• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 is dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
In my opinion Wc3 its a bit dead. . .its geting to be like Starcraft. Anyway the idea is that i have seen great skins / models around here but none ever aplied in a custom Map. Except Azeroth Wars some aos and other maps like narotu wars. . .there is mostly dota (as RPG maps). The last good rpg map i can remember is The Black Road , other than that. . .no more new good maps. . .at least for what i have seen.
Check my cinematic. lol

Level 3
The kind of games people go for these days are games that are real simple. There's no complication, no How-to more than 2 sentences. Though those are fun for a while, they get boring, and i get disappointed.

If people cant watch a TV series consecutively enough to where they know exactly whats going on JUST for that reason why would those people want to learn a map for more than 10 minutes? >< And dont start saying this statement is false and that things like 'Heroes' is needed to watch consecutively. If you watch something like Beast Wars and miss 2 episodes you may have just skipped something that will be brought up later, and itll get real confusing once that starts happening.

Level 26
They NEVER sleep. If one dies off from exhaustion, another comes to replace it before you can blink an eye.
They can die? I thought, like bacteria, they just split into two younger DotA players. Haven't you ever seen DotA colonies before?
If people cant watch a TV series consecutively enough to where they know exactly whats going on JUST for that reason why would those people want to learn a map for more than 10 minutes? >< And dont start saying this statement is false and that things like 'Heroes' is needed to watch consecutively. If you watch something like Beast Wars and miss 2 episodes you may have just skipped something that will be brought up later, and itll get real confusing once that starts happening.
Something doesn't have to have a 10 minute tutorial to involve more depth in thought than "hungry hungry felhounds". Those games are fun for a while, but in the end, they're still minigames.

Level 4
Fixed.

Only a few heroes in DotA are actually balanced. And those are the ones people play. What's the point in having 80-something heroes if only a few of them are actually balanced?

This is one of DotA's major flaws.

not true..heroes on dota are bsaically good heroes and average heroes, then other heroes that to their own tasks. if you play ar, which is what most play, you usually get a balanced team of all 3. good heroes like the bloodseeker are easier to play and will dominate if not stopped early game. average heroes depend mostly on the players skill level, they could break even, or maybe get mega kills, depending on the players skill level. other heroes such as the broodmother excel in lane pushing and sneak attacks, or the techies, which if the player is good enough get their triple kills once in awhile. ive never encountered an imbalanced hero though.. if you think there is one, id like to hear who it is.

Level 4
I'm kinda against DoTa for just being soo popular that it pretty much doesnt have enough other custom games to come up since DoTa is too popular. You have people buying warcraft 3 nowdays, just to play DoTa. I also agree with Rui's comments about lack of bad custom games, there is some I have to agree but they never get to host like the 03-04's map: Uther's Party, Kodo's Tag, Zombie Tag, Freeze Tag etc....

I just simple hate dota, who knows who was the first guy who have made dota (Icefrog has just stolen it), i have read on a chat forum a topic about dota, and there some guys have asked "does i need warcraft to play dota?". This is wicked sick :thumbs_down:. It is not such a bad game but it should not be so popular.

Level 3
Dota was originally created by Eul on USWest i believe, the original dota website was Thewarcenter.com and i did like playing dota then because it was a good game for RoC, which didnt use tombs (big + there) had custom units and custom spells with custom models animation etc. all before TFT came out. Games with simple TFT functions on RoC are greatly appreciated, there was a game called The Summoner for RoC that had the ability to get to level 100 and each hero had there own summon spell... This is probably the reason dota rose to fame in the first place but once icefrog made Allstars it got out of hand and is just rediculous

Level 1
Does a newbie have to end it?

Oh well, it's true. Most of them play worthless and/or imbalanced maps.
Where are all the "Tales of Kaltazar" gone?

Level 4
All I ever see on warcraft three, the frozen throne online now is power abuse/ rigged games now D: I would host better games but I have a router so I cannot,

Level 34
EotA ftw! I really don't see how this game has not caught on. DotA in my opinion sucks. Although I haven't played it all that much so maybe I just need to play it more, but there are too many heros and because of that the skills get lame. To me skills make most AoS maps. If DotA lowered the amount of heros. Or make every spell cool. (good luck with a few hundred spells) EotA only gets updated every once in a while, which sucks, also I would see how people don't like how you get a random race, and that there are 3 races so one race gets excluded each game.

Level 11
Warcraft Three died a long, long time ago son.

November 23rd, 2004, to be precise.

I support this statement, may it be a day of mourning for us all...oh and if anyones wondering, Eul made the original dota, somewhere in 2002-2003, and Guinsoo took it and made it into the original shit we see today, and really it slowly infected everyone with a virus that decayed their minds and converted them to DOTA CULTISM, And THEN IceFrog took it over, and now we come to present days, absolute FAILURE.

Level 36
Indeed, DotA has brought ruin upon us all. I wonder if you can even find copies of the Eul DotA maps anymore... ever since I joined WC3 all i've ever seen are these shitty DotA Allstars maps.

Regardless, Rest in Peace Warcraft 3, and may your successor not have any DotA. Ever.

Level 14
Indeed, DotA has brought ruin upon us all. I wonder if you can even find copies of the Eul DotA maps anymore... ever since I joined WC3 all i've ever seen are these shitty DotA Allstars maps.

Regardless, Rest in Peace Warcraft 3, and may your successor not have any DotA. Ever.
i feel your pain :/ only dota

rofl

play melee if it's such a problem for you

Level 8
I support this statement, may it be a day of mourning for us all...oh and if anyones wondering, Eul made the original dota, somewhere in 2002-2003, and Guinsoo took it and made it into the original shit we see today, and really it slowly infected everyone with a virus that decayed their minds and converted them to DOTA CULTISM, And THEN IceFrog took it over, and now we come to present days, absolute FAILURE.

Its known as the....D Virus....Or the Dota Virus...I shall crush Icefrog and Guinsoo!!! Or die trying! :cevil: And I agree, warcraft 3 is deceased...
Edit: Page 6!

Level 7
i dont think its dead, but dying at least. for a game thats lasted this long it must be doing something right. i am against dota but i think its what is holding the game together right now. i miss the days where there was so much variety in the games, but those days are pretty much dead.

the only way i can think of to really counter this is to make a special forum on this site and post times people want to play a certain game. get a group of players then log into the game and play the game rather than getting frustrated looking for one. this community is constantly growing and i think it would catch on pretty well.

Level 8
Melee is better than dota man. I just can't find myself controlling one hero only. I need an army and a base...

Level 7
i like melee better but i also like controlling one hero, easier to stay focused. just that in dota its always the same but in melee you face many different skill lvls and different people. if your playing someone whos as good or a little better than you and end up winning some how, it makes you feel better than just being able to kill a hero in a few seconds in dota.

Level 34
I think SC will bring about good modders. Not only will people here and other wc3 modding site go over and keep improving, but old modders might come back, and new people with talent will be drawn.

I suggest holding on until SC2 and moving to it. I just hope you can terrain even better in the next one.

Level 1
Warcraft III is definitely dead.

First off, not many people play ladder anymore, which is pretty sad. I think people suck so badly at it and simply don't find it fun. It really annoys me how people in this day and age can't sit down long enough to learn intricated games.

So we're left with nothing but custom games to carry on WCIII. In 2003 and 2004, customs were great. Unfortunately, at the dawn of 2008, custom games are now shit. 10% of the games are filled with autorefresh spam bots (Want to make free money? Want to host? Join clan ____). Another 10% is rigged maps made by 13 year olds. 75% is DOTA. That leaves 5% of really good maps. And even when somebody does host a good map, nobody joins.

Let's face it, Warcraft III is merely a shadow of its former self. It is very sad to watch such a great game go out with such little dignity. I blame the player base.

I hope SC2 will restore RTS gaming. If it fails, Blizzard's reign on PC games will be a thing of the past.

Level 2
I didn't read whole topic. I play Wc3, I am a mapmaker. WC3 is a bad RTS comparing to SC, in terms of competitive and playability. WC3 is not as fast as SC; Selecting a unit can be a real pain(Think about a ground unit under the huge wings of a dragon and you want to select that ground unit); Spells are not unique enough(Think abolish magic/disenchant...) and they are not powerful(Timing the casting of a spell in SC is important, in WC3 it is not that critical); Placing a building is ugly(Many buildings require bigger area than their sizes, when i click build button and the corresponding building image appears on my mouse it looks too bulky); Battle scenes may be very confusing(When large armies engage on battleground you can barely distinguish what's going on. Having spell effects is good but can be sometimes confusing + unit sizes are bigger than SC which reduce playability when many units are on the same screen).

Besides these issues WC3 survive thanks to very customizable World Editor, yet not perfect.

Level 7
i disagree, i think wc3 is much easier to play then sc. sc units are very small and have low hp, they die incredibly fast and require tons of micromanagement. spells in wc3 are very important along with timing. lets take the mountain king, his storm bolt can stun a unit, you need to time the hit along with the amount of distance that is between you and the unit. will you have enough time to surround the unit once its bolted? or is it enough to kill the unit completely? or if i bolt it will i be able to cast another spell to finish it off? spells require skill to use in wc3, sc's wernt all that exciting and not that useful sometimes. it all pretty much comes down to preference, to me its alot of fun to be able to do stuff with my hero while i build rather than watch buildings build in sc. Wc3 will never be like sc in terms of popularity and thats ok, its past its prime but still an awesome game.

Level 26
Starcraft composes of many small units with little HP, superweapons, and everything that spells out "giant army". Warcraft 3, on the other hand, has spellcasters with tons of abilities, heroes, and everything that spells out "specialized squads". It's all about micro vs macro, in my opinion, and they are equal in difficulty.
Think about a ground unit under the huge wings of a dragon and you want to select that ground unit
1. That could be done in starcraft as well.
2. Did you ever consider drag clicking, or using your scroll?
Spells are not unique enough(Think abolish magic/disenchant...) and they are not powerful(Timing the casting of a spell in SC is important, in WC3 it is not that critical)
Spells are equal in both aspects, not to mention the fact that wc3 has tons of more spells.
Placing a building is ugly(Many buildings require bigger area than their sizes, when i click build button and the corresponding building image appears on my mouse it looks too bulky)
Battle scenes may be very confusing(When large armies engage on battleground you can barely distinguish what's going on. Having spell effects is good but can be sometimes confusing + unit sizes are bigger than SC which reduce playability when many units are on the same screen).
It's not exactly rocket science. You know, by color, what units are yours, and units are plenty easy to distinguish, considering their size, like you said.
Besides these issues WC3 survive thanks to very customizable World Editor, yet not perfect.
Come up with a better one.

Status
Not open for further replies.