Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Concept Art Contest #9 - Poll

Discussion in 'Poll Depository' started by Mr.Goblin, Aug 31, 2016.

?

Who shall be crowned winner of this contest?

Poll closed Oct 1, 2016.
  1. Mr.Goblin

30.4%
  2. GunSlinger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Edge45

13.0%
  4. NightStalker06698

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. HappyCockroach

4.3%
  6. San

6.5%
  7. deepstrasz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. TheKurt009

30.4%
  9. Flyphor

4.3%
  10. Naze

10.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Image is courtesy of Clint Langley.

Overwhelming Odds
    Contestants are to create a group of people or a single character faced with insurmountable odds or overwhelming numbers of enemies. For example, a knight vs a demon, a squad of marines vs a swarm. Despite their/his oncoming death, "these/this hero/es" faced it with valor and courage, despising fear as it stares at their/his eyes.

[​IMG]
    • Each user can only vote once in the poll.
    • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
    • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
    • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
    [​IMG]

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon. Also the chance of getting a unique thematic rank icon done specifically regarding preference.
      • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
      • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon
    [​IMG]

• Each judge will receive 5 reputation points.
    [​IMG]
    Theme Does the artist take advantage of the theme, or is the vision unfitting? /10%
    Execution Does the artist display the design in an effective manner, or is it hard to tell what is what? Are artistic techniques used effectively to make the character interesting, or does the style deteriorate the concept? Is the appearance of the design objectively pleasing, or is it of low quality? /25%
    Concept Does the design offer a new creative approach, or is it generic and cliché? Does it have character, or is it just another boring design? Does the design make sense and fit the description, or is it necessary to read the title to understand? /40%
    Realism Does the design balance, or are the proportions impractical? Is the anatomy or construction correct, does it allow the character to move as it should, or is functionality disregarded entirely? /25%

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
    [​IMG]
    Contestant Entry
    Mr.Goblin Click
    GunSlinger Click
    Edge45 Click
    HappyCockroach Click
    San Click
    deepstrasz Click
    TheKurt009 Click
    Flyphor Click
    Naze Click

[​IMG]
    Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. Kazeon

Kazeon

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Oh my, why am I on the poll? It's just a wip, not finished yet...

Most entries look very fantastic, and fancy. But I don't feel anything "odd" about them, maybe because I often saw similar occurrences in games and some movies. I find San's entry is the oddest one (in a good way of course), very nice concept, very nicely done.

3. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    compare to the other one who only sudmited WIPs you were the only one who didn't specify you wanted to be out of the competition. :S

4. Kazeon

Kazeon

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I thought saying that it's only WIP is enough. My bad then...

5. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh yes! Thanks to all the people that participated in the contest and it was fun! I really thank @Mr.Goblin for extending the deadline as I was able to finish it in time, although not to my initial concept :)

6. San

San

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    The Kurt, I thought we can't vote for ourself ? :eek:

7. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

Resources:
    Resources:
    We can't? I casted my vote before reading the terms though

8. Edge45

Edge45

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I voted for HappyCockroach,
    Even though its greyscaled, just... lmao :D

9. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    another contest where mr.goblin is, for me, one of two in contention for deserving my vote.

and just like the last one, while i can easily say his work is on another level in terms of polish, detail, composition etc. (i.e. he wins in execution and realism categories), another entry stole my vote via its concept (and it also, imo, embodied the theme slightly better). gj kurt

didn't know the hive still had so many damn good artists tho, respect to all entrants.

10. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

Resources:
    Resources:
    that was...
    actually that was the first time i've been complemented like that. I've never joined contests because i thought i wasn't good enough and it won't be worth to put up.
    All the learning i have done have been building up to this moment, and i'm already proud to just even be joining this contest. You guys don't know how special it was for me to even join haha!
    back then in 2011-2013 i only wished to join but now? haha daaamn i'm happy

11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    WHAAAT!? I was included as a participant!? But...

So, yeah, my vote goes to Naze (it has pretty much everything: lights, shadows, creatures and whatnot except realistically looking people). I really wanted to go with Mr. Goblin (the water ripple and reflection and the scared look) but parts of the main image were just left sketchy. TheKurt009's has too much ocean rain and the main idea is pretty much cliche.

Please get me out of the contest. I only tried to stir interest. That entry cannot be taken seriously, not even if it were finished.

12. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    hey look, even if you don't think you'll get votes, that doesn't mean your drawing doesn'T deserve to be here. + concept-art competitions are a great way to get free critiques from people even if it only goes through the judging.

13. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you for the vote deepstrasz! However I think my entry has plenty of spaces looking sketchy if you look closely. Just kidding you don't need to look closely they can be clearly seen from afar lol.

/\ that.

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    True, I would appreciate that if I at least have had the decency to finish it.

15. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    @TheKurt009 always read the rule-set of contest threads before delving straight in. It is much better for you and for everyone else. :]
    Your vote, as we do for first instance, will be ignored. But know this, second time it happens, we won't take it lightly, so do try to avoid doing it in the future.

@deepstrasz that's alright. We're not becoming more skilled by each hour. It takes a lot of time to improve and notice the mistakes that we're making in the process. For now, I think it's best to leave it and instead, focus on bettering yourself given the subsequent judging that will come.

16. GunSlinger

GunSlinger

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good luck to everyone! It's been a fun ride.

17. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    voted for flyphor, i like the concept and the style (even for a wip), i hope to see it finished soon.

Also, i'm sorry for not doing an enty for the contest, i said i will participate but in the end i couldn't manage to make any sketch u_u (but i promise that for the next contest i will do my best!)

18. Idaero Ace

Idaero Ace

Resources:
    Resources:
    WHAAATT..... WHERE IS MY ENTRY?!?!!

jk i didnt make it lol

Hmmm... I also said this on previous contest and I didnt make it.

But next time I will make it from day 1 (if i remember my words here)

And I can be the judge, but i'm too scared for it. My observing and writing skillxz are suckzz. Also if i be the judge i will say "And the winner is Master Goblin!! He promised to give me 99999reps so i make him as the winner!"

19. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So dang, another great Concept Art Contest.

Among the "finished" ones (Mr. Goblin, Gunslinger, Edge45, TheKurt009, Naze), I think it's clear that Mr. Goblin burned down the barn, once again. Special mention to Edge45 (nice colors) & Naze (really creative interpretation), though.

Among the "unfinished" ones (just line-art, LIKE TRUE CONCEPT ART SHOULD BE D: ) (HappyCockroach, San, deepstrasz, Flyphor), San's had the most detail & was the most visually intriguing (HC's was quite creative). However, I really loved yours Flyphor; even unfinished it just looked like something I'd see coming out of Warcraft or some other fantasy. What you finished of the knight had some really schweet definite lines, and that ice/rock/etc golem thing bearing down on him looks positively menacing.

Thus, though it's clear Mr. Goblin owned face yet again, I am going to be contrary and vote for my favorite line-art, San.

Good job to all contestants!

20. When it comes to cruel art, I chose Naze.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.