1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 patch wish list

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Ezekiel12, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Windows 10 is free. Windows 7 is cheap af, 20 dollars, maybe there are cheaper ones but where I looked it was 20 dollars.
    Not to mention the fact that any OS for free through other methods.

edit: windows 8.1 seemed to be slightly more expensive 23 dollars-ish
    I don't get why anyone would willingly get windows 8 but I throw it out there anyway, not being able to afford an OS is BS in any non-Nigeria country.

2. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    guess what, if I have 20 bucks for nothing I won't buy new OS anyway. stop the fucking solicitation here. I don't want to upgrade. Many of us won't do that. We aren't propagand anyone to do same. We aren't asking Blizz to stop upgrading graphics either. It's completely up to the company.

3. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This isn't double post since now Im refers to the actual topic.

Memory scanning shown, that every object's data laying in the straight array in the memory. So, 'h000' -> 'h001' -> etc etc. Its really easy to get any (ANY) data by unit's ID. There are no reason why this should be forbidden.
    With setting, though, there are troubles. Memory already allocated and cannot be changed. Any changes should lay within the same lenght. I can change unit's model only for the same lenght or shorter, using null byte. Thanks god for 4 bytes data allocating for integers, though, Im not sure about how to handle reals there.

Overall, with given output:
    pretty much possible only for short pathes. Since it's a must have restriction, they would barely be interested with that.

Oh, and regarding
    why is it undecided? Turnd out that there are no internal timers or anything for cooldowns. Instead it timestamps, which shows whenever the ability will become operable. That means cooldown manipuations are possible and restrictions are obsolete - there are literally nothing to defend it.

4. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Make Warcraft 3's World Editor preloads everything from the start,so that clicking on the editors will cause no lag at all.

5. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If you don't want to upgrade (or anyone else) that's fine, just don't give BS reasons. (in this case it was the money)

Windows XP is no longer supported and wont get updated which means it gets more and more insecure as time goes on.
    Newer games requires you to have windows 7 anyway so you'll have to upgrade sooner or later anyway.
    Which means most move on to windows 7. And from windows 7 you get a free upgrade to windows 10.

So yeah, seems pretty silly to say that tons of people still use XP. And more importantly, to say that it should not be improved because of it.

6. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The GPU requirements are raised massively beyond that of what Windows 7 needs to run as a result of advanced shader features.

The main issue is that raising the system requirements invalidates every boxed copy of the game's system requirements (some USA person will sue, like they did with Diablo III and its "competitive multiplayer" lie) and can potentially alienate most players from developing countries which do not have good computers (most of the Chinese players).

No it is not. It still needs a licence. You can get one for free if you have Windows 7/8 however that licence is only for the motherboard you are using.

This makes no sense. It would mean that type ids would be subject to memory collisions due to requiring resereved addresses. It would also mean "'h000' -> 'h001'" is impossible as there is no place to put the data.

The reason it is not possible is because it was not really deemed a required feature.

It is kind of obvious that time stamps are used, as there is no other way of implementing such a thing.

Why the feature does not exist is again down to it not being deemed necessary during development.

StarCraft II has both features, with catalog natives to manipulate data and natives to alter ability cooldowns and charges.

Still does not stop people from using it, especially if they are poor. They are using pirated versions often anyway.

Windows 7 has higher system requirements than XP so will not run on some hardware. Windows 10 even more so with it not supporting old processors at all (I think anything P4 and earlier does not work).

Only if they have been able to afford a new PC in the last 6 years odd. The free Windows 10 offer expires in June.

XP is not the main reason the graphics cannot be improved. It is the fact that it costs a ton of money to do so and that the sort of people who play Warcraft III, the ones with budget/low performance GPUs, only do so because of its low requirements.

A lot of what people are asking for is already in StarCraft II. Instead of trying to turn Warcraft III into WarStarcraft III, it would be far better to fix bugs and other quality of life issues. For example fixing up the GUI actions which cause instant crashes on selection.

7. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    it's plain unit's data, not unit's objects. every unit list there.
    'h000' [tons of data from slk/txts] [link onto the 'h001'] 'h001' [...]

and we aren't speaking of deemed or not, we here to suggest wishes for the company. if they won't do even that simple tasks, its worthless at all.

8. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    What do you mean by "a must have restriction"?

Blizzard controls the format in which units are stored. If they really wanted to, they could change it. For example, in your case they could make it a fixed length string and just pad it (e.g. 256 chars). They already do that with some of the MDX chunks, so I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to do it here.

9. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've been talking about "they won't change old stuff for our purposes", surely everything could be adapted, if you want to. do they?

10. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The problem is not so much "can they" but "will they". WC3 is only so buggy at the moment because they did not allocate resources to maintain it in the past.

It is one thing justifying fixing bugs to management because that is part of quality assurance. It is another trying to justify adding new features because that falls under development. Management will always prefer to develop new features for new content because it has a lot better returns than for old existing content.

The only reason they are fixing compatibility and melee balance is because of the tournaments in China which still have value to them. They can justify melee balance development because it can get good returns from the tournaments. They cannot justify new WorldEdit or Warcraft III features as those will give them no real return for their investment.

Trying to justify fixing the "local keyword declared local handle variable reference counter leak on return" bug is a lot easier than trying to justify adding "modern shader pipelines" or "HD models" or "the ability to modify object entries with triggers". Where as the fix quality assurance can mark the issue as solved, improving the over all quality of Warcraft III, the others can always be argued "Why not spend these resources on StarCraft II adding new features for mappers and Heroes of the Storm instead?".

11. KOYK GR

KOYK GR

Resources:
    Resources:
    First of all if they cant meet the requirements they are probably not gamers.i dont believe this is a reason not update the game (gfx) and rise the requirements. they cant alienate some one that is already alienated from to days tech. with your reasoning we dont need a patch at all.by they way did you think about the "Options" button? the one that lives in the game menu? if you dont like the massive requirements you could turn them OFF,did you think about that? bro you acting like we talking about how to steal your lollipop,no offence mate but come on. "alienate" ? really? if they cant they are so poor i doubt they have internet connection to start with or even a legit copy of the game. move to starcraft 2? well thats expensive.i mean if we think like that then fuck it! Companies like GOG should close up if they start thinking like you. The Gaming industry is growing up,we must too and along with it.

12. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    :ain:

13. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Most games are played on phones now, which in theory could run WC3 but certainly not anything better.

It violates the contract they made with the user. You cannot say "you need X" but then change it to "you need Y" just because you feel like it. Imagine if they did that with Warcraft III where back during the Xbox360/PS3 period they decided to dump all x86 support in favour of the PowerPC like instructions for consoles making the game unplayable on any PC.

They can because a lot of the players of WC3 are playing it on second hand computers using technology from yester year. That is why they are not playing StarCraft II as despite its comparatively low system requirements today it is still too high for them.

We do, to fix issues like "local keyword declared local handle variable reference counter leak on return bug" and to re-enable ambient sound on Mac as well as add wide-screen support. All of them massive quality improvements.

Except it is not that simple. In order to support a modern shader pipeline you would have to change the entire graphics API from the fixed shader pipelines from D3D7 technology to the programmable ones of D3D8 and 9. If you were to change to D3D10/11 that would need yet another set of API calls with complete changes to the render code. Using D3D12 would need even more changes as now everything is done at a low level for faster and fewer API calls.

Each of which to implement is a massive amount of code work, needs maintenance, can be subject to unique bugs, and cannot all be supported at once as one cannot static link to higher APIs on older systems without it throwing a DLL not found exception.

Um what? So by pointing out that what people are saying is not at all viable suddenly I have lost something?

Yes that is what happens if you change system requirements. The Wii emulator "Dolphin" as well as PS2 emulator "PCSX2" suffered from this a lot as they often raised the requirements in order to boost performance. Many of their old builds worked on really ancient systems but since they now use SSE2 or even newer they only work on fairly recent systems. The justification for this was that the emulation would never perform well on such systems anyway however it did fill their boards with complaints from the odd person who played at 50% speed. Oh and a simple compiler switch would not suffice as the JIT recompiles have to output native machine code and they are often where the instructions are most needed.

As it is the last patch secretly raised WC3's requirements so that it needs D3D9 and a modern version of MSVC++ runtime distributable. At least a few people ran into issues with this.

They are much more likely to have internet than a good computer as you do not need a good computer to use the internet and the internet is far more useful. Additionally most of the WC3 community are pirates so unless you want to kill off the majority of the player base...

Why else do you think non-battlenet methods of hosting are so popular? So that all the pirates can play multiplayer of course. One of the reasons why the game has had so little support in the past is that unlike BattleNet 2.0 games, it can be pirated and played multiplayer very easily.

Do note I do own a genuine copy of the game. Just that many of the people who use this site and you meet in bot games do not. Piracy is wrong and I still tell them to buy the game.

Yes free is so expensive. All StarCraft II arcade can be accessed for free. You only need to own a licence to use the editor, the campaign or to play melee and other features like allied commander mode.

If you have the computer to run a visually improved version of WC3, then you obviously can run StarCraft II. So it is not any more expensive. It also offers you everything you need/want. As such there is no need to raise the system requirements of Warcraft III when you can just use the already higher StarCraft II to do what you want.

GOG does not modify games at all... It fixes them to be playable and removes protection schemes and that is it. Many former employees complained that some new features or fixes could be easily made but they were not allowed to because they want only the minimum amount of work done.

Yes, PC games are dead and even consoles are in decline. It is time we throw our PCs away and get a new, dumbed down freemium Warcraft III phone/tablet app to use on the go with inbuilt twitter and facebook integration and pay2win model.

PC games are already a "dinosaur" in the modern gaming industry. If people were to adopt your idea of "growing up" that would quite literally mean to throw away what we already have.

14. Paillan

Paillan

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    guys, why so much hate here? I see that this thread has become a "Want HD warcraft 3" vs "Don't want HD warcraft 3" fight.
    The purpose of this thread is to discuss realistic ideas and also dream ideas. It's not that you can't say "I want warcraft 3 in HD!", it's that you don't have to freak out if we calmly say "Sorry buddy, not likely to happen". You have your dreams, we have our reasons, but in the end we are all members of the same small dying community. We should get along.

15. KOYK GR

KOYK GR

Resources:
    Resources:
    well you are right,i will rise my white flag.

For now...:ogre_datass: nah i'm kidding.lets focus on ideas and dreams.

16. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thread is too long for me to check, but I would love multi-monitor support for the World Editor. It is quite frustrating to always keep the Trigger Editor & Object Editor on my primary monitor since any "right-click window" that open from these windows open on the primary monitor regardless of which monitor it is actually on.

17. Kazeon

Kazeon

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I wonder is THW still giving suggestions for further patches? I have some new suggestions.

18. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    An error message every time a thread crashes informing that a thread has crashed and the reason why. Could help more quickly resolve some trigger errors.

19. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Yes! Feel free to post them here or make a new thread if you want to start an actual discussion.

20. Kazeon

Kazeon

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Awexome!
    No, I will post here instead:
    - A native to get unit's current move path length/distance (from unit's position or starting point: point where the unit is ordered to move, to the target point) when it's moving.
    - A native to queue orders on units.

I thought I have many more :v