• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Modeling Contest #28 - Wizards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 51
Slowly getting somewhere. Not much time to do anything though.

Still not sure about maybe other animations and giving her some sort of unique weapon. Any ideas?

Attachments

• gettingalaong.JPG
    gettingalaong.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 500

Still not sure about maybe other animations and giving her some sort of unique weapon. Any ideas?

Or you could do a Tera sorcerer-styled weapon (A levitating disc through which spells are cast). A levitating crystal would be nice too.

Level 19
go for it, our contests aren't such serious business. setting the goal to participate in the contest is a nice way to push yourself to learn it :)

and direfury tends to be a douchebag with everyone, don't take it too personally :p

ahahah :D I didnt take it personally, he is right at some point as well, but as you said this isnt a big contest, why not participate if I can come up with sth?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45

Hm, it's looking good but does need a weapon... Tricky.

I'd say really mix it up & look for something historical; one of my favorite parts of Frozen Throne was all the neat weapon stuff. The Spirit Walker with his 'glowing-lantern-burning-incense-dish' thing, the Warden with her spiked chakram, the Batrider with his 'firebomb-in-sling', the Spell Breaker/Shadow Hunter's spinning magic dual-bladed glaive-thingie...

Look at, like, some Persian or ancient Egyptian stuff. I'm sure there's some crazy weapon you can retrofit. Perhaps a crystal-studded whip (would be tricky to animate, but do it well & that could net you great points)? Meheeeheheeehh...

Level 9
Well! I started with few sketches, actually they are not look like a wizard.. i mean no white old beard, no star hat ^^ but as i never seen an Elephant characters in any game (by my side) so i wanted to create one for this contest. I'll try to make it look like a wizard but i don't know if i can make it okay with the conditions.

When i'm done with texturing i will animate it and try to import it to model editor.. actually im not sure i can do that correctly cause never done before.

Polys: 602
Tris: 1.182
Verts: 591

And if someone can answer that question it ill be appreciated;
Does Polygonal models works in Warcraft 3 such as Mesh models?

Attachments

• edgedfaces02.jpg
    edgedfaces02.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 126
  • test001.jpg
    test001.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 11994263_10207546877859949_415708496_n.jpg
    11994263_10207546877859949_415708496_n.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 136
  • 11996976_10207546877939951_1815687063_n.jpg
    11996976_10207546877939951_1815687063_n.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 117
  • reference01.jpg
    reference01.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 133

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well! I started with few sketches, actually they are not look like a wizard.. i mean no white old beard, no star hat ^^ but as i never seen an Elephant characters in any game (by my side) so i wanted to create one for this contest. I'll try to make it look like a wizard but i don't know if i can make it okay with the conditions.

When i'm done with texturing i will animate it and try to import it to model editor.. actually im not sure i can do that correctly cause never done before.

Polys: 602
Tris: 1.182
Verts: 591

And if someone can answer that question it ill be appreciated;
Does Polygonal models works in Warcraft 3 such as Mesh models?
Sick, an elephant man ("loxodon"?)? Warcraft ain't got none of those. You better really play up that trunk/tusks dealie.

Good luck. : )

The mesh is nearly finished, he's some kind of swamp people shaman, riding a giant toad!
Now i need to find the courage to animate him...
148567d1442261912-modeling-contest-28-wizards-wip02.jpg
Oh man... Can you just get step down from Olympus for a second there buddy? How's the weather up there? :D

Criminy, that is sick. While I'm sad it's not a Naga, "Lizardman" is totally legit, and... honestly, that toad alone is an achievement. Warcraft also doesn't have any kind of big, articulated Toad, and it totally could; with tongue-grabbing attack, gulping swallow spell, and HYPNOTOAD EYES Spell Channel. Ahhhh...\

Direfury is right, we need that Toad by itself. : )

Level 11

I like this concept. It is something new, reminds me of the Hindu god, Ganesha. Keep it up, I would certainly like to see it textured and animated.

And if someone can answer that question it ill be appreciated; Does Polygonal models works in Warcraft 3 such as Mesh models?
To answer all of your questions you should see the Modeling and Animation section. See the sticky threads. and yes mesh models are supported

The mesh is nearly finished, he's some kind of swamp people shaman, riding a giant toad!
Dayum thats sick! This is way beyond what I was expecting when I saw the first WIP, awesome!

Warcraft also doesn't have any kind of big, articulated Toad, and it totally could; with tongue-grabbing attack, gulping swallow spell, and HYPNOTOAD EYES Spell Channel. Ahhhh...\
totally agreed

Level 50
Looks like we have a winner. :D
Anyway, I started on a new model. Thanks to Stein for drawing me a great reference picture.
148345d1441659296-sketches-img6292.jpg

Here is what I got right know:
242792-albums8395-picture101672.jpg

I'm probably gonna use Furion's animations.

Level 50
I might start another model too. It's just not wizardy enough, more kind of a warlock. If I don't finish a new one, I'll submit the eredar one anyway.

Just start another one, but human or orc. After submiting your Gul'dan model I think the orcs fit your style, like you made then unique.
Anyway, here's the update, made the weapons, finished the rest of the mesh, now only head remains and it's ready to be rigged.
242792-albums8392-picture101675.png

Is it okay if I use the sword that I've made some days ago? I made it for another unit but decided to use it for this one, as it fits nice. I didn't made it before the contest started, just few weeks ago, maybe one or two weeks, don't remember.

Is it okay...
yes, it is ok. anything is ok. you know the theme, it isn't hard. you should figure out by yourself if you're pushing it too far, using the "look at your model and think" method. :v

(actually, it is perfectly ok for a wizard to use a sword... as long as it primarily casts spells)

that's pretty cool.

but that color choice for that frog goes bad with the guy riding it. two different tones of green which don't fit so well.

if you chose a black, or dark grey texture to the frog, it would surely look better

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I'll be a bit picky and say this: Aren't warlocks basically wizards as well but more into darker/chaotic magic related stuff?

*expects Kyrbi post soon*
*wonders why he is expected to post about this*

Yeah, pretty much what everyone else said; warlock = witch = wizard = mage = spellcaster = wizard. It's all pretty much the same for this theme. However, I'm all about Contestants creating more entries; mo' models is mo' bettah. : )

Level 50
yes, it is ok. anything is ok. you know the theme, it isn't hard. you should figure out by yourself if you're pushing it too far, using the "look at your model and think" method.

(actually, it is perfectly ok for a wizard to use a sword... as long as it primarily casts spells)

that's pretty cool.

but that color choice for that frog goes bad with the guy riding it. two different tones of green which don't fit so well.

if you chose a black, or dark grey texture to the frog, it would surely look better
No, you got me wrong. I made it earlier, the sword, and decided to use it. ;)

Level 20
My first WIP for now, gotta stick to my concept :) probably will give him some fire-ice thinggy inside the hood.

Might make a mesh for the fire arm inside the sleeve, or i should just use particles, making his icy arm now :)

So many ppl are interested in the hood for wizard.. but i love hoodie, so ye *shrugs*

attachment.php

Attachments

• ElementalSorcerer.jpg
    ElementalSorcerer.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 611

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
My first WIP for now, gotta stick to my concept :) probably will give him some fire-ice thinggy inside the hood.

Might make a mesh for the fire arm inside the sleeve, or i should just use particles, making his icy arm now :)

So many ppl are interested in the hood for wizard.. but i love hoodie, so ye *shrugs*

attachment.php
I really like her mane mask. : )

That toad.. is epic enough to dwarf the rider :xxd: maybe you could try to accent the rider bit more

attachment.php
that mask on the hood kinda reminds me of Revan
wizerd.jpg

2nd update. wow, i never thought i'll be making one of this again.

basically going for a mage that wears heavy armor. still a wip, you'll see the "wizard" theme later on once i finish the model's frame.
Yup, totally not Skeletor :) :xxd:

Level 9
Okay! so, this is my last wip before animate him and make ready for the game.
And i think i'm going to name it Zabrihis The Wise Magician :thumbs_up:

Attachments

• lastwip001.png
    lastwip001.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 257
  • lastwip002.png
    lastwip002.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 245
  • lastwip003.png
    lastwip003.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 262
Level 9
Looks nice, Coldblows. I love the weapon. What about team color?

Thanks mate, you mean the purple? I just paint it as a random robe color. This is my totaly first model for warcraft3 and i'm realy trying to make it okay.. Tryed to import him to the world editor as a unit and he spawned like he was laying on the ground.. This is pretty obvious that i need to follow few tutorials to import it correctly with the animations and about texture format, so i'm sorry if i dont get your question :)

Level 49
Well, I don't know how much of Warcraft III have you played, but most units have 'team color', which changes according to team the unit is on. I suggest you look up some tutorials on how to use Magos' Model Editor to create and change materials to make it work. Teamcolor operates using an alpha channel in the texture, similar to alpha transparency. Additionally, if it's a hero model, it needs to have 'hero glow', which are additive planes underneath the hero and on his weapons. If you look at some existing examples in Warcraft III you will see what I refer to.

I see that there are a lot of entries, but so far very few finished ones (I might be wrong, but I don't remember even one). I am absolutely open to the idea of an extension if I can get an assurance that there will be finished models. I would like to see at least 60% of you finish your models. They're all looking mighty fine!

Level 9
@Deolrin
Thank you for the suggestions i do know team color thing i play Warcraft 3 for very long time but i just dont know how its work when you about the create a character.. I was thinking that people (who is going to use the model) would change the texture as they want, i was confused but puzzles are getting right for me. But i hope i will find the exact tutorials. Thank you for that, i realy appreciate.

Okay! so, this is my last wip before animate him and make ready for the game.
And i think i'm going to name it Zabrihis The Wise Magician :thumbs_up:
it's nice to see new users coming around with creative ideas... that elephant-folk guy looks cool. reminds me a bit of lba2, what is nice :p

i just wonder if the pose you modeled it won't be a problem to rigging and animation. low-poly geometry tends to get kinda crazy upon movement..

Level 9
it's nice to see new users coming around with creative ideas... that elephant-folk guy looks cool. reminds me a bit of lba2, what is nice :p

i just wonder if the pose you modeled it won't be a problem to rigging and animation. low-poly geometry tends to get kinda crazy upon movement..

Ah! Thank you :) but as you guys know there are few rigging techniques and im not sure if Warcraft 3 supports all of them so ill try one by one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.