• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WW2: World in Flames [REVISED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Jesus christ foxy, your last three posts have been nothing but "this is gonna be cool" and other random stuff. Please go postcounting somewhere else.

Graf Zeppelin-class Carrier completed:

file.php

file.php

file.php

Read the devlog post here.

Level 5
Jesus christ foxy, your last three posts have been nothing but "this is gonna be cool" and other random stuff. Please go postcounting somewhere else.

Why do you even bother about that, just skip another of her posts and that's all.

Back to topic.

Looks awesome, are the turrets just static or they will be able to shoot other ships or planes?

We originally had a plan to have a turret system for them that would make them fire independently, but it turned out to be too complicated for this map (we will have to do that in sarcraft instead). As of now, carriers are completely defenseless, which ofcourse was also kind of the point balance-wise since they should be valuable but vurnerable units that you want to keep in the back, away from combat.

Also, i don't want too much AA on ships (that of cruisers will do, and i will make a weak one for BB's). The reason for this is so that carriers would have to bring some fighters to shoot down the enemy planes (and the enemy could ofcourse bring his own fighters in the second wave to take down the defenders).

Level 19
But Fin, with such a complex map, wouldn't it be rather laggish with more than 5 players?

I'm really sorry Falafelkorv, I really didn't mean to annoy you...

Yak-9, trade system, starting menu... uhm... well, that is all i can think of.
Not much, that is!! Especially considering that the V2 is half-textured and the trade system is half-finished.

Another thing is ofcourse fixing some of the airplane bugs (mostly the one with freezing planes) but i trust that will go quick.

EDIT: i now added death animations for the Graf Zeppelin and the Akagi. Check out the epic video i found when looking for inspiration:

Level 12
wow can u send us a YT video when this come out?
looks so epic :)

at last for me that cant test ur map *..A sad face and a running tear..* :'(

Level 22
Yak-9, trade system, starting menu... uhm... well, that is all i can think of.
Not much, that is!! Especially considering that the V2 is half-textured and the trade system is half-finished.

Another thing is ofcourse fixing some of the airplane bugs (mostly the one with freezing planes) but i trust that will go quick.

EDIT: i now added death animations for the Graf Zeppelin and the Akagi. Check out the epic video i found when looking for inspiration:

Wow I didn't expect that explosion there, caught me off-guard lol.

Level 19
In those death animations, will there be people seen dying along with it as well?
Or will it just be mechanical without any trace of blood, like the usual death animations seen.
I saw some maps with those animations and they looked rather realistic hehe...

Level 19
It'll be out soon, don't worry.
Fin's just adding the finishing touches I guess, anyway it's better to play a well refined game later, rather than an early released, but lower in quality one.

Level 19
Just wondering though, Fin.
When you capture a Watchtower, would there be the model of a soldier standing in it like for the vehicles too?
Like, to easily tell which country got that Watchtower or to tell if it's captured.

PS: Or maybe a flag of the capturing country hung on the Watchtower could do too.

Level 22
Just wondering though, Fin.
When you capture a Watchtower, would there be the model of a soldier standing in it like for the vehicles too?
Like, to easily tell which country got that Watchtower or to tell if it's captured.

PS: Or maybe a flag of the capturing country hung on the Watchtower could do too.

The flag idea is a good one, and I was wondering the same thing.

Alright, to those of you who didn't catch it, we will have a beta test tonight in about 2.5 hours from now. Everyone from last time is welcome, and even others who happen to be interrested, just join our steam channel and hang around in group chat, or join the "wif" channel on northrend around the time we would start (you might have to wait for some time though, while i code in your names etc.)

Hoping for a nice full game tonight! Have fun!

We didn't test yesterday, i think i announced too late etc so no one showed up (except Garfield, who i think was there for other reasons), and vuorma was gonna watch a movie, etc.
For everyone who wants to test though, just join the WIF channel on northrend every saturday around 20.00 CET (type /j wif in the chat) and check if we are hanging out there. It can be worth to wait until about 20.10 which is when we usually show up. Pretty much anyone is welcome to join in now, since we are so close to open beta.

Level 19
Civilian models sound okay to me, as they do help players differentiate which territory they're fighting in depending on how the civilians look or dress.

Indeed, that was a Jak-9.

And civilian models seem to me like a horrible waste of map space, and besides, what do you mean separates the way an 1940's american dress from how a german, finnish, russian, or british would? Does the germans wear tyroler hats and lederhosen while the finns walk around bare chested in the snow wearing brace trousers (which they totally do)?

And what purpouse would they fill, would they just roam around the map like critters or be static like doodads?
Wouldn't they block the way for normal units?

Nah, i am pretty sure we are not gonan make civillians.

Well, borders are up to you to make, but yeah, the philipines has some cities, a harbour and an airfield, and lots of small islands to build coastal batteries on, so it could be a very potent naval base if you want it to.

I also recently added Guam, a small island in the middle of the pacific that holds a single watchtower and naval battery held by the americans in the beginning of the game. It might not look like much, bit itis located straight in the path between the Philippines and Pearl Harbour, and is likely to spot incoming naval attacks at an early stage. If the americans (or more likely the british) holds New Zeeland, the space between it and Guam is relatively small and can easily be covered by two or three destroyers to seal it off from surprise attacks. Put another two destroyers spread between Guam and Midway, and you will have a wall effectively dividing the pacific into two.

Status
Not open for further replies.