• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[vJass] (System) CustomInventory

By far the biggest inventory system for Warcraft 3.
It's designed to have optional features, like FullScreenInventory-UI.

With a little bit of modification you can use this Inventory System in the normal Warcraft 3 Inventory too.

It is written in vJASS and has the following features:
- 12 Slot Equipment
- MPI
- Very flexible
- Easy to add bonuses to items
- Item Stacking
- Item Forging
- Item Sets (With bonuses)
- Inventory fixes warcraft 3 bugs (Double pickup bug)
- Fast
- Gives the ability to add your own areas with a little bit of code

A small note on the classes:

##############################################################################
# USER INTERFACE - CUSTOM WINDOW
---------------
CWDestructable
---------------
It's an object that has an destructable for a local player.
(Such as icons, borders and more)

---------------
CWTrackable
---------------
This is basically an object that triggers player events for hovering the icons (CWDestructable).
Whenever an event occurs, it fires an action to the CustomWindow

---------------
CustomWindow
---------------
A collection of CWTrackable and CWDestructable. Every destructable will have an trackable object.
So whenever you hover over or click a trackable, this will be fired.
You will use this object to create hooks to the inventory system.

# CUSTOM WINDOW - HOOK AND EXTENDING

---------------
CIAll
---------------
This is a container object of items. It has conditions for pickup and drop and is the base
class for any container, like Slots, Potions, Equipment or even spell slots that you could create!
It has a variety of methods like adding, removing and checks and throws errors.

---------------
CIActions
---------------
This is a library which only use is to find out what the user wants to do. It supports up to 5
different steps which can be done in a row so if you need to build up something complicated here you go.
This action decides when to move, drop, pick and destroy items. It's bound to CIWindow and uses its
events to trigger / delegate events to the CISlots/CIEquips/CIPotions objects.

---------------
CIContent
---------------
This is a little help class for the CIActions object which puts a wrapper around the Equipment,
Potions and Slots. It will also update the camera.

---------------
CIWindow
---------------
This is the hook between CustomWindow, CIActions and the CustomInventory. It also provides
fake units to provide the Interface Functionality and delegates events to CIActions.

---------------
CISlots / CIEquips / CIPotions
---------------
The containers you see (Top left, top right and bottom left) are basically these objects.
They have special / unique conditions for pickup / drop and handle when to add or remove bonuses from the hero.

# CUSTOM INVENTORY - CORE

---------------
CIForging
---------------
This module forges items. You can combine any items and merge them to a bigger item. This will
always happen when your inventory updates.

---------------
CIStacking
---------------
You like items that can stack in your Inventory? Well this module is for you!
Create stackable items and make a maximum conditions. Item stacking is automatic, whenever
inventory updates.

---------------
CISet
---------------
Don't we all love this thing from World of Warcraft? Collecting items of a special set and
then get some bonus stuff once we have all of them. If you are cool, use this feature. It
even supports SET STACKING!

---------------
CIAttachment
---------------
Not done yet.

---------------
CIBonus
---------------
This is the hook between items and the unit state modifier library. You can use this module
to add and remove bonuses to the hero on the fly whenever needed.

---------------
CIError
---------------
Throw errors to the user whenever something bad happens.

---------------
CIEventHandler
---------------
Like every other Inventory system, we need some kind of hook for pickup/drop actions to
connect them with our CustomInventory. This will trigger the CustomInventory events.

---------------
CIEvents
---------------
Name may not be completely self-speaking, but this actually triggers the events on the item.
But only when the unit really has the item. (Safety layer)

---------------
CIItemDrop
---------------
This will allow pickup/drop actions of the items WITHOUT triggering the inventory events.
It will be required for many things so this module is a life safer!

---------------
CIItemInfo
---------------
Wouldn't it be cool if items could display what they are in a multiboard. Yes it would.
This module is exactly for that.

---------------
CIItemBoard
---------------
Yes, this is the multiboard which displays all the item statistics. It uses hooks to get
the attached events from the CUstomWindow.

---------------
CIItemProtection
---------------
Every item has states, like locked, owend, equiped and such. This module gives the ability
to change the states and make them available.

---------------
CIItemDest
---------------
Simple module for setting the destructable (icon) for the CustomWindow.

---------------
CIItemSeek
---------------
Module which is build to search and collect information about the inventory.
Find out how many items of which type you have that are not stacked, find out how many duplicated
items you have and even if you have errors in your inventory indexing.

---------------
CIItemSlot
---------------
Small module that adds classes to the items. You can only equip items with the right class
on the right positions.

---------------
CIItemEffect
---------------
This module allows to attach effects to an item wearer. Do whatever you want, but keep in mind
that one item has a maximum of 3 effects.

---------------
CIPowerup
---------------
Not done yet.

---------------
CISetup
---------------
Changes the area around the inventory to be black and create the UI for all players.

---------------
CustomItem
---------------
The item object itself. Will trigger and get triggered from all kind of sources.
Modules are completing the collection of members and methods.

---------------
CustomInventory
---------------
The main object. It forges, stacks, creates sets, triggers events, gets triggered and uses
optional modules to provide the full repository of features to the user.

-Fixed a bug found by Dr. Boom:
Dead units were able to change the inventory and caused bugs.
-Also added a little bit of documentation.

Keywords:
CustomInventory, Inventory, Custom, Anachron, FullScreen, Module, vJass, Stack, Forge, Combine, Set, Powerup, Drop, Equip, Equipment, Equip, System
Contents

CustomInventory - 0.2.2.6 (Map)

Reviews
18:27, 18th Feb 2010 The_Reborn_Devil: Ohsh- That describes pretty much what I'm thinking. My eyes were sore even before I was done reviewing half of the code. The code looks really good and I couldn't find just one little thing that would be...
Level 12
Ugh, i'm going to use this for ma map =) Remmember the projectiles? I'm gonna need to use item parameters. Is there any custom item proprieties feature in this system?

Like: Mahjorn Bow allows you cast your Attack ability (i suppose you know what i mean) with range equal to 2500 and damage = 150. Such parameters would be used in your projectile system xD.

Last edited:
ew, it's abit complicated, could you please make some small examples? (if you have spare time)
What is complicated? You just have one function that takes item theItem, unit theUnit and that returns a boolean.

You can have any conditions you want.

just epic :D
Thanks.

Like: Mahjorn Bow allows you cast your Attack ability (i suppose you know what i mean) with range equal to 2500 and damage = 150. Such parameters would be used in your projectile system xD.
I don't get it. However, you can add anything to the CustomItem inside the library CIItemInfo.

How to make tigger selects doodads ? Please!!!
It automatically does that when you click. Or I don't get what you are asking for.

Level 12
I don't get it. However, you can add anything to the CustomItem inside the library CIItemInfo.

The spell will use item informations for it's things. those range and damage values will be stored inside the item and used in the spell. dat would be naiz. The spell trigger will remain unchanged while gathering information from the "weapon item" for it's stuff. o_O

The spell will use item informations for it's things. those range and damage values will be stored inside the item and used in the spell. dat would be naiz. The spell trigger will remain unchanged while gathering information from the "weapon item" for it's stuff. o_O
Well you can add any information about the item into the CIItemInfo and you can read any information as well.

Just add a new member and a new textmacro call.

You can get this easily with
JASS:
itemistance.Value

You can remove the whole UI stuff and use it for the default inventory, I think that would fit best to your map.

Level 7
Well, i am just confused because there is no readme or at least some examples. The "Test" trigger just gives us information about registering an item.
Could you please add some more example. I don't know how to check if a unit is equiping a specific item or prevent a Hero from equiping some items.

Anyway, very nice system, i've been looking for something like this =)
Keep up your good job !

Level 12
this system needs to clean up its code and better documentation! xD it requires its own modules (since it ask for outer functions) and what sould be optional is now mandatory. CustomItems for example requires BonusMod and MovementBonus. the documentation also does not teach how to use it.

Ah yes,... I don't know how I should handle it.
Should you be able to attach one attachment per item or endless?
If endless [1:n] it'll be unmakeable that you can access to the effects,
if you have one you will be able to change it during equipping but it won't be great for everyone, f.e. an item that is a shield and weapon would not work.

Level 14
imo attaching multiple effects with one item would be a useful feature (like shoulderpads item or armor that has different model parts), but some 10 would be more than enough. no need to have it work with infinite number of attachments, i think.

Level 5
On the matter of the attachment add-on, I would be perfectly fine if you can only configure it for 1 attachment because one is always better than none. An infinite number of attachments would be a little ridiculous. I think that a fair amount would be 1-3.

About the attachment system:
It can either be infinitive or one, a limited one sucks.
I think I'll go for the one attachment stuff.

About the save/load:
I don't think it's hard actually. If you know vJass and check CustomInventory library you see a useful function to get any item of an hero.
(inv.getItem(i))

CustomItem can get an item handle of an CustomItem, by
(item.getHandle())

Sorry, but as already told, you need vJass skills in order to use it. I may implement a save/load module but it's not top priority.

Level 1
Hello author,

I just take a brief look at your inventory system, of course it's amazing.

however I wonderhow can I make my Load/Save code corresponding to your system, it seems like there aren't enough explanations or descriptive things in your demonstration.

Hey,
well if you understand vJass you will easily be able to get the itemobjects of the inventory of a unit.

JASS:
private function loadItems takes unit theUnit returns nothing
    // Load the inventory
    local CustomInventory inv = CustomInventory.load(GetHandleId(theUnit))
    // Load the item object
    local CustomItem it1 = inv.getItem(0)
    // Get the itemhandle
    local item i1 = it1.getHandle()

// Print the itemname for testing purposes.
    call BJDebugMsg(GetItemName(i1))
endfunction