• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A simple way to greatly reduce Object Editor lag!

Level 9
hands down..

AFTER A MOFO YEARS OF MAKING MAPS AND WAITNG FOR TOO LONG TO WAIT FOR THE LOADING OF MAKING CUSTOM UNITS,

i tried it and it WORKS.. this "OLD" tutorial helps explorer hivees like me..
thanks alot

its good to explore old posts..
because you can see threads that you didnt expect to see
it helps somuch

S11

S11

Level 3
oh, another thing while in the task manager, is setting affinity towards Worldedit.exe this sets allows you to set your processors solely for WE. It allows you to have an option depending on how many processors you have you can choose set all button or select how ever many processors you want to devote to the process. I have 2 CPU 0, CPU1, this helps greatly

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Just want to add another thing:

When editing really large maps with lots of doodads, you will notice a small freeze every 3 seconds (even when doing nothing!). While this does not affect the object editor, it's really annoying when terraining.

To prevent this, use the same method described in the opening post but disable the minimap. This particular lag is caused by the periodical updating of the minimap picture.

You might want to use the minimap to navigate, though; unfortunately, I haven't found a way to prevent the minimap from updating without removing the minimap window as a whole.

Level 14
Just want to add another thing:

When editing really large maps with lots of doodads, you will notice a small freeze every 3 seconds (even when doing nothing!). While this does not affect the object editor, it's really annoying when terraining.

To prevent this, use the same method described in the opening post but disable the minimap. This particular lag is caused by the periodical updating of the minimap picture.

You might want to use the minimap to navigate, though; unfortunately, I haven't found a way to prevent the minimap from updating without removing the minimap window as a whole.

I noticed this too. I also hide the previewer. Not sure if it helps or not, but my maps have over 20,000 doodads and it's very nice to not have the freeze every 3 seconds. Especially when trying to raise or lower something. I think it's worth it to navigate the old fashioned way. (or just bring up the minimap, move where you want, and hide it again)

Level 1
This is awesome! Just tested it and it helps out a lot.

Finally I can stop postponing adding all the new units I need for my TD. :xxd:

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Wow! Can't believe I find this thread again after all these years. I firstly knew the World Editor like 6 years ago, and we only have 1 computer back then, and it's really slow. Without knowing these tips, I wouldn't continue learning about WE since the first place. Because you know, without these tips, the WE runs very slow. Legend witnessed!

EDIT:
Meh, maybe this thread was not the one I saw back then. But still, it contains legendary tips :p

Level 5
It is May of 2018, and the information in this old post here still saved me when i cracked open the WorldEdit again last week! ;)

Level 4
o_Oo_Oo_O
NOOOOOOOOO :eek:

Nobody told me. I map since 2005. My last map has 570 custom units it took about 40 seconds at the end to do a single change when I translated the map and added copies of all units to have it bilingual. For each unit I had to wait for Name, Editor suffix, tooltip, extended tooltip :confused:
Now it's 2018, I have pretty much finished all my warcraft 3 projects and now I learn about this :rolleyes: Just opened my map, removed the checker and i can save changes instantly...lol...

That's what you get for ignoring hive until 2017 I guess :cool:

Level 1
This thread helped me a lot. Thank you for this tutorial. Now i can change name & add custom units quickly without waiting.:ogre_haosis: