• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

1.24b Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Please, do not turn this into another Jass vs GUI thread. Because Jass will inevitably win and children will cry.

On a more serious note though, just don't. Those never end, and nothing good ever comes of them. I've participated in a few of them, and look where that got me! :<!

As for some of the things mentioned in this thread. I remember Element_of_Water saying that, for the old patch 1.24, Blizzard hadn't removed the return bug workaround but instead had simply removed the possibility to return code all around on BNet. This is false, because I remember testing the code return bug workaround on BNet with Poot, and it worked. Of course, this is old news, since 1.24b is out now and Blizzard actually fixed stuff, but still I thought it was worthy of mention.

About 'shadowing', I don't think Blizzard actually did anything about this. Last time I checked, instead of removing the possibility to shadow globals (or locals?), they actually allowed it to work with more than one variable.

In general though, 1.24b seems like a success (in Blizzard's silly way) and should only prevent you from playing maps which abuse the return bug.

Level 12
Damn.
I started a war.
I'm just gonna say this:
If you don't like Jass, don't diss it. Just don't use it.
That simple please.
I could only say the ONLY reasons why you couldn't learn Jass is because:
You are not very smart (My friend can't learn GUI, and he won a mathbowl over half of wisconsin. Now I have too, but same same.)
You don't got time (VERY BAD reason. Just print off a tut, and carry it with you.)

Really! Do you need to fight over this?

Level 13
Those ignorant Bast@#$^!!!!
Why is everyone so like "I'm glad I don't use Jass, so I don't got the problem.?
Just read one tut, and give me 10 reasons why you SHOULDN'T learn Jass.
Seriously, most people don't understand the benefits.

I think you are overreacting a bit too much, let those whom want to use GUI use GUI and those whom want to use JASS use JASS.

I know both till extend, but I use GUI and only jass where needed for the simple fact I rather use an interface for this editor rather than blunt text, I already do that a little too much while creating websites and programming game scripts.

Edit: perhaps you can all just stay on topic and discus the news title, and not meaningless discusions about JASS and GUI.

Btw, great patch blizz overally.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You fix it by switching to hashtables to store the unit and fetch the units and remove the conversion functions.

Honestly, fixing maps is not a problem, yes it may take a lot of testing to make sure you fixed it 100% and is bugless but the general fixing can be done in only a few hours. In this process you also optimize the map slightly and can remove string leakage.

Level 8
Hey, it's Blizzard. When they release a patch, it fixes 1 thing at the cost of 2 things.

Level 22
I think you are overreacting a bit too much, let those whom want to use GUI use GUI and those whom want to use JASS use JASS.

I know both till extend, but I use GUI and only jass where needed for the simple fact I rather use an interface for this editor rather than blunt text, I already do that a little too much while creating websites and programming game scripts.

Edit: perhaps you can all just stay on topic and discus the news title, and not meaningless discusions about JASS and GUI.

Btw, great patch blizz overally.

That too, I forgot to add - its much better to see the GUI triggers than some walls of text. And I like how I poke JASSers with my points :D

Level 12
I thought this was a BETTER patch than there last one, but who gives.

Textwalls in Jass, are a NIGHTMARE in GUI. Jass combines functions and is faster.
END OF DISCUSSION!
If you don't like the other one, keep yur gob shut!
We all know who is the winner (And we all know different winners.) So noone can really win, mainly because of the laziness by some of us, and the bullheadedness of the rest of us, and the smart-alecness of some of us.
There are many different reasons, and they don't apply for all, so you can't use them against all.
You may kill a cop with a bulletproof vest with a knife, but it is easier to kill a cop without a vest with a gun.

A very bad metaphor. =D

Level 13
I thought this was a BETTER patch than there last one, but who gives.

Textwalls in Jass, are a NIGHTMARE in GUI. Jass combines functions and is faster.
END OF DISCUSSION!
We all know who is the winner (And we all know different winners.) So noone can really win, mainly because of the laziness by some of us, and the bullheadedness of the rest of us, and the smart-alecness of some of us.
There are many different reasons, and they don't apply for all, so you can't use them against all.
You may kill a cop with a bulletproof vest with a knife, but it is easier to kill a cop without a vest with a gun.

A very bad metaphor. =D

This is probably your only real sentence that makes sense, you should have stopped witting from thereon to prevent people from keeping this discussion up.

Level 22
duh? You're the same name. As a global mod in 2006 I told them to remove hax section and BF would be perfect and Blizzard would not ignore BF coz it s a HUGE forum, they didn't want but it was still a good forum years ago (2003-2006). Now it's just ADs bots, flammers, emos and no players to play with, a total garbage. They don't watch my replays anymore, I mean even the two persons that used to do it are now careless idiots, so from my melee n gaming forum it will end up with no gaming forum at all cause it sucks. And THW is the mapmaking central, so I'm here.

But I used BF for the melee gaming. Now I just play with a partner since 2006 that is back to war3 and some other players who haven't left. But those at battleforums.com can gtfo all of them, I don't need anyone there. And They got some new admins - instead of old good members they take random admins from the net and these newb admins let some spammers register to post everywhere Visit "www.Whatever.com" to every thread. It's not even moderated anymore... Nothing keeps me there - boring forum with trolls n flammers.

And kinda lame, some newb with 1 post got the SC2 Beta Key, unfair much? I sense he was a friend of the admin, so the whole random choice competition was a fake.

And kinda lame, some newb with 1 post got the SC2 Beta Key, unfair much? I sense he was a friend of the admin, so the whole random choice competition was a fake.
I trust kinkarso but ya ... it was totally unfair. Still I don't think blaming the admin is the right thing to do, specially when we don't have evidence to support our conspiracy theories =P

It is the second contest in BF in which I get the 2nd place, but I am happy, Kink always rewards those who show initiative and good will to the forum. Though what you are saying is now true, I still hope someday BF will be good once more ... Perhaps when sc2 comes out it will be active again, who knows...

Level 22
Kinkarso is not the owner anymore, they change them like their socks. Now some DirtyDog is. And I'm just saying Kinkarso didn't think of a good competition. There is a HoN Beta Key competition if you are interested, I don't play HoN. This time it is not kinkarso but some others' idea so no lame posts competition=)

It reqs that you have 15 posts, so you do. Some newbs are like - Plz send HoN beta key to my email ..... . Lol. Like are they serious? It's a competition ...
---------

Now for 1.24b, I only wonder why didn't Blizzard add so far many new triggers like those from WEU that cn ease our mapmaking? I have reasons not to use any functions that are not in WE.

Level 8
Because they are lazy bastards. Anyways, you can find all that stuff from Jass anyways.

They should have added some more new and useful Jass functions, other than GetSpellTargetX and GetSpellTargetY.

Level 12
^^
Like Vikuna said, Blizz is the laziest when it comes to helping out us old-timers.
Just hand the game over to some one smart and cool, like Vexorian (Though im sure he has other things to do.)so that they actually DO something.
There are some many functions I could think of...
Can we at least get damage events?
Or like some natives that replace common functions? A few math functions to save time would be nice, like a polar projection native (Or one that does half of the projections, by return an X or Y value.)

Really, just gives us a chance to beat DotA. That is the main point of the hive. To give you something better to do than dota.

Level 12
^^
Like Vikuna said, Blizz is the laziest when it comes to helping out us old-timers.
Just hand the game over to some one smart and cool, like Vexorian (Though im sure he has other things to do.)so that they actually DO something.
There are some many functions I could think of...
Can we at least get damage events?
Or like some natives that replace common functions? A few math functions to save time would be nice, like a polar projection native (Or one that does half of the projections, by return an X or Y value.)

Really, just gives us a chance to beat DotA. That is the main point of the hive. To give you something better to do than dota.

The fact is why do you stick on a game that is going to die in a year, or so already dying with the casualties of many great maps? You witness hiveworkshop in your own eyes, this website's activity is decreasing every month... If blizzard is showing lack of attention on wc3 patches, they have a good reason.

Not to mention HoN will leech many dota players out of wc3.

Level 12
Umm..... (I nver know what to say)
I have no idea what HoN is.
Yes this game is falling, and we die when starcraft 2 comes out.
All of us here, will basically be doing stuff. No more idle dicussion like idea factory. (I'm gonna miss that if it dies. Trillium will be unemployed at most =D)
Really, all we have left is to say in 5 years:
"Hey man, remember Warcraft 3?"
"Bro that game was sweet. Let's go play some."

And you will play it, and then not touch it for another 5 years.
Basically, it is like one of those outdated games everyone loves, like Mariokart, or any other old platform.
Meh and meh friends allways play odl playstaion games. In fact, I even play some old namco games like pac-man (Dig-dug inflates pac-man's ass, and pac-man loses)

We just wanna have a good time while we can, is that okay to say?

Level 12
Umm..... (I nver know what to say)
I have no idea what HoN is.
Yes this game is falling, and we die when starcraft 2 comes out.
All of us here, will basically be doing stuff. No more idle dicussion like idea factory. (I'm gonna miss that if it dies. Trillium will be unemployed at most =D)
Really, all we have left is to say in 5 years:
"Hey man, remember Warcraft 3?"
"Bro that game was sweet. Let's go play some."

And you will play it, and then not touch it for another 5 years.
Basically, it is like one of those outdated games everyone loves, like Mariokart, or any other old platform.
Meh and meh friends allways play odl playstaion games. In fact, I even play some old namco games like pac-man (Dig-dug inflates pac-man's ass, and pac-man loses)

We just wanna have a good time while we can, is that okay to say?

You're right, but on a corporate's perspective, its a loss.

Kinkarso is no longer admin!? WTF !? To be honest the only reason why I visited that forum is because I had him as a friend. Now that reason is gone. I agree his contest idea should be better ... but at least we had some fun - I did xD
I know about HoN and I ahve friends who are interested. However I am not, I am not a fan of AoS. THW exists so people can make maps. If you want to beat Dota, then THW is not the place. wc3c is.

The reason why wc3 is dying is because people are giving too much attention and are expecting too much from sc2. Allied to this fact, Blizz updates since patch 1.20 simply destroyed everything the communities have built over time.
I see now it wc3 will obviously die, but I was expecting it to die on a different way. For me, I blame Blizz, and to be honest, I don't even know if I will buy sc2, since Blizz will just make another shit engine and screw it up with more patches and updates the next years.

Blizz could have and SHOULD have fixed more jass bugs and add new events. JASS bugs took years to the communities to find out, and now that Blizz has other priorities such as sc2 and diablo 3, no one will ever fix them. They only released 1.24b because they know they messed up bad with 1.24 and even knowing that, they will not fix all bugs patch 1.24 created.

Level 3
If you want to beat Dota, then THW is not the place. wc3c is.
WC3C gets almost no traffic and hasn't hosted a significant project since FM Vampire Hunters in 2003. THW gets as much traffic as the DotA forums. Nothing is going to unseat DotA at this point anyway, but if something were it would come through this site, not WC3C.

The reason why wc3 is dying is because people are giving too much attention and are expecting too much from sc2. Allied to this fact, Blizz updates since patch 1.20 simply destroyed everything the communities have built over time.
Other than DotA WC3 mapping was dead long before the SC2 announcement. Blizzard patches have been forcing us to rebuild maps since the beginning. This is not a recent phenomenon. (In fact, the project I mentioned above, FM Vampire Hunters, died due to Blizzard patches. This was in late 2003.)

Blizz could have and SHOULD have fixed more jass bugs and add new events. JASS bugs took years to the communities to find out, and now that Blizz has other priorities such as sc2 and diablo 3, no one will ever fix them. They only released 1.24b because they know they messed up bad with 1.24 and even knowing that, they will not fix all bugs patch 1.24 created.
WC3 has shortcomings. So does every other game. Blizzard is addressing these issues--in SC2. To expect them to indefinitely support an old game that isn't making them money anymore is silly. That's not how you run a successful business. Calm down and take a broader view of the situation. Your blood pressure will thank you for it.

Level 12
Damn corporate america. It's destroying our warcraft.
I hope some REALLY dedicated people, make some mod, that lets us continue with our wc3, without blizz's gay interfience, but I doubt that.
When some dota comes out starcraft, we all have lost...

Level 11
WC3C gets almost no traffic and hasn't hosted a significant project since FM Vampire Hunters in 2003. THW gets as much traffic as the DotA forums. Nothing is going to unseat DotA at this point anyway, but if something were it would come through this site, not WC3C.

Where are you getting your data from? THW doesn't come close to either of the DotA forums. Also, significant projects aren't hosted at some modding site so that argument is out the window.

Level 22
Kinkarso is no longer admin!? WTF !? To be honest the only reason why I visited that forum is because I had him as a friend. Now that reason is gone. I agree his contest idea should be better ... but at least we had some fun - I did xD

Kinkarso is still admin, I mean he's not the owner of BF anymore and you won't see him making announcements and organizing things as he did some time ago.

One has to make a choice - either be a mapmaker or player. So far I'm like 'Mr Everything' and I can't anymore. I made my choice, Phoenix. Getting more busy means I can enjoy being a player more, while I have little to no time for maps. For maps, at least for me who prefers futuristic stuff SC2 fits more again. But I'm looking to the more advanced, so considering I've played war3 for long means if they made War4, I would have to choose it over SC2.

Dota swallowed all - not only your maps but even players I've played with now play Dota only -_- I play this game jsut coz of a friend who plays it, so ofc idc about some silly HoN. War3 is dying because it is getting old, players playing it for years are tired of it, so am I. War3 is incredibly overabused and needs a change. Blizzard are done with Race Balances in the patches. What follows are some game fixes and like I said, they could soo add some GUI triggers for further patches but like some said, they are lazy asses.

Level 12
I know about HoN and I ahve friends who are interested. However I am not, I am not a fan of AoS. THW exists so people can make maps. If you want to beat Dota, then THW is not the place. wc3c is.

I see now it wc3 will obviously die, but I was expecting it to die on a different way. For me, I blame Blizz, and to be honest, I don't even know if I will buy sc2, since Blizz will just make another shit engine and screw it up with more patches and updates the next years.

You should read the sentece I bolded and rethink what you've said :con:. Sc2 has a powerful engine, a powerful editor that even you can customize the UI fully using the galaxy language. http://www.starcraft-source.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=1382

And without no doubt there is no reason to say that wc3c is a place to beat dota, clearly there aren't any maps I've seen in wc3c that makes the top 20 rank in mapgnomes other than eletd and notd. If you notice, metasis from THW has come across the top 20 lines. With your regard, wc3c or THW cannot beat DotA.

What I see is that wc3c and THW both have people to make maps better then Dota. Further more, they have good projects as well, however the fact that they are most of the times started by newbs with an un-organized team, related to an old game and that they have little or no publicity at all among players makes it hard for people to play them / like them.

A few months ago a few friends of mine told me the language was going to be called Galaxy. I thought it was a joke lol...
Seems not ... so far according to BF (a blizzard gaming forum) Galaxy will be very similar to C or C++ so I am quite interested.
Wc3 engine is also powerful, you can change anything with it, however the bugs it has and the patches Blizz released killed the interest most people had for it. I am guessing, though sc2 will be better, Blizz will just end up doing the same mistake.

@Cassiel: my blood pressure is normal dude, just relax, it is simply the way I talk on forums .... I look emo xD

I will see the link you gave me DoOs_101, I am curious =)

EDIT EDIT

After seeing the new ways of galaxy language on the site I am disappointed:
1 - I expected it to have at least a better damage detection engine
2 - I expected it to be more OOP allowing the use of structs (maybe it is an addiction from vJass xD)

This is what I got from the site, but ofc I can be wrong, I will have to wait to see.

Level 20
What I see is that wc3c and THW both have people to make maps better then Dota. Further more, they have good projects as well, however the fact that they are most of the times started by newbs with an un-organized team, related to an old game and that they have little or no publicity at all among players makes it hard for people to play them / like them.
The problem is not that newbs are unorganized or whatever, it's just that DotA has such a huge leap ahead of anyone who wants to compete that it's simply impossible to catch up, no matter how good the project is. "Being the new DotA" is such an unrealistic goal, I'm surprised people even think about it.

As for Galaxy, iirc it will be similar to C. Then again, Jass could also be considered similar to C.

Level 8
DotA is played a lot, because its popular. DotA is popular, because its played a lot.

It has a big fan base and stuff like that. All those people have spent hundreds of hours to learn all the weird unlogical shit from that map ( like whichs spells can be blocked with Linkens Sphere ) to become pros. They have put a lot of hard work to it, learning all the correct item and hero combinations, so they just dont wanna throw all that away and swhich to some other map, where they would be noobs.

Nothing is going to unseat DotA at this point anyway, but if something were it would come through this site, not WC3C

I guess this is the one reason why you moved UnitProperties from wc3c to here?

Level 12
All the popular maps (Civ wars and vamp fire) are NOT at hive, but their own little sites, with tiny little memberships.
We need some popular maps here. I seen a lot of Septimus maps on B.net lately. (Are you an idiot?)
Some DotA like maps are good medicine. (Hvo-Komobuster's Humans vs. Orcs is my favorite map, and I have gotten many people to follow me.) People who don't like Dota jsut because of the intenseness or jsut don't like it that much like these maps.
Let's see:
Dota takes over 70% of b.net
50% of Dota players play otjher maps as well
5% of Dota players know how to make maps.
2.5% of Dota players can write in GUI
.8% of Dota players can even write in Jass
20% of DotA players said "I wish I could make something like this." or "I could do better than this."
Thanks gamers survey site! Those DotA players are idiots, so let's make them smarter.

Level 22
Good point Viikuna, I don't care about Dota but it is like a melee to some extent - it's competitive and has tournaments and has pros and noobs, which can't be said for an RPG for example. That's why it is so played, get it?

People want to compete, to play with others, to own each other, not to own some customized boss unit. It's called esports, the competition in Computer games, not to say you may win Prizes sponsored often by well known companies. Sadly, Dota competition took over melee, not just maps. Now we see ex-proz playing Dota. This can't happen in any projects here, so people just like to compete. And ofc it doesn't hurt people to play RPGs and stuff like that but that's why Dota > all else. Face reality.

Level 12
After seeing the new ways of galaxy language on the site I am disappointed:
1 - I expected it to have at least a better damage detection engine
2 - I expected it to be more OOP allowing the use of structs (maybe it is an addiction from vJass xD)

You don't need OOP to program a really good map. The link I gave you was a general summary, we still don't know all the possibilities since they gave BETA only to few ppl so far...

A few months ago a few friends of mine told me the language was going to be called Galaxy. I thought it was a joke lol...
Seems not ... so far according to BF (a blizzard gaming forum) Galaxy will be very similar to C or C++ so I am quite interested.
Wc3 engine is also powerful, you can change anything with it, however the bugs it has and the patches Blizz released killed the interest most people had for it. I am guessing, though sc2 will be better, Blizz will just end up doing the same mistake.

I hope not, they really put alot of thought into Sc2, even with the coming of Bnet 2.0 marketplace.

I do feel the same way that some projects in both forums should earn the popularity of DotA. However, I've said this a few times, the Bnet is comprised of people who play wc3 for DotA. Many pvpgn private servers made because of DotA, and the mindset of those many people doesn't work like we do. When they play a different map, they think "wtf is this?" because they're comparing it to dota...

Edit*, to beat dota you need to have a messed up DJ to create a very hideous song for your map. Yes don't even ask, there is a techno song for DotA, even a music video of it...

Level 7
No one mentioned gex yet, while Castle Fight, eeve TD and You TD are often hosted on battle.net europe.

If you must choose one map to defeat dota with than i think castle fight will be the best choise. It has quite large fan base and i think gex is also a very good mapper. At least castle fight runs very smooth. I think almost no memory leaks.

His idea of an open source TD is also brilliant.

from eeve.org:
-- The engine --
The map offers an extremely sophisticated trigger engine that allows tower creators to make really unique abilities with just a few lines of JASS code.
Here are a few examples of what can be done with this trigger engine and how many lines of code (approximately) will be needed for it:

* Creating a chainlightning that can critically hit: 0 Lines of code(!) Every spell in YouTD is able to critically hit by default.
* Creating a chainlightning that stuns all targets it hits and is automatically cast on 20% of all attacks: 12 lines of code
* Creating a chainlightning that
o stuns all targets it hits
o deals 150% damage to undead units
o deals only 80% damage to air units
o gets 10% stronger with each tower level
o is automatically cast on 20% of all attacks
o Creeps killed by this spell grant 50% more bounty
o Creeps killed by this spell have an increased chance to drop an item
20 lines of code

Level 12
No one mentioned gex yet, while Castle Fight, eeve TD and You TD are often hosted on battle.net europe.

If you must choose one map to defeat dota with than i think castle fight will be the best choise. It has quite large fan base and i think gex is also a very good mapper. At least castle fight runs very smooth. I think almost no memory leaks.

His idea of an open source TD is also brilliant.

from eeve.org:

Yep, forgot to mention that, Castle Fight is very strategic, alot of players in private server plays DotA and if they're bored they go for Castle Fight.

Level 12
Castle fight is fun, and Is a good choice.
Teh only thing a lot of people do besides dota, is single player maps, mainly being campaigns.
I've seen a lot of single-player stuff spawn up, and I am not sure how many will finish. I do know that people still play signle player, especially those who don't got constant connectiosn to the internet for Warcraft (I have a wireless device, athat can only be on one comp, so b.net is one of theose once 2 weeks things.

Garena is helping fuel a lot of Dota like-maps, but mainly dota itself.
DotA is the new melee as someone said. If only we could flash cash prizes like it does. Then we could get attention.

Level 10
There is no SetHandleId. GetHandleId returns a semi-unique integer representing the handle (unique at any one moment in time, but it can be recycled when the handle is destroyed)--it is not a GetUnitUserData equivalent.

i mean in Gui u can set Key
exemple :
  • Hashtable - Save Temp_Integer_1 as (Key level) of (Key (Picked unit)) in Ameratsu_Hash
in this i can set the Key(pickedunit) in normal we BUT I CANT AT ALL in jngp meaning of this i cannot do any hashtable in jngp unless i make it in we and importing them in jngp ....but i use structs with hashtable so i cannot save my map in normal we .... did i miss an update o_O.....i might have to learn advanced jass if theres no solution

WHY THE HECK BLIZZARD DONT LET NORMAL WE ACCEPT VJASS in the compile....its would be great for poeple like me o_O

for the fact of dota, i agree no1 will ever make a game better than dota......unless some1 make a better copy XD, but i think, new map could second dota, i saw most of anime aos and they all fail my test, i can do better than most of anime aos >.> best exemple Battlestadium don i can do same graphic..... maybe dota will die in wc3 when sc2 dota will come O_O...would be my greatest wish

Omega Shenron : Your wish is granted (XD lol ^^)

Level 10
yes sure 8mb is a good thing...... but did you imagine how much time it would take to download a map in bnet of 8mb ............... XD i recommand u made an e-z link to make poeple download...cuz 8mb with a low connection O_O its take huge time

Status
Not open for further replies.