• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bug Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the replay! But unfortunately, I have absolutely zero clue why this happens to you. It also seems not to happen for others and it doesn't happen again later (I only watched until 1:20h ... pretty long game I gotta say).

This is very weird indeed. There isn't even a script line in this game that would cause items to be dropped upon death, let alone randomly. There is a flag with the inventory ability that causes items to drop upon death, but if that would be the case here, then it would drop all items every time you die.
I could not find any particular reason why this happened to you and to you alone.

Just out of curiousity, did you play this on Bnet or Lan? Are you playing on a mac or windows machine? Did you perhaps use the saving or loading button on the game menu during the game? Did you try anything funky with the bag system? Unfortunately, the bags and all it's contents aren't on the replay. If this happens again, make sure to save the replay! I need to investigate that further, but the intel gained from that single replay isn't enough for me to reproduce the bug.

Level 6
well i think it happened twice.. using that same code i loaded first. this was the 2nd time it actually happened to me. Thats the only clue i have to reproduce it.

well i think it happened twice.. using that same code i loaded first. this was the 2nd time it actually happened to me. Thats the only clue i have to reproduce it.
Highly unlikely that it might have anything to do with the code. Simply because there are no exceptions to how the save/load works. It's always the same algorithm, so either it bugs always or never.

Level 6
another bug, the beetles spawn on bad areas sometimes... and they get trapped, makes the boss easier

Level 7
That bug happened to me the other night as well. Died to the gargoyle with my bishop and all my items appeared on the ground without me being able to reclaim them. I've died plenty of times and this was the first time it had happened to me.

I guess luckily it seems to be an extremely rare occurrence, and given the nature of save/load codes we don't really stand to lose much if it does happen.

Level 4
I just found a typo: I guess the material "Saphire" in the game should actually have "Sapphire" as its' name.

Level 3
The BUG about Dispel Magic in v1.2A12

It would be a self-effect only spell if try to advance the spell [Dispel Magic] by learning Talent Lv25.

20150210_001.jpg

And when I reset the talent, it still can't designate target except myself.

20150210_002.jpg

After I reset the talent, unlearned the spell and learn it again, It gets back to normal----a single target spell.

Level 1
Bug on bishop quest

Type of problem:
Eternal death at the quest to became a bishop.

Map Version:
1.2A(12)

Description of the problem:
I was doing the quest to became a bishop, helping the soldiers and stuff, when I died and my grave disappeared from the map. I think the hero's vision goes to the NPC where the quest begins and the grave continues on the same place of the death, then the fog doesn't let me see it, so I can't revive.

(bugs only) How to reproduce the bug (if possible):
Just get the boat and die to zombies.

Level 8
(12) bug

Using blurred motions during a boss fight (with a team not solo) crashes the game. It could be only when blurred motions causes a target change or an issue with the new talents, not sure, but this version has crashed at least 10 times for me - only when a thief class used blurred motions.

Level 3
1.Sometimes, [Mind Focus]——affected by [Body & Mind] would disappear suddenly.
Speculation is caused by the second trigger.

2.[Hat of wisdom] & [Fire Protection Robe] offered no ar.

additional question:
Did U remove the [cunning sword] with 15ap&8arp from drop list? I can't farm it now. But I'd got it by stolen.
Did U remove the two-hand weapon with 22ap from drop list? I can't farm it too.

Based on ver GaiasORPG_v1_2A(12)

Last edited:
Level 8
1. Seems like some talents are not removed after talent reset. Like crusader's and assassin's cooldown reduction talents. For example you can choose lvl45 talent for assassin to reduce cooldown of backstab and bladefury, reset talents, choose increased damage from behind but still have reduced cooldown on backstab and bladefury.

2. Well this is not a bug but wow is it annoying. The wrath of nature effect on soul strike with bounce talent is absolutely terrible, an unnecessary distraction. If you can't remove the effect without messing with the talent then remove the talent aswell, we won't miss it.

3. Small suggestion: Please add attack speed and movespeed to the multiboard stats.

Last edited:
Level 7
Finally got around to getting a replay of the alchemist pathing bug (or unintended exploit really). Also feel free to enjoy Ihaz's and I's terrible attempt at playing this game after not playing it in forever :D.

Less of a thing to do with alchemist himself, as the fight is easy enough without this, however it should be a good reminder to check for these sorts of things in new and later encounters.

Last edited:
Level 11
Now, I don't know exactly what happened here since I wasn't part of the events but it still blew my mind.

So last week the gaming circle I am part of decided to start up in Gaia again, we all get started questing and stuff and three days later another guy joined in. He had never played it before and was also 30 levels behind the rest of us so he decided to set up a mouse script to farm monsters in the starting area for him while he went to sleep and work etc. Since he basically joined in at the end of a gaming session we didn't have time to describe the game mechanics yet otherwise he would have known that farming spiders and bandits will eventually not yield any exp.

Somehow though, when he came back in to our next session he was a level 41 Wizard and his gold was just a bunch of X.

Now, that shouldn't be possible without a cheat involved due to there being two blocks against reaching that level on spiders, one of them being the exp level rate going to a halt and the second being the exp block at level 25 when you need to choose a class. I also don't know for how long he had that script running. But still, he was level 41 Wizard in the game.

If its not a cheat he used then I wouldn't be too surprised if it did really happen that way he decribed it, he is the type of guy who fools around with software and hardware both professionally and as a hobby, so setting up a script like that isn't something new. And he still had no idea how the map works so why would he hack on to level 41 of all the levels? If the game system got broken by his script farming it is very unlikely but I've seen some pretty odd stuff happen at random back when I fooled around in the editor my self, so just a possible guess.

I'm gonna provide an image as soon as I find where I saved the bugger.

Level 11
It was in the middle of the week and he only has about 2h a day to play games unless he skips out on work, sleep or his wife, which I doubt he would since he hates playing games alone.

And he also said "f*** that" when I advised him to play on his own to catch up with the rest of us.

The mouse script took about 20 min for him to set up so in theory it would save a lot of time if it wasn't for the exp level rate.

Level 8
If it walks like a cheater and talks like a cheater, it most likely is a cheater. I can't even conceive what bug could possibly give this effect, and with no replay to investigate the possibility of one - why even bring this up in the forums?

If there even is something as far-fetched as a "mouse script" bug, we wouldn't want zwieb to spend time fixing it for that one guy out there that's too lazy to play the game.

Level 7
Bards talent for 25% of damage to be dealt as lightning damage is somewhat bugged.

When you deal a critical hit on the same hit that the lightning damage procs, your normal attack seems to be reduced by about 30%. Damage on non-criticals is normal when the lightning procs however.

Level 5
I think this goes back some years, as we have had mobs that went invul like a boss and pwnd us all, before as well. But here is what happened in slideshow mode :), maybe helps with solving it.

So in this farming game I kill a crab near d1 from a group of 2 right before his buddy respawns and he gets hurt feelings and closes up his heart to all emotions thenceforth (you can see it in his eyes), and goes invulnerable upon arrival.
Mob invul 1.png
With no care in the world, and harboring nothing but the intention for sweet sweet revenge, he splendidly follows me out of his dwelling, and goes anywhere I go. I'm at big bad wolf boss now.
Mob invul 2.png
But time mends all wounds, so I somehow lose him by going in the bandit dungeon cell and thus too faraway and he finds a new mate respawning at him.
Mob invul 3.png
She's not invulnerable like him, so she ain't his type and they fail to reach any mutual understanding; and maybe bcuz of that or that he misses his real soulmate too much, the new respawn can't fill in the void in his heart and he still remains invulnerable to the world unhappily ever after.
Mob invul 4.png

There are similarly weird "delayed response" on mobs and several times they just run somewhere far from any of us farming them (lings at bm and kobolds at the alchemist's whereabouts) and run far enough to reset themselves.

Also, this is the fatal error message if it helps at identifying anything. At the time of receiving this specific one I have uninstalled the pack and deleted the ''allow local files'' registry entry. Fatals did happen regardless of whether I had the pack though. And it happens for everyone simultaneously, no special trigger. Really needs a fix.
fatal.png

Level 5
The ss are just my best guess at being comprehensive. I'll defo save next time I see it, I've always thut they would be the worse of the two choices since farming games can be really long.

Okay here are 9 logs from stuff that happened this version.
View attachment Fatal Error Logs-Sept 2015.zip

Edit: The log folder seems to have somehow autosaved 4 of the crash replays. Had to check them and choose among some other random stuff autosaved, to make sure that's why it took some time. The date in their name should correspond with 4 of their log files in the above attachment. Just watching them causes crash with fatal error too at the end.
View attachment 4xCrash Replays-Sept 2015.zip

Last edited:
Level 5
Edit: I might be able to dig up that replay with invul bug, depending on how many replays the bots save and keep. If positive I'll edit this post.

Last edited:
Thanks Kyouzo, this is extremely valuable data! Especially the crash replays. Now I can exactly track down what happens right before the game crashes, especially since the replays crash aswell!

Good job mate!

EDIT: Interesting. Most of the crash logs actually reference the same memory adress for multiple games:
Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\war3.exe
Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 0023:027D0C91

The instruction at '0x027D0C91' referenced memory at '0x00000020'.
The memory could not be 'read'.
'0x027D0C91' appears in all crashlogs except one. It seems to be a very specific function that causes these crashes. Also, I expect this to be an out-of-bounds error. I probably try to access a variable that hasn't been initialized. I'll check the replays to gather more info.

EDIT2: Thanks to your replays, I was able to find the vulnerable function. I guess I know how to fix it now.

Last edited:
Level 5
Thanks Kyouzo, this is extremely valuable data! Especially the crash replays. Now I can exactly track down what happens right before the game crashes, especially since the replays crash aswell!

Good job mate!

EDIT: Interesting. Most of the crash logs actually reference the same memory adress for multiple games:

'0x027D0C91' appears in all crashlogs except one. It seems to be a very specific function that causes these crashes. Also, I expect this to be an out-of-bounds error. I probably try to access a variable that hasn't been initialized. I'll check the replays to gather more info.
Righto. Damn f%c^ing anytime! That one exceptions is prolly just me CTDing cuz there was one case like that where others didn't.

EDIT2: Thanks to your replays, I was able to find the vulnerable function. I guess I know how to fix it now.
Very good news. I'll dig that replay too now that I know it's the method you prefer with bug reports.

Level 5
In the meanwhile, please check this FL fight bugged at the very end of this replay. I think it's the same generally weird aggro and behavior of mobs that causes it in the roots. Also note how my bishop fails to gain aggro a lot of times at d3 mobs even with 1.2k crits and the mobs just keep attacking Gaspode's troops.
View attachment FL bug.w3g

Level 5
Here is another where at one of the ogre boss raids (at 1hr 2mins into the game), they bug too. In this one you can see a weird respawn point/a unit from the waves remaining behind then respawning too, right after the bridge into d3 after killing Lieutenant. In both this and the FL bug replay you can see Lady's mark of vampire not healing her or any attackers. Also in both you can see minor oddities in mob aggros randomly attacking or just mindlessly sticking to one target. Seems something fundamental went wrong somewhere between 1.2A and 1.2B with so many weird behaviors.
View attachment Ogre boss bug.w3g

Level 5
A bug involving weird full inventory drop and a ring of regeneration appearing at deat. Personally first time ever seeing/hearing of it but it apparently has been around for some time. I'm not sure if it can be categorized as a bug but if walking plagues at Garg can be stopped from spawning stuck in terrain, it would help a great lot!
View attachment Item drop at death bug.w3g

A bug involving weird full inventory drop and a ring of regeneration appearing at deat. Personally first time ever seeing/hearing of it but it apparently has been around for some time. I'm not sure if it can be categorized as a bug but if walking plagues at Garg can be stopped from spawning stuck in terrain, it would help a great lot!
View attachment 148543
This bug has been around for a long time already. To be honest, I'm out of ideas on this one. There is no script that runs directly on player death in this game so I'm completely puzzled why that happens. It must be something that WC3 messes up.
I've given up on fixing this bug.

Luckily, it happens only very rarely and can usually be fixed with a reload.

Garg spawns will be fixed next version.

Ogre and Fire Lord behaviour mostly are results from the bugged spellcasts and threat orders. Will be fixed in 1.2B(5).

Level 5
Zwieb I only seen it 3 or 4 times in the ~3.5 years I been around Gaias. I found the game it happened in, and I got its replay today somehow. But for some reason I can't watch it to make 100% sure. And I never had this problem with replays. I asked lunaghost support and they claim the local address of the map hosted is (wc3 directory)/maps/download, which was the only reason I could think of, for not letting me watch it. See if you can find a way to watch it you're the whiz.
View attachment 23899.w3g

About permastuns, I've generally seen it happen once or twice. Once it was a crusader stun by murlocs and we had to kill him.

Thanks for the replays. About the permastun issue:
I received a very generic report about "buffs sometimes don't run out". Now, thanks to the incredibly specific bug reports I receive, I'm not sure what is the correct asumption:

1) the guy who told me that sometimes buffs last forever was only talking about stun and generalizing from there
2) this applies to all buffs, not just stun

I'm pretty sure this is the same issue. But I'm not sure if it is only true for stuns (which means I debug the stun buff specifically) or for all buffs (which means the error is in the system). Which makes this very time consuming to fix since I now have to investigate on all fronts.

See, guys, this is why you have to be specific in your bug reports. "XYZ doesn't work" is not enough, mostly.
The more information you can give me, the better.

I checked the replay you send me about the stun bug. It seems to happen at random, I couldn't find any connection between the stun and any of the player actions at this replay. Which makes it hard to solve. But I'll try my best.

if someone finds a sure-fire way to reproduce this, please tell me asap.

Level 9
Things were happening in a game I had with Box and some others where Symbol of Fury, Mend and Soul Sickness lasted forever but this only happened occasionally not every time, also encountered perma-stuns in that game as well

Level 5
How'd you watch that replay? Was it the correct invul bug one? My warcraft says I don't have the same map; if there is a trick to watching a replay like that will you share?

How'd you watch that replay? Was it the correct invul bug one? My warcraft says I don't have the same map; if there is a trick to watching a replay like that will you share?
I haven't watched that replay yet. I was talking about Ihaz comment.

EDIT: Maybe it was using the pre-hotfixed version of 1.2B(4)fix ... not much i can do then since I don't have that version anymore.

Last edited:
Level 5
Found the problem. It was map_path set to just map name in the config file from Shapy times and I just changed it to Maps\Download\mapname to be able to see replay normally now. To see that one, copy the current version of the map into warcraft III folder itself not anywhere in the maps folder.

It's the right replay now that I checked and the bug appears near the end of minute 57. Till then they seem to be behaving fine. There is a minor bug also with being stuck in battle and not being able to teleport or rest cuz of it which happens a few times in this same game.

There was several occasion where my cleric was standing outside D1 to heal Euarchangel's brad as he was farming scrolls from Zibnix, to heal him when out. Since once cast, a spell will land on target no matter the distance in Gaias, it made me wonder:

If I'm standing out of D1 like in this replay and cast heal on someone who enters it, via which he's teleported to a faraway cell in northwest corner and he in no way aggros the mobs hes just passing by, and so my heal outaggros his initial aggro, what are the mobs gonna do when they can't travel to me to hit me? Is that maybe the cause of this specific instance of the stuck in battle bug?

If I'm standing out of D1 like in this replay and cast heal on someone who enters it, via which he's teleported to a faraway cell in northwest corner and he in no way aggros the mobs hes just passing by, and so my heal outaggros his initial aggro, what are the mobs gonna do when they can't travel to me to hit me? Is that maybe the cause of this specific instance of the stuck in battle bug?
Basicly, this is how the reset algorithm works:

It checks every 0.5 seconds if the aggroed creep is within a distance X of it's original spawn location. X varies for dungeon mobs and certain unique mobs.
Also, it checks if the first-in-threat is within Y (a much larger value than X) of the creep. This is to make sure that creeps reset when the tank leaves an area via means of teleports or dungeon entry beacons.
If one of those two checks fail, the creep will return.

Creeps actually have 3 states: 1, being in combat normally, 2, returning to the camp position and 3, successfully returned to the camp position, waiting for other creeps in it's pack to arrive there. There is a forced teleport after 10 seconds between 2 and 3, which works as a safety mechanism against pathing exploits.

That being said, you have an interesting theory there!
There might be something bugging up if a creep enters state 2 (due to the outrange check immediately returning true) immediately when being pulled. It's unlikely (since the states are programmed to always follow in order, so 2 requires 1 and 3 requires 2, etc.), but it's possible. I'll check that corner-case out just to go sure.
And thanks for instructions how to fix the replay. I'll see if I can extract something valuable out of it.

You could try out your idea. If what you assume is true, it should be reproducable.

Status
Not open for further replies.