• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Weekend Mapping Madness #2 - Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
I guess I would lie if I'd say that I'm almost done, but I alread found some cool textures for my heroes :D
I have 2str, 3 agi and 3 int heroes. Some of them might get some minor model edits aswell but I'm not sure yet.

And I decided to go for 96x3xx for the map size.

Attachments

• DefenseMapWIP.jpg
    DefenseMapWIP.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Level 17
Lua object generation macro ahh come on :L now thats just plain eval. Coding a tool :L

Oh btw sounds reallly nice for map makers to lesson work o_O r you gonna upload that to hive after the contest? :L

Also do you think you could convert that to work for Sc2 as well?
Sounds like an extremly good idea and if it works well i would assume it should be added into things like Jassnewgenpack or if there will be a future modding pack for the Sc2 Galaxy editor. Cause that is just epic for saving time when 200 level of towers would usually take a few hours to make T_T due to the epic load time of 1min every new unit T_T

neat idea anyway.

Your terraining is fine its practical instead of beautifull xP :L Would be nice though if you added some variation like hills or areas where your hero can move up to or things which can have some taction to it instead of plain flatland :L

Try to avoid blizzard cliffs and use terrain heights.
Also maybe zoom in a bit more, it's very hard to see anything like that with all the fog.

Also as a reminder, anyone who doesn't post WiPs will be disqualified.
Although I'm not expecting that many today or tomorrow.
And yes, you will still be able to post your final work a few hours after the deadline due to some people having problems with the timezone ;_;

Level 1
this type of contest sounds interesting enough to even join thehive. i may fail - or worse i may even quit but ill try hard not to

Level 26
Next Wip:
You will have to defend this city. I know, the palace looks ugy, but I don't have time to create a custom model for it so this bunch of ugly sticked together doodads should do its job instead :D

Attachments

• DefenseMapWip2.jpg
    DefenseMapWip2.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 97
@Brambleclaw:

Lua Object Generation is done all the time :p

My Macro looks like this:

JASS:
//! externalblock extension=lua ObjectMerger $FILENAME$
    //! i id = 'h!00'
    //! i setobjecttype("units")
    //! textmacro NewTower takes name, description, type, cost, damage, range, speed, hitsAir, attackType, weaponType
        //! i createobject("hgtw",tostring(id))
        //! i makechange(current,"unam","$name$")
        //! i makechange(current,"uhot","")
        //! i makechange(current,"upgr","")
        //! i if "$type$"=="basic" then
            //! i makechange(current,"utip","Build " .. "$name$")
        //! i elseif "$type$"=="upgrade" then
            //! i makechange(current,"utip","Upgrade to " .. "$name$")
        //! i end
        //! i makechange(current,"utub","$description$")
        //! i makechange(current,"ureq","")
        //! i makechange(current,"ugor","0")
        //! i makechange(current,"ulur","0")
        //! i makechange(current,"urtm","0")
        //! i makechange(current,"ulum","0")
        //! i makechange(current,"uhpm","5")
        //! i makechange(current,"ugol","$cost$")
        //! i makechange(current,"ubld","3")
        //! i makechange(current,"usnd","")
        //! i makechange(current,"udef","10")
        //! i makechange(current,"ua1t","$attackType$")
        //! i makechange(current,"ua1b","$damage$")
        //! i makechange(current,"ua1d","1")
        //! i makechange(current,"ua1s","1")
        //! i makechange(current,"ua1r","$range$")
        //! i makechange(current,"ua1c","$speed$")
        //! i if "$hitsAir$"=="true" then
            //! i makechange(current,"ua1g","air,ground,item,ward,debris,structure")
        //! i elseif "$hitsAir$"=="false" then
            //! i makechange(current,"ua1g","ground,item,ward,debris,structure")
        //! i end
        //! i makechange(current,"ua1w","$weaponType$")
        //! i id += 1
    //! endtextmacro

//! endexternalblock

I don't if it would compile though :p

I see Maggy you are joining too ^^ But this time it will be me who is judging :S

:D I guess I should try to NOT disappoint you then :p

Level 26
last WIP for today. On the left side you will be able to buy weapons and armor, on the right side I will add some potions and tomes shop. There is also the tavern at the right(might get another model) and I might also add some unit upgrade units somewhere(in case there will be some time left to add that)
Base terrain only misses some defense spots like barricades and towers or something like that.

Attachments

• DefenseMapWIP3.jpg
    DefenseMapWIP3.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 96
Level 16
I don't have my terrain done, and my gameplay either, but here's my concept (Laying it out here so no one else does something similar ;D)

Tidal Defense, is a survival game that happens in rounds. Up to 2 players can try to survive to waves of attacking enemies. Set on a small island chain, both players and the fiery attacking monsters take damage from stepping into the water. The monster can attack, while the players cannot. However, the players have the ability to manipulate the positions of enemy units, pushing them into water through various abilities.

Currently, I have the basic island terrain done, and I've downloaded all the models I need (Along with finish my credits list also). I won't be able to post a WiP showing terrain/features/gameplay yet, but tomorrow you shall definitely see some activity, if not a playable demo. I predict that I will be able to finish on time.

What do you guys think? I wanted an original idea, and I figured this qualified as a survival game.

Here is my WIP of Eliminate the Terrorist :D. enjoy, but it is mostly terrain so far and haven't spent much time on anything else yet but is playable and remember that I will improve the terrain further.
Also I will not be using custom models for this contest as it would take a bit to long to organize it all.
Please tell me what you think about my map so far:)

Attachments

• Eliminate the Terrorist WIP1.w3x
    71.5 KB · Views: 42
@Don, the sand at the left side is a bit weird, too high I think.
@Jazz, no need for a playable demo as WiP proof, a screenshot will do.
Your idea is like survival mixed with Warlock :D
@Mag, don't waste your time on the map's title, you can just name it Magtheridon's Entry, you won't get any less points for that. You can then find a name in the upcoming contest.

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
@Maggy - please don't concentrade on Lua so much, it's not the main factor here and you know it.

@DeathChef Quick advices:

- correct map name
- correct map description
- check and correct the terrain's height (I guess you were using shallow water as base because there are places in town where while walking your hero leaves 'water tail'.
- what's the loop (the one with Custom script: exitwhen udg_StartAreaTerrorist != udg_StartAreaUndercoverPolice) for? After all you set the global to another random value immidiately after looping is finished.
- make sure you don't put any TriggerSleepAction() in initialization triger since I see you're calling DestroyTrigger(GetTriggeringTrigger()) function.

It's a WiP, but you still have a lot stuff to do.

Level 22
@Maggy - please don't concentrade on Lua so much, it's not the main factor here and you know it.

It would be the same as not concentrating on the OE :D

Map status.
-Terrain is finished.
-Most systems are finished. Just the spawn/level system and a region system that are left.
-4 hero classes completed with 4 spells each (and possibility of 5 abilities if time allows).
-Hero choosing idea has been solved yet not put into action.
-Not a single spell has been coded. (I'll focus on making my own. Have tons of systems that will make this part so easy =) )
-Not a single creep wave's OE has been created.

-What else do I need to update you with?

Level 22
Nothing, just show us a screenshot :D

lol

stupid thw cannot make them as attachments

5 large pictures for you... largest is 1920x1200 I think beware 21.5 mb total and i didnt seperate them

upperrightwip.png

upperleftwip.png

middlewip.png

downrightwip.png

downleftwip.png

not quite satisfied with the upperright but ill probably keep it that way

in the middle picture there are some marks, they show that the top regions arent a reclection of the bottom because of the vine texture (left one)

just basic terraining, nothing special and as said, isnt my strongest side; coding is

EDIT:

LOL THEY DIDNT EXPAND WITHIN THE HIDDEN TAG

Last edited:
Level 22
crap forgot the negation

oh god my spelling reclection -> reflection

and it's meant to have only 1 terrain type in each square... it's a thing about the map

edit;'

yeah I probably will add specialeffect doodads but that aint high priority

edit2: in each square*

Level 17
My Wip :L

Terrain 25%
Units 0%
Triggers 0%

Map name: Upgrade defense

Edit next update: 75% terrain, Core units 25%, Core Triggers 25%
75% Terrain, Core units 100% Core triggers 100%
100% Terrain,Core units 100% Core triggers% Additional Triggers/units 5%
Etc
Will upload a 2nd Wip which will follow through to a Final :L

Oh and thanks for the snapshots Vegeancekael :L

Yes time will be of the essence but there's still 36 hours to go ^^ (Who needs sleep?)

Attachments

• Mini map contest 5.w3x
    102.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.