Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warden #42

Submitted by Rufus
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Hosted Project Forum [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
Warden is a single player campaign with unique boss fights, puzzles and gameplay, inspired by Zelda.
[​IMG]
[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

-Main Features-
[​IMG] Arrowkey Movement
A very polished system for arrowkey movement has been created for this project. The player can also use
the cursor for movement, if that is preferred.
[​IMG] Intriguing Story
Canon to the warcraft lore, the story-telling in the campaign overmaps covers holes in warcrafts own lore,
such as how Felwood was before its corruption, or how Maievs prison where she held Illidan came to be.
[​IMG] Puzzles, Obstacles and Boss Fights
You will encounter a great deal of puzzles that requires some brains to solve, and obstacles where speed and
timing is key. Boss fights, which are fairly common, often requires you to those previous qualities together!
[​IMG] Cool Combat
Most enemies have a trick or two up their sleeves, so you have to dodge, dance around and pick your
moments to strike in a fight rather than just right-click them and hope for the best.

-Screenshots-

Leave a comment and rating if you like it! :)

[​IMG]
Contents

-Warden- 42 (Campaign)

Reviews
StoPCampinGn00b
After over a year of updates, Warden has risen to be one of the most unique and high quality campaign out there. Hack n' slash + puzzles + a new story is a recipe for success. Moderator rating bumped from 4/5 to 5/5.
  1. Shyster

Shyster

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Ah ok, that's what I was thinking. That gives each skill more meaning and is an easy way to keep the game interesting from start to finish.

I'd like to see what all you come up with for this. I love the idea of using other objects to help solve puzzles.

The recall to point ability and the controllable image. I think those are great ideas for a series like the one you're making. I'm interested to see the results and how they become part of the game.

2. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ah, now I understand. Thanks! :)
    Well, the Rewind (recall to point) ability is so much fun to work with. It is a really good mechanic that requires thinking to use correctly, and, if used efficently in combat, you can really have a good fight outcome. I also already have many puzzles that usees this mechanic, especially in Tropic Tomb.

The Projection ability (controllable image) is trickier to use in puzzles and such, but I had a few ideas when I created it, and it will be great for cautious players or sneak maps, when you need to scout an area before engaging.

I have a boss fight idea, where you havee to pick up and hold items in order to protect yourself from incoming attacks (like a shield) or attack from a distance by picking up a gun thingy. I think this can turn out greatly. :)

3. I Feel honoured.. :D

i hope the best for this project and good luck for you rufus!

4. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks!

5. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Emm-A-, I summon you!
    Just asking, as you have been very helpful, and played the warden maps: Do you think I should reduce the general difficulty?
    Then I mean make most puzzles and obstacles as well as enemies and bosses easier too. I'd love your opinion! :)

Anybody else are free to pitch in too, of course!

6. B22

B22

Resources:
    Resources:
    The episode 2 of my Warden lp videos are out

Watch my theard at Let's Play Videos for more.

7. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot!
    Keep them coming! :D

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  8. Sxar

Sxar

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Awesome map! Atmosphere is really sweet.
    I love controls and puzzles!

Minor fix:
    Score screen hero is Garithos instead the Warden.

Suggestion to improve:

- Creeps should have able/dissable life bar, maybe able trought ingame menu like energy bar and this bar should not be able in hard mode. Creeps in hard mode should have a small random bonus of HP so you don't know exactly the timing to do the last hit on each one and made each enemy unique. Another easy way to do this is add more dice part to Q attack...
    - Warden should do walk animation a bitter slowly or increase her ms.

Question: why remove the leaf board of the night elf? don't miss understand me, I love the clean menu, but why not use the night elf able?

9. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks! I'm glad you liked it! :)

Do you mean in the post game score screen?
    I thought I made the player skip that... :D

The game is best played with at all times enabled health bars. I gotta add this somewhere so that players are aware of it. Blocking out health bars only in one mode is not very easy, and it will probably not be done. I get your idea though, and it might be useful for future maps. Thanks!
    I thought walk animation was pretty much on spot, but I'll see if I can improve it further! I will increase animation speed, not movement.

Well, because the UI in the map is very special. First of all, I wanted the map to have a minimalistic UI, and that allowed for a very clean design as it is now. The normal UI (night elven fo example) is made up out of 4 pieces of BLP images. Changing those takes more filespace, and, more importantly, does not block out the clock. It took me forever to figure out how to hide the clock permanently, as there were always glowing effects shining through the UI. So, what I did was replacing the clock with the current UI, swatting two flies with one strike.

Which map was your favorite?

10. Lord_Earthfire

Lord_Earthfire

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well, i found 2 bugs while playing the map. Thats a really great series you got there :) (btw, i like the Legend of Zelda references in there, for example that chicken...)

-I can skip the talk with the chieftain (and keep my hard earned money :<) by bringing a barrel from the floor before to the entrance of the endless cave, blowing the rocks up.
    -After i killed the boss sludge, the game doesnt conclude. The attached tentacle effect of the boss still lingered, while other mobs and tentacles still spawned. Did i miss something there or was this a bug? For sake of replication, i began tanking the sludge from like 75% hp, just running away when set up the traps or that "burning" effect. (Well, i had like 4 soul stones on hard left, so i didnt bothered with tactics on that one :D )
    -The first bridge from the entrance in the first cave can be blown up. You can still walk over it, so its just a cosmetic problem.

11. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oops and Oops.
    I will get working on those bugs when I get home.

I'm glad you like the concept! Did you try the other maps? :)

12. Lord_Earthfire

Lord_Earthfire

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yeah, but not all of them. I'm missing Bonechiller Burrow and Forest temple, but i wanted to try these when i got some free time. I like the idea and especial i appreciate the movement and combat system. Theres quite thought behind that.

13. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm really glad you liked it!
    Personally those two are my favourites, Bonechiller Burrow having slightly better gameplay, and Forest Temple having a real nice Zelda atmosphere. I'm excited to hear your opinion! :)
    I love their music so much.

14. Urim03

Urim03

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hello, I could solve the puzzle at first lvl, but there was a bug.
    Visionneuse images - Noelshack
    The bonus did apply countless time, and I ended up with 5000+ damage instead of 110. I one shotted boss, not sure of how hard he was.

Other than that I really like this campain atm, but I'll wait to finnish it to give a rating. I think it should be nice to give example on catapult note "how to use", and if possible improve moving path (sometimes she stop move for like 0.5 sec, or move slowly and seems to get blocked by something invisible). Though I'll be honnest, I hardly never did a wc3 map without get these kind of path problem, so not sure of if it's really possible to improve.

15. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Did you enjoy it? A puzzle game is really enjoyable!

16. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Good job man!
    Few people seem to be able to solve that puzzle!

I'll look into the repeating bug. EDIT: Solved!
    I'm not sure what you mean about the movement bug. The thing that she reacs slowly after pressing an arrowkey, that is just warcrafts engine, and unfortunately I don't think anytthing can be done about it. :/
    But being blocked by something invisible and move slower at times, I'm not quit sure what you mean here. Care to elaborate?

There is a book you can find that tells you how to use the catapult. You managed to figure it out anyway?

I'm glad you want to play more! What would you give the map you played in score?
    Be sure to leave more comments if you find anything that is wrong, or if you find something that you really like, so I can perhaps use similiar concepts again. :)

17. Urim03

Urim03

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah it's relly fun ! I like the map atm^^

a) Mmmmh, I don't really know. It's probably due to structures hitbox being weird, unfortunatly you can't do anything against that. Also sometimes it happend when I tried to destroy a scarab's nest, in that case it can be creep block. (can be solved by making some ennemies flying ? but then might become weird and be a bad idea)
    Also happend once with these tower throwing out things, where you need to be under ams to survive. At right of mid tower, if you don't follow the designated path you get blocked by something invisible.

b) I found it, though took me some times to understand how to write it, that's why I suggest to put an example in the book.

c) I would prefer finnish it to give a real rating, but I really enjoyed first lvl ! Atm I would say 4.5/5, maybe more.

18. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I tried with flying units, but that was strange. I've also tried with the warden ignoring unit collision, but that ended up nasty.
    I haven't heard anyone else have this kind of issues though, so perhaps it is not a super big problem. :)

I'll see if I can add an example too!

All good with the rating. I'm asking because I want to know which map people prefer the most, so that I'll know what way to continue develop future maps.

19. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Fixed those issues now. :)
    Did you try any of the other maps?

20. Shanghai

Shanghai

Resources:
    Maps: