• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Concept Art Contest #11 - Poll

Vote for the best entries!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.244360

concept%20art.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
1.png

kid_warrior_by_dntudesigner-d8rzchw.jpg

Image is courtesy of Tu Ngoc do

THE YOUNGEST (or) OLDEST WARRIOR

Create a unique warrior, very young or very old, NOT based on a narrative universe that already exists (Warcraft, Harry Potter, LoTR, etc.). The concept-art must portray one of the two different possibilities: Perhaps a cunning reckless padawan that became a warrior against all odds. Or, the old experienced force of nature that is the oldest warrior? Get wild with your ideas! Make an old space kung fu master or a young guerrilla children warrior - anything is possible! :)

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
    A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
  • Participating in the poll does not explicitly safe one from being disqualified.
  • Judges are not allowed to vote.
You are very welcome to make a statement when voting, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

entries.png

UserFinal Entries
ExarchClick
FlyphorClick
WildfireClick
ShidoClick
The LeaderClick
stein123Click
icewolf055Click
EgkantoClick
TraggeyClick
~NightmareClick
TheKurt009Click
KuzyaKaClick
ZethHolyBladeClick
MasterTrainerClick

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon
  • Judges: 5 reputation points

judges.png

• Mr.Goblin
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme
Does the artist take advantage of the theme, or is the vision unfitting?/10%

Execution
Does the artist display the design in an effective manner, or is it hard to tell what is what? Are artistic techniques used effectively to make the character interesting, or does the style deteriorate the concept? Is the appearance of the design objectively pleasing, or is it of low quality?/25%

Concept
Does the design offer a new creative approach, or is it generic and cliché? Does it have character, or is it just another boring design? Does the design make sense and fit the description, or is it necessary to read the title to understand?/40%

Realism
Does the design balance, or are the proportions impractical? Is the anatomy or construction correct, does it allow the character to move as it should, or is functionality disregarded entirely?/25%
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll. Users are able to vote for up to 4 entries, which is 1/3 of the total entries rounded to the smallest number.

Level 31
Alright, let's get into it.
KuzyaKa: Bo, The Little Warrior
My first thought like: " Dude, Pixar might need you because your entry take almost like one week is incredible. "
Because when i look at it, it did look like Pixar draw it (John Lasseter).​
When I look at Bo, he looked like you do not want to mess with :D. His facial expression look furious, the eye aiming at viewer like want to have war and you are in his little boy way.
Shading is okay, but it could be better if you still give some shade to his nose. His style of armor look cool but also wonder like this... That a huge belt for a child could handle o_O, Bo holding a claymore which is nicely well design as well.

Flyphor: Old Warrior
Before i said my thought, @Flyphor you need a WIP. Better post 2 of them before Mr Goblin won't judge your entry
Old man lost his leg in war having relax with his drink(I hope is hot tea). Sit in front of a small campfire with boiler on top cooking Tea :p.​
The drawing style pretty good, it's have some unique into it. Old man have a nice bombilla actually. He is kinda lacking shadow as well since background take around midnight.
I like the wood texture but color look weird a bit. Look like it was finish with wood preserver.
Clothes look very decent, very detailed from top to bottom. Have a nice gear for amputated leg with cool design. So far is a wonderful art you got here.

ZethHolyBlade: Armored Aelena
A Full-geared woman having mastery with a lot of weapon and a fearless personality.
Honestly is Youngest /Oldest Warrior, hit the middle have some problem for me o_O at least ?.​
But i still comment it anyway.
" She must be have fought a lot of wars" Aelena's scar from her face is kinda unwell, as you put too much lost some of beauty from her(It's a warrior, maybe is Ok).
Shading is well build, texture is pretty nice but it's rough. I like the cape as well.
The whole entry of your is well nice ^_^ and it show Aelena have a good characteristic can be shown to the viewer.
The Leader: Njor Sekk, the "Lone Eagle"
This old warrior holding his helmet and his sword, in the minute i thought he is holding a golem head lmao.​
The Leader have his own unique drawing so i will try to give a look. His face has a good details on those wrinkle and his hair also did pretty good.
Shading is fine, look real :D. But some red part in that entry lacking it. Is okay if you didn't add it.
Njor's Armor looks fine, simplistic enough. You would add more color into it instead leave red with no design quite well.
Head or his helmet similar to his armor is fine but i don't know what with the bloods down helmet's eyes.
But... still an unique and well done entry. Great Job :p
Second: Tala, The Blind Swordsman
Okays, this is kinda cliche for me at least....
A Blind Swordman have a fighting stand.​
This remind me to Lee Sin that got fused with Master Yi...
Now your drawing skill kinda amazed and maybe you could improve more(i was trying Lmao)
He is not quite old for me but is hard to feel like he is blind or at least his facial expression.
Not much his clothing as well since is hard to recognize that Tala is shirtless muscular or he is wearing an armor.
I like the headband, look fit for a blind man here. But i can't felt like he is a blind swordsman.
It's still an okay entry for me, you can improve it MasterTrainer.
~Nightmare: Arya, Child of the Emerald Sun
Similar to Second, this hit Annie XD this time. But okay...
A young girl with a Scimitar. Charge the BATTLE XD​
Honestly this is a great child XD despite she is look like a fusion of Katarina, Fiora, Annie. (lmao)
I like her face tho, she is look fearless. Drop some shading and light in back also cool as well.
Her armor also well design and it's beautiful as well. Her cape look unique as well, I have a high rating on that one :D.
Her left hand is weird, holding a sword but feel like you hold it and stick with the wall.
But hey,
~Nightmare XD make such a great entry so i give a clap into it.
TheKurt009: The Resting Warrior
OMG, according to that guy shooting flare to see it. That A LARGE Warrior.
I felt like Kurt gotta win again XD.​
Now this remind me Chinese Underground Tomb, where you see like stone warrior.
This is a masterpiece into it. The visual was great as well, simplistic but amazing.
Shading also perfect as well, i got one step my respect XD on that. However, there some problem for me at least.
You know XD if this real, it could take more than hundred years right. So of course, there would be cracks on it. You can see the handle of sword look like got completed just right in time.
Regarding the material of it, times and times would have it to show The Resting Warrior is look ancient enough. Awesome entry?
Traggey: The Elder Destroyer (hence traggey don't have a name into it so i will put for myself)
This is pretty damn good concept actually, you got the apocalypse, you got one old and strong XD man from future (i think). And of course, a cool weapon.​
Now i can't actually see the face much, i do know that he picked older character and then attached that beard. The visual is really cool, face maybe small but if you zoomed in, you could see that he drawn him wrinkle around him well.
The background felt like he has destroyed the city/town and right bottom left you can see a dead body skeleton knowing there just chaos around.
I like the sword design as well, but it does concern me a bit that sword could be very heavy so i saw the arm and my thought like " Man, you have big hand but small head."
If you have a theme Apocalypse, that a winner. But i will go ahead give a great clap on that entry.
Exarch: Elder Knight (same as Traggey, he didn't name it)
I'm okay without the background (like Nightmare). But i have to said that is a nice angle for him.
Regarding that, he have a bit element from WoW.​
Since that was a WIP, i will try to think how it complete.
His armor was nicely detail, look very bulky and tough. I would love to see the sword have a better design since it kinda bland to me.
His face have some nice facial into it, old warrior just leave out pain so you would imagine that a face could be seen.
Shading part may not complete but Exarch did very good on it, would have been add more shading to his face.
Wildfire: Young Golem Warrior (again with no much name)
Everything is mortal, and so to rocks.
A simple golem in a small size holding a hammer and an axe. (It's that Muradin in a rock skin?)​
This is clever, picking golem in a youngest/oldest warrior is impressive. Rock depending on age would turn darker color. Sadly without any color due to WIP.
The rock around him is detailed pretty good. You might be good at drawing terrain in the later year XD.
The Hammer could be a bit bigger since golem have a strength regarding his age.
Have some shading a bit in both side of rock pieces.
I know kinda disappoint to look at it but i will find a better you XD in the future.
icewolf055: Entry(sorry guys, somebody give me a name for this)
A boy(or girl since i do not know O_O either it) with a big gauntlet
Seem unique enough...​
(Check your eye peep) Now i could see the background kinda okay..
Uhm... Shading is nice, it's smooth as well. It's a young entry with such a big gauntlet could be not much real since child might need a bigger arm.
Armor design is okay, you can add something more in both shoulder so he/she will look bulk enough.
I like his/her eye as well, charming enough for a child.
This a bit mess but i believe you can do way better XD. Just a bad timing or lacking spirit(Ok)

So who would I vote for ?
*drumroll*
I will go to Bo, the little warrior since this is Youngest/Oldest Warrior. There too many old entry but unique style O_O. But reason i vote for that one because this person did his entry in insane time that i was amazed. KuzyaKa maybe a newbie but that a child warrior that got a viewer admire for.
Now I can't review stein123 and Engkanto since is too incomplete for me to send a feedback.
Regarding that, I believe everybody has tried there best. I love that XD, this is what i need when i drawing stuff.
Good luck guys.

Last edited:
Level 2
Alright, let's get into it.
KuzyaKa: Bo, The Little Warrior
My first thought like: " Dude, Pixar might need you because your entry take almost like one week is incredible. "
Because when i look at it, it did look like Pixar draw it (John Lasseter).​
When I look at Bo, he looked like you do not want to mess with :D. His facial expression look furious, the eye aiming at viewer like want to have war and you are in his little boy way.
Shading is okay, but it could be better if you still give some shade to his nose. His style of armor look cool but also wonder like this... That a huge belt for a child could handle o_O, Bo holding a claymore which is nicely well design as well.

Flyphor: Old Warrior
Before i said my thought, @Flyphor you need a WIP. Better post 2 of them before Mr Goblin won't judge your entry
Old man lost his leg in war having relax with his drink(I hope is hot tea). Sit in front of a small campfire with boiler on top cooking Tea :p.​
The drawing style pretty good, it's have some unique into it. Old man have a nice bombilla actually. He is kinda lacking shadow as well since background take around midnight.
I like the wood texture but color look weird a bit. Look like it was finish with wood preserver.
Clothes look very decent, very detailed from top to bottom. Have a nice gear for amputated leg with cool design. So far is a wonderful art you got here.

ZethHolyBlade: Armored Aelena
A Full-geared woman having mastery with a lot of weapon and a fearless personality.
Honestly is Youngest /Oldest Warrior, hit the middle have some problem for me o_O at least ?.​
But i still comment it anyway.
" She must be have fought a lot of wars" Aelena's scar from her face is kinda unwell, as you put too much lost some of beauty from her(It's a warrior, maybe is Ok).
Shading is well build, texture is pretty nice but it's rough. I like the cape as well.
The whole entry of your is well nice ^_^ and it show Aelena have a good characteristic can be shown to the viewer.
The Leader: Njor Sekk, the "Lone Eagle"
This old warrior holding his helmet and his sword, in the minute i thought he is holding a golem head lmao.​
The Leader have his own unique drawing so i will try to give a look. His face has a good details on those wrinkle and his hair also did pretty good.
Shading is fine, look real :D. But some red part in that entry lacking it. Is okay if you didn't add it.
Njor's Armor looks fine, simplistic enough. You would add more color into it instead leave red with no design quite well.
Head or his helmet similar to his armor is fine but i don't know what with the bloods down helmet's eyes.
But... still an unique and well done entry. Great Job :p
Second: Tala, The Blind Swordsman
Okays, this is kinda cliche for me at least....
A Blind Swordman have a fighting stand.​
This remind me to Lee Sin that got fused with Master Yi...
Now your drawing skill kinda amazed and maybe you could improve more(i was trying Lmao)
He is not quite old for me but is hard to feel like he is blind or at least his facial expression.
Not much his clothing as well since is hard to recognize that Tala is shirtless muscular or he is wearing an armor.
I like the headband, look fit for a blind man here. But i can't felt like he is a blind swordsman.
It's still an okay entry for me, you can improve it MasterTrainer.
~Nightmare: Arya, Child of the Emerald Sun
Similar to Second, this hit Annie XD this time. But okay...
A young girl with a Scimitar. Charge the BATTLE XD​
Honestly this is a great child XD despite she is look like a fusion of Katarina, Fiora, Annie. (lmao)
I like her face tho, she is look fearless. Drop some shading and light in back also cool as well.
Her armor also well design and it's beautiful as well. Her cape look unique as well, I have a high rating on that one :D.
Her left hand is weird, holding a sword but feel like you hold it and stick with the wall.
But hey,
~Nightmare XD make such a great entry so i give a clap into it.
TheKurt009: The Resting Warrior
OMG, according to that guy shooting flare to see it. That A LARGE Warrior.
I felt like Kurt gotta win again XD.​
Now this remind me Chinese Underground Tomb, where you see like stone warrior.
This is a masterpiece into it. The visual was great as well, simplistic but amazing.
Shading also perfect as well, i got one step my respect XD on that. However, there some problem for me at least.
You know XD if this real, it could take more than hundred years right. So of course, there would be cracks on it. You can see the handle of sword look like got completed just right in time.
Regarding the material of it, times and times would have it to show The Resting Warrior is look ancient enough. Awesome entry?
Traggey: The Elder Destroyer (hence traggey don't have a name into it so i will put for myself)
This is pretty damn good concept actually, you got the apocalypse, you got one old and strong XD man from future (i think). And of course, a cool weapon.​
Now i can't actually see the face much, i do know that he picked older character and then attached that beard. The visual is really cool, face maybe small but if you zoomed in, you could see that he drawn him wrinkle around him well.
The background felt like he has destroyed the city/town and right bottom left you can see a dead body skeleton knowing there just chaos around.
I like the sword design as well, but it does concern me a bit that sword could be very heavy so i saw the arm and my thought like " Man, you have big hand but small head."
If you have a theme Apocalypse, that a winner. But i will go ahead give a great clap on that entry.
Exarch: Elder Knight (same as Traggey, he didn't name it)
I'm okay without the background (like Nightmare). But i have to said that is a nice angle for him.
Regarding that, he have a bit element from WoW.​
Since that was a WIP, i will try to think how it complete.
His armor was nicely detail, look very bulky and tough. I would love to see the sword have a better design since it kinda bland to me.
His face have some nice facial into it, old warrior just leave out pain so you would imagine that a face could be seen.
Shading part may not complete but Exarch did very good on it, would have been add more shading to his face.
Wildfire: Young Golem Warrior (again with no much name)
Everything is mortal, and so to rocks.
A simple golem in a small size holding a hammer and an axe. (It's that Muradin in a rock skin?)​
This is clever, picking golem in a youngest/oldest warrior is impressive. Rock depending on age would turn darker color. Sadly without any color due to WIP.
The rock around him is detailed pretty good. You might be good at drawing terrain in the later year XD.
The Hammer could be a bit bigger since golem have a strength regarding his age.
Have some shading a bit in both side of rock pieces.
I know kinda disappoint to look at it but i will find a better you XD in the future.
icewolf055: Entry(sorry guys, somebody give me a name for this)
A boy(or girl since i do not know O_O either it) with a big gauntlet
Seem unique enough...​
(Check your eye peep) Now i could see the background kinda okay..
Uhm... Shading is nice, it's smooth as well. It's a young entry with such a big gauntlet could be not much real since child might need a bigger arm.
Armor design is okay, you can add something more in both shoulder so he/she will look bulk enough.
I like his/her eye as well, charming enough for a child.
This a bit mess but i believe you can do way better XD. Just a bad timing or lacking spirit(Ok)

So who would I vote for ?
*drumroll*
I will go to Bo, the little warrior since this is Youngest/Oldest Warrior. There too many old entry but unique style O_O. But reason i vote for that one because this person did his entry in insane time that i was amazed. KuzyaKa maybe a newbie but that a child warrior that got a viewer admire for.
Now I can't review stein123 and Engkanto since is too incomplete for me to send a feedback.
Regarding that, I believe everybody has tried there best. I love that XD, this is what i need when i drawing stuff.
Good luck guys.

Sorry, I don't read all the rules before, so I'm posting the WIPs now. The lineart and the base colors.

Attachments

• Old WarriorWIP2.jpg
    Old WarriorWIP2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 268
  • Old WarriorWIP3.jpg
    Old WarriorWIP3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 270
  • Old WarriorWIP3.jpg
    Old WarriorWIP3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 247
Level 5
Oh i clicked on myself for fun and was not going to send, the moderator can do something about this?

Level 11
I know it's late for that, but just wanted to share this and tell you guys that I did some changes to my character's face shortly after the event ended (after addressing some constructive criticism from a friend) :D

thennow-png.297060

(Gave her a queilo/rhinoplasty)

Also..

@Shido, I'm glad to hear it, your entry is also cool:D
but I voted for @~Nightmare and @ZethHolyblade

Thank you :D, your baby warrior was also among the artworks I enjoyed most.

Level 31
I know it's late for that, but just wanted to share this and tell you guys that I did some changes to my character's face shortly after the event ended (after addressing some constructive criticism from a friend) :D

thennow-png.297060

(Gave her a queilo/rhinoplasty)

Also..

Thank you :D, your baby warrior was also among the artworks I enjoyed most.
Wait what, you edit your entry AFTER contest is over ?

@Mr.Goblin .... Do I even allow XD to ... edit entry after it ?

:eek::eek:

Level 11
Wait what, you edit your entry AFTER contest is over ?

@Mr.Goblin .... Do I even allow XD to ... edit entry after it ?

:eek::eek:

No, don't misinterpret what I said.

I edited the face (as in improve) in the upload present at my deviantart page, not the one for the contest here at hive.

I'm simply sharing a comparison of both images (old=hive /contest version) where you'll see the tiny changes.

I'm participating with the non-improved version.

Level 31
No, don't misinterpret what I said.

I edited the face (as in improve) in the upload present at my deviantart page, not the one for the contest here at hive.

I'm simply sharing a comparison of both images (old=hive /contest version) where you'll see the tiny changes.

I'm participating with the non-improved version.
Well okay, i kinda freakout right in the morning you said that make me O_O " Oh god, don't say he just commit his crime"

Because that actually a good entry but end up cheating around, i would be sad right now.

Sorry for misunderstanding XD

Last edited:
There are a lot of awesome entries and I'm actually regretting not entering this one.
My vote goes to @Exarch , his piece has amazing dynamics in the pose and correct anatomy, as well as a center of the composition that is the face of the character, while everything else is more sketchy and non-detailed, which helps direct the viewer's gaze. You could have played a bit more with the contrast in my opinion, for example brightening the leg and darkening the chest behind it would really make it pop and come forward, enhancing the perspecive. I think it could have turned out even better if you used a traditional material like graphite or charcoal instead, but a digital sketch does the job just as well. Awesome piece!

Level 28
The setting for not changing vote is on purpose, or? - because I accdently mis-casted one vote. ;D^^
I'm used to not create polls with the option of changing votes... I never thought about it, it's a common practice =P
If you feel like I shouldn't count the vote, just tell me and then I won't count it when calculating the results (just like how we do with self voting)

Level 9
There are a lot of awesome entries and I'm actually regretting not entering this one.
My vote goes to @Exarch , his piece has amazing dynamics in the pose and correct anatomy, as well as a center of the composition that is the face of the character, while everything else is more sketchy and non-detailed, which helps direct the viewer's gaze. You could have played a bit more with the contrast in my opinion, for example brightening the leg and darkening the chest behind it would really make it pop and come forward, enhancing the perspecive. I think it could have turned out even better if you used a traditional material like graphite or charcoal instead, but a digital sketch does the job just as well. Awesome piece!
Hey thanks mate! I was super amazed by the theme and really enjoyed it. However, i couldn't finish it.. i even forgot that we had a contest going on "life facts"
So as Mr.Goblin suggested.. i entered with my latest wip.
Good luck to everyone! I like all the entries i saw but will be back for casting my vote.. I can't observe them deep enough atm.
Long Live HIVE!

EDIT;
Voted for @TheKurt009 it's an amazing composition, there's so much to say about it but to keep it short.. I just like it!

I tried to finish mine off with the first chance i got and upload the entire video;
Not my best piece but Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
This contest's judging is laughable, extremely unrelieable and seemingly also not the first time with Concept Art. Late summer last year one already could get an other judge or replace judgement with only poll, if things just can't be done. I can understand some people feel joked.

Last edited:
Level 31
This contest's judging is laughable, extremely unrelieable and seemingly also not the first time with Concept Art. Late summer last year one already could get an other judge or replace judgement with only poll, if things just can't be done. I can understand some people feel joked.
Nah icy boy, i remember comeback my art here and laughing about: " wish i was better ". :D It's a one judge anyway and he is like working to a studio. But i'm wanna join another contest D: of this so... let's hope the best i guess..

Status
Not open for further replies.