• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is Warcraft 3 Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hey there, I don't know if there are any other threads like this. If there is please delete this one.

The title says it all, is warcraft 3 dead? or what do you think?

I think after dota2 came out it has been pretty dead but I may be wrong..

Level 25
Nope.
Launched Battle.net (EU) yesterday, it was still alive. Sure, I wish the bots would just all shut up so we could have the chat back from the old days, but at least you know that the host won't lagg out like it sometimes did back in the good old days.

Level 30
Blizzard never continued Warcraft III at least for me but there is in no way it's dead. There are still many users here and not only here but from other War3 modding sites who mods Warcraft III but the players are decreasing though.

Level 9
Err hmm... As long as we still have this Hive, Epicwar, mods for Warcraft 3, anwsome project for War3, War3 will NEVER be dead. Is just old.

Level 11
I joined a game who was already up
Well i guess you are right it is not really dead but as hellmaster said the players are decreasing more and more. And i dont think everyone who are modding is playing wc3 on bnet aswell. So you cant really count the modders as players only if they play the game aswell.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Gogo wc4!
Oh god, no, please let the warcraft franchise die with the dignity it deserves. Don't repeat the same mistake SC2 did.

@topic:
Warcraft III is well ... dead. There, I said it. The amount of players is decreasing with any day and wouldn't we have the overwhelming playerbase of asians on garena, I think that day would have come far earlier.

It's weird that some of the best mods for Warcraft III all came out many years after WC3 reached its peak. There's so many good projects and resources now. Heck, with Wurst and SharpCraft, we even got completely new standards in scripting freedom.

It's sad that almost nobody is gonna make use of all those incredible resources anymore. There's almost no more alive popular mapping projects.
When speaking for myself, I'd love to map more for WC3. I love what I'm doing here, but I just don't have the time for it anymore.
Mapping is such a time consuming process. I wish it wouldn't be that way.

Level 6
I was just about to ask the same question hahah but yeah it seems their is more bots than players on battle.net

Who knows of any famous forum or channel in battle.net where all the remaining players are? Or if west is better than east etc

Level 23
It's sad that almost nobody is gonna make use of all those incredible resources anymore. There's almost no more alive popular mapping projects.
u wot m8?

The Map Development forum is bursting at the seams with projects. There are eight pages of pending maps in the queue, and counting. (Maybe not using all those incredible resources, but then again, maybe those incredible resources solved problems nobody actually had. That's software for ya.)

WC3 has been quote-unquote "dead" for years and this place is still buzzing. Sure, not buzzing as much as it might once have been, but still buzzing. (I'll leave it up to you to decide whether it's the good buzz or the bad buzz.) WC3 "died" when WoW came out, it "died" when SC2 came out. How many times has it died? How many times in the last ten years have we seen threads asking this exact same question? How many times do grouchy old men like me have to reply NO before people stop moping about how dead the community is and get back to just flopping around having fun?

tl;dr no. It's only as dead as you let it be.

Level 11
Oh god, no, please let the warcraft franchise die with the dignity it deserves. Don't repeat the same mistake SC2 did.
I don't really see your point, SC2 is a really successfull game?

WC3 has been quote-unquote "dead" for years and this place is still buzzing. Sure, not buzzing as much as it might once have been, but still buzzing. (I'll leave it up to you to decide whether it's the good buzz or the bad buzz.) WC3 "died" when WoW came out, it "died" when SC2 came out. How many times has it died? How many times in the last ten years have we seen threads asking this exact same question? How many times do grouchy old men like me have to reply NO before people stop moping about how dead the community is and get back to just flopping around having fun?

tl;dr no. It's only as dead as you let it be.
However i disagree with a few points there.. I find your definition of dead very peculiar. Wc3 didn't die when WoW came out, nor when SC2 came out, however the player number went down by a whole lot. I guess most of them played both Wc3 and WoW when WoW just came out, atleast me and my friends did.
My definition of dead is when you only play Wc3 for special occasions like LAN-party and stuff. And when people prefer to play other games instead of it. I do not know or see many people thinking "Oh! I feel like playing a game.. hmm Lets play Wc3!" nonono it is more like the new modern games.

I made this thread because I did not see any other thread like this one. Sorry for being repetitive :p

Well the last part I agree with you it is not dead yet, but it may come to an end soon(years), and even though it is sad, they are facts.

Level 32
Battle.net beats Garena by far (In my opinion). It's alive. I play games like Risk, Azeroth Wars, and multiple Arena's and TD's just by snapping my finger. It's old, over a decade old yes. But the community is still awesome.

About the bots, what's so bad about them? Many games aren't even autohosted anymore.

Level 6
Battle.net beats Garena by far (In my opinion). It's alive. I play games like Risk, Azeroth Wars, and multiple Arena's and TD's just by snapping my finger. It's old, over a decade old yes. But the community is still awesome.

About the bots, what's so bad about them? Many games aren't even autohosted anymore.

no the bots are fine, i mean like whats the best channel on battle.net where all the active players are

Or is west more active than east.

cause ill host a game and literally no one will join

Level 8
You'll find lists of hosted games (and the number of players in them) at sites such as makemehost.com or ents gaming/forums section. These games fill up very quickly compared to others since people can find them more easily and know what they are joining.

Also, I host a warcraft custom map and campaign themed YouTube channel (very new) that proves the game is no where near dead. The channel just broke 1K subs and I hope you'll stop by for tutorials, lists of games that still play often and just to have fun.

Azothan on YouTube and you'll find it. Add your favorite custom game to the search criteria to see if I've reviewed it yet and if not, let me know what games you suggest in the comments.

Level 9
You'll find lists of hosted games (and the number of players in them) at sites such as makemehost.com or ents gaming/forums section. These games fill up very quickly compared to others since people can find them more easily and know what they are joining.

Also, I host a warcraft custom map and campaign themed YouTube channel (very new) that proves the game is no where near dead. The channel just broke 1K subs and I hope you'll stop by for tutorials, lists of games that still play often and just to have fun.

Azothan on YouTube and you'll find it. Add your favorite custom game to the search criteria to see if I've reviewed it yet and if not, let me know what games you suggest in the comments.

Yep, more than 1000 subscribers is enough proof that Warcraft 3 still live (even know you are lower than PewDiePie, sorry for off-topic.)

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
As I said how many of you are actually PLAYING this game activly??
That's exactly my point. The modding community is still active - not even close to what it was several years ago, but at least somewhat.

The number of projects alive is decreasing. The reason why people do not notice this is that - at the same time - the overall quality of projects is increasing due to all the new advancements and discoveries in scripting and tools.
There's less projects in general, but those alive are of higher quality. I suppose this is because most "amateurish" mapmakers usually move on to other games at a certain point, leaving only those die-hard mappers active in the community.

This is actually a good thing, but the problem is: the number of actual PLAYERS is decreasing rapidly. To a point where there is almost more modders than players.
And the drop of players compared to several years ago is huge.
When I log in to bnet on unusual times (like early at the morning), there's almost nobody joining any games. You can only play very popular maps and only at common activity times. The only reason why there's still some players joining popular games is due to hostbots now working across all servers.

I don't really see your point, SC2 is a really successfull game?
Commercial success, yes. That's because a lot of players rushed the stores to buy it and pay the absurdly high price (blizzard games pricing policy is ridicolous lately). Most people played the single player campaign and then moved on to other games.
E-Sports in SC2 is still not even close as successful as SC E-sports was back in the days. And SC2 already reached its player peak! Much earlier than WC3 did (which makes sense, considering WC3 was a gaming milestone back in its days). And the third expansion isn't even released!
The modding community for SC2 is more alive than the community for WC3 - but we need to consider that WC3 is over a decade old! If we compare SC2 now to the community WC3 or SC had after their first expansion, the differences are enormous.

From a financial perspective, SC2 was a success. But they completely failed to support the modding community right from the start to keep it alive. The fact that it took blizzard YEARS to release their art tools to the public is just a shame.
It's obvious the Blizzard gives a shit about SC2 modding. They got the initial money from SC2. That's all that matters.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
@Zwiebelchen then why are you moderating puppets, ahem I meant WC3? What's the point in it then?
That's the issue. There is no real point in modding anymore, other than personal satisfaction or fun taken out of the actual modding.

The possible audience is very limited.

Then again, if only one person likes what you are doing, it's already worth it, they say.

Level 11
From a financial perspective, SC2 was a success. But they completely failed to support the modding community right from the start to keep it alive. The fact that it took blizzard YEARS to release their art tools to the public is just a shame.
It's obvious the Blizzard gives a shit about SC2 modding. They got the initial money from SC2. That's all that matters.

Well i think SC was so successful because it was like the first game ever done (not really but you get my point) It didn't have so many competitors against it. But i still see Sc2 top 3 at twitch sometimes. It may reached its peak, but it is faar from over, and i see it successful.

They never really cared about making it easy for any community that has little experience in such programs like this.

What I mean is that when I first started modding for Wc3 I had barely any experience in even using a computer much. I was able to just pick on other maps as examples of what is possible and try and mess with some tools.
With Sc2 there is alot of tools and little example of what could be recognized easily with just looking at how a map functions as easily.

If you look at most of the Sc2 maps, they aren't of a great quality anyway and most could be done with making a mod of Wc3 anyway.

Surely the attention is on Sc2 although the vast modding that is has compared to Wc3 is limited because of how easy it was to produce a playable projetct.

more advanced tools will of course normally be harder to use...

if I just see the point of modding still, I would have really spent time to learn the SC2 editor... but by the time I got SC2 (just a few months after it was released), I'm already on the point where I realized it is more fun and rewarding to make my own game than mod wc3 or sc2

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
more advanced tools will of course normally be harder to use...
This is also one of the reasons why WC3 modding was probably more successful. I think a lot of things - despite being more logical in SC2 - where just easier accessable in WC3.

I think the complexity of the WC3 editor hit the sweep spot between flexibility and simplicity. You didn't need to have a doctors degrees to understand the object editor. I also never had a problem coding all of my spells - I don't get why the object editor in SC2 got so much emphasizis. There are some things that are just easier to do with some code lines than by complicated GUI-editing.

Too bad Blizzard never expanded the functionality of the WC3 editor and built in more JASS natives. It would have been a bliss for WC3 modding.

Last edited:
Too bad Blizzard never expanded the functionality of the WC3 editor and built in more JASS natives. It would have been a bliss for WC3 modding.
Well as long as people like you are modding the game, I think the game remains alive but "greatly diminished" when it comes to players/ So the point is that the simplicity saves it in my opinion.

Level 16
I'm gonna go on a little rant here. Its' kinda dead, but not entirely. From my experience, you can play the more popular maps without a few problems. Though if you want to try something new, or something that is not so popular, you will rarely get people joining. I'll just take my map "Conquest" and the popular map "Azeroth Wars" as some examples. I have hosted around 300 games of Conquest on battle, and i think around 3-4 of them have been with a full house. On the other hand, i have never played a game of Azeroth Wars that is less then 12 players. Generally if i want to have around 6 players in the map, i need to either host in the evening and hope people randomly join at the right times so they don't leave when see nobody in lobby, or i need some friends that will stay to join me. The large majority of people usually leave after download or a few seconds after, because they don't know the map and they just want to get into something. I remember back in the golden days of warcraft that i could host any random old map i found on epicwar or something i made in a few hours and people would join. Sadly this is not the case anymore, which kinda have discouraged me to make maps for a large number of players since, nobody is going to play them. To sum it up, from my experience warcraft 3 is not dead for the classics and popular maps, like island defense, legion td, azzy wars, etc. but new maps have a hard time getting players to play them.

Level 9
used to have around 110,000 when i joined, then spiked near 150k and then died deep down to like 20k and i soon quit after i saw the doom of multiple clans, and no more games being joined/played through to the max. We have to start asking blizzard for Wc4, or a F2P Wc3, since we do have all these untouched resources still left.

Status
Not open for further replies.