• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

1.24b Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
from eeve.org:
I am offended... if you think this is complex you should see my project and CMS.
I would like to say that 8MB maps are the best feature of this patch in my opinion. Really makes it easier for me to finish my maps...
Sure ... I would like to know how I am going to finish mine now ... oh wait I can't Blizz killed it with a shadowing bug ...
My point is, Blizz didn't need to f*** up all maps on the world to increase map file size ... they could have done it without killing everything else.

Btw, can anyone confirm that it is safe to use Hashtables now?

Level 12
I am offended... if you think this is complex you should see my project and CMS.

Sure ... I would like to know how I am going to finish mine now ... oh wait I can't Blizz killed it with a shadowing bug ...
My point is, Blizz didn't need to f*** up all maps on the world to increase map file size ... they could have done it without killing everything else.

Btw, can anyone confirm that it is safe to use Hashtables now?

Why am I getting the urge to point this out that most wc3c senior members are arrogant?

Arrogance is a weakness that blinds anyone who believe they will never fail.

And stop complaining pls, you're project is obviously worthless, program properly!

Blizzard was trying to prevent collided maps which was a big issue for DotA and other popular maps, this patch has nothing to do with screwing over ppls map! Because those maps weren't coded properly either, now that they've added the implementation of hashtables and thanks to vex for GetHandleId, everything is fine!

Level 12
F_P isn't at wc3c, so it's okay! Also, it isn't arrogance if you really are better.

Total bullshit. This doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Well he ain't because none of his projects or maps could compare to Geev's castle fight or youtd, yet he valued himself and his project greater than those two brilliant maps...

And its true, 8mb feature will only benefit a few, who the heck would download your frigit mysterious map for 1 minute, assuming average upstream is around 130kbps, not to mention it usually goes down below 32...

Level 10
i think poeple will need to advertise there map and get strong download link ....i cant blame evry1 xcept blizzard ; sure the 8mb is good, but its another pain in the ass with more complication that involve new hashtable and screwing lot map ,code & wc3 program......

Does we really need hashtable & 8mb ? i think hives mostly support jass use!!!

8mb mean more crap for new map maker..... i think 6mb would be enough..... im agree with PurplePoot & DoOs_101

Level 7
My GOD. A WHOLE MINUTE?

My upload speed in theory is 256kbps, in reality it rarely goes above 100 kbps upload speed. So when i want to host a 8 mb map on b.net with 8 players total than i must wait a minimum of 640 seconds. In case no one leaves, the upload rate never drops, no one else with an even worse interet connection,...
So probably +-15mins just to start the map.

Level 12
My upload speed in theory is 256kbps, in reality it rarely goes above 100 kbps upload speed. So when i want to host a 8 mb map on b.net with 8 players total than i must wait a minimum of 640 seconds. In case no one leaves, the upload rate never drops, no one else with an even worse interet connection,...

Its also mainly because of the server I think, Blizzard must've cut back some bandwidth and speed for old servers, speaking of which maintaining them do costs alot of money. I believe in Sc2 it will be different.

Yet again, the point is, the only solution is to advertise your map consistently to a download page like that of getdota.com. Or just make a bunch of threads around modding forums and link them to hiveworkshop download page.

And stop complaining pls, you're project is obviously worthless, program properly!
Sure, and you say I am arrogant ... try looking to a mirror it may help you see who's arrogant after all.
Total bullshit. This doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Agreed. 8MB benefits all maps, doesn't matter if they are popular or not.
Well he ain't because none of his projects or maps could compare to Geev's castle fight or youtd, yet he valued himself and his project greater than those two brilliant maps...
Greatness depends on the perspective. In my opinion a great map is a well coded map with things that make me wonder how the magic works inside. I refuse to accept JASS maps or even GUI maps as great maps. The reason why I include Dota in the bag of "not great maps" is because most people I know (including I) will make any spell from Dota with ease using the latest community standards.
The other maps you refer are also not that hard to do, most people at wc3c and many people here could replicate those spells and systems easily or even better ...
My GOD. A WHOLE MINUTE?
A minute to download a map!? Screw it, I am going home xD
If people aren't patient enough to download the map, I don't think they will be patient enough to learn how to play it... I agree waiting lots of time is quite boring, but that's why God created THW and Wc3c and websites so people can dl maps faster... I don't see it as a great issue.
But this is only my opinion. I also can't understand when people cry about long loading times when they actually remove most lag from a game xD

Level 12
Sure, and you say I am arrogant ... try looking to a mirror it may help you see who's arrogant after all.

Agreed. 8MB benefits all maps, doesn't matter if they are popular or not.

Greatness depends on the perspective. In my opinion a great map is a well coded map with things that make me wonder how the magic works inside. I refuse to accept JASS maps or even GUI maps as great maps. The reason why I include Dota in the bag of "not great maps" is because most people I know (including I) will make any spell from Dota with ease using the latest community standards.
The other maps you refer are also not that hard to do, most people at wc3c and many people here could replicate those spells and systems easily or even better ...

A minute to download a map!? Screw it, I am going home xD
If people aren't patient enough to download the map, I don't think they will be patient enough to learn how to play it... I agree waiting lots of time is quite boring, but that's why God created THW and Wc3c and websites so people can dl maps faster... I don't see it as a great issue.
But this is only my opinion. I also can't understand when people cry about long loading times when they actually remove most lag from a game xD

You're pushing it too far and your claims are too generic. I don't want to cause a catastrophic debate to this thread, but just to point out that 1 minute download is a FACT, and 8 mb feature will only benefit popular map is also a FACT, great maps are those mostly played is a FACT (note that blizzard only mentions DotA in any briefings), and the fact that you're pushing it too far and claiming other people's work less valuable than yours without even considering the statistics makes you arrogant a FACT.

Thank you, have a nice day kid.

You're pushing it too far and your claims are too generic. I don't want to cause a catastrophic debate to this thread, but just to point out that 1 minute download is a FACT, and 8 mb feature will only benefit popular map is also a FACT, great maps are those mostly played is a FACT (note that blizzard only mentions DotA in any briefings), and the fact that you're pushing it too far and claiming other people's work less valuable than yours without even considering the statistics makes you arrogant a FACT.
define FACT: behaviour or situation that does not depend on one's perspective nor point of view.
You are not stating facts, you are instead making ridiculous assumptions. Perhaps I know something about those "great projects" you talk about? Perhaps 8MB will not only benefit great maps? Perhaps, and just perhaps, you already started the debate you are so desperate to avoid? Perhaps, your assumptions don't make you only arrogant, they also make you look childish and stubborn.

It is the third time you assume something about me which is wrong. I will not keep correcting you forever.

This is the last post in which I will refer this discussion. This is now becoming way too off-topic if you wish to keep this going, then do it right and use the PM system. Other people don't need to listen to your miss judged opinions and subjective facts. Get over it.
Mission 6 ,, The Culling " in classic warcraft doesn't work at all.
Now this is amazing. Blizz managed to kill their own campaign. How hilarious...

Level 12
Fact: Average upstream in bnet is 130kbps, even so usually goes down to 32kbps. That means 1 minute for one person to download an 8 mb map from an average joe internet, assuming does not come below 130.

Fact: Majority of bnet players leave faster than they download, a proportion of downloaders even leave after they successfully download the map. This condition causes many hosters to get discouraged at hosting non-popular maps.

Fact: Castle Fight is one of the most played maps in private dota servers, which means that it has penetrate the consumer level of Dotaholics, which means it has a great population of fans.

Fact: Blizzard released patch 1.24 to fix an exploit on world editor commonly known as the return bug which can be used by Hackers to create collided maps. Collided maps are maps injected with cheat triggers yet still be detected as the same version of the original map.

PurplePoot said:
Tim, you don't play on battle.net--you don't know how bad it is. You can't get a large game started because people leave as fast or faster than they download. However, quite frankly, seeing as it's about a 15 minute wait for a 4mb map to be downloaded by 11 non-hosts, I can't blame them.

Vulcano said:

http://www.mapgnome.org/browse/sort-hosted/east/1 --> Look for the no.1 map on the list.

http://www.eeve.org/board/viewforum.php?f=27

What is my solution?

Stop saying F**K to Blizzard and stop saying this patch is a monumental f**K up.

This patch is great, not only did it solve a very dangerous loophole for DotA (collided maps), but it also adds hashtable features which works great and with them, GUI people can now create almost any MUI spells without JASS.

Last edited:
Blizzard released patch 1.24 to fix an exploit on world editor commonly known as the return bug which can be used by Hackers to create collided maps. Collided maps are maps injected with cheat triggers yet still be detected as the same version of the original map.
This was their innitial idea, but they managed to go a lot further ... unfortunately for us ...
Since you like facts...
Fact:Blizz could have added Hastables and increased map size without screwing up and killing half projects on b.net plus some tools.
Also ... Blizz killed it's own campaign ... I see that as a total mess up ... correct me if I am wrong, but Single Player campaign should at least work without dying ... is the whole campaign poorly coded as well? Maybe wc3 is all poorly coded, this way all your arguments make full sense.

This patch is great, not only did it solve a very dangerous loophole for DotA (collided maps), but it also adds hashtable features which works great and with them, GUI people can now create almost any MUI spells without JASS.
Jesus God ... you seriously don't know what you are talking about.
My point is: this patch gave us good stuff, I agree, but the price we paid was far to high.
Try reading this thread for a list of bugs patch 1.24 and 1.24b gave us:
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=106305&page=49

This link also has some solutions so it might actually help people around here, though I believe most people know this thread.
And it is incomplete ... there are also other threads, but I think that is the biggest.

Level 12
This was their innitial idea, but they managed to go a lot further ... unfortunately for us ...
Since you like facts...
Fact:Blizz could have added Hastables and increased map size without screwing up and killing half projects on b.net plus some tools.
Also ... Blizz killed it's own campaign ... I see that as a total mess up ... correct me if I am wrong, but Single Player campaign should at least work without dying ... is the whole campaign poorly coded as well? Maybe wc3 is all poorly coded, this way all your arguments make full sense.

Jesus God ... you seriously don't know what you are talking about.
My point is: this patch gave us good stuff, I agree, but the price we paid was far to high.
Try reading this thread for a list of bugs patch 1.24 and 1.24b gave us:
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=106305&page=49

This link also has some solutions so it might actually help people around here, though I believe most people know this thread.
And it is incomplete ... there are also other threads, but I think that is the biggest.

For your information, blizzard could've added hashtables long time ago, but the issue with people's map getting screwed over has to do with an exploit that hackers use to create collided maps. Your map ain't popular enough to expirience this kind of issue, but for popular maps like DotA, it stinks, we can't tell the difference between collided maps and real maps. They use the cheats privately by typing them to observers. You have to really parse all games to figure out who is Cheating.

People who used the return bug had this coming. Using the return bug has several problems and even before patch 1.24 some communities considered it's use something bad because it could cause gamecache corruption not to talk about low code readability and other issues that took years to find. Dota as you know it uses the return bug. Patch 1.24 was supposed to kill Dota since it is poorly coded, however Blizz created a special compatibility mode that only works for it. I don't think CrazyFrog would want to recode Dota because of the cheating issues. Sure it was a problem, but the price to fix it would be to high. Good for him they found another way ....

I agree this needed to be fixed, but when doing so they also introduced new bugs. This is what I am trying to say here, I am sorry for repeating myself, but I need to be sure my message was clear...

Level 12
People who used the return bug had this coming. Using the return bug has several problems and even before patch 1.24 some communities considered it's use something bad because it could cause gamecache corruption not to talk about low code readability and other issues that took years to find. Dota as you know it uses the return bug. Patch 1.24 was supposed to kill Dota since it is poorly coded, however Blizz created a special compatibility mode that only works for it. I don't think CrazyFrog would want to recode Dota because of the cheating issues. Sure it was a problem, but the price to fix it would be to high. Good for him they found another way ....

I agree this needed to be fixed, but when doing so they also introduced new bugs. This is what I am trying to say here, I am sorry for repeating myself, but I need to be sure my message was clear...

How do you know DotA is poorly coded? I've played 6.62 many times and it seems to work fine, no bugs, IceFrog rewrote many systems.

Blizzard has just released patch 1.24b (on the version number listed as 1.24.1 rather than 1.24.0) a few hours ago, fixing the false positives and the false negatives in return bug finding, which in turn will hopefully "fix" a lot of maps broken by 1.24. While the changelog listed some other changes, those were all added (unannounced) to 1.24 at the last minute and thus this patch is basically just a fix of the mess that 1.24 created for coders.

What non-fixed bugs are you referring to?

Curious:
JASS:
native TriggerRegisterVariableEvent takes trigger whichTrigger, string varName, limitop opcode, real limitval returns event

I missed this new native, it seems useful, my question is...

limitop: What is it?
limitval: What is it?

Level 20
DoOs_101 said:
Blizzard released patch 1.24 to fix an exploit on world editor commonly known as the return bug which can be used by Hackers to create collided maps. Collided maps are maps injected with cheat triggers yet still be detected as the same version of the original map.
The patch was first and foremost intended to fix the issue of 'virus maps': maps that could run machine code and do whatever the hell they want with your computer, outside of Wc3's normal boundaries.

DoOs_101 said:
How do you know DotA is poorly coded? I've played 6.62 many times and it seems to work fine, no bugs, IceFrog rewrote many systems.
Ever sneaked a peek at a protected map's war3map.j?

EDIT: I think I remember seeing that line commented out of old war3map.j... I have no idea what it does.

Level 12
The patch was first and foremost intended to fix the issue of 'virus maps': maps that could run machine code and do whatever the hell they want with your computer, outside of Wc3's normal boundaries.

Ever sneaked a peek at a protected map's war3map.j?

EDIT: I think I remember seeing that line commented out of old war3map.j... I have no idea what it does.

Never, protected war3map.j is messed up, hard to read.

Anyways their intention to fix collided maps came first, because the virus map is a new exploit introduced in 1.24, when 1.24 was intended to prevent collided maps.

Level 12
Having the maps break was not good. Having us saved from viruses was good also.
It hard wether or not to decide which is greater. Good or bad, but we have to deal with this now.
Hash is really good, mainly because it is safer and faster than the gay lame game cache.
BUT blizz f***ed up half of the campaigns I play, and apparantly as flame says their own.
Blizz is just stupid. (But a damn corporate who is too (as some say) "poor" to waste a little amount of money on us.)

Btw: I would also be curious about that native.
EDIT: That native was already there as someone said (Flame). It jsut detects when a variable changes or something. If is buggy, and doesn't work with real arrays. (?)
Plus why the F*ck did you use a whole damn jass block. Use the "ljass" tags.

Level 20
DoOs_101 said:
Anyways their intention to fix collided maps came first, because the virus map is a new exploit introduced in 1.24, when 1.24 was intended to prevent collided maps.
???? The virus map exploit was only successful by abuse of the return bug with code type variables... And now since the return bug is impossible, that exploit is fixed. Blizzard quickly jumped to fix this issue since they thought it was very important.

Where are you getting your info anyway?

Also, seems that you're right about variable changing, vosty. Neat, I never knew about that.

Level 12
That is kinda a cool native, but I don;t know what half the paramaters do.
Why can't they fix EVERYTHING beside code returns?
That was the only thing that was bugged.
He is probaly getting him info form Korune.
I hate korune, he never tells us anything in full detail. He showed us all the new natives, and just said, go figure em out, and go download stupid westfall stuff to useit.

Level 12
???? The virus map exploit was only successful by abuse of the return bug with code type variables... And now since the return bug is impossible, that exploit is fixed. Blizzard quickly jumped to fix this issue since they thought it was very important.

Where are you getting your info anyway?

Also, seems that you're right about variable changing, vosty. Neat, I never knew about that.

No way, collided maps already exist before patch 1.24 came out, famous collided maps target DotA 6.61b which was released in 1.22, and private dota servers are still having collided map issues because they haven't updated to patch 1.24b yet. That exploit was gone after 1.24, but I don't understand how the virus map exploit came along.

Level 12
That is kinda a cool native, but I don;t know what half the paramaters do.
Why can't they fix EVERYTHING beside code returns?
That was the only thing that was bugged.
He is probaly getting him info form Korune.
I hate korune, he never tells us anything in full detail. He showed us all the new natives, and just said, go figure em out, and go download stupid westfall stuff to useit.

Thats because he is buisy with sc2 stuff.

Level 22
Lol Lol Lol. Only newbies download maps other than footmen frezny that dls fast from hosts ... Especially if you know a map is big wow..

As for Karune being busy, year right, he's sp busy that they delayed the game for 1 year later, as if they have soo much to add throughout that time. There are patches and stuff, the game seems ready at least for a beta. I think we won't expect anything more than what we have now to justify the waiting for another year.

How do you know DotA is poorly coded?
Because with a help of some friends we managed to hack Dota's map and see how poorly coded it was. This was some while ago, few days after patch 1.24 Frog was still using the return bug. This is how I know it.
Hash is really good, mainly because it is safer and faster than the gay lame game cache.
I heard HashTable has some problems and bugs from 1.24. I am not sure if 1.24b fixed them all. Can anyone confirm this?
As for Karune being busy, year right, he's sp busy that they delayed the game for 1 year later, as if they have soo much to add throughout that time. There are patches and stuff, the game seems ready at least for a beta. I think we won't expect anything more than what we have now to justify the waiting for another year.
The last time I checked they were still adding stuff to the campaign. If I remember correctly, Blizzard is being helped by Blizz Movies company in order to make the campaigns navigation system look more real. I am not sure if this information is still up to date though.
Even if the game is ready and running, personally I don't mind waiting 1 year as long as they use that year to upgrade the core engine and Galaxy language.

Level 20
DoOs_101 said:
[...]but I don't understand how the virus map exploit came along.
You know, you could just read the blatantly obvious news threads either here or on wc3c.

Karune says so himself:
Karune said:
Following our temporary fix to address the recently identified Warcraft III exploit, we have begun preparations to implement a permanent resolution of the issue on Battle.net. As a consequence of this fix (which prevents the possibility of malicious software being spread through Warcraft III maps), we do anticipate that some functionality in current maps will need to be adjusted before it will work properly. Before deploying the fix, we’ll be working closely with the makers of some of the most popular maps to ensure that their maps continue to stay playable on Battle.net with little to no interruption. [...]

Level 2
I want ask a thing: do jassnewgenpack and expecially TESH works with the new version of worldeditor? Because If i go on the menu and click on something like "Enable TESH" (or all other options) nothing happens (even the "tick" doesn't appear/get removed), can someone give me some hints?

Level 22
As I said, 1.24 still has HAXXXORZ. They r doing it to make Shadowfrench's and other hackers' crap crash but instead damages everyones maps and i think no effect on Haxxorz.

Fenix, 1 last note for BF, here is an example of how 'moderated' it is ... I think THW will be my new internet home.

Level 12
You know, you could just read the blatantly obvious news threads either here or on wc3c.

Karune says so himself:

None of the threads explain how the virus exploit came to being. I was also aware of that news thread in Hiveworkshop...

Even if the game is ready and running, personally I don't mind waiting 1 year as long as they use that year to upgrade the core engine and Galaxy language.

You speak like you already have the galaxy language right in-front of you. Are you even applying for a BETA? Please, no such mod scripting language has had OOP, you talk as if the half life script language is an Object Oriented Programming language?

lol :grin:...

Level 7
@doos: I never said the patch sucked, i even find it a good patch with the hashtables.
The only thing i wanted to say that it will takes you a lot of time to host an unpopular 8 mb map. Making the 4 -> 8 MB host limit not very useful except for gex and icefrog.

Level 3
You speak like you already have the galaxy language right in-front of you. Are you even applying for a BETA? Please, no such mod scripting language has had OOP, you talk as if the half life script language is an Object Oriented Programming language?
Source doesn't use a scripting language. Everything is done in C++.

Level 12
Because with a help of some friends we managed to hack Dota's map and see how poorly coded it was. This was some while ago, few days after patch 1.24 Frog was still using the return bug. This is how I know it.

I heard HashTable has some problems and bugs from 1.24. I am not sure if 1.24b fixed them all. Can anyone confirm this?

Awesome. The only thing Icefrog is good at is terrains. (De does okay for only blizz doodads mostly. Now that is gonna change.)

Um...
I remeber a list of hash functions that we're messed up on wc3c.net, but I can't find it anymore. They may or may not have all been fixed though.

Korune and his Korean likeness of Starcraft.
Make galaxy OOP, or we will anyway (But it can never be TRUE OOP if we make it, so we are at a loss.)

I don't assume Galaxy is ready. To be honest I know it is still under development and that it will still suffer changes until its release. I don't mind waiting as long as those changes and significant and positive.
As for scripting languages and OOP, that is possible, just take Java as an example.
Make galaxy OOP, or we will anyway
You can't find a better quote around here ... JASS and vJASS are the perfect examples.
Fenix, 1 last note for BF, here is an example of how 'moderated' it is ... I think THW will be my new internet home.
Holy S*** ....

Level 12
I don't assume Galaxy is ready. To be honest I know it is still under development and that it will still suffer changes until its release. I don't mind waiting as long as those changes and significant and positive.
As for scripting languages and OOP, that is possible, just take Java as an example.

You can't find a better quote around here ... JASS and vJASS are the perfect examples.

Holy S*** ....

Yes but can you list great games that are made by Java? None. They all commonly use c++. c++ also has OOP features, but it is not ideal to create a scripting language that is OOP.

Last edited:
Level 40
Yes but can you list games that are made by Java? None. They all commonly use c++. c++ also has OOP features, but it is not ideal to create a scripting language that is OOP.
Commercial products? Very few, if any. Free stuff? Tons. However, that is pointless, as it's like saying "do you know how many spaceships NASA controls with perl? None. That's right, none!" (completely irrelevant to the point of the language).

Also, C++ is not truly OOP, as it does not have objects at runtime.

Finally, I'm highly confused as to why you consider yourself an authority on the difficulty of writing scripting languages which follow various paradigms.

Level 12
Commercial products? Very few, if any. Free stuff? Tons. However, that is pointless, as it's like saying "do you know how many spaceships NASA controls with perl? None. That's right, none!" (completely irrelevant to the point of the language).

Also, C++ is not truly OOP, as it does not have objects at runtime.

Finally, I'm highly confused as to why you consider yourself an authority on the difficulty of writing scripting languages which follow various paradigms.

That was where I was trying to head him to, my point is that you don't need OOP to create a good game or a good map. Even though it helps the programmer on a structural basis, there are many mods and many games that are created without the implementation of OOP.

Flame_Pheonix said:
After seeing the new ways of galaxy language on the site I am disappointed:
1 - I expected it to have at least a better damage detection engine
2 - I expected it to be more OOP allowing the use of structs (maybe it is an addiction from vJass xD)

Flame_Pheonix said:

Flame_Pheonix said:
Make galaxy OOP, or we will anyway

So knowing this, it helps that you stop complaining about galaxy not having OOP features...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.