• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Bug Report Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it would be a good idea to compile a list of bugs that everyone on THW playing SCII and using Galaxy Editor can report bugs to, so we don't all need to go directly to Blizzard.

To post a bug, please follow these guidlines:
  • The thread title should be the name of the bug. Make up a name based on what it does. You should add a prefix, MELEE or CUSTOM, depending on whether the bug happened in a melee game or as a result of you editing the game with Galaxy Editor, respectively. Example: If a unit has finished building, but does not appear, your thread title could be "[MELEE] Unit Train Bug".
  • Describe the bug in as much detail as you deem necessary.
  • Attach screenshots of the bug if possible, to aid your description.
  • If the bug is CUSTOM, it would help to attach the map file where you encountered the bug

I'll add all reported bugs to these tables:

Discovered By
Bug

Discovered By
Bug

Pyritie
Add Friend Crash

PS: Please don't post anything other bug reports in this thread. You will be ignored. If you want to discuss whether a reported bug actually exists, or it was just some user fault, please make a new thread.

Last edited:
[CUSTOM] Duplicate Item Bug

I was making a hero, added an item, and placed 2 on the map to pick up. I equipped one of them, and it gave me the bonus. I equipped the other, and I still had the same bonus, which is how it should be. I unequipped one (with one still equipped) and the bonus disappeared!

Attachments

• Item Working.JPG
    Item Working.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 309
  • Item Not Working.JPG
    Item Not Working.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 267
  • Test.zip
    202.9 KB · Views: 117
Level 8
I'm not sure if this is a bug, but there is no way to save the custom script you write in the Script Editor. You can just make GUI triggers with Custom Script action in them, but if you freely edit the mapscript you can only export it afterwards and you can't save it into the map.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The crash bug reported is false, I am removing it as after extensive testing (opening 3 maps at once and then opening each of them again multiple times without closing any of the open maps in a random order), I ruled that the person is to blame for the crash, not the editor.

Basically there was no crash for me when recreating the conditions described.

I say the crash he reported was caused due to his hardware not haveing enough resources to cope with multiple open maps rather than it actually being a bug.

Level 11
[Custom]: If you have a periodic event (ie every X seconds of gametime), it will default to every 0.0625 seconds if it is a smaller interval than 0.0625 seconds.

Haven't tested with timers yet, map attached with an example.

EDIT: Just tested with timers. It fails there too.

EDIT2: It also fails for waits too.

Attachments

• Periodicfail.zip
    15.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
There is a bug in the world editor where the creation of new valid data does not update the selection available from fields that use that data. Generally this happens if they are created as a low level data structure (copy of the lowest availble) and with certain types of linking turned on.

The easiest way to recreate this is to duplicate anything in the behaviours section and keep defines default values turned on. Despite the data existing it will not appear as a choice in fields which take that data type. If you however copy another non low level data and set it to have the values from the missing data, both suddenly appear as valid choices in a field expecting that data type.

Most noticable example of this was with making button, where even the button's icon failed to update passed the default until I got another new button to use that buttons data which caused both icons to appear as valid choices and display the correct icon.

This bug I believe is caused by the caching of the available choices not being updated correctly at certain types of creation. This results in the cache data being incorrect or missing.

A seriously annoying bug as it results in a lot of wasted time. Does not affect gameplay to my knowledge.

Level 9
If you set grammar text in a library, and import that library into a different map, the grammar text will be gone.

Possibly my own fail though; try it yourself!

Last edited:
Level 4
[Custom]: If you have a periodic event (ie every X seconds of gametime), it will default to every 0.0625 seconds if it is a smaller interval than 0.0625 seconds.

This also applies to periodic effects on behaviors. I haven't tested it with "create persistent" effects.

Edit: I just tried using create persistent effects, and it didn't help. It appears that it can execute many more times per second but every execution is actually done at the nearest/next 1/16 second interval.

Edit 3: Apparently I misunderstood the workaround, retracted a statement.

Last edited:
Level 3
i got a problem. i play sc2 and my monitor shuts down... i tryed to reset ir but computer didnt responded... i have to turn off the pc and then monitor woorks fine, but then i play sc2 it turn offs aggain. i tryed to lower the grafics, because it used ultra, but no it disconnects my monitor!

i got a problem. i play sc2 and my monitor shuts down... i tryed to reset ir but computer didnt responded... i have to turn off the pc and then monitor woorks fine, but then i play sc2 it turn offs aggain. i tryed to lower the grafics, because it used ultra, but no it disconnects my monitor!

This seems to be a problem with your computer. You should post it on the Blizzard Technical Support forum.

Level 10
-Create a unit in the editor.
-Add it to the map.
-Delete it from the data editor.
-Go try to select it on the map.
-CRASH

If you add Attributes to a unit, the number on the card at the bottom of the screen stays at 0, but the attribute effects the unit as if it was incremented.

Level 3
Umm 2 things with the games profile system that might not be bugs but seem odd to me...

1. My highest rank is always my current rank and league, not my highest achieved rank or league.
2. When checking the ladder the name under mine is always highlighted, not my name.

Small superficial things really, but I don't think they are working as intended.

Level 27
Alright, I've just downloaded my beta, and now it was updating path 12. When it updated it completely, it tryed to update the same path again, and when I closed the updater and then tryed to open the game again, updater started again and it said something about beeing unable to find the tracker or something...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Disabling a race from being selectable in the data editor does not work properly.

It does disable the race from being choosen by a player but it still appears as a choice in the game launch menu that can be choosen (instead it goes to another race which can be choosen).

All editor UI display the race as not choosable outside of player settings (where it logically should be choosable as those can not vary). Basically the game varients display the correct menu of choosable races, but the ingame menu does not.

In my case I disabled zerg from being selectable. The result is that players can still select zerg in the lobby but when the game starts they are terran. It works as in it does not let them be zerg but its broken as in it still lets them choose the option.

Level 6
My personal editor bug list/issue list

i havent read all threads in here, but i was asked to report all bugs/issues i know atm.

so here it is:

Bugs:

- editor crashes sometimes when updating a published map
- map publishing fails to 100% if there are more then 2 players enabled: i have to delete and add a game variant EVERYTIME again
- sometimes when i have uploaded the map, it says "couldnt open map" and crashes, i could fix this by changing the map name, this is VERY annoying
- when you create a record and put an array variable in it, and then use this array in a trigger it will work, but if you copy paste this vatriable the array index will always be "unknown", this is one of the most annoying bugs for me because records are very important for overview!

Issues:

- map size again limited to 256*256, why? it seems like 256*256 is even smaller compared to the unit size to wc3. for big rpgs its not enaugh. scaling down ALL doodads and units is A LOT of work and the ground texture will look sh*t then, so its no option. more maps are also no option because its not possible to change a map for a single player, but for all players at once, why?
- maximum of 8 tilesets: correct me if im wrong, but it seems like its not possible to use more than 8 tilesets for a map, this is also not enaugh because if you want to create different zones you need more textures to make it look good.
- skybox seems not to work if you change it with triggers
- why are so much functions again global? what if i want to change a fog only for a special player (different zones -> different fog), same with skybox or a lot of other actions.
- the bank limit: in multiplayer the amount of values that can be loaded form banks isnt nearly enaugh. for more information see: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/galaxy-editor-help-zone-647/sc2-bank-files-critics-167005/ and http://forums.sc2mapster.com/development/map-development/3015-bank-files-situation-report/#p18
- why is there no direct galaxy support? a lot of people are already developing really nice tools to script in galaxy/andromeda, but why we again have to to it all ourselfes?
- the data editor needs more overview: the tabbing of the values was a very good step, we need more structure!
- some important things seem to miss: revive unit, reading out damage/armor of a unit, reading out weapon speed of a unit and much much more
- the model viewer is senseless to me. for example if i want to trigger a spell and add an effect to it, i cant browse quickly to all effects like in the WE, so i just dont know which effect fits. should i open the model previewer everytime again to check it? this sucks. correct me if im using it wrong.
- other issues with bank files: you cant use vars for preloading, so everyone can delete all bank files he wants, it also makes preloading to a very annoying procedure because you have to add every bank seperatly. jsut allow using variables and all will be good
- the 2^31 byte limit for triggers seems quite silly, but i havent got any problems with this, YET
- why are there no dynamic arrays? whould be very useful
- a lot of other small annoying thinks: why are there presets for boolean values? for example i cant set the state of a check box directly to a boolean variable, i have to check if the bool is true and then set the preset to "checked", thats sensless and just makes work, same with all other presets that only represent two values
- the gui seems to be quite laggy, dont know if its worse than in WE, but even with my phenom II with 4x3.1ghz and 4gb ddr2 800 cl4 ram it lags quite fast if a add a lot of actions to it
- why we cant use imported .jpg files with the gui editor, but with custom script? thats totally senseless.
- why did you limit the timers that much? wc3 was heaven against this. not only that timers/waits are very limited, also ALL events are VERY slow because of this
- its a very annoying thing to design the entire ui with triggers, because you must test it again and again to see how it looks. how about a GUI editor like for example in microsoft visual studio that creates the code automatically? i know that its a quite big thing, but i think it would be a great tool that would it make 10x easier to design a perfect custom ui!

i will edit this post if i remember more.

PS: overall the editor is on a quite good way, but all this needs to be changed/fixed. if you do this, it will be perfect. just remember not to limit the mappers so much, as more freedom we have as greater the maps will be later on.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Not detailed enough.

map publishing fails to 100% if there are more then 2 players enabled: i have to delete and add a game variant EVERYTIME again
You are reporting the bug incorrectly. The bug is that it is possible to set game varient data into states which are invalid for map publication but still allow the map to test perfectly. The result is some form of attribute error preventing the submission of the map and occurs when trying to lock some field types or trying to set fields into invalid values.

Attributes are also prone to error with invalid values but will pass map publishing. Instead on the battlenet screen you will get a curropted attributes data error or the map will hang on loading the lobby so you are stuck unable to join games until you log back in again.

- sometimes when i have uploaded the map, it says "couldnt open map" and crashes, i could fix this by changing the map name, this is VERY annoying
Again sometimes is not very helpful, we need more detail.

- when you create a record and put an array variable in it, and then use this array in a trigger it will work, but if you copy paste this vatriable the array index will always be "unknown", this is one of the most annoying bugs for me because records are very important for overview!
Nice bug spotting. Convert it to custom script and then copy and paste that. As it is text it will not be affected by this bug. This is not a fix but a work around.

- map size again limited to 256*256, why? it seems like 256*256 is even smaller compared to the unit size to wc3. for big rpgs its not enaugh. scaling down ALL doodads and units is A LOT of work and the ground texture will look sh*t then, so its no option. more maps are also no option because its not possible to change a map for a single player, but for all players at once, why?
Someone obviously has no idea bout computers. SC2 maps are the same size as WC3 ones but stuff is generally larger, reducing scale is the best option here. Cliffs are also larger as they are always walkable but they no longer burn your eyes with their evil uglyness. Multiple map support where each player has a different map loaded is impossible due to the ammount of server demands it puts on battlnet and syncronizing would be near impossible if another player wants to go onto the same map. Just design something to take advantage of the multiple map support with group loading (like a coop rpg) instead of something needing unsupported features (solo RPG).

- maximum of 8 tilesets: correct me if im wrong, but it seems like its not possible to use more than 8 tilesets for a map, this is also not enaugh because if you want to create different zones you need more textures to make it look good.
Correct, however each tile is far better looking than any of WC3s with both high res texture and normals. Additionally the engine supports mix and match texturing allowing you to get millions of different looking terrains from those 8 and each generally looks better than anything WC3 could do. Its a trade off, less tile flexibility but higher quality tile blending and better looking terrain. Again its an adaptable change.

This is eithor "your doing it wrong" or a real bug.

- why are so much functions again global? what if i want to change a fog only for a special player (different zones -> different fog), same with skybox or a lot of other actions.
Annoying yes. However if you can locally change lighting that is all you need as lighting is far more powerful than fog.

- the bank limit: in multiplayer the amount of values that can be loaded form banks isnt nearly enaugh. for more information see: SC2 Bank files - Critics and http://forums.sc2mapster.com/develop...on-report/#p18
What are you talking about... It is far more than any WC3 save code string systems let you load and for less players you can load longer codes via it. It also requires you not even lift a finger to save and load as there is no annoying screenshot crap that WC3 needed. Yes I agree that the limit is illogical however, would love to see it raised to 500-1000 bytes per player (14 players) or a global pool of 10-20KB as the modern broadband offers speeds which would take less than a second to download all that.

- why is there no direct galaxy support? a lot of people are already developing really nice tools to script in galaxy/andromeda, but why we again have to to it all ourselfes?
I hope this was jsut blizzard rushing to release the editor. Honestly there was no excuse to not make a custom script object the same level as a trigger with a full screen windo for typing unaltered galaxy and some options at the bottom for initilizer hookup and stuff.

- some important things seem to miss: revive unit, reading out damage/armor of a unit, reading out weapon speed of a unit and much much more
Hero support is not final, however it could probably be emulated via getting a unit to revive the hero. Weapon support might be due to how they are handled not being easy to interface with however you can read raw weapon data via catalogues and then calculate additional behaviours.

- the model viewer is senseless to me. for example if i want to trigger a spell and add an effect to it, i cant browse quickly to all effects like in the WE, so i just dont know which effect fits. should i open the model previewer everytime again to check it? this sucks. correct me if im using it wrong.
This tool however alearts you of what options each model supports. I do agree that it seems messed up as some options crash it and it has support for basic editing. Looks like some form of basic model editor infact so perhaps in an expansion we could get something cool?

- other issues with bank files: you cant use vars for preloading, so everyone can delete all bank files he wants, it also makes preloading to a very annoying procedure because you have to add every bank seperatly. jsut allow using variables and all will be good
You contradict yourself. If they can not use variables they can not delete all bank files he wants. However I do agree that banks should be backedup (save the last version of a bank in a separae folder before the game starts so any changes will not affect it and the new bank will exist happily unless you need to restore. This would stop malicious maps destroying save data. Until then I advise keeping backups of your banks.

- the 2^31 byte limit for triggers seems quite silly, but i havent got any problems with this, YET
Its due to the way their compiler works with only and its 2^22 not 31 as 31 would allow for 2 GBs to be allocated (more than enough). Multi map support makes up for this, however it is still advisable to plan huge projects with MB of trigger data to take this into consideration so the limit is not a problem. Games like the orignal legend of zelda and many SNES games were under 4 MB and that includes artwork, you do not really have an excuse for hitting 4 MB.

- why are there no dynamic arrays? whould be very useful
Its cause of their safe memory allocation system, all arrays use fixed predifined adresses like you would do in assembly when using a memory mapped micro controler thus they are all static in memory and can never be removed. Dynamic arrays mean you have to have some form of address recycling which becomes all messy thus they went for the static approach to keep memory management efficent and simple. Yes you can create objects but arrays would be part of their virtual machine not the game engine and the virtual machine would thus have to handle their memory. In a way I like it cause it reminds me of assembly but I dislike it cause it makes easilly portable code difficult to make (although it keeps code efficent).

- why did you limit the timers that much? wc3 was heaven against this. not only that timers/waits are very limited, also ALL events are VERY slow because of this
Everything is limited to that, from pathing updating to attack cooldown. Honestly its pretty fast enough and is perfectly fine for most tasks. It is not meant to provide smooth graphics, its meant to guide smooth graphics (let the engine do the smoothing).

- its a very annoying thing to design the entire ui with triggers, because you must test it again and again to see how it looks. how about a GUI editor like for example in microsoft visual studio that creates the code automatically? i know that its a quite big thing, but i think it would be a great tool that would it make 10x easier to design a perfect custom ui!
Desgning interfaces is a major task and people study it for years. SC2 is no harder than making one in java or python. Want hard? Use C++ to make interfaces and you will then learn hard. Honestly the functions they provide do let you map out an interface to a large degree of accuracy, minor adjustments will always need to be made so testing is not excapable. I do agree that the constructions should be a value that can be set directly to a variable instead of the crap last created object they use (like you can use in the script).

New bugs!

Filling a largish map with water and then making it very reflective on ultra graphics will cause one half of the square (a triangle) to become messed up. Turning on distortions will worsen the effect making it noticably reflect incorrectly while the other half will appear as it should (perfeclty). I am not sure if it is an nvidia 275 GTX /driver bug or a blizzard bug but I can confirm that it does this with my hardware. Deleting any square of water will completly mend the bug (due to breaking up the geometry) so that all water reflects properly.

Moving the camera in the editor very close to a smooth mirror set water surface will invert the order of rendering of the objects being reflect (only happens very close to surface, otherwise it is correct). By this I mean that the non reflected image will be fine while the reflection will have objects that were behind other objects appear infront of them so the furset away object in the actual scene appears as the closet object in the reflected scene. A very minor bug that should never be a problem but still exists.

Shadows mess up when overhead. If you set the light source to be directly overhead, all shadows will dissapear. As you move further away from overhead more angles will have shadows again until shadows appear all the tiem.

Curropted game varients. It is possible to get the game varients setting to have invalid or nonsens settings so the map can still be tested but will not publish.

Curropted game attributes. It is possible to get the game attributes into such a configuration that the map will publish but will error with a curropted warning if anyone trys to load the map (if they are locked) or fall into an infinite loop if tried to be created (if requirements fall into a loop),

Model viewer crash. It is possible to crash the model viewer by choosing one of the options, which currently excapes me but I repeated the crash many times.

Infinite load crash. It is possible to set various morph abilities in SC2 into invalid states so that when the data tries to be loaded the data generation function falls into a loop with 2^32 itterations each allocating memory. The end result is eithor an out of memory windows error or the game crashing to crash report.

Unit overload. It is possible to overload a players unit handling systems causing units to become stuck and unmovable. With the excessive creation of units for a player so that the player has large numbers of them (1000s) it is possible for them to become stuck and unable to move. This limit is per player (total number does not mater it is the amount per player) and gets fixed after some of the units are killed.

Bank crash. If a players bank is too big, he will lockup and hang during map loading. Other players will load fine but it renders maps unplayable unless all saved content is removed or the player count reduced. This probably is not itentional by blizzard and so there may be major bank system changes to fix this.

Level 6
Quote:
Not detailed enough.

if there is already a version of a map hosted, and you try to host it again (newer version) without restarting the editor bevore, it crashes quite often.

Quote:
Again sometimes is not very helpful, we need more detail.

there is nothing more to say. i dont know why, but sometimes it just throws out this error and i have to rename the map and publish it again, what costs a lot of nerves because publishing also fails quite often because of the game variant bugs...

Quote:
Nice bug spotting. Convert it to custom script and then copy and paste that. As it is text it will not be affected by this bug. This is not a fix but a work around.

so what? for sure it will work with custom script. but that isnt the point

Quote:
This is eithor "your doing it wrong" or a real bug.

no, im quite sure im not doing it wrong. there is not much that could be wrong.

Quote:
Annoying yes. However if you can locally change lighting that is all you need as lighting is far more powerful than fog.

lightning is cool, yes, but it has nothing to do with fog. fog is totally different

Quote:
You contradict yourself. If they can not use variables they can not delete all bank files he wants. However I do agree that banks should be backedup (save the last version of a bank in a separae folder before the game starts so any changes will not affect it and the new bank will exist happily unless you need to restore. This would stop malicious maps destroying save data. Until then I advise keeping backups of your banks.

why cant i delete every bank i want without variables? i just have to fing out the bank name for a specific map and delete it, thats all. if we would be able to use vars von banknames we would be able to name every bank different and make this impossible.

Quote:
Its due to the way their compiler works with only and its 2^22 not 31 as 31 would allow for 2 GBs to be allocated (more than enough). Multi map support makes up for this, however it is still advisable to plan huge projects with MB of trigger data to take this into consideration so the limit is not a problem. Games like the orignal legend of zelda and many SNES games were under 4 MB and that includes artwork, you do not really have an excuse for hitting 4 MB.

i hope nobody will ever hit it.

Quote:
Desgning interfaces is a major task and people study it for years. SC2 is no harder than making one in java or python. Want hard? Use C++ to make interfaces and you will then learn hard. Honestly the functions they provide do let you map out an interface to a large degree of accuracy, minor adjustments will always need to be made so testing is not excapable. I do agree that the constructions should be a value that can be set directly to a variable instead of the crap last created object they use (like you can use in the script).

most good programs already have a gui designer included. visual studio has one, and for eclipse there are also addons for it. i just believe its not that much work for blizzard to create such a tool and it would be very useful for everyone. who is still desinging UIs within the code? oO

Infinite load crash. It is possible to set various morph abilities in SC2 into invalid states so that when the data tries to be loaded the data generation function falls into a loop with 2^32 itterations each allocating memory. The end result is eithor an out of memory windows error or the game crashing to crash report.
Ah, remember that? I fixed it by recreating the Nexus.

Status
Not open for further replies.