1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

WW2: World in Flames [REVISED]

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Fingolfin, Jul 16, 2010.

1. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What is the current MB count of the map, (down to the last byte)?

2. Vuormalainen

Vuormalainen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    7,68 MB (8*055*215 byte) over here, not sure if Fin has added something since tho.
    7,01 MB (7 354 966 byte) when optimized.

Could work if we're not going add anything else.

3. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Pfft, you guys have enough space for a couple things then right? 10 Models, at the most... 4-5 with custom skins, all depending on their compression rate etc.

4. PastTime

PastTime

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah but I think they wanted to add officers and flamethrowers to the allies as well, not to mention that Germans and Italians don't have them too.

5. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Germans have flamers. :\

Americans should definitely get flamethrowers.

6. Vuormalainen

Vuormalainen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Update:
    Just skyping with Fin, got my 3dsmax working again. But we did also notice my 3dsmax scene files didn't come along with my backup before I format my computer.. So all but the HE111 texture is lost. (which we will probably remake anyway now)

Now, we'd like to ask you all if you think we should make the HE111 or Junkers Ju88.

HE111
    Built: ~6k
    Used by: Germany only (of which nations there are in WiF)
    JU88
    Built: ~15k
    Used by: Finland, Germany and Italy (of which nations there are in WiF)

The HE111 might look prettier, but that's why we're asking you.

HE111:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JU88:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We will also use some other stuff like the widgetizer to remove unused unit data sheets, and squshers, compressers and so on. Still, we can't go at exactly 8mb, i'd say somewhere around 7.9 would be max. Flamethrower variants require 100kb EACH in actual space, maybe 30-40 compressed, so it is a tight squeese, not counting the german bomber model.

Anyways, i also thought, and i think this was up for discussion earlier: do you think maybe we could have different untis for other nations instead of the flamer? Say, if one unit had mortar teams (that as i also once suggested, could fire smoke rounds that causes all affected infantry to dodge 50% of incoming attacks), or maybe medics that greately increases the life regen of nearby units (or maybe has an active heal)?

I'm just rabbling, but let me know what you think about this.. on the one hand the flamer has an important role to fill (low-cost anti building infantry) and besides, it would be cool to have some variation?

8. PastTime

PastTime

Resources:
    Resources:
    Basicly most of these ideas could be done by using attachments of course, so every side could use medics/flamethrowers etc.

9. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Chinese Soldier > Italian Armor!

Remember to use MDX Squisher, and you can optimze your textures by opening them in Magos and saving them with a quality of 60%-80%. 70%-80% doesn't seem to harm the quality at all, and 60% is minor.

And optimizing the map will also reduce the filesize.

P.S: JU88 for filesize's sake! (They look very similar in my eyes, either way.)

Russian Spetsnaz snipers go go? :D

They want the texture to be different so that the units could be recognized at first glance, I suppose?

10. Hugomath

Hugomath

Resources:
    Resources:
    Honestly, I think the JU-88 fits better (since it was more produced and used by those countries), although I think the HE-111 looks cooler.

I like the idea of mortar teams. Also, Finns could have molotov soldiers :p

11. CrimsonDeath

CrimsonDeath

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think you should make chinese soldiers. it is a little strange that they have german soldiers :eekani:

I think the medics are a very good idea and that every country should have them but you dont need to make a new model for each just use the same.

I CANT WAIT TO TRY THE MAP! YOU PEOPLE ARE AWESOME! (almost as awesome as me :ogre_haosis:)

12. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Map optimizers seem to 'cause major glitches in my maps when I use them, so I stick to texture compression and model compression.

Last time I optimized a map, all of the tooltips were missing, triggers were gone, it was a nightmare lol.
    Also the HE-111 is much cooler, the HE models really scream Nazi Germany.

13. RollBoat

RollBoat

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    i think it will be nice if you add to:

Chinese-soldier.
    italy-soldier,armor.
    britain-RedDEvils(british airborne or maybe officer),churchill tank.

and maybe you should use ju88 becouse it is used by germany,italy an finland.
    But the HE-111 looks awesome.

14. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:

I don't really understand that. Infantry take more space than armor (1 soldier == 2 tanks) and Italy was a more prominent faction in WW2.

But yeah, LOADS of people have been commenting on the chineese infantry, so we might just be forced to make them, lol!

As for the other stuff, we already use both the optimizer (it works great) and texture compression rate of "50" (highest possible without too much quality loss) and have planned to use MDXSquish for all models, aswell as another program that removes duplicate frames. I would also love to see a program that rounds the coordinates of vertices, that would save loads of space.

We use the same texture for the flamer as for the regular soldier, and yes, it would be possible to combine it with the soldier/engineer to save maybe around 30% of the model size, but when i was making it, i just felt like it was too messy to make theese animations in the same file as the soldier and engineer since both their animations already took up thousands of frames, and it felt really messy to have to browse through them while animating, and the model would end up getting 25+ animations. Basically, it just felt better to make it into a separate.

@RollBoat: Yeah, Churchill and some other british stuff would be really great (maybe lancaster bomber), they really don't have enough unique units as it is. But then, there is the space issue again. Perhaps if i can find ways to further reduce it.

Finally, i think the choice between HE and JU is pretty damn hard; HE111 got all the good looks but JU-87 was used by all nations that will have it in the game. I have no idea which one to pick.

15. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Chinese soldiers with german outfits and faces just look bad, that's all. :p

16. PastTime

PastTime

Resources:
    Resources:
    Don't get me wrong but Italy didn't do that much during whole war... that's at least my opinion. Perhaps Chinese front wasn't as spectacular as any other but well, that is something new to most people who are not aware that China fought as well.

To be honest I think that JU-87 is more common, I've heard about it so many times that it convinced me that it was one of most common bombers ever used lol.

17. Hugomath

Hugomath

Resources:
    Resources:
    Italy participated more than China, in my opinion. Plus, Italy could battle more in what would probably be the main front of the game (Europe) than China.

Italy: North African Campaign, South-Eastern Europe (Greece) and Invasion of Italy.

China: Sino-Japanese war.

18. Gausslander

Gausslander

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    China participated by getting their asses kicked.

19. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No worse than Italy.

20. Gausslander

Gausslander

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Actually, much worse (in terms of population lost, amount of land lost in square miles, military lost, natural resources lost, enemies killed).