• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Complete FK rig, with a few helpers. Biped doesn't fit the model, I didn't think of trying CAT, and I was contemplating using some IK solvers but it wasn't worth it in this particular rig. Attack 2 is now finished. Attack 3 and several more are next.

EDIT: Good news everyone!
I actually will be able to definitely finish my submission due to recent developments. I won't be able to do anything next week but after that I will have enough time to finish and polish up animation. I'll also have time to improve the texture, because it most certainly needs it.

AifH4JA.jpg

mNS0PoW.jpg

you would have actually benefitted more by using IK systems in there, to be honest. Animating that thing in FK seems like a lot of pain.

So I've managed to export the model, and done a few things. My Magos doesn't show ingame textures, they simply don't exist to the program, so I can't test the look of team color myself. Plus, I think the lighting in mine may be a bit off.

Anyway, here you go, before I start finalizing the thing.

So, if you could just list the animations that could use a touch-up, it'd be appreciated.

all of them, that crude and simple.

BallisticTerrain said:
I don't have too much experience with character animation. To be honest, the reason I didn't do a more complex rig is because I don't know how to make a full IK rig. I should look it up.

Well is not that much which was needed, just some HI IK solvers, a controller for each limb and the IK Solver Targets for each.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Vermillion, Ballistic... Both are really coming along. I'm glad to see such progress.

And here is my second WIP. Don't say I'm copying Sin'dorei's idea. This is a hero necrolyte(a creep from the tileset Sunken Ruins) and its more than a Necromancer than a Warlock.
Oh, don't worry. I may (have) be(en) joking, but I wouldn't really call you out as a copy-cat. The original idea sounded closer to Sin'dorei's, is all. What you've got now is definitely different.

Though I must ask; in what ways it is different from the in-game Guldan/Warlock model? Granted it's been a while since I played TFT, so I'm probably missing something simple, but...

I've redone a number of the animations, and tried to add texture effects in.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=l67zhc

The fact that Magos refuses to register ingame textures frustrates me. Considering all the hoops I have to jump through just to do the simplest things in Magos, I don't know how its going to turn out for the rest of you.

Also, just pointing this out, but animations with the 'One' tag, are optional, and simply there for variety, when I submit it publically.

Last edited:
Level 16
So I've managed to export the model, and done a few things. My Magos doesn't show ingame textures, they simply don't exist to the program, so I can't test the look of team color myself. Plus, I think the lighting in mine may be a bit off.

The same happened to me when I bought my new PC and moved to Win7. It was back in 2011, but Magos has not received any updates since then (AFAIK), so yea.

Putting magos to War3's main folder solved the issue though, you should give it a try.

Level 14
I suggest you change those slashes meshes, for ribbon emitters, it will look more natural.

Btw at the end, you used 3dsmax for animating or you used mdlVis?

I would have used ribbon emitters but they are more wasteful, and I have already done something similar with ribbon emitters so I wanted to see if I can make it with meshes.
I haven't had time to learn enough 3dsmax for now, so I used mdlVis.

So I may have fixed the ingame texture problems, and Magos is finally showing team color. This makes everything alot easier, and means I'll be able to tweak more things more often.

Anyway, I've been hoping to get some feedback on the reworked animations, and placeholder particles.

Also, that Shaman looks really nice. Definitely a top 3 model.

Level 18
@ Chen Stormstout,
Well... You can try making a;
1) Tuskarr Warchief (a mix between a Tuskarr and a Beastmaster)
2) Draenei/Lost One Reaver (a mix between a Draenei/Lost One and a Demon Hunter)
3) Sea Titan (a mix between a Sea Giant and a Sunken Ship)
4) Super Critter (A super-powered critter, what else can I say...)
5) Infernal Decepticon (an Infernal Cannon capable of morphing into a Decepticon)

Level 25
I am now working for a Tauren Runemaster. But good idea for the lost one draenei, i forgot draenei is my favorite race. But if I fail making the runemaster' I'll try what you have said

@ Chen Stormstout,
Well... You can try making a;
1) Tuskarr Warchief (a mix between a Tuskarr and a Beastmaster)
2) Draenei/Lost One Reaver (a mix between a Draenei/Lost One and a Demon Hunter)
3) Sea Titan (a mix between a Sea Giant and a Sunken Ship)
4) Super Critter (A super-powered critter, what else can I say...)
5) Infernal Decepticon (an Infernal Cannon capable of morphing into a Decepticon)

A Lost One Reaver, what a cool idea. That may be a better idea than the Runemaster.

I have two questions:

1.It is needed to submit an icon for the model?
2.It is ok to accept idea from the others?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 14
So, I've just been lulling around waiting on a few more suggestions or criticisms, before I either finalized the model or reworked some of the animations.
The model's damage points are at about 500(0.5) however the damage points of the Attack Throw is 750 that will be noticeable ingame, you are going to hear a whack and than see the hero hit the unit, you should try to fix that.
His feet look so tiny.
Make the TC stones and his eye shiny.
You have no movement speed applied to the walk animation.
You have used a very high poly sphere to make the eye.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I am still thinking for a unit to be herofied that is not still made by others. I'm tired in making the necrolyte

~~~

I am now working for a Tauren Runemaster. But good idea for the lost one draenei, i forgot draenei is my favorite race. But if I fail making the runemaster' I'll try what you have said

A Lost One Reaver, what a cool idea. That may be a better idea than the Runemaster.

I have two questions:

1.It is needed to submit an icon for the model?
2.It is ok to accept idea from the others?
1) Nothing in the rules states that that is required. More importantly/easily, you can tell just by looking at the Thread Title: "MODELing Contest". : )
2) Of course it is! Again, not in the rules, because that'd be silly & impossible to moderate; technically *every* idea comes from someone else.
Some people just like to think of stuff themselves, but some of the coolest ideas come from collaboration (which gives me an idea for hosting the next Hero Contest...)

I would love to see a well-done & much-needed "Runemaster" unit, and Tauren's (or Dwarves) would be the perfect fit (do Wildhammer Dwarf!). However, if you're still looking for ideas:

Kyrbi0 said:
Well first off, do you have any preferences? Any race you like best, or unit you love the design of, or hero you want to create?

If not, for starters:
I wonder why no one has yet done an "Earthmother/Earthlord" or "Stormfather/Windlord". We've already got the Firelord and the Tidal Lord, and we desperately need to complete the set. Perfect opportunity.

That, or Goblins. Or Trolls! Or Pandaren. Man, Pandaren.

shit i totally forgot i was in this i better get to work on something
Heck yeah you better. :p

Final submission, I doubt that I will change anything else.
Awexome. That show-case pic is much better. Quite an impressive contender!

However, I have to ask... Just what is your fetish with Wolf-heroes? First the super-cool "Werewolf" hero, now this... Did you seriously have to make another laudable-lupine? :p I'm running out of room in my projects for such heroes, and running out of ideas for wolf-based abilities.

I've redone a number of the animations, and tried to add texture effects in.
Al-right.

So first off, I love what you're pulling off here; as you've described, you've really steered clear of the all-too generic "GGGRRR IM A BIG SKELLY WARRIOR" concept and leaned more towards a true "Warlord", a reasoned, powerful & calculated foe. Most importantly, you've really communicated this raw "controlled power" concept that is one of my absolute favorite "feels" in a character (see 'Protoss Archon', 'Combustion Man', etc. I'll write a blog-post eventually...). His Death & Dissipate manifest his impeccable honor & unconquerable pride... His attacks & spells just exude "I am in charge". His Spell Channel is one of my favorites (see above; love the "just barely floating above the ground" thing). Second only to a beautiful vision of "ascendant glory" found in the Dissipate anim. Verah Noice.

However, I have to admit that for all his splendor, extensive animations, beautiful mesh & smooth textures... He is lacking somewhat in the "Wc3-fitting" side of things. Again, no artist here, but he just seems too realistic. Would fit somewhat better in Diablo, methinks, or something of that caliber.

Not sure how to fix that, exactly (and even if you did, I would keep this version for uploading to the Resource section; it's killer. No pun intended). But the fur might be a place to start; it looks somewhat off. The skull's head could use more definition (bigger, cartoonier brow-ridges & eye sockets, perhaps), and ... yeah. Less smooth-ness in the textures?

Keep it up.

Make a worgen/wolf hero. Plenty of options for that since there aren't a large amount of hive.
image.png

Oh
yeah,
there's
next-
to-
none
of
those
here
at
The
Hive
Workshop

:<

Seriously, typing in "wolf", "worgen" and "werewolf" in the [Search] bar of the Resource section shows upwards of 30+ Wolf-based Heroes. Not only that, but we've already had 2 other people in this very contest doing a Wolf-based hero. (1 finished, the other changed his mind).

...And what unit would you base it on?
image.png

The... Wolf? Maybe the Druid of the Claw if you really needed to?

If you interpret it loosely enough, you could base it off the Druids of the Claw, as some kind of off-shoot. Druids of the Fang or something, y'know.
i was just thinking about the name i'm giving it, and started jumping randomly from page to page until i found myself reading wow lore (despite my prejudice with it) about the fairy dragons being guardians of the 'emerald dream' (a 'place') - and i was coming to a name which is druidic along that emerald dream atmosphere.

emerald druid, emerald guru... or something else, that could depict a faerie creature that is ancient, spiritual, serene and prophetic.. if anyone has a suggestion that isn't prawnosaurus i might take it.

Level 14
i was just thinking about the name i'm giving it, and started jumping randomly from page to page until i found myself reading wow lore (despite my prejudice with it) about the fairy dragons being guardians of the 'emerald dream' (a 'place') - and i was coming to a name which is druidic along that emerald dream atmosphere.

emerald druid, emerald guru... or something else, that could depict a faerie creature that is ancient, spiritual, serene and prophetic.. if anyone has a suggestion that isn't prawnosaurus i might take it.

Dream Keeper

Alright, so I've decided that I'm not going to touch the textures anymore. If there are any changes other than that, that are desperately needed, I'll update the model. If not, this is my final submission.

I suggest using the Death Knight as a base unit, with a few minor tweaks, such ase reducing his size to about .70, and lowering his death time. After looking at him ingame, abilities such as Cripple, Bladestorm, Death Pact and Bash fit him wonderfully.

Attachments

• SkeletonWarlord.rar
    476.3 KB · Views: 347

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44

... Um. I think Vermillion was referring to our conversation with Cromox about a worgen/wolf hero-base; I don't see how your hero has anything to do with Druids or Claws. :p

That being said, excellent question. Good diving into the lore for a name... And "Emerald" is just a scwheet word. "Dream Weaver" and "Dream Keeper" are both great. "Emerald Guardian"? "Emerald Watcher"? "Slumber Emperor"? lol.

Vermillion Edict said:
...I'm not going to touch the textures anymore. ...
:'[

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
View attachment 128887

Attempting the forest troll again. I just love this face too much to let it go.
Al-right! Glad to see you back, and even more glad you stuck with the Troll.

Please let me know what you got in mind; I'd love to help out. :p That being said, while I love the face, that bear-head seems really out-of-place; I can tell the difference in the high-quality Rexxar bear-texture & the regular-quality Naga Summoner-texture.

Dream Keeper
Dream Weaver?.
... Um. I think Vermillion was referring to our conversation with Cromox about a worgen/wolf hero-base; I don't see how your hero has anything to do with Druids or Claws. :p

That being said, excellent question. Good diving into the lore for a name... And "Emerald" is just a scwheet word. "Dream Weaver" and "Dream Keeper" are both great. "Emerald Guardian"? "Emerald Watcher"? "Slumber Emperor"? lol.

:'[
indeed. dont know why i thought it was to me.

emerald is quite shitty, yes. and weaver, keeper, guardian, are too arcane and humanly. i want something more tribal and/or spiritual and with an uncommon pronounce... like vizier, or guru. i guess it'll come up to me at some point..

View attachment 128887

Attempting the forest troll again. I just love this face too much to let it go.
i like it too. don't let it go. :)

Level 51
Al-right! Glad to see you back, and even more glad you stuck with the Troll.

Please let me know what you got in mind; I'd love to help out. :p That being said, while I love the face, that bear-head seems really out-of-place; I can tell the difference in the high-quality Rexxar bear-texture & the regular-quality Naga Summoner-texture.

Well it's supposed to be kinda this:
236042.jpg

I think the only reason that's happening is because of the stretched eyes.
P.S, I really hope you're gonna cover 'em up with some yellow eyes later and add some glow. ^^
Looking sweet so far, though!

Yep, indeed, gonna do that later. Thanks :)

i like it too. don't let it go. :)

Thankies.

Edit: bitchesbelike.PNG

Last edited:
Level 25
Another two set of questions:

1.How can I add pictures that is not a attachmentand also teach me to the showable and hidable images (sorry for the bad english).
Example:
And my First WIP:

(image)

Hope I can finish it before the deadline.

2.If my hero is an undead, will be it's dissipate is undeadish (will not raise)?

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
indeed. dont know why i thought it was to me.

... and weaver, keeper, guardian, are too arcane and humanly. i want something more tribal and/or spiritual and with an uncommon pronounce... like vizier, or guru. i guess it'll come up to me at some point..
Lol.

Alright, that's cool. Glad you have a distinctive "feel" in mind for the theme. However...

HappyCockroach said:
...emerald is quite shitty, yes...
? I said "Schweet", as in "Sweet", as in "Good". I love the word 'Emerald', especially for this guy; it's got a good number of syllables, is very visually evocative, and just rolls off the tongue. :<

"Vizier" is pretty cool too (although I can't think of it as anything but "evil vizier", like Jafar or that guy in the Thief & the Cobbler, and I'm not sure if "evil" is what this guy is going for for). "Emerald Vizier"?

"Spirit Watcher"? bleh
"Aether Prince/Vizier/Guardian"?
"Feylord"?

Well it's supposed to be kinda this:
236042.jpg
Interesting model. Looks good, so re-creating that isn't a bad place to start... After that, I think your only/biggest challenge (perhaps your only challenge overall in modeling :p) is turning that unit into a Hero.

Lookin' better so far.

Another two set of questions:

1.How can I add pictures that is not a attachmentand also teach me to the showable and hidable images (sorry for the bad english).
Example:
And my First WIP:

(image)

Hope I can finish it before the deadline.

2.If my hero is an undead, will be it's dissipate is undeadish (will not raise)?
I'm not sure if I understand your question... If you're trying to add pictures to... a post? Then either Attach it (use the paper-clip icon and upload it either from the Internet (URL) or your computer (browse thru files)... Or you can simply attach it directly as an img with the [img] tags (look up the "BBCode" link at the bottom of any page). Take the URL (from the Internet) of your image and put it between "img" tags.

2) Not necessarily (see Vermillion Edict's), though I think that'd be a nice touch.

Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.