• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #8 - Poll

Can you decide who should get more attention? If so, then cast your vote responsibly.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.241100

concept%20art.png
contest.png
number.png
8.png

poll.png

Jotuns_Giants.jpg

Giants
Contestants are to create a piece of artwork depicting a gigantic being or creature. It can be inspired from ancient mythology as long as it brings something interesting to look at and it's obviously immense in size.

Welcome to the poll for Concept Art Contest #8: Giants! Please read through the rules before voting!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

entries.png

judges.png

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme
Does the artist take advantage of the theme, or is the vision unfitting?/10%

Execution
Does the artist display the design in an effective manner, or is it hard to tell what is what? Are artistic techniques used effectively to make the character interesting, or does the style deteriorate the concept? Is the appearance of the design objectively pleasing, or is it of low quality?/25%

Concept
Does the design offer a new creative approach, or is it generic and cliché? Does it have character, or is it just another boring design? Does the design make sense and fit the description, or is it necessary to read the title to understand?/40%

Realism
Does the design balance, or are the proportions impractical? Is the anatomy or construction correct, does it allow the character to move as it should, or is functionality disregarded entirely?/25%
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3​

holy shit these are some good entries.

marcos_dab, mr. goblin, and ugougo had really great execution. would not be surprised if all 3 of these guys either studying art/design or are professional artists.
there were also entries whose concepts i thought were great, even if not executed as well as they could've been e.g. stein123, coldblows.

but overall, my vote goes to grendel-. leviathan is not only really well drawn & realised, but it's one of the most creative entries here. i can see a lot of lovecraft and giger in that thing. i'd give him almost full marks in each judging criteria.

edit: not that this is my area of expertise or of great concern to me, but if you're voting you should try to decide based on the judging criteria. seems like people are just voting for the prettiest one, which would be cool if this were an icon or skinning contest. it's not though, this is for concept art. but watevs it's a free country.

Level 28
Eh, one vote, not fair. I can't decide. There are quite a few entries which I wanna vote for and I can't pick one, no way.

Why do non-multivote polls still exist at all :cgrin:?

I think I'm just not gonna vote. Voting for one would be unfair to some other entries, which also deserve it.

Anyways, interesting contest and great entries!

Why do non-multivote polls still exist at all ?

No multiple choice? I want to vote three tho. :(

To make sure that you vote with your head and not your heart all the time. That and being more responsible.

Voting for one would be unfair to some other entries, which also deserve it.

That's just the way you see it. Casting one vote at a time is still a better option than not assert your vote at all(not that I urge all to vote at all costs. Not voting is another option entirely that I can understand).
It can also make you think more than once before voting a specific entry, giving you more time to check all the entry and make a proper choice.

Eh, one vote, not fair.
I also put my vote in... For a multi-vote poll. : )

Heh. Good try guys, not gonna happen though. If you cannot cope with choosing a single entry to cast your vote upon then you're not obliged to do so.
I'd rather go with single choice voting for contest polls than have a multitude of spammed votes around. Sorry :)

...and, yes. Good contest, indeed it was.

Level 9
I cast my vote on UgoUgo not just because of amazing details and realistic look, but also the creativity on designing the giant makes his entry really worthful.
Also, i want to ask what graphics tablets you guys use.. And i would like to hear a suggestion about a beginner tablet. I was planning to buy one for a long time and got few options. (If there's a topic already has opened about that, i would appreciate if you direct me)

Level 28
Well, I always check all the entries thoroughly, as I think most people do. Besides, single or multi vote poll won't prevent people from picking by heart and not brains or by picking without having looked well through all the entries. So I don't see how single-vote poll is a solution.
Anyways, you made your point, we can just not vote.

Roland

R

Roland

xYours Trulyx's drawing shall be posted in the UNESCO Universal heritage of best of the best painting of the world with ripe bananas on it.

Level 14
Voted for Grendel~! I think it appealed the most as a giant.
While others also made wonderful arts, the thing for me is, anyone can draw whatever and say "this is a giant" by drawing small creatures or things around it in comparison.
I think if a creature gives the vibe that it has just been scaled 10x its original, is not enough for a concept art with the theme. There has be, ya know, feels. Not that I'm one to talk

Level 14
there is some really great concept arts there, a lot of creativity in all of them!

I voted for Mr. Goblin in the end, but it was a close decision for me - e.g. Grendel's and morbents art work's were really close as well in my opinion. After I voted for Mr Goblin, because it looks the most like an actual artwork to me, I thought, I should have voted for morbent instead, after I saw, he only had one vote ..

Well anyway, good luck for all of you!

Just a general question: Unfortunately I missed this contest (had a friendly, rolled-up earth giant holding glowing fieries in his hand in my mind) ... how often do these concept art contests take place?

Wow :D

I really like the entries, here are my reactions:

apcrabnightlive
- reminds me of the Spikestrike Ichthys Q (Duel Masters)

crabas sakti
- I probably have no idea how it will move it's joints XD

Coldblows
- Amazing, and btw I thought those are pyramids.

eubz
- Nice, reminds me of the Sand Moth card from YuGiOh

-Grendel
- Best sketch. Tho those "breasts" (censor please XD )

GunSlinger
- Looks like a Frilled Shark and a Frilled Lizard combined :D

Imadori
- BBLLAAAAAAARGHHGBLARRGGHHHHHHHHHHH

kari0003
- concept is nice, tho this needs more detail.

Marcos DAB
- OMG

morbent
- can't argue to a moose god (Because that's a moose god)

Mr. Goblin
- I take what I said about -Grendel's entry as Best Sketch. -Grendel's sketch was amazing indeed but Mr. Goblin's entry is LEGENDARY. My favorite entry.

Murlocologist
- first glance I thought the hammer guy slayed the monster guy XD

Naze
- too SCALY for me

~Nightmare
- when Ao Shin and Vel'koz (both are League of Legends champions) had a child...

San
-
85c7cc66b7331d109d16d24e58f1363a.jpg

stein123
- my brain can't seem to comprehend the image (TOO CONFUSING)
Well, It's nice, tho it's a bit confusing.

UgoUgo
- People with trypophobia(don't google it and look at the images, I'm warning you) gonna hate this one.

Windrunner29
- Village : "dat ass"

xYours Trulyx
- Firelord? What happened to you?

Note: please don't take my reactions seriously(if it offends you)

anyways, Goodluck to the Participants :D

Just a general question: Unfortunately I missed this contest (had a friendly, rolled-up earth giant holding glowing fieries in his hand in my mind) ... how often do these concept art contests take place?

I can't speak generally but I usually host one or two, sometimes three(if time allows it) contests a year. Reason being that the theme discussions/polls take quite some time and then the overall contest plus results eat a bunch.

We've recently just relaunched this type of contest. As you may have seen, it is uncertain how often this type will take place.
I am more than eager to answer further questions you may have regarding this topic.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Boy, this is tough; a crazy boat-load of really impressive entries, all around.

I think my vote would quite easily go to Mr. Goblin (simply... ahh), with MarcosDAB & a few others as runner-up... But for me, "Concept Art" is specifically non-colored, non-rendered line-art... For that, -Grendel would take the victory (dude, man, just dude).

What to do?...

To make sure that you vote with your head and not your heart all the time. That and being more responsible.
That's... My line? Given more than 3-5 options, voting for only one to be "DA BEST" means you're pretty much stuck voting off-the-cuff, 'by your heart'; being able to give multiple votes (or even better, preferential voting) means you gave some thought into the various pros & cons of all the entries, 'by your head'.

Boy, this is tough; a crazy boat-load of really impressive entries, all around.

I think my vote would quite easily go to Mr. Goblin (simply... ahh), with MarcosDAB & a few others as runner-up... But for me, "Concept Art" is specifically non-colored, non-rendered line-art... For that, -Grendel would take the victory (dude, man, just dude).

What to do?....

First, well THANKS!

Second... even concept-artist like me know there's no clear disctinction between concept-art and illustration... Technically, there is none. The distinction happens when people look at your drawing and go = let's reproducce that for our medium!

Boum, as simple as that, your illustration became a concept-art.

Now technically, the more ''details'' you add in your drawing more info you give away.= the mood, the texture of the armour piece for exemple, scars (oh he's a fighter?) rune paterns (he's a patriot of his own background) etc.

^

That's pretty much it. very philosophical.

Level 36
But for me, "Concept Art" is specifically non-colored, non-rendered line-art...

I won't claim to be an expert, but isn't that generally just labelled "Line-art"?
Concept art, like G said, is more than that in my opinion. And I don't think that
just because someone is skilled with photoshop and uses it well it should be held
against them. Art is art, whether with pencil or paper or in photoshop, as long as
it's hand-drawn there shouldn't be any segregation.

Level 14
I can't speak generally but I usually host one or two, sometimes three(if time allows it) contests a year. I am more than eager to answer further questions you may have regarding this topic.

No further questions for now, sry! But good to hear that there will be some more in the future. I will defenitely keep an eye out for the next one, hopefully being able to participate.

Reason being that the theme discussions/polls take quite some time and then the overall contest plus results eat a bunch.

Seriously, thanks for doing all this work!

We've recently just relaunched this type of contest. As you may have seen, it is uncertain how often this type will take place.

Wait, do you mean, that you are literally hosting a new drawing contest? I can't find the thread :O

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Mr. Goblin said:
First, well THANKS!
No problem. Your art was already impressive last you were here, and you have only gained greater skill. I was particularly impressed with how you blended a variety of sources to create a truly unique beast (in what I consider to be the ideal manifestation of "creativity")

Mr. Goblin said:
Second... even concept-artist like me know there's no clear disctinction between concept-art and illustration... Technically, there is none. The distinction happens when people look at your drawing and go = let's reproducce that for our medium!

Boum, as simple as that, your illustration became a concept-art.

Now technically, the more ''details'' you add in your drawing more info you give away.= the mood, the texture of the armour piece for exemple, scars (oh he's a fighter?) rune paterns (he's a patriot of his own background) etc.

^

That's pretty much it. very philosophical.

Really?? How odd; I had no idea the demarcation was that loose & undefined. (Though I guess I should've expected as much from you artistés, *sniff* :p)

In that case, my vote is cast. (and don't worry, I eat up 'philosophic' stuff)

...And I don't think that
just because someone is skilled with photoshop and uses it well it should be held
against them. Art is art, whether with pencil or paper or in photoshop, as long as
it's hand-drawn there shouldn't be any segregation.
Sure, no, whatever works. And if these things are just generic "Art" Contests, testing a contestant's artistic abilities in any medium, then that's cool.

(This is something I'll dig more into in a series of Site-themed Polls & Discussions, but in short) I'm just a big believer in Contests being precise with their focus & to be exact about "what is being (con)tested". If we hold a modeling Contest with no other restrictions, people should be free to use Milkshape or Magos or Warshape or 3dsmax & be judged equally... But the quality of their texture, or the design of their test map, those are all extraneous and shouldn't count (in fact, they should not be allowed to count).

Similarly, if we had an art Contest focused on "black&white line-drawing" (as I erroneously considered this to be), contestants who went "above and beyond" by coloring & shading & such are sort of "cheating" with their (above & beyond the scope of the Contest) skills. A "painting" art Contest should feature only paints, a "digital art" art Contest should feature only digital art, etc.

But if, as is the case here, it is simply "make whatever (thematic) art, with whatever medium" art Contest; then I stand corrected, as aforementioned. : )

Level 23
WOW, a lot of great entries here...

I'd like to vote for a bunch of them (Marcos, Mr. Goblin, Grendel... but since I can't... my vote goes to Mr Goblin.

There's honestly a lot of great entries there (Like the one with the elephant footwear. Love that one too) but most of them just doesn't really give off the "giant" feel. Without the extra details surrounding the character, they might not look giant at all. Mr. Goblin's concept just gives off that final boss feeling. Huge hulking creature floating around in the center of the arena.

Also, isn't crabas_sakti's entry the frost giant from Kingdom Hearts? I haven't actually played the game so I might be wrong, but I swear i've seen that before somewhere... From XGM I think... or from Chaos Realm... It was a RIP from another game.. (I haven't read the whole thread so you guys might've already discussed this)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Disney's Hercules, man! :p

//EDIT: Also, special mention goes out to the elephant-footwear guy; I showed my wife all the entries to explain to her my issue with "concept" art, and she liked that one the most. : ) So consider yourself "ghost-voted", man.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40

From me.
Your drawing style seem to be a perfect fit for my eyes, I doubt it's a coincidence that I like most if not all your icons.

I don't get the hype around mr.goblin's entry.
Sure it's good (amazing actually), but it's not THAT one sided, some other entries are roughly at the same level to me. (it should be said that I am not a great judge of art so that may be the reason for that) To me Marcos had a more clean style which I preferred.
It's.. let's say weird that so few like other drawing styles.

Reactions: San
Status
Not open for further replies.