• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WARCRAFT III: REFORGED PATCH NOTES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Not only "fanboys". Everyone should have seen that coming. I'm absolutely baffled by the completely naive reaction of the community. Everyone who took their time and read one or two sentences about the last patches or the beta should have known that. So i personally am really at loss how everyone reacts. As if this came as a shock for anybody.

Maybe it is just me being to old for this shit. But i sincerly don't understand this people.

My reaction is currently "eh, knew it. Let's wait a month or two". This reminds me so much of "no mans sky".

No Man's Sky IMO is pretty much in better condition. The refund policy works at the time. And at least, the core of "procedural generated" space explorer is delivered. and AFAIK there were quick-patches occured.

In W3R, the core is overhaul. We did not expect any extra features or some new story; just remaster. Yet at the launch, some features missing, bug comes in, and aftersales support is contributing to the sh*tshow.

Extra:
From my region (SEA), none of the regions have good latency (in custom games). All red. Isn't the game hosted on server (not P2P anymore) and relayed to nearest region?

Level 34
Maybe it is just me being to old for this shit. But i sincerly don't understand this people.
Oh can you imagine reaction of my fiance seeing me yesterday all day doing this? She is at work now so she can't see me now. I am also old for this shit, but I cannot resist. I told her that something forced me, stronger than myself. I was silent for too long, I cannot take anymore those corporative fools playing us around. I had to fight them and resist as far I can!

@deepstrasz oh man, they recieved fel from people worldwide... Too much fel from youtube, metascore, social networks.... Even from me here. :cgrin:

and aftersales support is contributing to the sh*tshow.
Their support is AWESOME! Awesome at banning people. Also they seem to have great knowledge about each subject one asks them
They are so awesome that they today forced close my ticked without giving me opportunity to defend myself. They try to force me create another ticked, angry one this time around so they can ban me! This time permanently!
I am strongly resisting that. I wish to create ticket to show them youtube videos, hove, social networks and metascore to prove them that they can't silence me. But we will see. I will not fall into trap this time.

Level 16
To everyone defending Blizzard at this point, you don't owe them anything. If you are in the minority that feel ok with Blizzcunt at the moment, good for you. But the majority of your fellow players, 90% of your fellow friends, brothers, are dissapointed. Please take a step back in respect to that, and try to think how you'd feel if you'd be on this side of the fence. Honestly, I wish I was on your side, it wouldn't suck this much.

The truth is, the situation with Deforged is bad. And the way they're handling it is worse. To top it off, our old beloved warcraft 3 is unplayable and gone forever.
I don't see a silverlining.

Level 13
To top it off, our old beloved warcraft 3 is unplayable and gone forever.
How and why is it unplayable? Just turn it on and play it. From my experience, melee singleplayer games in SD have far less bugs than a couple of previous patches.
Btw, I'm not defending Blizzard or anyone or anything, or attacking anyone or anything.

Level 34
To everyone defending Blizzard at this point, you don't owe them anything. If you are in the minority that feel ok with Blizzcunt at the moment, good for you. But the majority of your fellow players, 90% of your fellow friends, brothers, are dissapointed. Please take a step back in respect to that, and try to think how you'd feel if you'd be on this side of the fence. Honestly, I wish I was on your side, it wouldn't suck this much.

The truth is, the situation with Deforged is bad. And the way they're handling it is worse. To top it off, our old beloved warcraft 3 is unplayable and gone forever.
Yeah! Truth! Everyone should consider what this man just said!

Level 16
How and why is it unplayable? Just turn it on and play it. From my experience, melee singleplayer games in SD have far less bugs than a couple of previous patches.
Btw, I'm not defending Blizzard or anyone or anything, or attacking anyone or anything.
Read my previous posts, I've written at least 3 big paragraphs about it.

Yeah! Truth! Everyone should consider what this man just said!
Sadly it's the dark times of warcraft 3 again, where the community will be crushed between Garena, eurobattle.net and other 'private' illigal channels. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the people who were defending Ghost and Gproxy had it right, we were the fools all along.

Level 6

I'm a melee player. Top solo in 2011. I cannot play.

- Indistinguishable colors.
- No algorithm for MatchMaking.
- It gets bugged when finding a game and forces a restart.
- No statistics at all.

And the most important for all of us, experienced players:

Absolutely AWFUL performance. Even worse for AMD graphic cards owners.

So no, don't think that if you play melee you are 'saved'.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
@deepstrasz have you buy game yet?
Of course not.

custom campaigns along with many other things like clans we not launched with the launch, given the clans button is in your friends tab grayed out and says something about "getting worked on" its safe to assume that missing features will be coming in time, i assume the clan system will be a little more fancy than just a straight port, also theres a little plus button by your portrait on the main menu im assuming this will be to add friends to a party in order to que for games together and join custom matches similar to how sc2 is
It's inexcusable regardless. Imagine shipping TfT without the campaign. Of course, they played it ultra smart with the Orc Campaign as it was called Bonus.

But should they say something about it before? ,,Custom campaigns are not coming for now"
Exactly, not even an alleged known issues report.

t is not necessarily because it looks bad, but you are not respecting people's ability to think independently and and decide what is the key information themselves.
Poor snowflakes.

I bought this game to enjoy it for years to come, I could not care less how buggy it is at launch as long as they fix it eventually. I have waited for a visual overhual for ten years, I'll survive for a while longer.
Stockholm syndrome.

@deepstrasz oh man, they recieved fel from people worldwide... Too much fel from youtube, metascore, social networks.... Even from me here.
Warcraft_III_Reforged_Logo.png

Level 4
Can I get an unbiased list of whats currently wrong? From what I can tell so far

1. No new voice acting or maps done to fall into compliance with WoW story
2. No new cutscenes
3. No Custom Campaigns
4. New ToS so Blizzard owns your ideas
5. Buggy

I've also heard that there is bad matchmaking in ranked? Wouldn't that just be because ranked got wiped?
For me I didn't want 1, didn't have any hopes of 2 happening, 3 sounds like a bummer but will be fixed eventually and 4 is just a dick move. And lastly 5 I'll just drop it for a month and come back to fixes if its somehow unplayable. If this is all the problems then I'll still enjoy Reforged immensely as all I ever wanted was updated graphics and no story changes.

Level 16
Look at Blizzard, and Metacritic filthy review abuse. So user score for the past 3 days? 0.8 so far. Two reviews from 'Critics' with a 75/100 and 65/100? It will go up to ~70 by default. Cunts. Blizzard could put these resources to fix the damn game, instead they're paying reviewers for even more false advertisement. It's so obvious that it's sickening.

Just go to Metacritic and read them yourselves.
grey are still not accepted to the metascore, green and yellow are. 4 critic reviews are minimum requirement for a metascore.

Level 6
1. No new voice acting or maps done to fall into compliance with WoW story
2. No new cutscenes
3. No Custom Campaigns
4. New ToS so Blizzard owns your ideas
5. Buggy

i can give you an unbiased or the current facts to match your question
1. true
2. pretty sure is true not all the way through my self yet
3. we still have the custom campaign folder in our documents, thoughts are its unimplemented for now as is with clans, assume coming at a later point
4. yes but is not super new since its alrdy like that on sc2 and blizzard isnt the only one, but yes to new to wc3, they dont want a dota repeat
5. i my self have not uncounted any bugs, there are missing things (clans, custom campaigns, offline that doesnt force bonjour and make it like its lan) theres alot of things being called a bug (like things missing) thats not really a programming bug

for the ladder, ive seen it go from not working (talking to people in wc3 general, in game), to working poorly, and some working fine as far as matchmaking goes, also while stats are not visable to us for now, you can link your old classic wc3 profile to your bnet account, theres a button in the bottom of options, i dont have any info on wiping stats or a fresh start to all

i do like seeing another sound person who understand things will likley be fixed

Even worse for AMD graphic cards owners

sorry to hear but its a common trend with amd for years gone by to have more issues

Level 7
They butchered my baby...
I just came out from the Human Campaign in Reforged with a sour taste in my mouth.

It'll take a long time before they get to fix...everything.
Damn I didn't expect them to destroy the classic version.

Level 4
Makes me laugh some users defending that it deserves more than 0 and whatnot (I don't care about metacritic)
But how many games do you know that:
1 Destroyed their legacy hard without warning, you can't download the old client or play on the old bnet
2 Go from 1GB installation to 27GB installation (same with the download, btw is there an offline installer?)
3 Go from 1GB memory usage to 2GB (or more)
4 Remove many features
5 Remove the ability to use third party tools, when in the past they were used for more than 10 years no problem
6 Downgrade the graphics
7 Kill the mapping/modding community with the new rules/conditions (also 5)

I don't know of any game-company that has done worse than that, Blizzard has set a new bar of how low a company can go. Short of releasing the game unplayable or just removing the game from their library, Blizzard couldn't have done worse (they probably couldn't do worse because then they couldn't have sold the game)
The No mans sky comparisons make 0 sense since that game had no legacy plus the game was and is bad, hello games is no Blizzard

Sadly it's the dark times of warcraft 3 again, where the community will be crushed between Garena, eurobattle.net and other 'private' illigal channels. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the people who were defending Ghost and Gproxy had it right, we were the fools all along.
I'm/was one of those, been playing with some friends on eurobattle since the removal of the bots patch

I repeat myself for anyone thinking 1.29+ game versions are fine... GL you will need it

Level 6
Compare WoW expansions. Most players agree that the WoD expansion was the worst to ever be released by miles. However it had a pretty good launch in terms of content, people did not start to complain after a few weeks when they noticed that they had completed all the existing content and the game was mostly empty.

I'd take one month of bug fixes that leads to a decent game rather than a month long decent game that then turns into shit.
I'd rather have the unstable launch as it gives me more in the long run.

im sure ill get some flame at me for doing this, but chaosy has a good outlook on how blizzard does things these days
my outlook is similar, wc3 is an old game, they launched reforge, the core singleplayer aspect is there, custom games are even working, other things on a delayed release on things should be completely reasonable to anyone, especially those who have been in the blizzard community for a number of years, those who have actually been apart of anything using bnet 2.0, wc3 no longer uses 1.0 so its expected for it to run and update like other bnet 2.0 games

Level 35
My problem with all of this, is not just the flaws/missing content/bugs/support - but most of all the change to the EULA so Blizzard lays claim to every custom content and idea made for Wc3 and Wc3 reforged (Oh and changing ownership of Wc3 if you update to be a subscribtion, but meh). Anyway, just means I won't be creating content for Wc3 - other than models not personally used for Wc3. A darn shame.

Level 6

I was extremely hyped about the new models and the modding capabilities they entail but ingame they don't quite gel with the game. I don't think it's as bad as everyone says it is but it's not what I normally expect from Blizzard. I really wish this had a higher budget and an extra year of development. It's obvious the restructuring of Blizzard affected this project. This could have been truly great but for me at least it is so so. I am fortunate enough to not have technical difficulties.

The most disappointing thing is that they ruined classic. They probably made some engine changes necessary to accomodate the new models that had consequences in the classic version. They should really just give a classic version to the players demanding it.

I read in a dev tweet that they are bringing back custom campaigns. I really really wish to make custom campaigns for this. I regret not saving it to show it to others but perhaps someone could link it here.

EDIT: AAAAAaaand now I get a black screen whenever I try to open the game. Great...

Last edited:
Level 16
this is no different than sc2, it really shouldnt be any surprise
And how's sc2 custom going? The moment I saw they monetized maps in custom, that's the moment I uninstalled the game, and the blizzard launcher. Warcraft 3 was the only branch holding me to some respect for Blizzcunt, and that respect is now lost entirely.
EDIT: AAAAAaaand now I get a black screen whenever I try to open the game. Great...
hahaha :)

Level 34
AAAAAaaand now I get a black screen whenever I try to open the game. Great...
Blame Blizzard, its all their fault! When they need to earn money, I never seen black screen, disconnect, slow down and such! Taking money runs smoothly.
When they need to deliver product, then bugs, black screens, disconnects, slow down happen.

The moment I saw they monetized maps in custom, that's the moment I uninstalled the game, and the blizzard launcher.
Age of espionage and control man!

Punish and banish corporation!

Level 6
And how's sc2 custom going?
i lost interest after a number of my favorite maps stopped getting updated, wc3 community much more reliable, currently working with a number getting thier reforged pieces going

But the user review still dropping like...
can we stop giving the review bombing publicity? its already been made clear that review bombing is frowned apon by the general gaming community

Age of espionage and control man!

Punish and banish corporation!
seriously, your starting to sound like a tin foil hat kinda guy, give it a break maybe?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Makes me laugh some users defending that it deserves more than 0 and whatnot (I don't care about metacritic)
But how many games do you know that:
1 Destroyed their legacy hard without warning, you can't download the old client or play on the old bnet
2 Go from 1GB installation to 27GB installation (same with the download, btw is there an offline installer?)
3 Go from 1GB memory usage to 2GB (or more)
4 Remove many features
5 Remove the ability to use third party tools, when in the past they were used for more than 10 years no problem
6 Downgrade the graphics
7 Kill the mapping/modding community with the new rules/conditions (also 5)

I don't know of any game-company that has done worse than that, Blizzard has set a new bar of how low a company can go. Short of releasing the game unplayable or just removing the game from their library, Blizzard couldn't have done worse (they probably couldn't do worse because then they couldn't have sold the game)
The No mans sky comparisons make 0 sense since that game had no legacy plus the game was and is bad, hello games is no Blizzard

1 The game was announced two years ago, how is that "without warning". You have never been able to download the old versions of warcraft 3 (since they started with the new patches at least) from official sources why would that suddenly change?
2 WHAT?! more complex models and higher resolution textures take up more space?!?!?!
3 The game is more demanding, obviously, it increases the ram.
4 And added features
5 No, it removed some third party tools. And this was not done in reforged, this was done in an earlier patch when they switched from the mpq format.
6 Subjective
7 Straight up false, there is another thread about this.

I am not claiming that reforged is flawless but some of those points really are stupid to my eyes.
How are increased requirements a surprise to anyone? did you really expect to run it on the same hardware?

Points 1, 4 and 5 are fair enough.

Last edited:
Level 6
But Reforged fully deserves it.
no review bombing its frowned apon by the gaming community there are other/better/worthwhile ways to get the point accross
complaining on the forums will get better results

nothing deserved review bombing, why even have a review system at all then?

Level 6
Straight up false, there is another thread about this.
can i have a DM to that forum i need more happy devs wanting to make things, less flaming angry people who have never seen a major content change in a blizzard game before

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
can i have a DM to that forum i need more happy devs wanting to make things less flaming angry people who have never seen a major content change in a blizzard game before

Here are the important bits.

Oh young ones, let me spoil you something: It has always been that way

If you read the EULA back in 2002-2003 Blizzard owned your maps (or anything you made with the World Editor). It has always been that way, they just changed the wording. They don't, however, own your concepts (actually, for the most part, you can't copyright a game concept, you can patent it if you want, though). That EULA gave them the grounds to fire trademark dispute for DOTA which they solved amicably with Valve in the next manner: The DOTA(Defense of the Ancients) belongs to Valve but has an exception to be used in any Blizzard game.

If you make a map called "My awesome Game" and then you decide to make your own game with the same name, you can register the trademark for yourself but you should add an exception for your original mod and its derivatives. Blizzard only owns the map itself, not the game concept, not the assets you created, not the trademark (can fire a trademark dispute though). Same thing with game concept and patents (they can dispute your patent claim and exceptions won't get you to drop it). You, however, shouldn't patent a game concept, nobody does that and it's a very asshole move.

Now assets(models, textures, art work, sounds music) are a different topic. You own the copyright of them as far as it's an original work, if it's a derived work like 95% of assets in this site, it's a gray area and you may not own them at all. What you must do as a copyright holder of them if you intend for them to be used in Wc3 maps is grant unrevocable permission for them to be used in Wc3 custom games. Your artwork/music concept it's yours to posses, you do not have to grant ownership of it, just permanent permission to Blizzard to be used in custom games. (Actually Ralle should add a binding ToS on asset submission for that which pretty much is kinda implicit already).

TL;DR Nothing has really changed, there's just more specific wording but legally speaking it's the same contract with less ambiguity.

Just to clarify: Intellectual property will always be yours. There is no EULA that can deny you that thing.

So if you create a map, the whole design, story, lore, etc. will always and exclusively be yours. The only thing that blizzard "owns" by definition of this EULA is the actual map itself - as in: it holds the rights to this exact build in this exact fashion.

In other words: Blizzard owns the file. But you still own the ideas, design principle, story, etc.

And just by the way: This is nothing new. It has always been like this since the release of WC3.

This means that Blizzard can make a game similar to your map. They can also sell your map. But they can not copy your characters, lore, name, etc.

No, by allowing it to be used in a map, you are not giving them copyright. You are giving them permanent permission to use your asset however they want royalty free. This means, you still own your model but you can never bring legal charges against blizzard for having custom maps with that model. It's more about protecting themselves than taking your rights.

Have in mind, though, that if your model is a derived product (you used someone's else copyrighted material for making it. Example, model edits). You do not have rights on that model. Pretty much, you had to make the model from scratch for it to be yours only.

Level 3
You have never been able to download the old versions of warcraft 3 (since they started with the new patches at least) from official sources why would that suddenly change
That's not true. I downloaded original a week ago or so. And it worked fine till reforged release. THEN it started updating, downloading 30gb of trash.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Yes but if you could not download 1.28 when 1.30 was out, why is it a surprise that you cannot download 1.30 when 1.32 is out? (1.32 is the reforged patch, yeah?)
This is not ideal, but it is not a problem reforged introduced. That is all I am saying, many of these complaints came in earlier patches but are bundled in with reforged for some reason.

Level 6
those make me feel so great, i hope every one reads them (probly wont) before they bother to complain
ty for digging those up and thanks those who found them for the other forum, if you happen to pass them by

Level 34
It might be faulty/old graphics driver/card.
I am not talking about me. People whose can run game actually reported issues. Oh, sometimes instant defeat and such. basically just like Beta, but slightly better. Still, uncontrollable effects and bugs.
I am not even going to talk about weaker PCs.
By the way, I cannot run Reforged graphics, but I do not get black screen.I get it only half minute when launch it. Once it show I never get it again. But people reported stuff happening at random.

@knight26 oh, to avoid confusion, by my previous post I meant by ,,age of espionage and control" thing that Blizzard likes to oversees what you play. That is why by default you are always online. Now you have offline button as optional. But I heard before that even then they can see once you get online what you played. Back then nobody were overseeing you and what you do. But hey, modern times.

Level 3
Hey guys, especially @DrakPanda , I just write to remind you that those passages Chaosy has put together are not the only important bits of the discussion.
I'll try to summarize the results to you in the quickest manner possible.

The EULA is a contract that you, modder/user, sign with the Company that sells you Warcraft 3 reforged: Activions-Blizzard. The EULA wording has changed since the old one. It is now closer to the one you can observe in Sc2 and the changes raise many concerns and doubts among several users.
Among many points one appears paramount: the automatic IP property transfer from modders to blizzard. Although it is written there that you, modder, forever transfer to Blizzard the intellectual property of everything that you own and put inside a custom map, it is not clear how enforceable that clause is in practice. Therefore, due to various reasons explained in detail in the discussion, some people expressed the opinion that the new EULA won't affect your intellectual property, some others expressed the opposite opinion.

I hope it's a more complete picture than what was posted here above.

Edit: a parallel discussion that revolves around pretty much the same topic and is extremely informative to read is TOS explanation and myths

Last edited:
Level 4
1 The game was announced two years ago, how is that "without warning". You have never been able to download the old versions of warcraft 3 (since they started with the new patches at least) from official sources why would that suddenly change?
2 WHAT?! more complex models and higher resolution textures take up more space?!?!?!
3 The game is more demanding, obviously, it increases the ram.
4 And added features
5 No, it removed some third party tools. And this was not done in reforged, this was done in an earlier patch when they switched from the mpq format.
6 Subjective
7 Straight up false, there is another thread about this.

I am not claiming that reforged is flawless but some of those points really are stupid to my eyes.
How are increased requirements a surprise to anyone? did you really expect to run it on the same hardware?

Points 1, 4 and 5 are fair enough.

I'll give you important context: I wasn't talking about reforged, I don't have reforged, "It was done before reforged" won't cut it
1 2 years ago where was the warning? did they say they would replace the original client with the reforged one? in hindsight they did the same with Starcraft remaster so I guess we should have expected the same outcome. But SC1 went from 1-2GB to 6GB, not from 2GB to 27GB
2 As I said not talking about reforged
3 The game is more demanding with the added drawbacks and that is good?
4 Pointing that they added features doesn't address the removed features, it dodges the question
5 Which 3rd party tools work now?
6 There is objective evidence, many graphical effects have changed and the game has less graphical options and some of the options the game used to have have been gated to reforged only, it doesn't even have gamma bar option (which SC remaster has, maybe we will get this option later...)
7 Thanks for providing evidence for this one (some posts later)

Checking how SC remastered went, many stuff that was on the original game/bnet was added after though... Patch 1.20 - Liquipedia StarCraft Brood War Wiki

Fired the game (I did get remaster on sale some time ago), and already had issues, invisible cursor... sigh

Level 6
idk maybe look up any of the past controversies that have come of it, its unethical

and no not commenting on this further your profile pic is troll enough

removed features
just so i can have a better understanding what has been removed specificly? and not questionable things that may get added in later like clan, are there any thing we know absolute sure, or have evidence to that show we are not going to get them?

keep in mind this is bnet 2.0, and week one of launch

now something to keep the trolls away, i dont want to see anyone state 1.0 was better than 2.0 just becuase some features are not yet active in warcraft 3 reforged
and no we arent going back to bnet 1.0 just so trolls can hide behind temporary accounts like they use to

Last edited:
We're all passionate about this and this topic has sparked a huge discussion, but we all still have to wait and see what happens. The people who are unhappy have been able to show their dissatisfaction, and those who are happy have been able to show their appreciation. It is clear that the two groups of satisfied/dissatisfied people aren't gonna change each others minds anytime soon so no reason to fight among ourselves over this.

People who hate it can pirate an earlier version, and those who loves it can keep playing a broken game. More will be unveiled when Blizzard comes with their next official response and/or patch so we all have to wait until then.

@DrakPanda
@MasterHaosis

Come on guys :p We have no idea what the next patch is gonna bring. Maybe they screw us over entirely, maybe they fix the current issues. We just have to wait. I am hopeful, but not too hopeful. I don't want my dreams crushed :D

Level 4
just so i can have a better understanding what has been removed specificly? and not questionable things that may get added in later like clan, are there any thing we know absolute sure, or have evidence to that show we are not going to get them?
I find very interesting the way you phrased that... "tell me the removed features but also have you any evidence that they won't be added later" WTF? What kind of loaded question is this? How the hell should I know? I don't work for Blizzard and I have no knowledge of their decision making

Level 34
seriously, your starting to sound like a tin foil hat kinda guy, give it a break maybe?
0.8/10 rate, too many disappointed with tons of youtube videos, many rage about refund, bad reviews worldwide mostly.... Overall I am fine how situation is going against Blizzard, so I do not tend to stop. Not yet.
Warcraft III: Reforged
Oh look, it is still 0.8 :cgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.