• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #25 - Dark Elves/Drow

Status
Not open for further replies.
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.241100

texturing.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png
5.png

drow_by_francis001-jpg.241102

Dark Elves/Drow
Contestants are to create a skin representing a dark elf(drow as they are otherwise known) person/being or any construct related to it using the vanilla models or the custom ones found on the site.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the Skin Resource section.
Remember to write in the description "Entry for the 25th Texturing Contest". Furthermore:
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the skin submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any texture does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • The model you are skinning can either be an in-game one or a custom one.
  • No model edits are allowed.
  • Textures must be no larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry, though you may work in 1024 (or higher), but they must be resized down to 512.
  • Preferably the submitted skin should be 100% freehand(No CnP's or recolors allowed).
prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon. Also the chance of getting a unique thematic rank icon done specifically regarding preference
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Each judge will receive 5 reputation points.
contest%20judging.png

Shading
Does the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/30%

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?/40%

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?/30%
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on June 28th 2016, 18:00 GMT and conclude on July 31st 2016, 20:00 GMT August 15th 2016, 18:00 GMT

Last edited:

Moy

Moy

Level 49
First comment. XD

I don't know IF I could join this since my time will be very limited this YEAR. I'm too focused with school and our thesis project. But I will do my best to join XD

EDIT:
Also I saw on the rules stating you could only use models in-game whereas on the description we are free to choose either vanilla or custom models.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

• The contest shall begin on June 28th 2016, 18:00 GMT and conclude on July 31st 2016, 20:00 GMT

that means i can start right away right? if it is, i start now.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

so, drow or dark elf, is a vicious evil dark skinned recolored of night elf version with much more spider theme?

i have a plan for it. WIP

Attachments

• HeroDeathKnight.png
    HeroDeathKnight.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 562
  • WIP 1.jpg
    WIP 1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

What this texture relation with Traggey? o_O

more WIP. finished the weapon.

Attachments

• HeroDeathKnight wip 1.png
    HeroDeathKnight wip 1.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 528
  • HeroDeathKnight WIP 2.png
    HeroDeathKnight WIP 2.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 539
  • WIP 2.jpg
    WIP 2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 522

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Terribad. It doesn't get badder than that.

Seriously, though. You seem to pull off the wrap rather well. I'm sure the judges *cough* will award those who can pull it off on a horrible wrap. It will always be taken into consideration how well the wrap was handled.

@Traggey, looking good there.

Oh, and remember we host the WC3 Unit Wrap Compilation Project. It would prove useful to those who's having a hard time with the wraps: WC3 Unit Wrap Compilation Project

New Official Policy:
In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the Skin Resource section. Remember to write in the description "Entry for the 25th Texturing Contest".

Any final entry that has not been submitted to the Skin Resouce section will be disqualified. The reason for this is that contest entries are supposed to be in the resource section in order for users to search for contest entries. It's simply a mess having so many awesome contest entries attached to a post in so many diffrent threads. Furthermore all contest entries are to be found in the respective resource sections.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Now that's a peculiar addition, yet understandable. For example, I wouldn't've bothered to do that.
Hence why we made it an official policy. I don't think it's peculiar addition at all.

It ensures contest entries to:
  • Have a screenshot.
  • Be in the right format (.BLP)
  • Be organized.
  • Easy to find in the resource section for everyone.
  • Have a guide on how to import it (see How to Import X resource on every resource page)
  • Be able to view in 3D with animations.
I hope this new policy doesn't prevent anyone from joining. Not that I can understand why it would even do that in the first place.

@Traggey It's coming along nicely :) Keep it up!

Also, we have updated the first place award. Check the first post ;)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
That's an... Interesting new rule. I suppose it's nice for organization's sake, but the problem we had in previous Contests was that those who posted it to the appropriate Resource Section (first) got an unfair advantage over those that didn't; it gave them much wider exposure & more critique, thus allowing them to improve it more than others who did not receive that same exposure/critique.

I guess if everyone does it, it evens the field, but it still benefits those who do so first.

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Traggey: Looks great, very clean! Might be a little dark in-game, imo.
Sin'dorei300: I assume so, there's already Driders, so justify it somehow and you're gold xD

Small update, still tinkering around with it. Might jump to the rider next, to get a better idea of what colours to nerf for better composition :p

EDIT: Oh, and final update for the day. Shamelessly borrowing the helmet design from Romm-boss :grin:

Attachments

• Outrider_WIP2.jpg
    Outrider_WIP2.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 292
  • Outrider_WIP3.jpg
    Outrider_WIP3.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
It greatly depends however. For example, Daenar did a fairly good job on it even if it yielded some impurities concerning it.
Most of the problem lies with overlapping seams and stretched parts like the wings and hair among others.

It is mostly a deal of managing your way around it with BIG compromises like quality simplification for the purpose of not having to display a horrid texture on it.

'love the helmet design A.R : )

Is it allowed to make some half dark elf creatures?
I mean, for example, some half drow-half naga, half drow-half satyr, maintaining most of the drow's characteristics but having a tail, or hoofs, or wings, or horns ...
Some explanation and a fair management at integrating those aspects to the drow one should be your ticket.
The creative factor after all is greatly encouraged if it can show good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.