• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What makes Dota great?(or popular)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Now you may not agree Dota is that great but its hard to argue against its popularity. The question is why is it so popular? Here are my thoughts:

1) Custom unique and varied heroes, you play the game once as one hero and you can have a completely different experience with another hero.
2) Depth, there are many item possibilities and for some people to get the edge they have to know certain strategies or nuances.
3) Advancement, you level up and have a choice in how you level up.
(4) Teamwork)

Some of this is based on Dota RoC more than Dota TfT but some of the things apply.

Level 5
what makes the bitch popular? hmmm... Dota is Dota dude :S its great and popular everything in dota makes her so awesome :hohum:

Level 12
A few more:

• The map its self is 3 years old or so? with older Dota's strecthing back even further.
    Therefore lots of heroes and lots of additions having being added over the years that far exceed any other map.
  • Always a game hosted, so no trouble to find one.
  • Regularly updated, with new contest and bug/balance fixes.
  • An awesome website with a great community to talk about Dota.
  • Easy learning curve i.e. simple gameplay, uncomplex heroes/abilities/items.
  • A strong reward for those who have practiced and mastered the game, with many clans and leagues available

Level 1
I don't want to argue over whether or not DoTA is a good game. Both sides of the argument have been said lots of times.

But the heart of the matter is, good or not, it's played way too damn much. DoTA strangles new maps and new mapmakers.

Too true, I look for a Maul or for Footmen Frenzy... and I get about 20 dotas. It may be good in the beggining but damn, its taking over battle.net!!

Level 4
Now you may not agree Dota is that great but its hard to argue against its popularity. The question is why is it so popular? Here are my thoughts:

1) Custom unique and varied heroes, you play the game once as one hero and you can have a completely different experience with another hero.
2) Depth, there are many item possibilities and for some people to get the edge they have to know certain strategies or nuances.
3) Advancement, you level up and have a choice in how you level up.
(4) Teamwork)

Some of this is based on Dota RoC more than Dota TfT but some of the things apply.

yeah, i agree, so many hero to choose, etc etc, but i think it's because dota hosted first by some peoples, then distributed so quickly..

Level 2
yup.. lots of heroes to choose from. some even unkillible if they have the correct items.. for example Rikimaru, lamest hero xD invisible 24/7, balanar overpowered at night.. slithice is also a very good hero, with the correct items he can't die ^_^. he has like 6 seconds sleep as ultimate so he can run away whenever he wants aswell

Level 14
yup.. lots of heroes to choose from. some even unkillible if they have the correct items.. for example Rikimaru, lamest hero xD invisible 24/7, balanar overpowered at night.. slithice is also a very good hero, with the correct items he can't die ^_^. he has like 6 seconds sleep as ultimate so he can run away whenever he wants aswell
you posted the worst heroes forgetting about faceless void and troll warlord ;)

Level 12
if there is one thing that is unarguable about the heroes, it is that Goblin Techies is the lamest hero Period.

What makes Dota so great/popular?
- Its simple to play, its not as advanced as many people might think
- Huge selection of items, even if some are just upgrades
- Huge selection of heroes, making it one of the maps that will take a long time to TRUELY master(being able to play at good skill with ever hero)
- Its being updated, which will change the experience as a new verison comes(depending on how change-full it is)
- Its not hard to find, making people stick closer to the game, knowing that they can always find a map.

Level 34
DotA is so popular because the devil himself made it. Then he hosted it and started binding peoples souls to it. They die if they don't get DotA for at least three hours a day. Children under sixteen seem to be more susceptible to it, and suffer worse.
Side affects include:
-Loss of grammar
-Low vocabulary, mostly consisting of n00b, nub, and the f-bomb.
-Blurry vision
-Depression
-Low tolerance of other people
-Death

Level 1
DotA is so popular because the devil himself made it. Then he hosted it and started binding peoples souls to it. They die if they don't get DotA for at least three hours a day. Children under sixteen seem to be more susceptible to it, and suffer worse.
Side affects include:
-Loss of grammar
-Low vocabulary, mostly consisting of n00b, nub, and the f-bomb.
-Blurry vision
-Depression
-Low tolerance of other people
-Death

ITS TRUE!!! DONT DENY THE SIGNS!!! DoTA isn't crap, just most of the player atmosphere. No offense intended Jacek.

Level 34
u offendd me :/ i now go cut meself :/// *wrists*

Why? You have to admit it has the worst community. You can like the game, thats opinion, but the fact that the community is childish and flames the entire game is blatantly obvious.

Level 34
Yeah I don't deny its a pretty good game. I play the AI every once in a while, and I don't have to play with the childish flamers that seem to haunt Battle-Net. I also suck and therefore AI is just fine.

Level 10
1. 89 Heroes with 4 custom spells per hero give endless variety.
2. Over 100 items and heaps of Recipes for even more variety.
3. Years of DotA have led to perfection in balance, gameplay and more.
4. Finding a game of DotA takes less than 10 seconds, and is full instantly.
5. Heaps of game modes for variation, many of which are very well made.
6. No noobs, since everyone knows DotA and you don't have to explain.
7. No downloading. Every person already has DotA newest version.
8. Updates come and come with no end, no map is more up-to-date.
9. Heaps of clans and communities for playing DotA.
10. No bugs and real imbalances are in DotA, a 99% bugfree game.

Level 34
1. Pretty sure they are not all custom. Not since I played. 89 heroes does not make a good game IMO, only worse.
2. This is good generally, but imbalance comes out.
3. This is good.
4. This is HORRID! I guess it's good for DotA, but it has taken over b-net, which used to be fun.
5. This is good, although people host, than play a gay version, and people leave.
6. I am a "noob", and there are certainly more out there.
7. What? No everyone does not, this does not make a game better in any way at all.
8. This is good, very good.
9. Another good thing for DotA, but it takes away from other games. :(
10. This is true, but I don't think it's balanced, although it's pretty good.

Level 34
They are not all custom, most of the spells are just Remakes of other spells, and many, many heroes use one spell that atleast 1 more hero has got aswell

I thought so. I clearly remember critical strike on the sea witch.

Level 14
critical strike heroes:

nessaj - 11% to do 3x damage
mortred - ulti - 15% for 4x damage
juggernaut - 36% to do 2x damage
siren - 40% for 2x damage? something like this, don't remember exactly
skeleton king - 20% for 2.75x damage (sth like this)

windwalk heroes:

nerub asassin - ulti - 525 damage, 30% speedup
phantom lancer - creates an illusion of hero, boosts speed by 10%
gondar - 120 damage when breaking, 10% (?) speedup
clinkz - 30% speedup
nerub weaver - 522 movement speed, 120 damage to enemy units when passing through them

Status
Not open for further replies.