1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

A simple way to greatly reduce Object Editor lag!

Discussion in 'General Mapping Tutorials' started by Caedrus, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Caedrus

Caedrus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:

How to greatly reduce Object Editor lag!

The Problem

So I've heard from a number of people that they've been having a problem with the World Editor: Quite simply, when you try to do things like "delete a custom unit from the object editor," it takes an unreasonably long amount of time, even for people with stellar computers. Well, the good news is, it's not your computer's fault! With one simple action, you can remove this lag. :thumbs_up:

The Cause

The issue is, almost certainly, the Brush List. What is the Brush List, you ask? Well it's that little thing under the model previewer that shows all your object editor data. Most people don't even touch this thing, but it causes a significant amount of lag when editing units in the object editor, because the World Editor has to update the brush list.

The Solution

The solution is simple, and takes merely seconds. Simply go into your world editor, select the Window dropdown, and see where Brush List is checked. Uncheck it. You're done! Easy, huh? Now you can create or delete 60 new units in the object editor without delay! :thumbs_up:

[​IMG]

^---This is what you're looking for.

More Speed

If the world editor still runs slow, you might want to make sure your computer meets the recommended system requirements. Still, for those of you who use the editor on a slow laptop or something, you can increase speed further (at the expense of multitasking effectively with other programs) if you're using a newer version of Windows (XP, Vista, etc) by setting a higher priority in the task manager. To do this, first make sure your World Editor is on and running. Next, go to the task manager (Just hit CTRL+ALT+DEL). Now, either click on the Processes tab and scroll down until you see "worldedit.exe" OR you go to the applications tab, right click on World Editor, and select "Go to process" from the dropdown menu. Now, right click on the process, and select a higher priority from the dropdown menu.

[​IMG]
    ^---this is what you're looking for.

Be careful when you're doing this, however, because changing the priority can potentially unbalance your system. At the very least, increasing the priority of a program will hog resources for that program, and slow down any program that isn't that program until you return priorities to normal. I recommend increasing the priority gradually (one step at a time) until you find the point that works best for you.

Anyways, that's it. If you like this, please comment, etc. :)

All the best,
    -Caedrus

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011
  2. Numerion

Numerion

Resources:
    Resources:
    ^ old news are old

3. Caedrus

Caedrus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Maybe so, but I didn't see a tutorial about it here already, and a lot of people here don't know it, in my experience. And for those who don't know it, "new news are new." It's also a really important thing to know, seeing as creating a bunch of units takes forever if you have the brush list selected.

4. Joe-black-5

Joe-black-5

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    First time I know about these things
    it will really help me in my work
    it might be old news for some but it's the first time I hear about something like this.
    Thanks for the tutorial
    +rep

5. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Nice tutorial. There are still a lot of people who ask how to make the object editor work faster. This tutorial pretty much sums it up. I'll approve it once I attach the images to THW.

EDIT: Done. ~Approved.

6. Mr.Pockets00000

Mr.Pockets00000

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    dude freaking Sweet. It used to take forever to create custom units and change thier names. Thanks dude :D
    Also just increasing it to above normal seems to be enough... and hopefully wont cause instability

7. Caedrus

Caedrus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You are welcome :)

Of course, this is entirely dependent on your own personal rig, so I can't really say much here. You have to figure out which settings are best for your system.

8. Alfagar

Alfagar

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    :O Great tutorial

9. adonisis

adonisis

Resources:
    Resources:
    Helpfull, thanx! :D but can someone tell me how to use imported models that requires image/textures? :| i know im still newb ^^

10. Bugbuster96

Bugbuster96

Resources:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    yea, this rox, it makes sense, and you're right, i didn't even touch that ugly-lagly thing :)
    +rep

@adonisis:
    I'll PM you.

11. XAlexX

XAlexX

Resources:
    Resources:
    Really Great Tut. and very usefull.
    I'm working on a map now with tons of custom units and that Object edit. lag pissed me off many times.
    Thx for help...now my Object editor runs like Speedy Gonzales.....seriously:thumbs_up:
    rep+

12. sanityslayer42

sanityslayer42

Resources:
    Resources:
    great tip. :thumbs_up:

13. Superz_Ze_Man

Superz_Ze_Man

Resources:
    Resources:
    omg man, i cant thank you enough.. I never new about this... I have a great computer and i couldn't figure out why it lagged.. Thanks to you... my work is 50 times faster

14. tommynator

tommynator

Resources:
    Resources:
    thanks. i have a new computer and it was better than my last one and the old one did not lagg, but this one did.
    this helped a lot!!!:ah:

15. Allen Walker 22

Allen Walker 22

Resources:
    Resources:
    Helps me tnx!

16. xorkatoss

xorkatoss

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    wooooooooooow !!
    thnx man that helped a lot !!
    i copyed and pasted 50 units and it only took a second xD

17. iBear

iBear

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome! Maybe old news to lots of modders, but newbies like me are thrilled to learn that we can disable that infuriating lag time so easily! :)

18. Eldubs

Eldubs

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Great help, +rep!

19. lht001300000

lht001300000

Resources:
    Resources:
    Although it seems an old news, but for me, it could be helpful as I've been taken forever to figure out "What is the editor doing in those 3 seconds of laging?". Old news are new for me:thumbs_up:

20. SetaSouji

SetaSouji

Resources:
    Resources: