1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Concept Art Contest #5 - Poll

Discussion in 'Poll Depository' started by Pyritie, Nov 26, 2010.

?

Vote for your favourite entry!

Poll closed Dec 10, 2010.
  1. dead-man-walking (Leviathan) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1754197-post449.html[/url]

1.5%
  2. Jaret (Zeus) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1753434-post419.html[/url]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. kola (Cyclops) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1753181-post418.html[/url]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. deepblade (Beast's Invocation) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1752900-post413.html[/url]

0.7%
  5. Tails96 (Kraken) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1752855-post412.html[/url]

13.3%
  6. Kimberly (Chimera) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1752335-post405.html[/url]

8.1%
  7. stefanstan95 (Zeus) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1748823-post386.html[/url]

0.7%
  8. 04gusigo (Inverse Sun) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1748136-post368.html[/url]

5.2%
  9. -Berz- (Odin, Huginn, & Muninn) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1747409-post366.html[/url]

3.0%
  10. shiiK (Phorcys) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1754163-post447.html[/url]

5.2%
  11. 67chrome (Cerberus) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1745855-post342.html[/url]

25.2%
  12. Wimbo125 (Custos Animarum (Keeper of Souls)) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1744954-post3

0.7%
  13. GhostThruster (Naga Loch Ness Monster) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1744706-post331.htm

0.7%
  14. Mr.Goblin (Leviathan) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1753780-post429.html[/url]

21.5%
  15. Dionesiist (Chiron) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1739683-post260.html[/url]

3.7%
  16. Pyramidhe@d (Will o' Wisp) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1736245-post218.html[/url]

8.1%
  17. Elainiel (Yurei) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1744196-post322.html[/url]

2.2%
  18. Krl70 (Dwarf) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1754530-post464.html[/url]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Zealon

Zealon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah there were many great entries, I'm surprised that Berz only has 4 votes, his was really good D:

2. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    that might explain it? :\

3. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Mr. Goblin, would you stop laughing at other contestants, please? Of course it's a concept art contest, but art is half of the deal. You can't pass an awesome concept with a few scratches and liens. And besides, Tails69's 'octopus' is actually a Kraken, and it has an island on top of it and whatnot, so it's more original than a simple octopus recreation. :v

4. -Berz-

-Berz-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Speaking of originality and reproductions, how come that there are two Leviathan entries? lol o_O

5. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm not laughing, and I belive my post clearly explained that these drawings are great.. I just think the members didn't took more than 2 minutes to think about their concept, compared to the rest who actually mixed more than 2 animals together and what not.. I find this answer from you as an insult, but I'll get over it because it seems you just miss-understood what I said (which is possible since I'm far from mastering english)

I belive you can, even tough it's not recommended, indeed you need the skills to represent what you had in mind, to give the idea of the textures and the biological structure, and we've all had this conversation already and I belive Shiik, Pyramidhead, Kimberly and I explained it well.

I simply didn't see the Island at all, I'm sorry, that gives a + for Tails69. But I would still wouldn't vote for him, and I'll tell you why on a private convo.

Now that have been said, to all the contestant and their entrys = You have some mad mojo skills in drawing :D, but I belive for next time, try to be a tad more creative.

6. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is what I mean by 'laughing about'. If I were one of those contestants, I'd be quiet offended. Besides, concept arts are not only about mixing animals, they're about originality and surreality as well, and a concept that looks like something out of this world without any... Animal parts or anything is a lot more original than 'zebra + rabbit + dragon' or whatever.

7. Jaret

Jaret

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I just have to say this:
    I was actually thinking that Mr.Goblin's entry would have like at least 40% of the whole amount of votes when I saw the WIP. I don't know why, but The WIP's actually a lot better than the finished product. I thought something epic will come out, but... meh.
    And for the Cerberus (67chrome), it would have gotten more votes if it was actually not that "Blurry".
    For Pyramidhe@d's entry, the Will o' Wisp, It was great. I like how you turned it into an undead, and still references to the original Wisps. Reminds me of those Fairies from Zelda as well, which are Wisps as well (I think).
    For Odin, Huginn, & Muninn (-Berz-), The quality of the "Textures" are awesome, but IT kinda looks too... Static. And the shadings a little off.
    For the Yurei (Elainiel), It does look a little "Stacked on" (If you know what I mean), and it would have worked a lot better if it was a "Scene drawing" contest, but your concept is pretty interesting. The "girl" could have been executed a little better, but the surrounding's just interesting as hell, and I especially loved the "Skeleton head" to the left-down corner... Great nonetheless.
    For the Chimera (Kimberly), I can say that that one was my fave. I loved how clean, sharp and at the same time smooth it is, but I know you could have done even better, since you say'd yourself it looked a little "plastic". IF you had more time, I'm sure your entry would have been on the 1st place.
    Tails96 (Kraken), your entry was pretty good, but the originality killed it for us. I don't know what a kraken has with the Norse mithology, but meh... It's pretty well executed... that's all.
    Dionesiist (That weird thing called Chiron), it was pretty original, and great. I loved it. I don't know how to give feedback to such great artwork, and I loved that you kept the "Shading" lines when drawing. Great job.
    Krl70 (Dwarf), I don't want to compare it to the rest, cause it doesn't have the rank they have, but... You need practice on the human anatomy, the Hands, when you zoom in, look realistic, but the body doesn't, and the legs would have looked better.
    dead-man-walking (Leviathan), same bullshit as mine why it didn't get much votes... not colored. It's nice, not too great, but decent. I liked your entry.
    kola (Cyclops), I don't understand why you don't have any votes... Your entry was fable-tastic (if that's a real word), Well, it indeed didn't look Extra Awesome, but it was sure really great. The shading was great, and the idea itself, And I loved especially the fingertips with the fire.
    deepblade (Beast's Invocation), I dislike the fact that you made the background black, but it's your opinion. I can see it's a dragon, the head, the arms, all... but below... God. My eyes are bleeding. But when you look at it long enough, you can see what it is. For all others, download the picture, and invert the colors.
    stefanstan95 (Zeus), you drew Zeus... Just like me. I like your Zeus a lot, since It looks like a man. Yes, the hand's a little small, but... I like it. The cloth could have been a little better, And I love, especially, the face.... AWESOME. THIS IS SPARTA.
    04gusigo (Inverse Sun), your Entry was the most creative and original, never would have thought someone drew a moon... oh, sun. It's clean and sharp, but doesn't get much votes since it's... well, a sun.
    shiiK (Phorcys), the wips didn't get my attention that much, but when I look at the finished product... God. It turned out great, and I don't know who "Phorcys" is, but... nice.
    Wimbo125 (Custos Animarum (Keeper of Souls)), this one was pretty interesting to me... Never did i saw something like this... and you did submit it in a really... weird way. but, the concept looks decent, but isn't original. A human with a skelet-head of some weird dinosaur animal. The hair's alright, and the anatomy does remind of humans.
    GhostThruster (Naga Loch Ness Monster), I'm surprised you didn't draw soemthing from Halo, but... Naga? What? But the monster looks like a dragon, and the face's great... Well, decent.
    DAMN IT! I Spent about 30 minutes on this. I'm sorry I can't give you much constructive criticism, but... Hope you don't mind the criticism.

8. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You basically says the same thing as me mate, and you are contradicting yourself..

Because, having a good understanding of animal biological structure and actually be able to mix them up so it's something diffrent = I belive that is being CREATIVE, you are talking about originality? Ever seen a Zebra+rabbit+dragon or whatever? ....NO YOU HAVEN'T and if it is well executed, I belive this is being highly original, because the artist actually mixed all these things together and made them work together....

And once again, to get done with this Idea of ''being original'' I belive a Huge octopus with an island on it's back is being ''original'' but it is less original than actually mixing a lightbug with a fairy, that you can see through it's skin, cause it reveals the skeleton. With a hearth that is actually glowing, and adding a Big smile full of teeth just to bring the creepyness to up an other level.
    Or, doing a muscled human body with a head that is a mix between someshort of fish and a tiger with human features, mixed with an armor that have been 100% tought by the artist, and all that, with a lower body part made out of a strong black ''lobster thingy''.

Now, your choice is your choice, you think Tail69 did a great job? I think so too.. I just love the other entries more because: TO ME they seemed more original.

9. Tails96

Tails96

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, two things: first, there is kraken in norse "legends" (or something like that). And in the original story there is also an island.
    AND second: I am sorry, the concept was not the ,most original, but when you have two days until deadline and still nothing, well, concept won't be the most important thing for you. But if for you (I mean Mr.Goblin) the concept is more important, well, your opinion is your opinion.

Anyway, your entry is better than mine, but... how much time did you work on it? (More than 2-3 hours, I suppose)

10. Hjorleif

Hjorleif

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not the most important to you? You do realize that it was a CONCEPT ART contest, right? That was the only point to the whole thing.

A lot of you are missing the point and so far the only person that has made any sense at all, has been Mr. Goblin. The contest was about concept, which is originality. Not only was the Kraken concept inaccurate but it hardly looks like an island is on top of it. It's a great picture, I agree, but I see no concept within it.

Just my two cents.

11. Tails96

Tails96

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, yup, but it is not only concept, it is also ART. I know that the basic concept is important, I was trying to tell that If you have to do your picture in a few hours, you draw the first (normal) thing that gets into your mind.

I thin that a kraken is more original than a minotaur or a centaur, anyway.

12. Hemske

Hemske

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    You guys need to stop dramatize this. The theme of this contest has been a bit diffuse and somewhat confusing.

First of, Debode, you got your points, and I would be offended as well if someone said I didn't take my time with my concept if I actually spend a lot of time on it.
    But Mr.Goblin is right in the fact that many of the submissions aren't even close to what concept art should look like, man, even my own submission isn't that good concept art.

Mr.Goblin, you got your points as well. This is a concept art contest, and the submissions should be very original and in most cases better structured (show the creature from different angles and such). But to be honest, (barely) none of the submissions are real concept art. So you have to overlook it. Since you are seeing this way to professional. You are the most right (I give you that), but this is The Hive Workshop, not some awesome concept art site. So your criterias can't be fulfilled. (Not in this contest at least)

The looks and quality of the artwork is very important in this contest, since the users get to vote, and they will only vote for which submissions is looking most appealing, (that actually pisses me off, since this is about the concept, not the artwork. Proper judges, like Mr.Goblin, should have just judged this, since the community purges the purpose of a contest like this) and this is what Debode sees and tries to say to you Mr.goblin. Both of you guys are actually saying the same things, just in different and confusing ways.

I would recommend Mr.Goblin to create a concept art competition, a proper one, since this is more or less just a contest about who has done the art with most quality in it, and the concept theme dissapears more or less.
    I would for sure join it as well.

In conclusion, this was a quite bad structured contest. With a very diffuse theme.
    But I hope the judges judge as they should, based on the concept and not on the art so much.
    If they do, this contest might be successful.

And no matter what, if people's submissions are bad art or bad concept, most of them did probably have fun. And that is what is most important, isn't it? :)

13. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's what I mean. :p I want the whole creature; the whole concept to be thought out by the artist, not by Mother Nature and then mixed up by the artist. Anyways, I think we both have the same idea in our minds, and that is, that people SHOULD be more original than just 'Centaur', 'Kraken', 'Minotaur' etc. But I'm just saying you shouldn't really insult people because you think their concept is unoriginal, imagine someone would say your Leviathan is unoriginal because it's a mix of a whale and a crocodile or something like that. That wouldn't be very nice now would it?

14. shiiK

shiiK

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I don't know about that, Debode, if it was, in fact, just a mix of a whale and a crocodile, and you said it was unoriginal because of that, I would take that as constructive criticism - if it was my artwork, I can't speak for Mr.Goblin - and if I had time, I'd try to change it so that it would be less obvious. Either way, a whale and a crocodile together is still original, because there is nothing like it (afaik). Originality isn't a matter of yes or no, it's a scale, and the way I see it, there is no maximum, only a minimum. The minimum being an exact replica of something that has already been done.

Either way, I have to concur with Mr.Goblin's statement; there are few concepts here that are adequately original. For instance, drawing Zeus in the shape of a regular human and some armour, is no more original than drawing any warrior (no offence intended). If this contest was about designing armour, then perhaps it would be original, but the way I see it, this was all about taking a mythological story about a creature or a location, and make an original concept out of it - breath some new life into ancient legends. I do realize that it didn't state that, black on white, in the theme description, and that people might've misunderstood (or I've misunderstood the theme I suggested myself.. well, I didn't clarify that when I suggested it, because I thought it'd be obvious, so I'll take the blame for that) and thought it was all about drawing something cool and mythological, and that's what most of the voters will consider when they vote, anyway. That would not be a concept art contest, though, because you're just drawing something that already has a concept. You're not bringing something new to the table. I'm sorry if that comes off as harsh criticism to some of you, but I really feel it has to be said.

Some of us have reinvented, and some of us only recreated. I wish we all would've reinvented, because that's what concept art is, and it's a lot more interesting. Either way, I still wish everybody good luck, and I look forward to hear the judging. I'm going to vote for Pyramidhe@d, because he's getting too few votes and I like his concept a lot. I'd like to add an honourable mention to Mr.Goblin and Kimberly as well, those are excellent concepts, Pyramidhe@d just pulled the longest straw in my opinion.

15. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I belive everything have been settled, and I have to say, I'm sorry for those who felt insulted. That wasn't my entention, but I belive it came out anyway, even tought I didn't ment too. ( Just like when you say to a girl she's pretty, and she's pissed at you because she thinks she doesn't look pretty the other days)

Anyway... thanks all for joining in our friendly debade about ''concept art'' <3
    and to conclude on that...

Nothing... like it? Ohhh really :D
    [​IMG]

16. Tails96

Tails96

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    lol Well, you guys are right, now I know how important is the concept for some people.
    But there is still a problem... it isn't very easy to create an original concept which is also related with mythology. If you want to create a mythologycal creature, you have to use other people's concepts, too (even if they lived 1000 years ago). If you only use your imagination, what's mythology in it?
    Anyway, I hope that everything you (Mr.Goblin) said was constructive criticism.

17. Fjury

Fjury

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I fully agree with you. It was a difficult decission, but Tails96 earned my vote. :>

18. XenoStalker

XenoStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The Chimera was my favorite. The kraken is cool. Some were meh.

Overall, I think the 1st place piece is a bit flat from a technical view, but the small details are pretty awesome.

Cerberus is pretty awesome as well..

I would have participated but... theme... bleh..

19. Fjury

Fjury

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Indeed.

20. naga

naga

Resources:
    Resources:
    my vote goes to Mr Goblin