• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is warcraft 3 worth playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Its been a few years since Ive been online, but the last time i was it seemed dead. I did notice that they recently did some patches and changed alot of things, has there been any surge in activity?

Level 4
Its been a few years since Ive been online, but the last time i was it seemed dead. I did notice that they recently did some patches and changed alot of things, has there been any surge in activity?
A day ago when I logged in there were 3k people on tho the number goes up and down. But depends what you are into. Melee is kinda alive and attracting some people, specially during busy hours. 3k is not that bad still.

As for custom maps it's kinda dead and if it wasn't, the last patch killed it even more.

However and this the important part. Tho Warcraft 3 is dying in west. It is booming in China. I also logged in the Netease Platform yesterday and 40,000 people were playing Warcraft 3. 32000 of them playing custom maps. So If you don't mind Chinese Warcraft 3, you good tho might have slightly higher ping.

Reactions: pyf
Level 10
Yes. yes it is.

It has surged because of popular streamers and also because well..The Modding and maps in it are just full on games. Helk I've assigned some students to play warcraft 3 and tell me if the maps / mods are full on games at that point.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Warcraft 3 is still worth playing, if you can make it run. This all depends on your hardware, and/or on your OS version, and/or on your game version.

[...] has there been any surge in activity?
Surges in activity may depend on the variables above.

Other kinds of surges in activity may also be observed with any new patch or PTR version, on the General Discussion forums about Classic games on the Blizzard web site. Sometimes, reading the posts there may be more entertaining than playing the game(s) itself/themselves, but at the risk of losing your sanity over time in the process.

:wink:

Last edited:
Level 4
Warcraft 3 is still worth playing, if you can make it run. This all depends on your hardware, and/or on your OS version, and/or on your game version.

Surges in activity may depend on the variables above.

Other kinds of surges in activity may also be observed with any new patch or PTR version, on the General Discussion forums about Classic games on the Blizzard web site. Sometimes, reading the posts there may be more entertaining than playing the game(s) itself/themselves, but at the risk of losing your sanity over time in the process.

:wink:

I just lost it with my first Click. I thought at least it would take some FFS...
upload_2018-8-17_20-55-31.png

Level 2
I bought the game and got back to it recently. I reckon It's definitely worth playing and reliving the nostalgia. Surprisingly the graphics and aesthetics and as well the voice acting Still manage to look good today despite them being really old. Warcraft 3's stylish, blocky and goofy design has paid off here.

However it''s not like old days before. The game is dead indeed. You can't fill most custom maps at all tho most don't seem to be compatible anymore or get updates and crash really quickly. It does take ages to find matches and when you do, they are heavily imbalanced. So yes the lack of support and players has negatively affected the experience. However the game's corpse is far from rotten to oblivion tho, You can still sometimes find matches during the busy hours and there are still high level melee matches to watch and single player campaigns are still quite good.

However and this the important part. Tho Warcraft 3 is dying in west. It is booming in China. I also logged in the Netease Platform yesterday and 40,000 people were playing Warcraft 3. 32000 of them playing custom maps. So If you don't mind Chinese Warcraft 3, you good tho might have slightly higher ping.

Please don't tell me like Garena with the past. This is second time I've bought Warcraft 3 only to find out Battle.net is worse and most people play it on an illegal third party site which actually lot more players and offers a better platform than Battle.ent

Level 15
A day ago when I logged in there were 3k people on tho the number goes up and down. But depends what you are into. Melee is kinda alive and attracting some people, specially during busy hours. 3k is not that bad still.

As for custom maps it's kinda dead and if it wasn't, the last patch killed it even more.

What sites do they use for hosting maps (makemehost), modding, campaigns and tournaments/streams? ;o

Status
Not open for further replies.