• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Illidan: Dead Or Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
well, there is so much bloody speculation on this, I thought a topic would be made to deal with it. I'm a firm believer in Arthas' pwnage, so I have always thought that Illidan got pwned then died. Other people, however, say that Illidan is alive and will be featured in WoW soon. Some say he is hiding in outland, etc etc. What is the deal with him? Is he alive or dead? I think it would be better if he was dead, because he's been causing problems since tyrande was in diapers. Seriously: the maelstrom, his fault, the well of eternity: his fault drawing the burning legion to the world of azeroth on NUMEROUS ocassions: his fault. And now he's back again?!!? not cool. Also, I think it would really piss a lot of poeple off because they wouldn't know what to believe. Any true WoW player ahs played WC3 and knows that Illidan died in the final cinematic, but most of the WoW players are noobs and 4 year olds and people that have never gamed ebfore, so it wouldn't really upset the playerbase if they decided that Illidan was supposed to be alive again, because nobody would know that he was dead in the first place. Oh well, lets hope that blizzard makes the right decision.

Level 12
Illidan is alive, he was injured in the final battle against a vastly weakened Arthas after he gained tremendous power from Archimode (still wanna know how that happened...) but is bidding his time elsewhere.

Level 36
er...didn't archimonde bite the dust long before Illidan faced Arthas. Oh, it was Kil Jaeden who gave him the power, archimonde was of the same race, but was a thrall, kil jaeden is master. anywho, the power was given to him through the eye of sargeras (correct me if i'm wrong here) and it was given to him because kil jaeden saw the lich king as a growing threat and wanted him eliminated and he tasked illidan with doing it. anyway colossal bolt at frozen throne, ice block shattered, soul steadily seeping out, arthas loses most of his powers and pwns illidan blinded folded with both hands tied behind his back and his legs in a pretzel knot. the end:D

but it appears Athas wounded but didn't kill, which i find strange from someone who has no soul, is most likely insane, is immensly powerful and the guy who slaughtered his own father for the lich kings bidding. he's shown no mercy for anyone else, why wouldn't he finish the job with Illidan?

Level 12
Ok, I was wrong with the names, my mistake. Recal to RoC however when Illidan and Arthas decided to not fight as they were equals. Illidan gained power since then, Arthas lost it.

As for your second question, the answer is simple: shame. Illidan would live with the eternal shame of having lost to a mere mortal.

Level 12
That does not matter at all, if all that mattered was how cool a person is then Illidan would have defeated everyone long ago. Look at the facts:

Arthas is a human, he has been around for less than 30 years. In his time he has... Been born a prince (wow, so original :roll: ), become obssesed (first one right? No way in hell), kill mercenaries he hired (cool, I will admit), and been tricked into getting himself cursed. Score one for intelligence and thinking there Arthas!

Illidan, on the other hand, was born a Night Elf, a creature nearly immortal and immensely magickally gifted. He has; contacted the leader of the Burning Legion himself, destroyed the known world, caused the near extinction of his people, been banished, hunt his own people, be imprisioned for thousands of years (one downside), refallen in love with the woman responsible (small downside, but at least he believes in love), consumed part of a great demon\Titan, become imesnsely powerful through his own machinations and actions, sided with another Demon, summoned forth an entire Race to do his bidding, and tricked two more Races into joining his cause.

So who looks cooler now?

Level 18
Technically speaking, Arthas died the moment he touched Frostmourne, and if you discount that then technically he ceased to exist when he put on Ner'Zhul's crown, because the Lich King's soul now rests in his previously empty shell of a body. His mind would also have been utterly destroyed, methinks. In any case, Illidan > Arthas. Oh yeah, having a soul is an upside, without a soul you could be possesed by practically anything, lucky the good people don't have Banshees.

Level 36
yeah, but see the minute that Arthas put on the crown of the Lich King, he became pretty much immortal. Illidan is a night elf and a mortal, even though he has a much, much longer lifespan then any other mortals (correct me if i'm wrong) or, he can't die of aging, but he can be killed by physical means, for example, disease, weapons etc. Arthas is master in this because the power transferred to him through Frostmourne (immense) + the power given to him by the Lich King (Uber immense) + the power of the Lich King Himself (he had as much power as Arthas when he was a shaman, now he got a massive kickstart from Kil'Jaeden, whereas Illidan never recieved any power from Kil'Jaeden, he had to gain power on his own, for example, acquiring the eye of Sargeras) this all = Arthas is greater then Illidan. What is Illidan but a servant, always vying to gain power by clawing his way into his masters favour. Imprisoned for 10 thousand years by a warden, easily pwned by his brother, the druid Malfurion Stormrage on several ocassions, and plus, the scourge is a way more pwnage army then the naga i'm sorry to say. The actual naga units may be cooler or more powerful, but the scourge has it in numbers, by killing the armies of the humans, they can ressurect them as armies of the lich king. Plus: Arthas totally pwned the dreadlords. The Dreadlords being the primary and most powerful servants of Kil'Jaeden (aside from the pitlords, Archimonde and the lich king of course) whatever. i'm for Arthas.

Level 12
What makes you think Illidan never recieved more power? Also, the Lich King was weakening, to say he gave "uber imense power" does not hold any real value to it.

I think that his personality merged with the Lich King, personally, but in a very small way. Like Arthas is still "in there" but has no real power to do anything, but that is pure speculation.

Level 18
I firmly beleive any lingering remnants of the human formerly known as Arthas have been completely subsumed by the Lich King's will, soul and personality, the being known as Arthas has been totally annihilated, and only his body remains, now inhabited by the mighty Lich King himself. Also, although Illidan has now been imprisoned in the Black Citadel by Kil'Jaeden, Kil'Jaeden also gave him more power to further the Burning Legion's ends. And another thing, somewhere I read you say that Kil'Jaeden was the master of Archimonde, and this is most certainly not true. While Kil'Jaeden may very well be more poweful, in the eyes of Sargeras they were equal because they both had completel different jobs.

Level 12
So basically we agree except I say that Arthas might be a little bit in the background while you say he is not there at all. Am I correct?

Level 36
perhaps. And the power I'm talking about was given to Arthas before the lich king stated losing power. I know fr sure Arthas wants to kill Illidan because it was Illidan who sent the bolt at the frozen throne, weakening the Lich King and Arthas, thats a good reason to kill. Arthas may be gone, but the lich king now has a human form, making him more dangerous then ever before. Illidan, I thought was trying to escape from Kil"jaedens wrath after he failed to kill the lich king. Then in an attempt to try and sae himself, he went to Northrend to finish the job, Arthas caught up with him, and Illidan supposedly managed to get away alive. The reason I don't think Illidan recieved any more power was is how. The Lich King could give Arthas power because he had an influence and was actually present in Azeroth. Kil'Jaeden, at the time of the frozen throne is back where the demons are, in their little plane of existance. Perhaps he recieved more power from Kil'Jaeden, I don't know, but I know it was his effort, not with the help of kil'haeden that he found the eye of sargeras, made a naga army and made himself all demon form. props to him, but he still lost, and supposedly somehow made his way to outland, was hiding, got caught by kil'jaeden (how does kil'jaeden have an influence in outland?) and is now prisoner in the black citadel.

As well, Sargeras got pwned, so his logic on the Kil'Jaeden= Archimonde thing is a little screwy. As well, Archimonde got pwned, and Kil'Jaeden was and still is the master of the burning legion, he's the dude doing the commanding, not Archimonde. I know they are both Eredar and both were corrupted by Sargeras equally. I don't know if he favoured one over the other, but Kil'Jaeden had a lot more influence and power and thats why he's still alive and commanding the burning legion and Archimonde is dead.

Level 36
well i hope so, but the prospect is pretty grim. I'm sure that the want to expand on the warcraft franchise as it is bringing in a ton of cash for blizz, but i'm also sure that those will come in the form of WoW expansions. I'm sure we'd all like to think that blizz cares about their wc3 fanbase, and i'm sure they do, but they wont make another warcraft game when all they need to do to make instant millions is make a WW expansion. perhaps we may see a wc4 after WoW:BC comes out.

Level 12
I am curious as to how the movie will be. I wonder if maybe they will develop Illidan more, like show what happened to him, or if it will be the world before the first Burning Legion. Most likely it will be something completely different and mostly unrelated, but one can always hope.

Level 18
Malufa said:
So basically we agree except I say that Arthas might be a little bit in the background while you say he is not there at all. Am I correct?

Yes.

@brad.dude03 I can't remember which way it was, but one of them (Kil'Jaeden/Archimonde) was the recruiter and commander of the Dreadlords and the other was the leader of the army.

brad.dude03 said:
And the power I'm talking about was given to Arthas before the lich king stated losing power.

Didn't you notice that the power given Arthas was leaving him when the Lich King's own power was failing? The Lich King had to draw back some of that power (lowering Arthas' level) to keep himself alive! Also, I'm not sure that possesing Arthas has given Ner'Zhul more power, it might have given him less because of the fact that Ner'Zhul's own power, added to Kil'Jaeden was amplified by the ice crystal he was in, outside of the crystal might not that amplification effect be lost? And actually Arthas did have a reason for not slaying Illidan on the spot, the Lich King was about to die, which would leave Arthas completely powerless and perhaps cause his instant death, so he needed to get to the Lich King ASAP.

Level 24
Healingpoison said:
Well, in a coming WoW patch the scourge will attack, and if I'm no much mistaken that is Arthas's sector of the undead.

Yes that is Kel' Thuzard.

I for one do not think that Arthas's soul has been completly destroyed by the lich king. And I am almost certain that Arthas had his soul before he merged with the Lich King, for example in the Undead Campaign, before he sets out to Northrend to save the Lich King he says that Kel' Thuzard is his friend, which does not sound like something the Lich King would say.

Level 10
@ Deckboy - Arthas's body is there but his soul is curropted is what you saying?

I'm saying that it's Arthas's body/shell but iinside its really the Lich King. . .so it's like its not really Arthas anymore.

Although Blizzard may decide to make the story something like Arthas's mind is constantly battling with the Lich King's, kind of like an internal struggle. . .depends on what Blizzard/Metzen decides to do.

Level 12
Undead do not have souls, they left when they died. Some of their personality may be there for powerful undead, like vampires and bean sidhes, but they have no soul to speak. Arthas can consider someone a "friend" just like he can call someone bait food, it is just a word.

Level 24
Malufa said:
I can have my computer say it is my friend, does that give the computer a soul?

I supose not

But what of Sylvanus? (spelt it wrong I no :p)

She was Undead, being controled by the Lich King but when the Lich Kings powers started draining she had her own personality back and all that stuff didn't she?

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Bob27 said:
Malufa said:
I can have my computer say it is my friend, does that give the computer a soul?

I supose not

But what of Sylvanus? (spelt it wrong I no :p)

She was Undead, being controled by the Lich King but when the Lich Kings powers started draining she had her own personality back and all that stuff didn't she?

yes, and then she was known as "The Forsaken" after she killed all the dreadlords.. or something..

Level 18
Look, the soul and the mind are seperate! Arthas' soul was destroyed - but his mind lived on! Same thing with the Forsaken, they are Undead who, like most Undead have lost their souls, but unlike most Undead they have somehow retained their minds and broken free of Ner'Zhul's control when he weakened.

Level 12
Well said Shados, that is what I was trying to illustrate and could not find the words.

Status
Not open for further replies.