• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Competition #8 - Illusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Pharaoh_, couldn't you judge this one? Spell judging wont take you long. Ofcourse if you're still busy it's okey.

Bribe? Meaby you can help with judge-find problem too (=

HAha classic thing to find judges! Although my only concern is which languages are approved and still the good ol' quote line we discussed a few pages ago:

Appointed judges must be experienced in the coding area and/or should at least have 1 spell or system approved in the Spells section.

Haha

Level 2
Question... by "conjuration of an illusion," does that mean we have to incorporate the Wand of Illusion ability, or can we use the mirror image ability?

Or (and this one is unlikely...) can we conjure an "illusion" by making it appear as if only one unit is approaching, when in reality, a whole bunch of guys are simply hidden from the enemy's vision...

Question... by "conjuration of an illusion," does that mean we have to incorporate the Wand of Illusion ability, or can we use the mirror image ability?

Or (and this one is unlikely...) can we conjure an "illusion" by making it appear as if only one unit is approaching, when in reality, a whole bunch of guys are simply hidden from the enemy's vision...

Every case that you have described there is acceptable.

Level 29
UPDATE:

Spirit Rage

The mage summons 6 spirits then transfers his soul to one of them.
The spirits casts 5 random spells to nearby enemy. The mage is reborn after 20 seconds or if the host spirit dies.

Spells casted:Chain Lightning:|r Hurls a bolt of lightning that bounces up to 2 times. Damages 30/40/50/60/70.

Cripple: Reduces movement speed, attack rate and damage by 10/20/30/40/50 %. Lasts 10 seconds.

Faerie Fire: Reduces a target enemy unit's armor by 2/4/6/8/10. Lasts 15 seconds.

Curse: Curses a target enemy unit, causing a 10/20/30/40/50% chance to miss an attack. Lasts 10 seconds.

Finger of Death: Instantly turns a creature or building inside-out. Damages 40/70/100/130/160.

Attachments

• SpiritRage - ZC#8 - Illusion.w3x
    30.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Level 2
Moonlight Veil

Description: Channels a ray of moonlight to hide the presence of allies in a 900 AoE. The ray takes 3 seconds to focus, reveals invisible enemies at night, and can be directed to the hero's will.

Screenshot...
307288_2498032776581_1425730548_32790770_67364753_n.jpg

One of those skill instances in the screenshot is mine, and one is for the enemy. They are all supposedly invisible, but as it is night, the pillars of light have true sight... so... meh.

Also, I know Perma-Invi ability doesn't work if you're channeling a spell, which is exactly why I used it. It's kind of like the fact you can't go invulnerable when using Big Bad Voodoo.

Added commands -refresh, -day, and -night.

My first failed trigger is also there.

Oh, and...

Every case that you have described there is acceptable.

Well, I guess i define the illusion to be the cloaking of allies around the pillar of moonlight, as well as the pillar itself...

Side note rants: Whew for a moment, I thought there was a bug with true sight. Then I realized I had a shade and a gyrocopter on the map. XD

Anyway, I seem to be the only GUI dependent submission... I'm kind of intimidated.

Let's hope I got the aim of fooling the enemy right...

Map...

Attachments

• Zephyr Contest #8 -- Creed Angelus.w3x
    28 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Level 29
@mckill2009 where are illusions in your spell? Overall it's really nice, but honestly I don't see this following the concept.

Just my opinion.

here...
Contestants must create a spell that has the conjuration of illusions incorporated, with the ultimate aim of tricking enemies. The illusion is free to be defined by the contestant.

I aksked Phraoh_ here if this is acceptable but he did not reply, so I posted it...anyway, the spell's idea is based on tricking the enemy on where is the real 'soul'...if wrong spirit is killed, then no efffect...if right then all spirits will die...

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
I'm not in this time. Even that it's coding contest (and a short one) I didn't find time for this one. Was thinking about spell only today, but considering that I do not like to upload shit, plus contest could be closed 9 days ago, I resign.

Good luck to you guys! Just four entries :p
Pharaoh_ will be probably confused seeing that ton of ppl resigned (= Meaby the next one (hope it's soon D;) will bring more people.

P.S. to be honest, I had similar problem as Garfield. My idea was just too risky. There would have to be ton of prevention stuff.

mckill2009, if this spell gonna be accepted, you probably won. watermelon will take 2nd and scorpion 3rd place.

Level 1
I see that there are only 3 names in the SUBMISSIONS list. I just wanted to know why the rest of the spells aren't there (including mine..). Are they not approved or is something the problem??

Level 2
Meh... Watermelon's skill is nice... it definitely confuses the enemy. I haven't tried it out, though... this is a judgement based on concept. Effing net cafe can't let me access into the drive where Warcraft is.

Level 2
I'm a bit sad that most ppl just focues on mirror images :S
Where is your creativity guys!

mckill2009 at least forced enemy to kill rapid moving spirts. About mirror images; it's so overtaken subject that it's boooooooooooooring. mckill2009 for the win!

Idk... I prefer Watermelon's submission... it's illusion based, but comparing Mckill's and Watermelon's entries...

Well, to trick an enemy is generally to get them to act based on false information. To confuse an enemy on the other hand, is to get them to act based on true information which they cannot mentally follow.

So Watermelon succeeds in TRICKING by forcing an enemy to attack one of many images, when there is no guarantee that the hero is even included among these units. The skill can even TRICK an enemy into ignoring the images, thinking the real hero is not included among them. Either way, the enemy will most likely also be CONFUSED.

Mckill's submission, I really like... and yeah, I agree that it's original. But I just don't see the trick. I mean it's more based on chance than actually tricking the enemy. It CONFUSES the enemy by giving them a host of choices to attack. Unfortunately, it also CONFUSES the player because everytime a spirit is about to die, they get an "OH SHIT, PLEASE DON'T BE THAT ONE!" feeling, since they don't know which one is the real one.

And when the spirits are done with their 20 second timed life, let's assume the enemy decided to simply stay out of the spirits' ranges for their timer... the enemy doesn't have to worry about where the hero will be, because he has a set spawn point.

Personal interpretation though... so don't sweat it...

Last edited:
Level 29
Thanks for your positive review guys...The idea of my spell is to 'stay away' from the
illusion created via BM's ability, like Spin said >>> mirror image is so overtaken subject,
I agree but not watermelons entry since his spell has a 'grand entrance' for the images...

Good luck anyway to all participants, may the best illusionist win! XD...

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
@Creed Angelus; thats just my opinion. You prefer watermalon's one, I do like mckill2009 entry.

Don't force me to change my decision in case everyone has it's own criteria.

And sorry - you say illusions trick enemies
I say: Those illusions have just one order, when player who controls a hero orders him to do anything else.. you must be blind to not realize which unit is the correct one.. where the trick? ;/
Mckill entry isn't perfect, there should be something like: what happens if wrong spirit dies? <something bad here> (basically mckill you could expand this a lot more ;> )
As I see, Pharaoh_ didn't answered mckill's pm, but didn't say that it won't be approved either.

Poll will be up, you will vote for one entry, I will for another one.

Creed Angelus said:
Amen... btw, I'mma pm you something about your spell. Just a heads up.
lol?

Level 16
I'm a bit sad that most ppl just focues on mirror images :S
Where is your creativity guys!

mckill2009 at least forced enemy to kill rapid moving spirts. About mirror images; it's so overtaken subject that it's boooooooooooooring. mckill2009 for the win!

It's based around confusing the enemy, and illusion is the most cookie cutter way to do that >_>

Level 2
@Creed Angelus; thats just my opinion. You prefer watermalon's one, I do like mckill2009 entry.

Don't force me to change my decision in case everyone has it's own criteria.

And sorry - you say illusions trick enemies
I say: Those illusions have just one order, when player who controls a hero orders him to do anything else.. you must be blind to not realize which unit is the correct one.. where the trick? ;/

Well, nope, I'm not convincing you to change your idea.

Exactly why I said "personal interpretation."

And for where's the trick...

Ok, so if this skill wants to trick an enemy, it has to be used by a hero with mostly passive abilities. (Critical strikes, stat bonuses, orb effects...)

Let's say the first time the spell was used, it was aimed at the ground. The user turns invisible, and leaves the enemy to deal with illusions. The number of illusions automatically confuses the enemy, and may get him to cast his spells. If he does, and realizes that they are all illusions, he will have been tricked into spending mana for nothing.

Now let's say the second time it was used, it was aimed straight at the target unit. This time, the caster is among the illusions. If the enemy has learned from the first time this was cast, he will expect all the units around him to be illusions. If he shrugs them off, thinking that, he has been tricked into taking a decent number of attacks from the illusionist.

The enemy would then learn from the second cast, and by the third time the caster does it, the enemy will be unsure of what to do when the illusions come running in.

Side note rant: Remind me again why this argument started? Mehehehe... Again, I'm not convincing you... Just stating my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.