodies remain on the ground for long periods of time.
20/30%

Technicality No gameplay breaking errors except for some buggy triggers pertaining quests and other minor things.
7/10%

Total 63%

FinalScore = (65/(Judge Score %)) + (35/Vote %)

Abelhawk's video on the entries!

MMC15_win.png

Contest | Poll

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations and well done to all contestants! My judgement data was mainly numeric here, but if you'd like to see me play the maps and give more specific verbal feedback, you can watch my stream of the entries here.

I've added the video to the post. Thank you for linking :]

Reputation awards delivered.

Award icons given. Enjoy~

Level 11
Okey... That's really strange.
I must admit that the possibility of using enemies was not intentional, it is some kind of drive handling bug. I specified that only player 12, driven by the computer, could use them, but it seems that this has failed. I will investige.
The camera doesn't start where your hero is but in the dark middle of the map.
I will change that.
Fuerza instead of Force or anything else in English, preferably.
Ohh. Exactly where? I tryed to keep the English language every time.
  • Hearthstone says it teleports the Sasquatch home not somewhere of choice.
  • I'm fine thanks=home!? This is confusing. I thought it
Both are due to the same. The teleportation takes you to the circle of flowers, so the teleportation trigger takes it as "entering the region". I will change the area to a nearby one.
You should be able to teleport back going to the flower circle of the region you are in instead of always using the Hearthstone. The latter should be for emergencies.
It was intentional. I tryed to repeat the WoW Hearthstone frustration feel.
You get messages for killing units that you've completed quests for.
I will fix that.
The unally thing is pretty annoying, you'd be better off playing the game alone.
Without help, you can't kill the enemy bosses.
10 minutes as the lord? What if you kill every ally by then
Well, they will respawn after 2 minutes, and come back to fight.

At last, I will do the update after a few days. Now, I'm busy with the Techtree contest.

Edy

Edy

Level 9
Congratulations and well done to all contestants! My judgement data was mainly numeric here, but if you'd like to see me play the maps and give more specific verbal feedback, you can watch my stream of the entries here.
I don't know what caused my map to bug-out:
I made it on 1.3, contact me if you have anything in mind :)

Congrats people.

Level 8
Honestly, my map was full of bugs and glitches, where I already edited exactly when the contest poll was running. I was afraid that if I update my map during that time may result disqualified in the contest. So, I waited until the time when the contest end that I can update it.

By the way, congrats to all participants and the winners . Noted for reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.