• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Mini-Contest #2 - Mysterious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
x0nw46.png

Terrain Mini-Contest #2
Mysterious

IF YOU DON'T POST YOUR ENTRY IN THIS THREAD IT WILL NOT BE COUNTED!

THEME: The second mini-contest theme is Mysterious. It has been a popular poll choice for the larger contests, but has never been chosen, so I figured I would use it here. The interpretation of this theme is up to you.

DEADLINE: Monday 15th of March. A new contest will NOT be hosted after this, but instead about a month after this, due to the upcoming major terrain contest. I tried to get this up as soon as possible so the Ancient Mythology contest can start on the Ides of March ;]

Last edited:
Level 12
Count me in. I may or may not be able to make the deadline. I have a big test coming up on the 14th which I have to study for. I'll see if I can get this done in my spare time.

Level 12
Count me in. I may or may not be able to make the deadline. I have a big test coming up on the 14th which I have to study for. I'll see if I can get this done in my spare time.

I feel there must be some irony here, considering how much I've already done.

Here's a quick preview of my terrain. Of course, it's far from done, and still needs a lot of fine-tuning, but here it is. I call it "The Hooded Man."

Attachments

• The Hooded Man 1.jpg
    The Hooded Man 1.jpg
    905.4 KB · Views: 437
Level 36
CoBrA b, I suggest you remove the sun flare blob that you put above the sun. Just leave the sun without flares. If you're going to put sun flares, I want you to, at least, know that sun flares point toward the center of the lens (screenshot) and are, essentially, like the radius of a circle which has a midpoint of the center of the screenshot and a circumference that intersects the position of the sun. It's a little more complicated than that, but that should do for terraining, at least.

Level 12
CoBrA b, I suggest you remove the sun flare blob that you put above the sun. Just leave the sun without flares. If you're going to put sun flares, I want you to, at least, know that sun flares point toward the center of the lens (screenshot) and are, essentially, like the radius of a circle which has a midpoint of the center of the screenshot and a circumference that intersects the position of the sun. It's a little more complicated than that, but that should do for terraining, at least.

Okay. I took your advice. Which looks better, with or without the flare?

Attachments

• Hooded Man 2.jpg
    Hooded Man 2.jpg
    885.2 KB · Views: 334
  • Hooded Man 3.jpg
    Hooded Man 3.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 334
Level 12
will gief rep for ideas...

Mysterious: Create a terrain that invokes a sense of mystery. Perhaps a spooky wood, or a lone corpse in a field.

My ideas (not the best, but I think they're okay):

A secret gathering of _______s in front of a _______ under cover of night.

A lone figure walking through some ancient ruins (at night).

A dead body inside of a temple or church.

A mysterious rider riding through misty mountains.

A simple ghost town.

A deserted ruined city.

A shrine to a dark god high up on a mountain.

A lone figure rushing through the night to get somewhere or do something.

Level 10
What a theme... Gives you a lot of choices wich is hard, means you can choose between many things so you have to come up with something yourself :p. I like it more when you get a "do this" theme and then just do it.

Level 10
It's not fair. :(
raid will win all times if his terrains are of the same quality as the elven one. D:
I have begun working on mine, will finish it tomorrow. I'm not sure if it fits the theme, and I'm not sure what the hell I have done, but it looks pretty good in my eyes D:

Level 15
Alright, here's my first WIP, and what a Work in progress it is. I still have some things to do with it, but i thought i'd post what i have done so far.

And i didn't steal anyone's ideas, i got this idea yesterday, long before anyone else started posting ideas :p

Attachments

• Mysterious-WIP.png
    Mysterious-WIP.png
    393.6 KB · Views: 252
Level 19
rocks > all!
so will it be better to use the rock tile which sux? or maybe teh steinlords model which sux even more
im happy with my rocks so far :>

Level 10
Okay, here comes mine. As I said, I don't know if this fits the theme, but I tried. Was a hard theme...

EDIT: Updated.

Attachments

• Ziggen+MiniContest2-MysteriousEdit1.PNG
    Ziggen+MiniContest2-MysteriousEdit1.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Level 10
Ziggen, yours is kinda cozy =D Acoltyes ftw, i like the "mountain" and the vampire but i dont like the forground as keji said.

Oziris, I love the grass and the rocks in yours. But the mist should be start at the start of the picture not in the back of it. And the tree in the front, the trunk must be thinner.

Level 19
@Oziris needs to tint down the rock chunks and the strategically placed cloud and maybe add some ferns or something to make it look fuller
@Ziggen the foreground needs a lot of work, the cave entrance just pwns, the ship is kinda random and pls tell me how you made the blueish fog in the background :D

Level 36
Okay, here comes mine. As I said, I don't know if this fits the theme, but I tried. Was a hard theme...

Hmm the tiles. Tiles are usually built in some kind of pattern, or at least to form some kind of path... Tiles like that, which look rather fancy and ornate, are usually built inside buildings to make some kind of symmetrical path or floor. It could be a ruined floor, but no, it couldn't, because the edges of the tiles look like they were meant to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.