• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

TWIF - Custom Chat Icon Contest #1 - Concept Art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hum gratz Enjoy... but I only been judged by 2 judges.. instead of 3.. now the math you did is correct... altough!

If I had a high rank from the last judge (that didn't judge me) I might have won..
I kind of hate doing this... but although I'm simply asking for a faire judging D:

seriously guys.. what the fuck is wrong with you?

You don't even know what's a concept art..
and now you don't even know how to judge fairly.. :/

Hum gratz Enjoy... but I only been judged by 2 judges.. instead of 3.. now the math you did is correct... altough!

If I had a high rank from the last judge (that didn't judge me) I might have won..
I kind of hate doing this... but although I'm simply asking for a faire judging D:

just make grey nightmare do the judging for mr goblin
seriously guys.. what the fuck is wrong with you?

You don't even know what's a concept art..
and now you don't even know how to judge fairly.. :/
funny you should say that cos i was thinking that your entry was more of a final product than a concept art

EDIT: WAIT. ENJOY? But but- IT'S A TAUREN DEATH KNIGHT.

God damnit I wont bother. :<

(It's not a fucking 'draw something awesome for me please' contest it's a concept art contest! It's not 'the most awesome and detailed drawing wins', it's 'the best idea behind the drawing wins, even if it looks like crap')

(TAUREN DEATH KNIGHTS EXIST IN WOW AND AS SUCH IT IS NOT SOMETHING UNIQUE\ORIGINAL\ETC)

and how is that any different from Mr Goblin drawing/sculpt, which basically is a shaman? (dont act surprised. you know it and i know it) and yet so far, all youve been doing is to support mr.Goblin because of how awesome his entry was.
It's not 'the most awesome and detailed drawing wins'

Level 31
just make grey nightmare do the judging for mr goblin

funny you should say that cos i was thinking that your entry was more of a final product than a concept art

and how is that any different from Mr Goblin drawing/sculpt, which basically is a shaman? (dont act surprised. you know it and i know it) and yet so far, all youve been doing is to support mr.Goblin because of how awesome his entry was.

Totaly agree.
Also, it's not because the name is Tauren Death Knight that he can't be a tauren warrior or hero or whatever.

Level 48
Enjoy did in fact concept a death knight tauren. Without even giving it a backstory or anything.

Mr.Goblin have made the 'next generation' Shaman of the Horde. He added a backstory explaining how, since Garrosh took over(I think?), the Shamans became more like bestial warriors capable of taking the aspect of a Wolf Spirit with which they connect. They are no longer spellcasters but actually warriors, using the speed and agility of a Wolf and the power and strength of an Orc.

Or at least I think I can recall that was the backstory. Mine and Goblin's point was that TWIF's contest judged the quality of the art more than the concept behind it, and more than so, TWIF pretty much thought everyone was gonna make a digital\traditional drawing. Bet he didn't ever even expect someone to make a sculpture, or a 3D model, even though those are still acceptable forms of concept art.

Level 20
At TWIF's request I'm more than happy to judge Mr. Goblin's but it's not a decision I can make - As it's potentially changing the winner of another person's contest.

However I did notice TWIF... One of the rules that all WoW content was 'unacceptable' - now I didn't realise till now that a Tauren death knight was in WoW (as I've never played it) but I think this is an issue that needs addressing.

"No WoW-Related Artwork will be Evaluated."

(sorry can't use real quotes, pain to do on iPods, but thats in the main post)

Level 26
UH-oh, if no Wow content is allowed, then not only is enjoy disqualified, but so is mr.goblin, kimberly, nara, wherewolf, ike_ike, kola and supertoinkz

you know, seeing as how there are tauren, deathknights, shaman, trolls, dranei, priests, blood elves, demons, and zeppelins in WoW.

soo... i guess that means that pyramidhe@d, shiik and morbid automatically win huh?

Awesome!
Another successful contest complete

Level 48

Enjoy made a WoW-based concept. It's a 100% copy from WoW. It wears plate armor, has blue glowing eyes, is a tauren and is a death knight.
There are no Tauren Death Knights in WC3, WC2, WC1.
Thus it's purely WoW content.

Mr.Goblin made an Orcish Shaman. It existed in WC3, and in lore far before WoW. More than so he completely changed the concept while(probably purposefully) leaving about the same artistic design as in WC3.

Kimberly made something completely new. I never saw a Jungle Troll 'Boar Master' in WoW. I don't even know what the hell it is.

The same applies to the rest of the people you mentioned.

While I don't think Enjoy should be disqualified, I do think Grey Nightmare should judge Mr.Goblin's entry and this thing can get over with.

106cx8i.png

picture-10.png

preview

as you can see, WoW tauren deathknights are characterised by massive shoulders and shoulder pads, big stumpy hooves and massive hunchback and etc etc etc.
enjoy's, however, has none of the above features. the only similarity is that enjoy happened to use the colour blue. and last time i check the colour blue is not an intellectual property of blizzard.
so i think you are rather insulting her when you say its 100% from WoW. saying that its purely WoW content is utter crap.

just get mr.Goblin's judging done asap.

God... can I at least say... all the drama is caused by this contest and not my the contestant? at least let's face it... and it's normal, since it's not a regular hive contest that have been approuved by the contest moderators.

Now... I'm just asking for equality, because if not it quite suck for me... or any other contestant that would be in my position.

Sooo... I sugest simply = rather redo all the math for the contest and not include Grey's judging, or simply make him rate my freaking concept! for the sake of justice.

If Enjoy wins after that, than Awesome! She would have win fairly!
If She doesn't,,, sucks to be you, you will have to tell her she didn't winned after all even tough you said so...

I seriously don't care about winning... I'm more concerned about that failure at making a contest than anything else about it.

Level 48
Pyramidhe@d, again, I'm not saying Enjoy should be disqualified. On the contrary in fact. I do not care about the winner and it's NOTHING personal against enjoy. The problem is the judging. It's really unfair towards Mr.Goblin as it is and MUST be changed.

As concept art, enjoy's art IS in fact something we've all(most of us) seen before. I'm not saying other contestants' art is not. And I do not think anyone has to be disqualified. I'm just saying, rate Mr.Goblin's entry or ignore grey_nightmare's judging.

Level 31
Enjoy did in fact concept a death knight tauren. Without even giving it a backstory or anything.

Mr.Goblin have made the 'next generation' Shaman of the Horde. He added a backstory explaining how, since Garrosh took over(I think?), the Shamans became more like bestial warriors capable of taking the aspect of a Wolf Spirit with which they connect. They are no longer spellcasters but actually warriors, using the speed and agility of a Wolf and the power and strength of an Orc.

Or at least I think I can recall that was the backstory. Mine and Goblin's point was that TWIF's contest judged the quality of the art more than the concept behind it, and more than so, TWIF pretty much thought everyone was gonna make a digital\traditional drawing. Bet he didn't ever even expect someone to make a sculpture, or a 3D model, even though those are still acceptable forms of concept art.

so what u are saying us is that he made a concept story. This is a concept ART contest and the only use that his concept can be used is the shaman (and the shaman is already there is Wc3). Enjoy's concept art has many uses (Warrior, Tauren Hero, Death knight).

and yeah, Mr.goblin judging shouldnt be ''redone'' (like every judges rejudging) but grey should add him a note.

I dont want this to become an argument fest, i should have specifically said exactly what i wanted, its my fault, but whats done is done, no use arguing about it.

If grey wants to he can.

I also did not judge the contest, and the judging was aggregate so goblin recived a comperable score.

But if grey wants to judge goblins peice then so be it, we will recalculate.

Also, this is a Concept ART contest, the sides are equal. even if you concept is not so original, you do have an equal chance to win on art ground alone, but if both are excellent, then you have a good chance of winning. I did specifically add the 'theme' and 'originality' categories for that purpouse.

My suggestion is that grey redo his score, but i do not feel that much will change, i already announced the winner because everyone wanted me to.

If i ever make another contest, i will be SURE to be extremely explicet about my rules, to avoid confusion. this was a nice way to learn what not to do. sorry for all the confusion.

And also, debode, as far as i remeber, both tauren and death knights appeared in wc3 and earlier... while not shown, it is part of a contest to imagine the new.

Now also, it is not specifically a death knight, it is also a blue-wearing armored tauren, some kind of noble tauren or w/e.

if anything, goblin's art is more generic then enjoy's, for art, it appears to be a generic shaman. it does have a gnarly backstory, but that has nothing to do with the 'art' it is after all a 'concept art' competition. concept art, not concept art and story.

that is also a matter for the judges to discuss, not anyone else, take ip up with them in pms, for it is they who made judgments.

I have to agree 100% with kola.

I will only recalculate final score if all of the top 4 contestants agree its ok. if they are happy with it, we will go ahead.

Level 23

Enjoy made a WoW-based concept. It's a 100% copy from WoW. It wears plate armor, has blue glowing eyes, is a tauren and is a death knight.
There are no Tauren Death Knights in WC3, WC2, WC1.
Thus it's purely WoW content.

Mr.Goblin made an Orcish Shaman. It existed in WC3, and in lore far before WoW. More than so he completely changed the concept while(probably purposefully) leaving about the same artistic design as in WC3.

Kimberly made something completely new. I never saw a Jungle Troll 'Boar Master' in WoW. I don't even know what the hell it is.

The same applies to the rest of the people you mentioned.

While I don't think Enjoy should be disqualified, I do think Grey Nightmare should judge Mr.Goblin's entry and this thing can get over with.

The armor is 100 % drawn and made from scratch by me. So is the tauren.
I haven't looked at wow character taurens. I only called it a tauren deathknight, since I didn't know what else to call it.
I don't care if I win. But don't you dare calling my concept invalid.
Also, most wow creatures existed LONG before wow. Most of them are old legends from different cultures. So how can you even state that it is wow content, when it is not?

Level 48
The armor is 100 % drawn and made from scratch by me. So is the tauren.
Drawn != thought-out.

I haven't looked at wow character taurens. I only called it a tauren deathknight, since I didn't know what else to call it.
But you knew about tauren death knights? You knew they existed? Because that would technically cause your concept to be copied. The concept is the idea behind the drawing, not the drawing itself.

I don't care if I win. But don't you dare calling my concept invalid.
I wasn't calling your concept invalid. I'm saying you have drawn a concept that already exists.

Also, most wow creatures existed LONG before wow. Most of them are old legends from different cultures. So how can you even state that it is wow content, when it is not?
I've never seen a bull anthropomorphic humanoid wearing blue plate armor, having glowing blue eyes and being technically undead.

Anyways, I'm not saying you shouldn't win. I'm not calling your concept invalid and I'm not saying you purposefully copied an already thought-out concept. My whole argument is for more just judging, and as it stands now, the judging is unjust considering only 2 of 3 judges have judged Mr.Goblin's entry.

Level 23
Drawn != thought-out.

The concept is the idea behind the drawing, not the drawing itself.

Well to be honest: the concept is the idea behind the drawing. but concept ART ( that is what this contest is about) is the drawing itself! Basically how good you translate a concept/idea into a visual form.
And the most important point is not wether you did invent the concept behind it, but how well you did transform it visually!
Concept artists do mostly (exception example: Samwise's Pandaren) NOT invent the concepts themselves!

Level 12
Okay since Debode just dismissed his "invalid concept" charges, let's wrap this is up by nullifying his hopes of Mr. Goblin winning this by the addition of a third score to the calculation.

Facts:

-anarchianbedlam gave enjoy a 45/60 while Mr. Goblin got a 43/60.
-Army-of-Pandas gave enjoy a 143/150(28+27+29+29+30) while Mr. Goblin got a 135/150(27+26+26+28+28).
-If we calculate Mr. Goblin's score using the exact score Grey Nightmare gave to enjoy's entry then Mr. Goblin's final score will be "(0.9*100 + 0.78*100 + 0.71*100) ÷3 = 79.666".
-The chances of Grey Nightmare giving Mr. Goblin a higher score than enjoy are low.

Nothing personal; This is a contest.

Drawn != thought-out.

umm draw IS thought-out? the design is radically different from WoW so she would had have to redesign/rethink the whole thing. the body structure, the stance, the armour.

I've never seen a bull anthropomorphic humanoid wearing blue plate armor, having glowing blue eyes and being technically undead.
well now you have. and like i said. the colour blue is not an intelectual property of blizzard. nor are anthromorphs. nor are glowing eyes, nor is the concept of undead.

also. you DO realise. chat icons cost money. it will be unfair to TWIF to just give pay 100 extra dollars just because some of us are unhappy with the judge result. and no. TWIF doesnt have an effing money tree

Level 48
well now you have. and like i said. the colour blue is not an intelectual property of blizzard. nor are anthromorphs. nor are glowing eyes, nor is the concept of undead.

But all together in one bunch IS Blizzard's intellectual property.

umm draw IS thought-out? the design is radically different from WoW so she would had have to redesign/rethink the whole thing. the body structure, the stance, the armour.
But the idea of an undead tauren warrior is not hers. She didn't just wake up and thought... "HEY I HAVE AN IDEA! I'll draw a Tauren warrior that was corrupted by the Lich King to become a Death Knight, a mighty warrior of the Scouge!", or if she did, then it's still not her intellectual property because SOMEONE ALREADY HAD THAT IDEA. It's like someone re-invents light bulbs from scratch and calls it his own brand new invention.

Level 26
but the idea of an undead tauren warrior is not hers.

uh-oh, if no wow content is allowed, then not only is enjoy disqualified, but so is mr.goblin, kimberly, nara, wherewolf, ike_ike, kola and supertoinkz

you know, seeing as how there are tauren, deathknights, shaman, trolls, draenei, priests, blood elves, demons, and zeppelins in wow.

and so we have come full circle.

I still don't understand what your fucking point is debode... i mean... other than just being an argumentative little troll.

i mean. i know what you are "trying" to say.... but i don't understand why

It's just a lot of "Wah! I didn't win!" over a chat icon really.

Seriously, is all this drama necessary?

you haven't read apparently...:goblin_jawdrop:

It's not about winning.. it's about judging all the competitor fairly.

THATS ALL! now.. Debode is simply trying to to say that.. in his own way.
let's just get over with this..

debode and i decided to end the argument on the validity of enjoy's entry. he still does, however, feel that grey nightmare should judge mr goblin's work, which i completely agree.

since the criteria of shading is not applicable, i would suggest that you take it out as a whole and just judge the score with a max total of 40 and then convert that to percentage.

Level 48
Wow. How did this even happened?

The whole "enjoy" thing was because Grey Nightmare said something like "enjoy's concept art should be disqualified because it's a WoW concept". I was actually DISAGREEING with enjoy's disqualification, which I never even wanted, but I still saw the argument as valid because enjoy's entry did seem like a WoW concept at the time to me. But I NEVER wanted her to be disqualified.

My argument is to get Grey Nightmare to judge Mr.Goblin's entry as it is not fair that he did not rate his entry. I don't even care about enjoy's entry in particular. I don't understand how come everyone's calling me a troll and how the hell did this become a flamewar. I was just replying to Grey Nightmare's post. :/

Level 20
However I did notice TWIF... One of the rules that all WoW content was 'unacceptable' - now I didn't realise till now that a Tauren death knight was in WoW (as I've never played it) but I think this is an issue that needs addressing.

I said the above, not that it should be disqualified, it's not mine, yours or anyone but TWIF's place to say that and yes I will judge Mr. Goblins right now.

EDIT:

Ok, judged it however I refuse to mark it for shading (it's clay...) and colour - for obvious reasons.
So I did the other three and took a percentage.

80%

Good job, goblin =)

Full review:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1651776-post155.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------->

Are we all ok now? Again it's up to TWIF to decide if he actually wants to do anything with this or substitute another judging field for the two I missed.

I did all I can do =/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.