• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

TWIF - Custom Chat Icon Contest #1 - Concept Art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
:A NOTE BEFOREHAND:
Before you see my judging, I would like to say that, TWIF never really posted a judging criteria or number/point system. So I improvised in a manner of speaking. My judging/scoring system is sort of a spin-off of other 2d art contest criteria. But i tried to focus on what would make something good "CONCEPT ART". Thus you have to look at what makes something a good CONCEPT and what makes something good ART by definition.

Concept: an idea of something formed by mentally combining all its characteristics or particulars; a construct.
Art: the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.

x/10-Originality - Is this concept unique? Something new or interesting that hasn't been done before multiple times?

x/10-Theme - Does the entry fit into the theme? Does this unit look like it would be from warcraft 3? Would you expect to find this unit in warcraft 4?

x/15-Proportions/perspective - Are all body parts/props proportionate? Are all relative sizes believable? (for example: having golfball size fists but biceps the size of bowling balls?)
x/15-Color/texture/shading - Do the colors make sense? (example: is a stealth unit wearing bright pink?) Or, if it is a black/white picture, did the artist include texture and shading? (example: fur or leather or metal?)
x/10-Professional Appearance - Does this piece or do these pieces of artwork look professional? Does it look like the artist spent time in creating it? Or is it a scribble on a napkin? (Clean lines, no smudges or scribbles, overal appearance)

Sorry it took so long to judge, but i had to read through that wc4:legacy of the damned lore and stuff, make sure it fit with the story TWIF made (there's no point in having a concept that wont be in the game) Anyway, judging is done. Thanks to all contestants for entering, everyone did great, keep drawing and practicing... and all that.

Contestant : Kimberly

Originality
___________07/10

Theme
______________06/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________14/15

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________12/15

Professional
Appearance__________08/10

Total_______________47/60

I'm not exactly sure how original this is. No one has made a troll boar master before, but it almost looks like a troll shaman. The name "boar master" makes me think of a Shepperd. Which leads me to wonder how effective a Shepperd would be in battle. I mean, would this unit summon boars? Theme-wise, i think it will fit in alright, but I'm not sure if it would be used as a hero or a regular unit. From an artistic perspective, i think this one is one of my favorites. He's striking a cool pose and everything seems proportional. Trolls are strong but very limber and gangly creatures. They remind me of the Disney animated Tarzan. Strong but agile. The shading you did and texture you implied are phenomenal. Looks grade A, but i would have loved to see ALL of it textured/shaded.

Contestant : Enjoy

Originality
___________04/10

Theme
______________04/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________15/15

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________13/15

Professional
Appearance__________09/10

Total_______________45/60

World of Warcraft beat you to it. Tauren Death Knight has been done. And with that being said, it doesnt really work into the theme too well either. According to TWIF's story, the lich king was becoming weaker when his frozen throne cracked. So a death knight, while not impossible, would be unlikely if the Lich King's powers were waning. I would say though that you have the best perspective/proportions in the contest. The tauren looks strong but not cartoony. All the colors fit perfectly, except that it looks rather muted. It's also a bit stereotypical, yes we know deathknights are black and blue and scary.... but it works. The hair/fur looks great and the armor looks like metal... very dull and worn metal, but at least it has a bit of texture.

Contestant : Mr.Goblin

Originality
___________04/10

Theme
______________09/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________12/15

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________11/15

Professional
Appearance__________07/10

Total_______________43/60

It's an Orc Shaman. What else is there to say? it's already a unit in wc3. Except this one has a different skinned pelt on it's head. But since it's already a unit, yea, it'll fit perfectly in the game. Looking at all the pictures, it looks like you got the proportions and perspective down pretty good. The feet and the left fist seem a tad bit small but otherwise fit a bulky Orc body. There is so much incredible detail in the pictures and the sculpture. Perfect skin, fur and even the feathers look great. But i would have loved to see that great texture on the ENTIRE picture and not just 30% of it. What you did finish looked professional enough, it just needed to be finished.

Contestant : ShiiK

Originality
___________07/10

Theme
______________05/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________11/15

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________10/15

Professional

Total_______________40/60

A slutty female voodoo doctor? Meh, not exactly a cookie-cutter unit, but I've seen it before. I have no idea where this unit fits into the project. If it's forsaken, then she should be undead. It cant be the humans, because they don't use evil magic. And it's unlikely that the burning legion would use a voodoo doctor. The burning legion has always used more direct brute strength evil magic. The entire unit is shaded nicely and the colors seem to fit well... if look a bit bland. But nothing really has any texture to it. The skin is smooth, the tattoo is glossy, The voodoo doll is velvet instead of burlap. the belt isn't leathery and the hair looks like play-dough. The body is proportionate for the most part. Except for the minuscule hands and that bulbous eyeball. Both of those things just somehow ruin it for me. I know you said that the eyeball is "suppose" to be a "mask" but masks usually cover most if not all of the face. The "masks" worn by superheroes (example: batman/robin) cover the area around their eyes but have openings that they can see out of. If the eye is painted on the so called "mask" then she would not be able to see out of it, and hence it would be a blindfold (like illidan has) and not a mask at all. At any rate though, who would paint an eye on their blindfold? it confuses people and looks too big.

Contestant : ike_ike

Originality
___________08/10

Theme
______________07/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________10/15

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________07/15

Professional
Appearance__________05/10

Total_______________37/60

Pretty original, A flying dual-blade-weilding blood elf warrior. You see humans with swords and orcs with swords but you really dont see too many blood elves pick up the weapon. Which by the way, i love the shape of the swords. There is very little if any shading, and no texture at all, but the colors go well together. The actual outcome is rather messy, but it does get the overall design across. And that is the main point of concept art.

Contestant : Pyramidhe@d

Originality
___________07/10

Theme
______________04/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________09/15

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________08/15

Professional
Appearance__________06/10

Total_______________35/60

It's like if the rifleman and a felhound had a baby. I don't think that this would exactly fit into the lore. I didn't think that felhounds would be domesticated/trained enough to strap a weapon onto them (i would assume felhounds would be bestial) And with that being said demons don't have guns and dwarves don't have felhounds :/ On top of that i just find something inherently wrong with the concept. It just doesnt work. How does the felhound reload it's gun? If it's flintlock then it doesn't have a clip. The felhound doesn't have opposable thumbs to pull back the hammer for it to fire. And where do the bullets go anyway? the barrel covers it's mouth so does the felhound run around with a mouthful of leadshots and gunpowder? (lol, funny picture in my mind of the felhounds head just fucking exploding when it tries to shoot someone) Anyway, the legs look strange to me, (left front leg is thinner and has more joints than the right front leg) And the texture looks like a glossy plaid. :/ I think you could have done better pyra.

Contestant : Nara-Shikamaru

Originality
___________04/10

Theme
______________09/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________08/15

Color/Texture/

Professional

Total_______________33/60

It looks like a pretty standard Draenei, except that he is now carrying a sack of gold, some logs and a ridiculous tool. I actually like the idea of an axe/pick combo ( and yes, lol, it's a pick-axe) but for both tool heads to be facing the same direction on opposite ends of the handle would make it incredibly awkward to wield. to use either a pickaxe or an axe you need leverage, and you cant get proper leverage if you slice your thumb off when you try to get a grip. Theme-wise though this model makes perfect sense. It's the working class of the "syndicate of the outlands. Blood elves are magic users and naga aren't suited well for ground combat/labor. Art wise, the artist attempted texture/shading, i can see the wood grain and a shine on the gold and a sort of light/shadows on the body, But it seems rather half-ass. Everything is uneven, the shadows aren't smooth or blended well at all. And the textures are not defined very well. There are a few proportion mistakes that bug me. One foot is larger than the other, his right armpit is on top of his pectoral muscle, instead of behind it. And the right arm has a large sharp triangle for an elbow. Overall it seems like a mediocre entry at best. It's not utter shit, but it's nothing fantastic either

Contestant : M0rbid

Originality
___________07/10

Theme
______________02/10

Proportions/

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________06/15

Professional
Appearance__________04/10

Total_______________28/60

Sure, it's an original concept. But because it's completely made up, it doesn't fit into the lore or storyline at all. It is a complete "throw-away". Because it doesn't connect with anything pre-established, but also has no major role to play. No one would notice if it was there or not. Artistically speaking, it looks completely unfinished. the hands, feet, tail and left leg are blurry silhouettes. Most of the body has a nice fur texture on it. But beyond that, it looks like a 5-10 minute project before getting bored.

Contestant : WherewolfTherewolf

Originality
___________05/10

Theme
______________06/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________07/15

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________05/15

Professional

Total_______________27/60

I am not entirely sure what i am looking at here... i mean, i know that it is suppose to be a blimp or zepplin or something. But I cant say that i see a cockpit to drive this thing. I dont see what that single giant gear is attached to, or where the smoke for those smokestacks is coming from. The propeller in the back looks like it's literally 90 degrees to the right of where it is suppose to be facing (strait back). It's not colored and it looks like there is very little shading. I know it's a "Wip" but it's blurry and undefined and confusing.

Contestant : kola

Originality
___________04

Theme
______________07

Proportions/
Perspective__________05

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________04

Professional
Appearance__________04

Total_______________24/60

Muscular Demon-man... Not really original. But it does fit with wc3, it almost looks like archimond. Proportionately uneven. It looks like there was an attempt to show defined muscles, you can see the biceps, but the forearms are sticks. And i have no idea what is going on with those crooked wings. It isn't colored... i don't know if that's because it's suppose to be a lightly-white ghost on a black background or if the artist was just too lazy/didn't have time to put color in. I can see a small attempt at shading, but the light source is undefined.

Contestant : supertoinkz

Originality
___________04/10

Theme
______________04/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________05/15

Color/Texture/

Professional
Appearance__________03/10

Total_______________21/60

It's the pope but in blue armor. And i can't really say how this would fit into the game. The humans never had religious leaders. There were religious warriors (paladins), but not really any priest/deacon/pope system in place. The chest is too flat, the right arm is jutting out too far, one foot is sticking WAY out there which leads me to assume that one leg is longer than the other. And you have a nice little ":D" smiley face for a head with no neck. There is some shading on the blue armor, but this is obviously an unfinished product.

Contestant : vosty

Originality
___________06/10

Theme
______________06/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________03/15

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________02/15

Professional
Appearance__________01/10

Total_______________18/60

*cough*.... well, the back story made it more... interesting. And there have been hybrids in the wc3 lore before, so it could fit in well enough. But as for the picture itself, it has no shading, texture, color, it's disproportionate and i think i can safely say that it isn't the most "professional" looking, (partially because it's drawn on lined paper)

Level 31
Muscular Demon-man... Not really original. But it does fit with wc3, it almost looks like archimond. Proportionately uneven. It looks like there was an attempt to show defined muscles, you can see the biceps, but the forearms are sticks. And i have no idea what is going on with those crooked wings. It isn't colored... i don't know if that's because it's suppose to be a lightly-white ghost on a black background or if the artist was just too lazy/didn't have time to put color in. I can see a small attempt at shading, but the light source is undefined.

just saying, that was a fast sketch i made, There is nothing completed in my drawing :p it was supposed to be a wip but I didnt finish it.

I am not entirely sure what i am looking at here... i mean, i know that it is suppose to be a blimp or zepplin or something. But I cant say that i see a cockpit to drive this thing. I dont see what that single giant gear is attached to, or where the smoke for those smokestacks is coming from. The propeller in the back looks like it's literally 90 degrees to the right of where it is suppose to be facing (strait back). It's not colored and it looks like there is very little shading. I know it's a "Wip" but it's blurry and undefined and confusing.

I ran out of time, I figured by not doing past a wip I wouldn't have been judged at all, I'd rather not have submitted such a terrible piece of art to a contest, sorry about that.

Level 10
The best way to do is get percentage from each judge scores and then sum em up and get average percentage for each contestant.

For example in anarchianbedlam's judging, Kimberly's score is 47/60 - you already got the answer, just divide contestant's score with max score and you will get percentage in decimal form. The result is (of Kimberly's score) 0.783333333... - Basically 78%.

I acually happen to get it. if everyones judging on one person is equal to.. 156, and on another it is equal to... 167.. thats how it works, its not like grey nightmare did each person differently, as long as they use the same techinqe for all people, adding up the sum is fine.

#1:

30/50
67/100
22/60

= 117 / 210

i belive that works fine.

Level 48
But what if a judge gave 50\50 to a contestant while another judge gave 35\35? That would make no sense, since both received maximum points yet the first judge's judging is actually worth MORE points than the second judge's judging. Thus it makes one judge 'overpowered', and have a lot more power over the final results.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Just do percentage like already mentioned. Average percentage, sure, but average total doesn't work.

Contestant X:
Judge 1 - 46/50
Judge 2 - 21/25
Judge 3 - 85/100
Judge 4 - 42/50
Makes 92 + 84 + 85 + 84 = 345/400 = 86%
Not 46 + 21 + 85 + 52 = 204/225 = 91%

I am sure you actually understand, but you're not giving us the impression you do. :p

Level 10
Just do percentage like already mentioned. Average percentage, sure, but average total doesn't work.

Contestant X:
Judge 1 - 46/50
Judge 2 - 21/25
Judge 3 - 85/100
Judge 4 - 42/50
Not 46 + 21 + 85 + 52 = 204/225 = 91%

I am sure you actually understand, but you're not giving us the impression you do. :p

It does work, average total in percantage is just simple calculation.

For example there are 4 judges, and one contestant. When you calculate judging results you get (eg.): 56% ; 70% ; 62% ; 55%

All you have to do is (56+70+62+55) / 4 = 243 / 4 = 60.75.

So contestant has average total score of 60%.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

It does work, average total in percantage is just simple calculation.

For example there are 4 judges, and one contestant. When you calculate judging results you get (eg.): 56% ; 70% ; 62% ; 55%

All you have to do is (56+70+62+55) / 4 = 243 / 4 = 60.75.

So contestant has average total score of 60%.

You didn't even read my first sentence.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Well, what I did try to punch through is that percentage works. I just didn't specify that it's percent for each of the numbers in the "correct" example.

Contestant X:
Judge 1 - 46/50
Judge 2 - 21/25
Judge 3 - 85/100
Judge 4 - 42/50
Literally means:
92% + 84% + 85% + 84% = 86%

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

TWIF, didn't Amry-of-Pandas already send you the judging in a PM anyway? I can't see why you need him to post it, but if it's so important that all judges post here, I suggest you just ignore Army-of-Panda's judging and finish this contest with the other two judges' opinions. This really needs to get wrapped up.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

What do you want me to post? i already send you a PM.

The PM. He wants you to post the judging. Probably as a way to prove it is your judging and not TWIF that has manipulated the numbers.

36/50
84836d1278237095-twif-custom-chat-icon-contest-1-concept-art-draneiworker.png

Originality - How original is your concept?
This category was hard to judge, the idea isn't original in the sense
that there were Draeni workers in the wc3 campaigns. However. You have done
very well in making it original otherwise, showing the tool it would use,
the way it would dress, changed it's skin colour and shown examples of how
it would carry resources.

7/10

Colour - How was your use of colors? too bight? not enough contrast?

I like the use of green, it differs from the typical blue or grey Draeni of
WOW and Wc3, however I think in some places it does get a bit bright, a darker, less
sickly green would've been more pleasing to the eye.

6/10

Shading - Does your art have detailed shading?

The shading is rather impressive in some areas, you've used shadows and ighting
fairly well, but I often find the shading is a bit too sudden, each highlight
contrasting too much with the one beforehand.

7/10

Details - Is your art detailed? is your art just a smudge?

The detail on the logs, cloth and gold are pretty good, the shadows add some
depth to the image. The wrapping/detail lines on the chest, don't perform as I believe you intended, they stand out "too" much.

6/10

Theme - How well did you follow the theme?
You pretty much nailed the theme, this is a very useful and realistic concept. Well done.

10/10

37/50
LoaOgouHaitanVodouWIP23FinalEntryby.png

Originality

Nothing amazingly original here, a human girl holding a puppet and wearing kinky barbarian clothes.
Ah, I guess it's not that bad... But it's not particularly groundbreaking either.

5/10

Colour

Brilliant. The contrast is great, the tones are great. My only complaint is the blue and that's
personal preference so you won't lose marks for that, however The face mask could've been a bit lighter, it stands out more than it should.

9/10

Shading

Again, near perfect, smooth, progressive, shadowed. I can't fault much at all here.

10/10

Detail

The detail on the tattoos, belts and well the whole picture really is simply epic. However
the anatomy is a bit out, the eye a prime example. The hair could've done with some more highlights
to.

9/10

Theme

I don't really see this fitting into Sc2Wc4, don't get me wrong it's a great drawing, in a nice pose and would work
well as concept art for another project but the idea just doesn't seem to fit anywhere, MAYBE as a mercenary hero or
campaign character, I suppose a Thermorian general who spends to much time with the orcs. You have to push your imagination.

4/10

39/50
106cx8i.png

Originality

If we ignore (WoW? I am guessing Tauren can be death knights..? I never played it)
It's a fairly original concept and it's executed well. I can imagine that is what a Tauren
Death Knight would actaully look like if it were in WoW/Wc4. However at the end of the day it's
just two ideas merged into one, so won't get full marks.

8/10

Colour

Loving it, dark and moody, steel/evil coloured armour, lovely tone of blue, light enough to contrast but
not so bright as to hurt the eyes, although tiny bit more variation wouldn't have gone a miss.

9/10

Shading

Definitely the strong point of this piece. I can't flaw it.

10/10

Detail

After looking at some of the other entries, I think you could have gone a bit further with this.
Nevertheless what level detail there is done well.

8/10

Theme

This is original and good for a concept, but it's just not wc4.

4/10

34/50
85629d1279205883-twif-custom-chat-icon-contest-1-concept-art-junglemancer.png

Originality
The first thing I thought of when I saw this was, 'wtf is it?' I think that alone makes this worthy of...

10/10

Colour
Yeah, well there isn't an awful lot of that.

2/10

Shading
Considering the lack of the above, the shading is done very well. The way you
bring out the ribs, shoulder blades and directional light is pretty astounding.

8/10

Detail

The attention to detail on the face and hair is what won points here.

7/10

Theme

I thought at first it was very original then I thought it looks/seems and acts rather like a Satyr.

7/10

PENDING REVIEW (Need to talk to TWIF about how I mark shading on a scultpture :p)

35/50
troll21-1.jpg

Eh, to me it looks a lot like a witch doctor or something. However I can see where your coming from with the whole
troll boar master.

6/10

Colour - How was your use of colors? too bight? not enough contrast?

The colours are fantastic, there is nothing particuarly unique or fresh, but the blizzard troll theme of blue skin and fur and leather
apparel is hit spot on. Not a shade out.

9/10

The shading is very impressive, however it isn't consistent, only the top half of the image seems "done".

7/10

Again only half the image seems to show proper detail, whether this was intetional or you ran out of time, depsite this
what detail is there, is amazing. The fur strands, the hair strands, the tusk crevices etc.

8/10

It would fit, but I personally don't think it's quite as imaginative as some of the other "concepts".

5/10

27/50
83589d1276297936-twif-custom-chat-icon-contest-1-concept-art-wip_final.png

I must say I am not 100% sure what this is supposed to be, some kind of dreadlord/demon hunter mix? Well it must be fairly
original if such is the case.

7/10

Colour - How was your use of colors? too bright? not enough contrast?

Not much to say here, although the contrast of black and white is nice, it'd be unfair to give you too many points for it.
Side Note: I would really like to see this coloured, if you plan on finishing it outside the contest.

2/10

It's minimal but rather effective, especially considering the lack of colour variety.

6/10

I think considering the stage you left it at it's actually rather detailed, the muscles are good and don't look out of place.
The facial expression is very genuine etc.

6/10

It does look like something out of Warcraft, though I can't see it bringing anything new to the game. As mentioned above
it looks like some cross between a demon hunter and dreadlord. It would good for a campaign hero perhaps.

6/10

11/50
83837d1276643508-twif-custom-chat-icon-contest-1-concept-art-scan0001.png

Originality

Not Really.

4/10

Colour

I'm afraid I can't give you anything here.

0/10

Shading

Nope.

0/10

Detail

It's not completely bland.

3/10

Theme

It's ok, just about pheasible.

4/10

30/50
Valkyrie10-6-10.jpg

Originality

It's an elf with two swords. Not very original in my books, sorry.
It has teh wings n lobs the swords, like boomerangs?!? O.O

4/10
7/10

Colour

Better, the red is good, just like blood elf armour, good choice of tone. The brown contrasts
well and is used appropriately. The green is very sickly/bright but is used minimally
and does more good than bad.

6/10

Shading

There isn't a lot that I can see, the skin/stomach has made a good start, as has the armour it
could've done with some further work though.

5/10

Detail

Again, it seems unfinished, the proper detail is minimal.

4/10

Theme

It does fit the Warcraft theme and could be used for a unit
or hero.

8/10

43/50
83375d1275931036-twif-custom-chat-icon-contest-1-concept-art-sniperhead.jpg

Originality

It's uh-riginal there is no doubt about that.

9/10

Colour

Good use of colour all round, well contrasted and appropriate.

9/10

Shading

Again very good, easily one of the best in this category.

10/10

Detail

Generally very good, the musket body and skull cap are pure epic. Although it's back hairs and feet/claws would
have benefited from more attention and some of the white lines, especially nearer the face could've done with less opacity.

8/10

Theme

At first I thought you'd lost the plot a bit, but now I know it's a musket I'm thinking this ain't a half bad idea.

7/10

29/50
153136-albums2534-picture30206.jpg

Originality

It's not 100% original, but like nara, you've done a very good job of updating
an old concept and giving it something fresh.

7/10

Colour

Once again not a lot I can say here.

1/10

Shading

Fairly effective use of pencil shading, you seem to progress nicely and know
where to shade and by how much.

7/10

Detail

Your attention to minute detail isn't amazing, but the overall drawing is very
neat and orderly, you've included the bolts, wooden poles on the sails etc.

6/10

Theme

A fairly useful concept, it's a fresh looking remake of an old classic, something
that may definitely be of some use.

8/10

11/50
83081d1275576065-twif-custom-chat-icon-contest-1-concept-art-wip3.png

Originality

It's basically a priest, we have one in every wc3 so far.
You can have a few points for his "new look".

2/10

Colour

1/10

Shading

Wow, there is actually a bit of shading on the coloured bit!

2/10

Detail

It could've done with fine tuning...

1/10

Theme

Well, it is concept and it does fit the lore.

5/10

Contestant : Kimberly

Originality
___________07/10

Theme
______________06/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________14/15

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________12/15

Professional
Appearance__________08/10

Total_______________47/60

I'm not exactly sure how original this is. No one has made a troll boar master before, but it almost looks like a troll shaman. The name "boar master" makes me think of a Shepperd. Which leads me to wonder how effective a Shepperd would be in battle. I mean, would this unit summon boars? Theme-wise, i think it will fit in alright, but I'm not sure if it would be used as a hero or a regular unit. From an artistic perspective, i think this one is one of my favorites. He's striking a cool pose and everything seems proportional. Trolls are strong but very limber and gangly creatures. They remind me of the Disney animated Tarzan. Strong but agile. The shading you did and texture you implied are phenomenal. Looks grade A, but i would have loved to see ALL of it textured/shaded.

Contestant : Enjoy

Originality
___________04/10

Theme
______________04/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________15/15

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________13/15

Professional
Appearance__________09/10

Total_______________45/60

World of Warcraft beat you to it. Tauren Death Knight has been done. And with that being said, it doesnt really work into the theme too well either. According to TWIF's story, the lich king was becoming weaker when his frozen throne cracked. So a death knight, while not impossible, would be unlikely if the Lich King's powers were waning. I would say though that you have the best perspective/proportions in the contest. The tauren looks strong but not cartoony. All the colors fit perfectly, except that it looks rather muted. It's also a bit stereotypical, yes we know deathknights are black and blue and scary.... but it works. The hair/fur looks great and the armor looks like metal... very dull and worn metal, but at least it has a bit of texture.

Contestant : Mr.Goblin

Originality
___________04/10

Theme
______________09/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________12/15

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________11/15

Professional

Total_______________43/60

It's an Orc Shaman. What else is there to say? it's already a unit in wc3. Except this one has a different skinned pelt on it's head. But since it's already a unit, yea, it'll fit perfectly in the game. Looking at all the pictures, it looks like you got the proportions and perspective down pretty good. The feet and the left fist seem a tad bit small but otherwise fit a bulky Orc body. There is so much incredible detail in the pictures and the sculpture. Perfect skin, fur and even the feathers look great. But i would have loved to see that great texture on the ENTIRE picture and not just 30% of it. What you did finish looked professional enough, it just needed to be finished.

Contestant : ShiiK

Originality
___________07/10

Theme
______________05/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________11/15

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________10/15

Professional

Total_______________40/60

A slutty female voodoo doctor? Meh, not exactly a cookie-cutter unit, but I've seen it before. I have no idea where this unit fits into the project. If it's forsaken, then she should be undead. It cant be the humans, because they don't use evil magic. And it's unlikely that the burning legion would use a voodoo doctor. The burning legion has always used more direct brute strength evil magic. The entire unit is shaded nicely and the colors seem to fit well... if look a bit bland. But nothing really has any texture to it. The skin is smooth, the tattoo is glossy, The voodoo doll is velvet instead of burlap. the belt isn't leathery and the hair looks like play-dough. The body is proportionate for the most part. Except for the minuscule hands and that bulbous eyeball. Both of those things just somehow ruin it for me. I know you said that the eyeball is "suppose" to be a "mask" but masks usually cover most if not all of the face. The "masks" worn by superheroes (example: batman/robin) cover the area around their eyes but have openings that they can see out of. If the eye is painted on the so called "mask" then she would not be able to see out of it, and hence it would be a blindfold (like illidan has) and not a mask at all. At any rate though, who would paint an eye on their blindfold? it confuses people and looks too big.

Contestant : ike_ike

Originality
___________08/10

Theme
______________07/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________10/15

Color/Texture/

Professional

Total_______________37/60

Pretty original, A flying dual-blade-weilding blood elf warrior. You see humans with swords and orcs with swords but you really dont see too many blood elves pick up the weapon. Which by the way, i love the shape of the swords. There is very little if any shading, and no texture at all, but the colors go well together. The actual outcome is rather messy, but it does get the overall design across. And that is the main point of concept art.

Contestant : Pyramidhe@d

Originality
___________07/10

Theme
______________04/10

Proportions/

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________08/15

Professional
Appearance__________06/10

Total_______________35/60

It's like if the rifleman and a felhound had a baby. I don't think that this would exactly fit into the lore. I didn't think that felhounds would be domesticated/trained enough to strap a weapon onto them (i would assume felhounds would be bestial) And with that being said demons don't have guns and dwarves don't have felhounds :/ On top of that i just find something inherently wrong with the concept. It just doesnt work. How does the felhound reload it's gun? If it's flintlock then it doesn't have a clip. The felhound doesn't have opposable thumbs to pull back the hammer for it to fire. And where do the bullets go anyway? the barrel covers it's mouth so does the felhound run around with a mouthful of leadshots and gunpowder? (lol, funny picture in my mind of the felhounds head just fucking exploding when it tries to shoot someone) Anyway, the legs look strange to me, (left front leg is thinner and has more joints than the right front leg) And the texture looks like a glossy plaid. :/ I think you could have done better pyra.

Contestant : Nara-Shikamaru

Originality
___________04/10

Theme
______________09/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________08/15

Color/Texture/

Professional

Total_______________33/60

It looks like a pretty standard Draenei, except that he is now carrying a sack of gold, some logs and a ridiculous tool. I actually like the idea of an axe/pick combo ( and yes, lol, it's a pick-axe) but for both tool heads to be facing the same direction on opposite ends of the handle would make it incredibly awkward to wield. to use either a pickaxe or an axe you need leverage, and you cant get proper leverage if you slice your thumb off when you try to get a grip. Theme-wise though this model makes perfect sense. It's the working class of the "syndicate of the outlands. Blood elves are magic users and naga aren't suited well for ground combat/labor. Art wise, the artist attempted texture/shading, i can see the wood grain and a shine on the gold and a sort of light/shadows on the body, But it seems rather half-ass. Everything is uneven, the shadows aren't smooth or blended well at all. And the textures are not defined very well. There are a few proportion mistakes that bug me. One foot is larger than the other, his right armpit is on top of his pectoral muscle, instead of behind it. And the right arm has a large sharp triangle for an elbow. Overall it seems like a mediocre entry at best. It's not utter shit, but it's nothing fantastic either

Contestant : M0rbid

Originality
___________07/10

Theme
______________02/10

Proportions/

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________06/15

Professional

Total_______________28/60

Sure, it's an original concept. But because it's completely made up, it doesn't fit into the lore or storyline at all. It is a complete "throw-away". Because it doesn't connect with anything pre-established, but also has no major role to play. No one would notice if it was there or not. Artistically speaking, it looks completely unfinished. the hands, feet, tail and left leg are blurry silhouettes. Most of the body has a nice fur texture on it. But beyond that, it looks like a 5-10 minute project before getting bored.

Contestant : WherewolfTherewolf

Originality
___________05/10

Theme
______________06/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________07/15

Color/Texture/

Professional

Total_______________27/60

Contestant : kola

Originality
___________04

Theme
______________07

Proportions/
Perspective__________05

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________04

Professional
Appearance__________04

Total_______________24/60

Contestant : supertoinkz

Originality
___________04/10

Theme
______________04/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________05/15

Color/Texture/

Professional
Appearance__________03/10

Total_______________21/60

It's the pope but in blue armor. And i can't really say how this would fit into the game. The humans never had religious leaders. There were religious warriors (paladins), but not really any priest/deacon/pope system in place. The chest is too flat, the right arm is jutting out too far, one foot is sticking WAY out there which leads me to assume that one leg is longer than the other. And you have a nice little ":D" smiley face for a head with no neck. There is some shading on the blue armor, but this is obviously an unfinished product.

Contestant : vosty

Originality
___________06/10

Theme
______________06/10

Proportions/
Perspective__________03/15

Color/Texture/
Shading_____________02/15

Professional
Appearance__________01/10

Total_______________18/60

*cough*.... well, the back story made it more... interesting. And there have been hybrids in the wc3 lore before, so it could fit in well enough. But as for the picture itself...

Nara-shikamaru
Originality: It looks quite like a warcraft character indeed. 24/30
Color: The colors seem to match the format of the figure. 20/30
Shading: The shading needs alot of work. 19/30
Details: The details are nice, but they chould be better. 20/30
Theme: Matches theme pretty good. 25/30

Kimberly
Originality: This is really original, and nice. 27/30
Color: All the colors match and work perfectly. 28/30
Shading: The shading on lock, very nice. 29/30
Details: Add details in areas, +1 26/30
Theme: Pretty much meets the theme, alot. 28/30

M0rbid
Originality: Some-kind of original i guess. 22/30
Color: No color. 10/30
Shading: You have some shading, which will help you out. -> 26/30
Details: Not much details happening here. 19/30
Theme: If it was done, then it would be a nice theme. 20/30

shiiK
Originality: Human, original, but not quite 24/30
Color: Lots of color happening here. 26/30
Shading: Shading is fantastic. 28/30
Details: Teddy bear, some other details. 27/30
Theme: Kinda matches the theme a little, not quite though. 26/30

Mr.Goblin
Originality: Very original and awesome. 27/30
Color: Used dark colors for the details. 26/30
Shading: Cant tell if its shaded or not, but it has a nice overall look on it. 26/30
Details: This has lots of details. 28/30
Theme: Meets the theme well. 28/30

enjoy
Originality: Very original indeed. 28/30
Color: Dark blue and brownish colors 27/30
Shading: Shadings on the stop! 29/30
Details: Armor, leggings, nice 29/30
Theme: Meets the theme alot. 30/30

supertoinkz
Originality: Its orginal. 24/30
Color: Not much color. 23/30
Shading: None. 10/30
Details: Armor? 18/30
Theme: It meets it. 25/30

WherewolfTherewolf
Originality: Quite original here. 25/30
Color: Its black and white. 23/30
Shading: Actually there is shading. 24/30
Details: Some details here. 23/30
Theme: Meets the theme. 25/30

Pyramidhe@d
Originality: Looks original to me. 28/30
Color: Used some color in this, nice. 26/30
Shading: Shadings down good. 28/30
Details: Very good details. 29/30
Theme: Some-what matches theme. 27/30

ike_ike
Originality: Its original enough. 27/30
Color: There is color here. 27/30
Shading: Not enough shading. 25/30
Details: Some details are missing, and some are not. 25/30
Theme: Matches theme pretty good. 25/30

kola
Originality: Not good at all 10/30
Color: None 10/30
Shading: None. 10/30
Details: None. 10/30
Theme: Good i guess.. 15/30

vosty
Originality: Its ok, i guess. 18/30
Color: None. 10/30
Shading: None that i see. 10/30
Details: None. 10/30
Theme: doesn't really match. 10/30

(Army-of-Panda's judging in decimal form*100 + Grey Nightmare's judging in decimal form*100 + anarchianbedlam's judging in decimal form*100) ÷3 = score/100

Nara-shikamaru: (0.72*100 + 0.72*100 + 0.55*100) ÷3 = 66.333
Kimberly: (0.92*100 + 0.7*100 + 0.78*100) ÷3 = 80
M0rbid: (0.64*100 + 0.68*100 + 0.46*100) ÷3 = 59.333
shiiK: (0.87*100 + 0.74*100 + 0.66*100) ÷3 = 75.666
Mr. Goblin: (0.9*100 + 0.71*100) ÷2 = 80.5
enjoy: (0.95*100 + 0.78*100 + 0.75*100) ÷3 = 82.666
supertoinkz: (0.66*100 + 0.22*100 + 0.35*100) ÷3 = 41
WherewolfTherewolf: (0.8*100 + 0.58*100 + 0.45*100) ÷3 = 61
Pyramidhe@d: (0.92*100 + 0.86*100 + 0.58*100) ÷3 = 78.666
ike_ike: (0.86*100 + 0.6*100 + 0.61*100) ÷3 = 69
kola: (0.36*100 + 0.54*100 + 0.4*100) ÷3 = 43.333
Vosty: (0.38*100 + 0.22*100 + 0.3*100) ÷3 = 30

1st Place
enjoy
2nd Place
Mr.Goblin
3rd Place
Kimberly

4th - Pyramidhe@d
5th - shiiK
6th - ike_ike
7th - Nara-shikamaru
8th - WherewolfTherewolf
9th - M0rbid
10th - kola
11th - supertoinkz
12th - Vosty

Results provided with the Assistance of 'Lich Prince'

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Congratulations everyone! Glad this contest finally concluded.

Level 48
Awesome, so I'm going to assume only the first place gets a free icon? Or 1st and 2nd? Or 1st and both runners up?

EDIT: WAIT. ENJOY? But but- IT'S A TAUREN DEATH KNIGHT.

God damnit I wont bother. :<

(It's not a fucking 'draw something awesome for me please' contest it's a concept art contest! It's not 'the most awesome and detailed drawing wins', it's 'the best idea behind the drawing wins, even if it looks like crap')

(TAUREN DEATH KNIGHTS EXIST IN WOW AND AS SUCH IT IS NOT SOMETHING UNIQUE\ORIGINAL\ETC)

Level 26
Creating concept art for a pre-existing storyline or "lore" is tricky. The idea itself needs to be both believable and unique. A sort of balancing act. The idea needs to fit in with pre-existing things while adding something new to the "blend" so to speak. Yes, there are tauren deathknights in the latest expansion for W.o.W. so it's not "unique", but it does fit perfectly in with the lore. The only thing "unique/new/interesting" enjoy contributed in her idea was the actual design of the armor.

Yes the idea is very important for concept art. But the POINT of concept art is to "CONVEY AN IDEA" and to convey that idea on 2D paper well, the idea must be drawn well.

If you have the blueprints to the deathstar or some fucking incredible concept in your head, but when you draw it, it looks like a 3 year old's crayon scribble.... then it's not going to be particularly fucking useful is it?

and debode, it says on the first page on TWIF's main post that only 1st place will receive an icon.

I'm afraid i can't go against my own rules. :/

I will be making a more organized contest later however, and it will be an art contest.

I will take lessons learned from this, and will try to fix the lazyness, and my own idiotic mistakes.

Same deal, award icon for first place. maybe a color for second.

But that is in the future.

Last edited:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Don't make this a drama-thread. The judges have judged and the results are in, it's not fair towards the announced winner to express your disagreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.