• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is Arthas Really Undead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
We all know Arthas.We all played campaign with him as human and undead.and we saw how he lost his soul and became Death Knight.
BUT we have never seen how he died and how was he actualy turn to undead.
When Uther the Lightbring was dieing Arthas said that he intends to LIVE for ever.
So question is:
Is Arthas dead or alive

Level 6
I think it's more because of balancing issues and how they really, really, hate the Light and all that, then that they really are undead.
And they aren't, like Silent and Veljko already said.

As for Arthas, I think he's dead. In WotLK you find out that he's thrown away his heart, and Tirion Fordring even destroys it.

Level 6
Well, in that case, I think his body is alive but everything else that is 'Arthas' has been replaced by Ner'zhul.

Level 12
Arthas is a living being that went from light to darkness, he isn't undead. Like others said, he basically gave his soul away, who knows why they get a undead look.

Level 12
Or because of the demonic magic within them corrupts them more, and often mutation and such occurs, such as when the orcs first used demonic magic, very little of it, there skin went from brown to green.

Level 13
Necromancers and acolytes are human, they aren't properly "undead".

Arthas is a body with two souls in it, Ner'zhul's (currently controlling) and Arthas's, which is believed to be trying to fight off Ner'zhul.

Level 21
You never heard Black Sabbath "I am Iron man" song ?
I just wanted to make this tread alive.

Arthas is a body with two souls in it, Ner'zhul's (currently controlling) and Arthas's, which is believed to be trying to fight off Ner'zhul.

Didn't Blizzard said that Arthas and Ner'zhul are one person now.
And necromancers and acolytes aren't really undead so yea you are right.

Level 36
Arthas goes through several transitions.

In the beginning, Prince Menithel Arthas is just an ordinary human.

Then he loses his mind.

Then he becomes a Death Knight, which means he is undead. By being undead, he is among the living dead. He has no soul, he gave his soul to the Lich King, via Frostmourne, the sword that Nerz'hul sent down to trap him, in order to become undead.

In the very end, Arthas merges with the Lich King's soul, which was frozen in the block of ice. Now he is a combination of both Arthas and Nerz'hul, super evil, super badass.

So I guess technically he is among the living again, since he merged with Nerz'hul.

Level 12
Arthas goes through several transitions.

In the beginning, Prince Menithel Arthas is just an ordinary human.

Then he loses his mind.

Then he becomes a Death Knight, which means he is undead. By being undead, he is among the living dead. He has no soul, he gave his soul to the Lich King, via Frostmourne, the sword that Nerz'hul sent down to trap him, in order to become undead.

In the very end, Arthas merges with the Lich King's soul, which was frozen in the block of ice. Now he is a combination of both Arthas and Nerz'hul, super evil, super badass.

So I guess technically he is among the living again, since he merged with Nerz'hul.

Eh he wouldn't technically be dead, though I agree with what you said, he never died, however he gave away his soul so he is somewhat of a slave.

Level 12
lol, yea tehe

I also learned some new info.. BRad is 100% correct, and it makes sense, also all the other DK's are not ex paladins, they were if I remember right, slain warriors brought back to life, wiped out of all past emotions and attachments, and server solely to the lich, which they all have will, so they can repel, however the Lich king in a way brainwashed them, or erased there memory. This is explained in wrath...

Level 7
I'd imagine if you lost your soul you would slowly die out from the inside, thus becoming undead overtime, think of it like a disease. We don't know what happened to Arthas in Northrend before he came back to Lorderon to destroy it but I bet he slowly turned undead then murdered any of his army who refused to give up their will to the lich king (omg some one do a map on this would make a good campaign)

Also you shouldnt put too much importance on what Arthas says to Uther in the campaigns, think about it they're both in the heat of battle and not in a fit state to give accurate infomation, I'm the specifics of undead/living were the last thing on Arthas's mind. He probabaly meant he intended on excisting forever.

Also you shouldnt put too much importance on what Arthas says to Uther in the campaigns, think about it they're both in the heat of battle and not in a fit state to give accurate infomation, I'm the specifics of undead/living were the last thing on Arthas's mind. He probabaly meant he intended on excisting forever.

I think you should, because blizzard has absolut no reason to give false information, and it don't make it more realistic (and even if it would be more realistic, Blizzard isn't that realistic!). And even the expansion campaigns point it out in the same way as the ROC campaigns, that Arthas is still human... By the way, who cares, if he's an evil soulless human or an evil soulless undead.

Level 7
Ok he is dead.How do i know?
Well i recently saw a questline popup on wowwiki which was about destroying Arthas' heart (the real objective) but in the description the questgiver tells you that he wants to take a glimpse into the heart to see if he has any humanity left but after looking into it he says that the only presence is the lich king => he is dead.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Matthias_Lehner link to the questgiver

Level 13
Probably all this will end with the rendemption of Arthas, ressurection of Illidan and... a "happily ever after" ending.

Level 30
... I've got quite an off-topic statement to make:
If the night elves created the burning legion, the burning legion created The lichking who created the scourge, then why is the scourge such a threat? Arthas shouldn't be stronger then Illidan, he's got nightelf super powas!

Arthas is nor livin nor death, he's a lost soul.

Level 18
Arthas is better described as a "un-living" creature. His tissues are, like, frozen in time, and his cells' metabolism does not function. However, this does not lead to his tissues' death/decay.

His nerve and muscle cells, however, seem to be powered by dark magic, since his nerve system functions (both the sensitive and executive part). He can feel pain and can move.

His cells, however, do not need to be fed by any external sources, do not divide, perform excretion, or die. His blood circulates (I think, since it spills on the ground as he dies in game), but is purple-tinted and seems to distribute some dark-related substance instead of oxyhemoglobine/carboxyhemoglobine. He does not breathe as well.

Conclusion: Arthas' body cells do not have metabolism to maintain themselves, but otherwise act as living and healthy (nerve synapses and moving function). So his condition should be better described as "unlife". Same with the Acolytes and Necromancers. Holy Light damages them, because their tissues, as I said, are powered by darkness.

Level 19
But if Arthas was dead, he would be looking like those Skeleton Warriors/Mages/Archers, Ghouls, Zombies, Banshees(o_O?), Abominations Riding a Dead/Undead Skeletal Steed, and btw, where did Arthas get that horse anyways...?

And NhazUl that could be a scientific way of explaining it, but remember, Blizzard + Science = World Of Barney And Friends, they DON'T go together and instead become some whacky lore... Like, Malganis got slain by Arthas using a "powerful" runeblade known as Frostmourne, but he suddenly poofed back into the story saying: "I'm back guys! Missed me?" in World Of Warcraft, Blizzard's excuse is that Dreadlords are immortal...

Last edited:
Level 18
WoW never ruined lore untill The Burning Crusade, imagine if it was Pre-TBC, forever. It'd get boring, so then they release WotLK, WITHOUT TBC, wouldn't that be supreme bad-ass?

Or, they change outland completley so it isnt lore-threatening.

Sadly neither will happen, I wish it was WoW-WotLK-TM-TED.

Tm and Ted is The Maelstrom and The Emerald Dream, 80% chance the new expansions.

Status
Not open for further replies.