• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 patch wish list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
there are differnce between stacking the same buff and the same BASE buff. Ladder games would be fine if stacking being allowed.

Lets say I have 2 abilities with silence, different heroes owns them. When one casts, it dispels previous one, regardless whichever is longer. Thats why.

Or different acid bombs. Or whatever the fuck I want to stack. Different buff ID? Should stack! End of story.

Level 11
They were taking issue with your hyperbole, Mr Lich, not actually disagreeing with you. "Intentionally forbid" conjures the mental image of Blizz cackling evilly and twirling their mustaches, when in reality they were just in crunch time making an RTS and did what worked to solve their problems, not thinking about how it will affect modders.

Level 19
They were taking issue with your hyperbole, Mr Lich, not actually disagreeing with you. "Intentionally forbid" conjures the mental image of Blizz cackling evilly and twirling their mustaches, when in reality they were just in crunch time making an RTS and did what worked to solve their problems, not thinking about how it will affect modders.
well thats misinterpretation, my post meant "It's done with purpose" instead of "blizz wanted to fuck us ever harder". You see, when I disabled those checks, some buffs went crazy a bit, creating issues. I believe they've turned stacking off from the very start and then copypasted ability's code further, intentionally forbiding stacking for good sake. Thing is they've never get to fix those bugs.

well thats misinterpretation, my post meant "It's done with purpose" instead of "blizz wanted to fuck us ever harder". You see, when I disabled those checks, some buffs went crazy a bit, creating issues. I believe they've turned stacking off from the very start and then copypasted ability's code further, intentionally forbiding stacking for good sake. Thing is they've never get to fix those bugs.

Perhaps, until MindWorX gets the green-light to say otherwise. ;)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
well thats misinterpretation, my post meant "It's done with purpose" instead of "blizz wanted to fuck us ever harder".
Well, I appreciate the disambiguation. However, since I'm not the only one who 'misinterpreted', I think it's important to recognize that communication is two-way; the words chosen (plus the context of the one writing them) influence the those who read them in a certain way, often independent of your intent.

DracoL1ch said:
You see, when I disabled those checks, some buffs went crazy a bit, creating issues. I believe they've turned stacking off from the very start and then copypasted ability's code further, intentionally forbiding stacking for good sake. Thing is they've never get to fix those bugs.
Someone mentioned you having experience with deep-level Warcraft code... So you're saying you've manipulated this part of the World Editor such that Buffs could Stack, and it was problematic? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

What do you think would be required to alleviate those issues?

Level 8
Add options in orb effect abilities, to be able to stack with other orb effects in the Object Editor and in the Trigger Editor.
Have new triggers that makes the effect of skill directly, without the need for dummys.

Examples:
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • (Ability being cast) Equal to Mana Burn
  • Actions
    • Unit - Take the effect of the Slow on (Target unit of ability being cast)
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Is attacked
  • Conditions
    • (Attacked unit) has buff Lightning Shield Equal to True
  • Actions
    • Set LightningShieldChance = (Random integer number between 1 and 4)
    • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
      • If - Conditions
        • LightningShieldChance Less than or equal to 1
      • Then - Actions
        • Unit - Take the effect of the Chain Lightning on (Attacking Unit)
      • Else - Actions
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • (Ability being cast) Equal to Area Entangling Roots
  • Actions
  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 200.00 of (Target point of ability being cast)) and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Unit - Take the effect of the Entangling Roots on (Picked unit)

In the Object Editor have different cost options such as gold, wood and variables of Trigger Editor for skills, unit training, etc.

Applying ability effects directly is more complicated than just applying the effect: you need to define ability levels, which player is casting it (if you just cast tranquility, which player unit will it heal?), and probably an attribution factor to a 'source' unit, like Damage Target is done. It'll probably need a lot more parameters than that. If you're gonna do AoE spell, you'll need to define x/y/z coordinates or locations, and what if you want to cast auras for a while? You'll need a time parameter :p

Ofc if you only want 'Take effect' to be single-target abilities then I guess it might only be necessary to have levels and a source to credit for the ability, but why stop there where you can accommodate so much more with a different system? Idk what that system is, but I think 'proxy casters' could be used for that. Proxy are basically dummies, but they don't have all the performance needs of a unit, can cast an unlimited amount of spells at any time, will credit a source for the use of an ability, etc, etc.

Then again, why not both? :D

PS: adding more resource costs to abilities than just mana (eg Health, Gold, Lumber, Food even) would be great.

Level 8
I know the skills are more complex. But if make a system in the Trigger Editor to add effect directly to the skill, I think it is benefit to programmers and GUI users. Because it would save texts and actions, besides I think it's easier to do, and really the source that I use skill made all that effect.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Any plans to add vertex colouring to destructibles and doodads too? (I'm in need of transparency for them right now). Thing is, in the editor, units always face the ground or sky in accord with the terrain beneath them. I can't seem to get them to just stay put, vertically, perpendicular on cliffs near the edge. Facing of units is origin and terrain dependent. It's a bit of a nuisance to test the map every time to see how the destructible/doodad metamophosed unit is placed in reality ingame.

Adding and removing locust 'Aloc' requires a bit more tinkering, but we can actually do this. It would just be nice to have a straightforward way of doing so, but not limited to:
JASS:
native BlzMakeUnitSelectable                takes unit whichUnit, boolean flag returns nothing    // unlike locust this should not automatically make the unit invulnerable.
native BlzShowUnitHealthBar                    takes unit whichUnit, boolean flag returns nothing
native BlzShowUnitManaBar                    takes unit whichUnit, boolean flag returns nothing
native BlzShowUnitSelectionCircle            takes unit whichUnit, boolean flag returns nothing    // disabled the unit's selection circle but it's still selectable.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Wait we can't do that??
LocustUnitEditor.png LocustDisableNo.png LocustRemoveNo.png LocustAddNo.png

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Oh, you mean in GUI. It still won't work, though. To remove locust there's a song and dance about hiding/unhiding the unit becausing hiding a unit breaks locust. Better to have a native to directly enable/disable selection.
I don't just need selection and health/mana bars hidden but also for the unit to be able to pass through other units and other units through it, that's what Locust is.
The sloppy workaround for the ghost walking would be to create a dummy flying unit and replace it afterward with the normal ground one.

Having the ability to toggle collision layers would also be really neat to have:
JASS:
call SetUnitCollisionState(u, COLLISION_TREE, false)            // allows units to walk through trees.
call SetUnitCollisionState(u, COLLISION_DESTRUCTIBLE, false)    // allows units to walk through any destructible, not just trees.
call SetUnitCollisionState(u, COLLISION_UNIT, false)            // allows units to walk through other units depending on their movement type.
call SetUnitCollisionState(u, COLLISION_BUILDING, false)        // allows units to walk through buildings.
call SetUnitCollisionState(u, COLLISION_ITEM, false)            // allows units to walk through items.

I think there are hints that the game should be able to do this, but I'm not sure. Peons and Peasants will cluster when chopping down trees, the Blademaster cannot walk through items during Wind Walk (but can walk through units), etc.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Idk about the Ghost, but units can pass through other units that have Ghost (Visible). All these workarounds should be feasible with triggers, though. It's fine to have these in the object editor but making this exclusive to the OE is not a very good idea.
You are right. Thanks! That might come in handy in temporary situations as the one I'm working on.
Units with Ghost can pass through units with Ghost.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Yes, but you linked it twice?

Also, on-topic: why is it that the Upgrades selection menu (in the Object Editor; not the tab, but when you try to modify a field with an upgrade) doesn't have a selector for "custom" vs. "standard"? Every other selection menu (abilities, units, etc) does, and it helps segregate the two; as it stands, it can be hard to tell (just looking at icons) which kind you are going for.

Level 12
The order for frenzy is missing in the GUI Action Trigger: A Unit is Issued an Order with No Target.

EDIT: what about type of matching item for pick every item without it being a random item? For units it's simple because you can use the condition type of matching unit.
Oh a lot of orders are missing in GUI. One that come off the top of my head (that doesn't even have an order string either) is Wand of Illusion, you need to look up what it's integer is and use jass/custom script.

Level 12
I think abilities like Ensnare and Slow should last less on transport units like Ships and Zeppelins because they can contain troops and destroying them in the right place might mean killing more than 1 unit.
This reminded me, I really hope blizzard will add a way to adjust how effective stuns and other crowd control effects are. Like Tenacity in League of legends, as well as being able to simply make whatever unit you want immune to stuns etc (ideally you could modify what effects, like perhaps immune to stun, but not to sleep, etc.)

For example, if you want to have some kind of Boss unit that won't just get stun-locked or give it some special attack/channel that can't be interrupted (I think it's called Super Armor in fighting games.)

As it is, abilities already have a duration field against units & heroes, so you can kinda do it a bit. (There's that resistant skin or w/e the ability is called to allow units to count as heroes for the CC duration.) The other more realistic (but much more difficult & time consuming) approach is to trigger every single ability...

Another thing, which I can't remember if I already said before or not; being able to make units ignore issued orders. Currently what you have to do is re-issue orders to override any player-issued orders. Which means that the player(s) can just spam click and the unit(s) will get stuck because of being issued conflicting orders over and over again.

They fixed this in SC2, so hopefully they can do it for wc3 as well.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Another thing, which I can't remember if I already said before or not; being able to make units ignore issued orders. Currently what you have to do is re-issue orders to override any player-issued orders. Which means that the player(s) can just spam click and the unit(s) will get stuck because of being issued conflicting orders over and over again.
There's a unit action, in the latest patch, called interrupt attack but I'm not sure what it actually does. Try it.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Is there a way to play the same sound without it waiting to finish if set as a different variable? If not, please add the option for it. I'm playing the sound (as different variables) at different locations too.

Level 12
It would be nice if the Berserk ability (Orc - Headhunter morph/berserker upgrade unit) was fixed.

There's no %dmg reduction abilities besides the pierce, spell, and magic ones (defend, elune's grace, spell resistance, and such.) The only which can block any damage is Hardened Skin, but it only work against auto attacks and it's a specific number rather than a percentage.

However, Berserk actually has the ability to increase the damage a unit takes by a %, so I had the idea to simply use Berserk with a negative value to make a temporary damage reduction ability instead. But for some reason will any negative value (even -0.01) make the unit take 0 damage, maybe it even heals? I don't remember exactly...

Anyway, while it's quite simple to use a DDS these days so it's not really needed, it would be nice... Maybe some new abilities could be added with %dmg reduction/increase as well.

Level 12
A fairly small thing, but afaik you can't set the minimum number of the barrage passive ability (used for multishot/splitshot) to less than 3, so it goes from 1 target (without barrage) to 3 targets (with barrage at minimum number of extra targets) instead of 1, 2, 3, etc.

And speaking of barrage, it gets overridden by pretty much every orb effect and buff placer or w/e it's called again, except for searing arrows (iirc)—which reminded me of orb effects not stacking in general. It would be nice to be able to have orb effects stack (optionally), and buff placers like crit, poison, stun as well.

Also... Lightning Orb & Slow Orb don't cast spells unless you order the unit to attack or attack move, so if the unit was just idling before acquiring a target; it will never proc lightning orb/slow orb's effect.

Below information is copied from warcraft 3 ability guide: The Warcraft III Ability Guide - Wc3C.net

AIdf, AIll, AIsb (Black Arrow Attack Bonus, New Lightning Orb, Slowness Orb): These orb abilities all have the effect ability field, which lets you specify any unit targeted ability as effect ability. This means that the ability will automatically be cast on the target of an attack depending on a certain chance that can be specified. If the chance is set to 100 it will be cast for each attack that doesn't miss the target. If one of these abilities is added as unit ability, the effect ability will automatically appear as a passive ability on the unit's command card. Unfortunately you can't get rid of the icon. The only way to have no icon is using an invisible channel spell as effect ability, but this will only allow you to add a visual effect to the attacks but not real ability effect. The index of the enabled attack should be set to 0 if you don't want to enable ranged attacks for melee units. Due to a bug the ability won't be cast when the target was automatically acquired by the unit, even if the chance is 100 percent. Orbs are generally pretty useful to attach effects, change the missiles of units and to enable attacks. While we're at arrow abilities, 'ANia' (Incinerate Arrow) always uses the default values of 'Anic' (Incinerate), no matter how you try to change them, so it's only possible to have on ability of that type in a map.

Aroc (Barrage): Barrage allows unit to attack several targets with one attack and therefore it can be used for multishot abilities. The bonus damage field must be set to at least 1, because 0 will cause serious problems. Each target will be dealt the normal damage of the unit's attack and the amount of bonus damage specified here. The number of targets is 1 plus the maximum number of targets field of barrage. The projectile art field can have more than 1 entry and will override the default projectile of the unit. The art for each shot will be chosen at random from this list. The area of effect is the range for the additional attacks. This doesn't affect the main attack, only the extra attacks granted by barrage. Also set the maximum possible damage field to 0 if you don't want to limit the damage dealt. Unfortunately combining barrage with other attack enhancing abilities is pretty difficult. Many of them will completely eliminate the effect of barrage like all arrow abilities on autocast except AHfa (Searing Arrows) and many orb abilities. Orb abilities that do have an effect ability field only disable barrage when this effect ability comes into action. All other abilities like critical strike slow poison, freezing breath, lightning attack, liquid fire and similar spells pretty much work with barrage but will always only affect the main target and never the additional barrage targets. Basic enhancements like damage bonus, attack speed bonus and the like however will affect all targets. The AHfa (Searing Arrows) spell is very special. It's the only arrow ability that works with barrage and it even reenables barrage on autocast if it was disabled by an incompatible orb ability allowing to create an autocastable multishot ability.

Level 12
A small thing - it'd be quite helpful if there was a possibility to set the aura buff duration time to any time instead of it always being 4 seconds.
Oh right, you mean the update time/tick rate or whatever it's called, right?

I recall reading about how Dota got around the problem with auras with periodic event and checking whether units are out of range. It would be nice if auras just updated more frequently, or if you could change it like with Immolation.

Which reminds me, that's another workaround; To use dummy permanent immolations and add the buff/debuffs with triggers. Oh right it's even used for hit detection in some missile system...

Anyway, so being able to change the interval/update rate/whatever would be really nice as all kinds of uses of immolation has already proven.

Level 8
I think this list needs to be updated because it has new viable suggestions: new Additions, Fundamental (the name is not correct) and little effort I think.

Does this make it possible to have new custom races in melee games?

That's the entire point. It would be slightly technical, but as long as they add this behavior to the game, it would become actually possible. You could also potentially play any custom races against each other, by checking the boxes for their respective mods, so long as a few standards were set by the modding community to ensure interoperability. Specifically, the map or the Mods, whichever JASS file was loaded first, would need to provide a function that the one loaded secondly could call to register itself. So, the map might offer a "RegisterCustomRace" function if it was loaded first. This would ensure the Mod could inform the map which units to create, or what function to call, for players using that race on startup.

Edit: Likewise, you could have a hero arena map with 10 Hero Arena Mods that added differing possible new heroes. In that case, each mod would probably call "RegisterArenaHero", a function from the base map, to inform the map of the mod's added heroes and their Unit IDs. That's why the GetGlobalRawcodeId native would exist, to allow the mod to covert Unit IDs local to the mod code into Map "global" Unit IDs that only existed while the game was running, and included IDs from all loaded mods

Last edited:
Level 30
One general Question: Does Blizzard Entertainment really look at this Specific thread? Do they actually take the users wishes in consideration?
Seeing Reteras Comment (i have a similar wish) i really hope that they do.

I know that this sounds pessimistic, but i don't see any indicator that they do keep an eye at this specific thread.

If i am mistaken, then please correct me there.

Level 8
The topic post is abandoned, some authority and collaborator should replace the current creator of the topic, analyze, take decisions, etc in the topic post.

Last edited:
That's the entire point. It would be slightly technical, but as long as they add this behavior to the game, it would become actually possible. You could also potentially play any custom races against each other, by checking the boxes for their respective mods, so long as a few standards were set by the modding community to ensure interoperability. Specifically, the map or the Mods, whichever JASS file was loaded first, would need to provide a function that the one loaded secondly could call to register itself. So, the map might offer a "RegisterCustomRace" function if it was loaded first. This would ensure the Mod could inform the map which units to create, or what function to call, for players using that race on startup.

Edit: Likewise, you could have a hero arena map with 10 Hero Arena Mods that added differing possible new heroes. In that case, each mod would probably call "RegisterArenaHero", a function from the base map, to inform the map of the mod's added heroes and their Unit IDs. That's why the GetGlobalRawcodeId native would exist, to allow the mod to covert Unit IDs local to the mod code into Map "global" Unit IDs that only existed while the game was running, and included IDs from all loaded mods

The Mods is a very good initiative, which Blizzard should consider. It should support at least the following use cases:
  1. Adding a whole custom race to melee games
  2. Adding a new hero to hero arenas
  3. Adding a new tavern hero to melee games
  4. Adding a new hero to existing melee races
  5. Adding a new unit, building, item, or upgrade to existing melee races
  6. Change the content of neutral buildings in melee games, such as tavern heroes, shop items, and mercenaries
  7. Change existing melee races
So, it would be good for mods to support large use cases, such as whole races, but also very small use cases, such as adding a single hero or a single unit to existing races.

Do people have other use cases for Mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.