• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ujimasa Hojo's Resources Discussion

Level 38
You really like the stormreaver that much eh? I love it, please keep up the great work, I also agree that you can try creating your own thread!
Well, yes and know. I really enjoy making their units, but in the first place, when I looking on that smae looking units in original wc3 campaigns and maps, I am estetically dissatisfied from it. Same units, just with other grafic colours. Its just sucks, really, I am that type of person that can without problem sitting at computer even DAYS, just to choose other models for units in campaigns or maps.

Level 28
Well, yes and know. I really enjoy making their units, but in the first place, when I looking on that smae looking units in original wc3 campaigns and maps, I am estetically dissatisfied from it. Same units, just with other grafic colours. Its just sucks, really, I am that type of person that can without problem sitting at computer even DAYS, just to choose other models for units in campaigns or maps.
eyyy same too, i guess that's what a pandemic does to you :D

Level 38
lol you've literally made an orc version of the necromancer and acolyte X'D
I mean... Yeaa, but that is something different. When I imagine orcish caster, I imagine two types of appearance - one is muscular half warrior, for example such shaman and warlock are ideally, and other is just twig in clothes, thin green guy, that have maximally some armor to look bigger or more majestic. Talon is something between it, I do not know, I have time to do it, I like make orcish units, damn, look at what I have in my thread, maybe I will make it, but now I have other plans.

Level 28
Hey sir Ujimasa, just a little suggestion, knowing that you will use some other resources from other fellow hive members, I think you can use these two satyr skins for the Emerald Nightmare faction. Using just the same light violet variant's texture is a bit repetitive, maybe it's just me but you might as well use the other brown texture variant

Level 60
Hey sir Ujimasa, just a little suggestion, knowing that you will use some other resources from other fellow hive members, I think you can use these two satyr skins for the Emerald Nightmare faction. Using just the same light violet variant's texture is a bit repetitive, maybe it's just me but you might as well use the other brown texture variant
I use the in-game textures as much as possible because they can then be easily swapped with other custom textures.

EDIT: Does anyone know a good texturer? I need some to make a coral-esque version of the tree of life texture because I eventually want to make something akin to the coral ancients:

The challenge is to see if they wrap perfectly with Spring versions of the Tree of Life, Ancient of War, and the Ancient of Lore.

Attachments

• TreeofLife.jpg
    TreeofLife.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Level 11
Hello, I just found your Myrmidon models and I saw a pic of a pit lord version that is not downloadable, may I ask where can I find it and do you plan on making a red variant?

Level 28
I use the in-game textures as much as possible because they can then be easily swapped with other custom textures.

EDIT: Does anyone know a good texturer? I need some to make a coral-esque version of the tree of life texture because I eventually want to make something akin to the coral ancients:

The challenge is to see if they wrap perfectly with Spring versions of the Tree of Life, Ancient of War, and the Ancient of Lore.
I think I can try if it means helping you finishing this project faster

So what we need to do is to retex the Tree's texture into the coral-esque version that you displayed here, right?

Level 60
I think I can try if it means helping you finishing this project faster

So what we need to do is to retex the Tree's texture into the coral-esque version that you displayed here, right?
Yes.

I think the best base texture is the Tree of Life's. That way, the custom texture can easily be swapped over the Spring Set.

Level 28
Yes.

I think the best base texture is the Tree of Life's. That way, the custom texture can easily be swapped over the Spring Set.
I hope you don't mind me taking on this task then, I could take a long time lol

What better thing to do while awaiting for internship

EDIT: I think I need a tutorial for texturing, for the team colour part, anyone got a good link?

Last edited:
Level 60
I hope you don't mind me taking on this task then, I could take a long time lol

What better thing to do while awaiting for internship

EDIT: I think I need a tutorial for texturing, for the team colour part, anyone got a good link?
You need to use a tool that can either edit .blp or .tga files. Back then, PAINT.net was a good one because somebody made an extension which allows you to edit .blp files directly. Unfortunately, it no longer works. Even so, you can still extract in-game textures as .tga files with the MagosEditor. When you open the .tga file in PAINT.net, you will notice that team colored portions are "transparent".

Level 28
You need to use a tool that can either edit .blp or .tga files. Back then, PAINT.net was a good one because somebody made an extension which allows you to edit .blp files directly. Unfortunately, it no longer works. Even so, you can still extract in-game textures as .tga files with the MagosEditor. When you open the .tga file in PAINT.net, you will notice that team colored portions are "transparent".
I am planning to use Photoshop, but yeah it's the team colored portions that concerns me, I opened the tga file with Photoshop and the team colored portions are black color instead

Level 9
I am planning to use Photoshop, but yeah it's the team colored portions that concerns me, I opened the tga file with Photoshop and the team colored portions are black color instead
I think you can show the red team color on the paths tab if I recall correctly

my mistake, it should be on the channels tab beside layers, you'll want to click alpha to show the tc

1630482450358.png

Level 28
I think you can show the red team color on the paths tab if I recall correctly

my mistake, it should be on the channels tab beside layers, you'll want to click alpha to show the tc

View attachment 386293
So those red spots are tc? So do I just draw over it then?

And if I wanted to move the tc, do I color the parts I wanted to have tc in the Alpha layer?

Attachments

• image_2021-09-01_174722.png
    image_2021-09-01_174722.png
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 42
Level 9
So those red spots are tc? So do I just draw over it then?

And if I wanted to move the tc, do I color the parts I wanted to have tc in the Alpha layer?
Im not sure how to properly explain it but the red spots by the leaves would be transparent areas on the model because of some material setting on the model itself. You have to reference the areas on the model that would actually have tc on em

Level 28
Im not sure how to properly explain it but the red spots by the leaves would be transparent areas on the model because of some material setting on the model itself. You have to reference the areas on the model that would actually have tc on em
I think that's helpful, thanks a lot :D

EDIT: Sorry, I think I won't be doing this task atm, I'm gonna be busy in the following week

Last edited:
Level 28
Hey @Ujimasa Hojo , I finally began working on the Coral-eqsue Tree of Life like you asked(Great job me for delaying it 2 months whole), wanted to ask if you already had someone else working that for you or not? If not, I will continue mine. I might as well show you my process first

I will finish it part by part, so it might take a few days to finish this(And I'm still trying to understand the wrapping around the model itself)

1634448403685.png

Level 28
Sorry for double posting, but just thought I should update you

Apparently I have so much time today that I finished texturing it, but there's one issue(at least to me), the texture seems a little too flat... maybe because I removed the leaves behind the ancient(I tried coral but they just looked horrendous). At this point I'm not even sure if this is good enough to be used by you or not 😅

So I thought maybe you can do a separate model file for the coral version of tree of life? Using actual corals in the Coral Bed model for the back if you want to

1634475139649.png
1634475159067.png

1634475262036.png

Level 17
I have a question about cannon tower (see here Tower (Human) and Derivatives )

They do not face their guns correctly at their target upon attacking (always instead face 270 degrees, i.e. 'south'); while during 'rest' their cannon-turrets rotate back to deafalut 'south-east'.

Is there any easy way to fix that, within unit editor perhaps? I think this isn't the model's fault...

Attachments

• 1635362164366.png
    1635362164366.png
    527.5 KB · Views: 53
@Ujimasa Hojo I happened to be looking at this bundle: Warlock (Stormreaver) and Derivatives

And I noticed that the human blademaster variant within this bundle (which seems to have uploaded named "Ujimasa Hojo") has fallen victim to a bug in Retera Model Studio that has existed for many, many years (and also in my prior software called Matrix Eater).

For years I told people that opening a model and saving it again in my software would usually fix the "model parts sticking to other models" bug. This is because I do not preserve the GeosetId and GeosetAnimId metadata on bones, and instead I regenerate this information every time we save a model. I do this because I determined that for all I could tell, the original War3ArtTools used to create the original Blizzard MDX art assets also automatically generated this information, so it would be a waste of the time of our community for artists to need to decide this information on their own.

However, in the one case of the Blademaster -- and I think I have not seen any other model like this -- there is an "intentionally corrupted" entry in one of the GeosetId/GeosetAnimId values that basically gets lost by resaving with Retera Model Studio and all the other MDX software that I have ever written with my same libraries. This causes the ribbon effect on the Blademaster sword to show only and specifically during the Blademaster "Dissipate" animation, even though on the original classic model it does not show.

So, I was seeing that your model has this bug. You can reformat the model to something that Retera Model Studio can open and save fine by changing the ribbon emitter on the Blademaster sword to have a 0 visibility value during the dissipate animation (meaning "don't show"). Obviously if you're interested you can analyze the original blademaster and how it does not have that visibility setting -- so in theory its ribbon emitter should show during its dissipate animation -- but then in reality ingame it does not show. The reason is because of these GeosetAnimId/GeosetId meta datas. Blizzard basically attaches the classic Blademaster ribbon to a bone, and then corrupted the bone so it would normally do that thing where it would stretch out and attach to nearby models, but apparently the behavior on ribbons instead of stretching like that is to disappear, and so it causes the original blizzard Blademaster model's ribbon to mysteriously disappear during that animation (which despite not having 0 visibility keyframe is presumably the author intention, since I doubt the ribbon is intended to show during dissipate).
Or at least that was my intuition/conclusion when I investigated the problem many years ago. Maybe I am mis-remembering, but as I recall this was the general idea of the problem.

For the above described reasons, I never felt called to fix this, because it seems that I would need to change my GeosetId/GeosetAnimId meta data generator to generate using some intentionally corrupted output in certain circumstances that I didn't bother to work out.

Just figured I'd mention this in case you feel like modifying it to fix the problem. The issue may also apply to other Blademaster derivative works that you open and save with my software. Happy modding!

Last edited:
Level 60
@Ujimasa Hojo I happened to be looking at this bundle: Warlock (Stormreaver) and Derivatives

And I noticed that the human blademaster variant within this bundle (which seems to have uploaded named "Ujimasa Hojo") has fallen victim to a bug in Retera Model Studio that has existed for many, many years (and also in my prior software called Matrix Eater).

For years I told people that opening a model and saving it again in my software would usually fix the "model parts sticking to other models" bug. This is because I do not preserve the GeosetId and GeosetAnimId metadata on bones, and instead I regenerate this information every time we save a model. I do this because I determined that for all I could tell, the original War3ArtTools used to create the original Blizzard MDX art assets also automatically generated this information, so it would be a waste of the time of our community for artists to need to decide this information on their own.

However, in the one case of the Blademaster -- and I think I have not seen any other model like this -- there is an "intentionally corrupted" entry in one of the GeosetId/GeosetAnimId values that basically gets lost by resaving with Retera Model Studio and all the other MDX software that I have ever written with my same libraries. This causes the ribbon effect on the Blademaster sword to show only and specifically during the Blademaster "Dissipate" animation, even though on the original classic model it does not show.

So, I was seeing that your model has this bug. You can reformat the model to something that Retera Model Studio can open and save fine by changing the ribbon emitter on the Blademaster sword to have a 0 visibility value during the dissipate animation (meaning "don't show"). Obviously if you're interested you can analyze the original blademaster and how it does not have that visibility setting -- so in theory its ribbon emitter should show during its dissipate animation -- but then in reality ingame it does not show. The reason is because of these GeosetAnimId/GeosetId meta datas. Blizzard basically attaches the classic Blademaster ribbon to a bone, and then corrupted the bone so it would normally do that thing where it would stretch out and attach to nearby models, but apparently the behavior on ribbons instead of stretching like that is to disappear, and so it causes the original blizzard Blademaster model's ribbon to mysteriously disappear during that animation (which despite not having 0 visibility keyframe is presumably the author intention, since I doubt the ribbon is intended to show during dissipate).
Or at least that was my intuition/conclusion when I investigated the problem many years ago. Maybe I am mis-remembering, but as I recall this was the general idea of the problem.

For the above described reasons, I never felt called to fix this, because it seems that I would need to change my GeosetId/GeosetAnimId meta data generator to generate using some intentionally corrupted output in certain circumstances that I didn't bother to work out.

Just figured I'd mention this in case you feel like modifying it to fix the problem. The issue may also apply to other Blademaster derivative works that you open and save with my software. Happy modding!
I was able to find an older version of said model and the error was on my part.

Must be one of those post-Reforge bugs. I haven't encountered the bug as far as I can tell.

Level 60
Soooo do you want me to upload the texture here then?
I have been waiting for your to upload it on the official resource page, by the way. Unless there is going to be an issue with the rules or something.

EDIT:
I have a question about cannon tower (see here Tower (Human) and Derivatives )

They do not face their guns correctly at their target upon attacking (always instead face 270 degrees, i.e. 'south'); while during 'rest' their cannon-turrets rotate back to deafalut 'south-east'.

Is there any easy way to fix that, within unit editor perhaps? I think this isn't the model's fault...

That looks like an older version of the official upload. Try upgrading the imported model.

Last edited:
Level 3
@Ujimasa Hojo Hey man!
I downloaded your alchemist and derivatives and its awesome!

Im wondering if you just could tell me how to import the pikes when he gets morphed. I saw they're bones, but do you know how I can make them appear into another moddel?

I converted the reforged model of alchemist to classic, and I think it would look awesome with the pikes.

Thank you a lot for your time and reply!

Level 11
Hello, I made these Nightborne building textures a while back based on the Observatory and Dalaran Buildings doodads by cropping wow textures and Ujimasa Hojo's Dalaran buildings, if anyone wants to use them or maybe refine them please be my guest.
Untitled.png

Attachments

• NightborneBuildings.blp
    168.9 KB · Views: 76
  • NightborneObservatory.blp
    750.4 KB · Views: 74
Level 34
@Ujimasa Hojo I always wondered why you never made Kul Tiras Footman and Knight. Especially knight, since we do not have any (there are modern HD with green clothes, so they do not match your blue clothes for that faction). There is footman made by loktar. I made once Knight, because we lacked that, a few years ago. It was mounted captain on a horse, with blue Kul Tiras clothes. Helmet, shield and weapon remained original. Then I lost model..... I am still upset on moments when I remember about that.

Level 38
@Ujimasa Hojo I always wondered why you never made Kul Tiras Footman and Knight. Especially knight, since we do not have any (there are modern HD with green clothes, so they do not match your blue clothes for that faction). There is footman made by loktar. I made once Knight, because we lacked that, a few years ago. It was mounted captain on a horse, with blue Kul Tiras clothes. Helmet, shield and weapon remained original. Then I lost model..... I am still upset on moments when I remember about that.
You maybe could like this
Edited and changed work of Ujimasa hojo by Ilya Alaric