• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Grand Review Exchange!

Level 11
[Campaign] - Shadowmancer 2: THE INHERITOR
This campaign is under development, however there is Test Zone where you can view all items in the game and fight against enemies what you can choose in Mercenary Shop. In the Test Zone I implemented Revive system (you can die, but you will revived immediatly) + the priest with a healing spell. Also you may see Introduction cinematic. It's quite easy to test. Also It supports 12 slot inventory system:D
Icon for map: SM2 100x100 | HIVE

Level 18
Okay, I'll bite!

The link to my project is in my signature. If anyone chooses to review my map, please contact me first so we can have a short discussion. I'd prefer the review be from a couple play-throughs against real players, although there is the option to play against an AI Death Knight too.

Game description:

Against the Darkness is a Hunter vs. Hunted Survival game. A Player may choose to be part of a team of Death Hunters or play alone as the Death Knight. The primary goal of the hunters is to defeat the Death Knight before he is able to reign Doom upon Azeroth. This can only be achieved by working together to quest, creep, and limit the knight's opportunities until the team is strong enough to destroy him. The Death Knight can secure victory by defeating all of the Death Hunters or surviving until the Nether Portal is secured and Doom is completed.

Level 7
thread: [Strategy / Risk] - Corruption of Sargeras Legacy
pic: Minipicture | HIVE

Corruption of Sargeras Legacy is a revival of the map: Corruption of Sargeras. CoS is a kodo-tag/RTS-Builder hybrid where the Good (4 mortals and 1 Sargeras) must capture and defeat the Burning Legion (7 players) all while keeping the Burning Legion from destroying the mortals or Sargeras and laying waste to Creation. Maneuvering, teamwork, and your armies is all that stands between you and the void. Be quick and ruthless, for though Sargeras is sent to hunt the demons... the hunter can easily become the hunted. For though the mortals appear weak, they have a hidden strength in them. And though the Burning Legion be scattered, their reputation is well deserved.

Level 8
TheSilverhand Presents, The Unsolvable Revolution v1.2.2

So, Basically its like a footman Frenzy, but more chaotic.. You have too select your hero from a tavern, Keep it fair lads.. One hero per person.

You have to fight mobs by mobs to take out the enemy castle/citadel, winners get victory by destroying the castle/citadel, Towers level 2 and 3 are invulon on start, To destroy them you must first destroy the first towers, seconds towers,

Players only get control of their hero. Autodeselect is on the troops. There are flying units. I do plan to add in flying heroes on a later update!

Hope you Enjoy and give me your reviews! I need them!! :D

Level 7
I will play Shadowmancer and review my thoughts from the perspective of a new player. I will review this my own way. Where I play it for a while and give my thoughts as they come

Please take in mind that I might, perhaps, be a bit harsh from my naturally blunt way of reviewing things. I mean everything in honest love. I actually love it when people are blunt and honest when they review my own things.

1. The name 'Shadowmancer' sparks interest. It doesn't reveal the plot, it doesnt reveal anything more than the idea that there is some kind of shadow mage involved. I feel the person is the anti-hero or the villain, and that intrigues me because at the same time it doesnt reveal any of the story before its due time.

2. definitely do not like the image. I don't see how some ghoulish face and an "m" relates to the story, to the map, or to anything. It looks like a random piece of art depicting evil slapped in. It is high quality but I don't like how random it feels.

3. The description has poor grammar and usage of words.

4. the usage of music in the campaign screen was actually very interesting. Never seen that before, and it is nice and upbeat.

5. the eyes in the campaign screen could big bigger and have more emphasis. they are difficult to see, so it looks like I'm just looking at a black screen... which is not a good thing. I realize what you are trying to do with the 'shadow' theme, but you want to reach a balance between too much darkness and not enough. Right now it is too far in the extreme of too much darkness, making it look like a black screen, and that just screams bad quality. Consider looking into art like The Darkness, where the 'Darkness' is black as well, but uses other colors to give shape and emphasis to the darkness of it. Or at the very least better eye quality so it is much easier to see the eyes.

6. long loading screen is long. Not a bad thing with the art being refreshing.

7. "Time to listen some narration."? Thats a big putoff. not that I mind narration, but to go and say that in the loading screen is just... really not going to help you. Just leave it as "somewhere near Grahland Bay." It is always expected in the beginning to have narration.

8. Not sure how I feel about starting with a button. On one hand it lets me have control of when it starts. On the other hand, I had just hit a button 2 seconds ealier to end the loading screen. I don't see why I need to say "yes, I want to start. YES I want to start! YES I DO WANT TO START STOP ASKING ME!"

Thats not even that bad, the worst part is that the mouse cursor disappears in the midst of the 'narration mode' so I have to struggle to hit the button at all. I found you can actually hit enter, which is great. Emphasis that more so I don't spend 5 minutes like I just did looking for the button.

9. For having to sit through an unusually long loading screen, and being forced to acknowledge multiple times that I am ready, for an intro that is about stating "i dont like intros and btw this intro wont give u any plot or story at all, and lets just break the fourth wall because yolo." I dont know whether to facepalm or laugh and find it amusing or delete the campaign. Its... just a complete waste of time.

10. WHY NOT USE THE DESCRIPTION OF CHAPTER 1 AS YOUR INTRO!? that would have been okay!

11. How in the world is it odd for a house you just bought to have been recently lived in? Uh... I'm confused.

12. I like the modified UI

13. why in the hell would you tell the PLAYER to fix the camera FOR you??? I'm sorry, but that is your problem. Not theirs.

14. the house really doesnt look like much of a house... more like the porch or patio from the house out to a river where you sit outside. I think I get that feeling more from the walls.

15. dude, the cinematics are tripping me so hard. Its like you give me the first half of a sentence... and you wait... 5 seconds... for the last... half of... the sentence... then the next sentence (first half) appears... and you wait... another... six seconds... for the second half... of the second sentence... thats not... smooth... thats tripping... me... so hard. Almost like that sentence I just gave you. It is like a show where these bad actors have to give emphasis to every single word. Like "What... was she... doing... in... the kitchen?.. *LE GASP*" That just makes my skin crawl.

16. Why is he saying what he feels at the same time as his actions and his words and in the same way?? You also keep changing his title from "damehion" to other things that I don't catch because changing his name every few seconds is not really a good way of emphasising how he feels. His name is his name. He isn't known as Damehian the Heavy Breather or something... is he? o.0

17. Random coin is random?

I would continue, but the way the cinematic speech is handled is literally making my skin crawl.

I explored the hero controls and the spells it gave me. The spells are well designed, easy to understand, and arent hard to reach on the keyboard. The hero control area is a bit much to take in, but its not hard.

I also like the fact that you start with a kinda tutorial on how to use his main abilities. Definietely a plus.

Overall I want to say the map has potential, but I feel people will be put off before exploring it solely because of the way these cinematics and intro is handled. May I suggest looking at other maps, where you know they have cinametics, and see how the speech is handled? It is usually with segments that can be read in about 4-6 seconds, and it is moved on withtout just sitting there adding more words to the same text. It is a different segment entirely.

Terrain - 6/10 (What I saw made it feel lively, but also cluttered and incredibly disorganized. Fine for a home, but still not pretty. The UI was quite nice too, and I consider that part of the terrain in a sense just because of the 'feel' it gives to the enviroment you operate in.)

Controls - 8/10 (Very well made. The finer hero controls are a bit difficult to grasp at first glance, but have information readily available while emphasising the specific keys you want for the primary spells. you also have easy access to other features through the F1-12 keys. I didn't like how close I was to the ground, and rotating the camera wheel did nothing to fix that.)

Spells - 8/10 (What I saw was very nice. Easy to understand. Some of them were pretty while others were a bit... had too much going on to know what was happening in the spell. Like too much flashing.)

gameplay - 5/10 (didn't get that far to get a proper feel. so I'll leave it neutral)

Cinematic and story telling - 1/10 (The one thing that put me off so bad I couldn't take it. the fact that I was being given half a sentence at a time every few seconds, as fast as I read, made me feel like a man dieing of thirst just wanting to move on to the next cinametic segment, or scene, or to reach the gameplay. Also just throwing away a perfectly good intro, and wasting my time, was a big disappointment.)

end result: 28/50 - the biggest weakness is the cinematics. Fix that it and it will improve greatly.

Level 10
Uhm, as far as i know the review should go below the projects page, probably with an added link to the Grand Review Exchange.

Anyway, what i wanted to ask: @Rufus, you wanted to take a look at the reviews given, refering to the first post. Should the people send you a link to the matching post, send you a pn or just link your acc (with @) to the review?

Level 26
Anyway, what i wanted to ask: @Rufus, you wanted to take a look at the reviews given, refering to the first post. Should the people send you a link to the matching post, send you a pn or just link your acc (with @) to the review?
That was for the first version of the Exchange. Here, I don't need to check the reviews, since I can rely on the person who recieved a bad review to report it to me, so we can encourage the reviewer to make improvements.
I added this to the rules and guidelines now: "If you think the other party of your exchange didn't put enough effort into the review, send me a PM, and I will work with him to create a better one."

However, you can always link my account if you wish, so I can monitor some of the activity. :)

@TheAncient, post the review in the map thread instead. :)

Level 10
Well, i see the issue there, but i believe thats always a risk that can come up. On the other habd, most of the ppl at the hive are so honest (and/or loud enough xD ) to tell the person when they are not happy with the amount of work done to it.
And i mean you appreciate any feedback on your map, given it is constructive. And probably some people here have never reviewed a map. So i believe that people can come along with the fact that there us a discrepancy of two exchanged works, if both users got some amount of understatement.

Level 10
Well, value is always twofold: there is the value of use and the equivalent value.
In terms of equivalent value, you are completely right, it would be a bad trade and you would feel like being scammed.
But if the review is in itself usefull enough for yourself, it was still a trade you were happy to make. Of course when even this category fails, the review has a quality low enough that you could give rufus a message about it.

I mean thats always the case with trading immaterial goods: only when you really make strict conditions, it qorks out properly. I dont have high expectations, because i understand that people make it out of kindness. I dont hope that giving reviews should turn to serious trading.

Level 26
@Chaosy
Let's say I do pretty good reviews. Someone then gives my project a less good review. Be it in terms of detals, layout or length.
That is always the case in one direction or the other. I'd say it is impossible to write exactly the same quality of reviews, mainly because we are not reviewing hte same project, and also because we are not the same person.

Even though those issues does exist, they haven't been evident enough. I haven't been dissatisfied with a single one of my 7-8 exchanges so far.
Sure, some of them doesn't write as long reviews, or does even provide as much feedback as I may have done, but I've still recieved enough feedback to feel the exchange was a good deal.

If something goes wrong:
If someone actually doesn't put in effort enough sometime, you can contact me, and I will help that reviewer improve their review.
Or if someone doesn't make an obvisouly bad review, but you are still not satisfied with it, you can just avoid working with that person again (which you probably won't anyway, unless you both have multiple resources in the project).

But the thing is if I lend someone 10 dollars I kinda want 10 dollars back, get what I mean?

Idk about you but I would be somewhat pissed if I only got 5 dollars back.
This is less lending, and more like investing I'd say.
Sometimes you get less back, sometimes more. It pretty much evens out in the end.

Is that answer enough? :)

Level 8
Kingdom Of Snow

That's melee map 2vs2 or FFA. A lot races fought for it ,but no one claimed that land ,maybe you will lead army that finally will claim this land.
In center of map are two fountains, one health fountain and other mana fountain, ice dragon protect it he never sleep, so
be careful when you will cross the sides be cause hes not only guard of the center.
Soon i will update this map.

Last edited:

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
Gargonach: A single-player mini game with action-driven gameplay and a classic 90's-esque boss fight.

microrunnertd: A two-player runner-style tower defense map with lots of cute easter eggs, light-hearted humor, and an undeniable challenge in -hard mode.

Hunter's Hall: A tense, frustrating, 6v6 counter-strike style hero arena where teams have unique, distinct gameplay styles.