• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Mini-Contest #1 - Elven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Much better. Not how about that ashenvale (is it ashenvale? Oh God it's been so long I'm forgetting my doodads!) tree? What's it doing there?

Level 36
The Results

NOTE: If I missed your terrain because it wasn't in the thread, that's your problem and not mine. I tried my best to find all of the entries. PLEASE people, next time put your submissions in the thread, or they WILL NOT BE COUNTED. The winner of this contest did not even post his entry in the thread, for fuck's sake.

CoBrA b:
It's ok. The hill on the side, though, is much too steep. You really don't get things that steep without landslides and erosion wiping all the ground away, leaving bare rock behind. Trees wouldn't have time to grow.
The statue at the top is ok, but you can see the bottoms of the rocks, and that really looks like crap. The sky is also rather bleh. That huge rock on the right is really ugly. The waterfall is too dark. The cliff is too straight and looks more like a painted concrete wall. There is also no contrast.
5/10

Nbah:
I love the fog. I also love the tree tint you used. The rocks on the sides of the water could be sized up a bit and lowered, because right now they look like little land pimples (lolz). The city is pretty good looking, but there's some empty space behind it that could be filled with some hills or something.
That tree on the right. Not only is it a bad model, but it doesn't fit with the terrain AT ALL. The medley of plants in the front you used is awkward and, in my opinion, the colors don't go together. You should cover up the ugly sky box with a stormsphere and some cloud models.
6/10

Belgarath:
I like the "diffused" feel it has. The fog color is perfect. The trees you picked are nice, as are the shrubs on the ground. It really looks like a mystical forest glade.
Those ferns are too big, and you should've used the green versions rather than the orange ones. You made a poor choice of rock models. Those shrub trees are good, but their level of detail is too high compared to the trees you used, and their sharpness ruins the soft look everything else has. The log stands out the most, but is a bad model with bad textures. I would rather have seen a primitive altar with some candles, that would have fit perfectly.
6.5/10

Sabertooth:
I like the gate, it looks golden and elven, and nice. I like your tree and grass colors, but I think you could've used some variation. I love that little bridge... somewhat.
I think the cobbles ruin it. You should have used a different tile, like the white brick from Dalaran. You should have made more, and bigger, rock formations. The sky is empty and the white of the sky sticks out like my gigantic penis, but in a bad way ;]
5.5/10

Grave_Digger:
You seem to have entered 3 times, so I'm going to judge the newest one. Those tree houses are cool, but in a forest where trees would grow that large, they would also be denser. There would also be some smaller saplings on the forest floor, and a lot more foliage. It's also kind of repetitive, I would have liked to have seen some trees that weren't houses.
The units kinda stand in the way, and their glowy eyes don't help. The ground lacks foliage. The archer is unnecessary and should be removed, it's an eyesore. Those red mushrooms look really bad, too, you should have used the green ones. The green fog looks like poisonous gas. Assuming that's the sky in the background and not a giant wall, you should have put some faint clouds and cover the rest up with some more big trees.
4.5/10

ArcticInferno:
I like the altar and the statues, but that's really just about it. I would like to have seen a custom rock wall with some more jaggedness and natural variation rather than that dome model. The ground is messy, as well.
The tiles you used don't really blend at all. The assassins and bandits wreck it; you should have just put one or two units in front of the altar. The stalagmites are horrible. You should have used more, and larger rock formations.
5/10

Megafyr:
I like the structure, but that's just about it. The trees you used on the ground, the pines, look more like brown obelisks of ugliness. The green trees you used do not look good from above. The white fog is also a little meh, I would rather have seen some color in it, and maybe some clouds or a sky.
The dude standing on top of the dome looks kinda out of place, and is also too big. The gray building on the left is out of place. That's really all I have to say.
6/10

Keiji:
The construction is very creative, and near-perfect. I think you could have continued the roof around the corner (to make a "T" shape), and maybe used two trees instead of one on the left. The altar/statue thing is very nice. The upside-down fences on the roof look great, and the mountains are done well.
Those post lanterns are unnecessary, they conflict with the braziers. In the middle, where the arches are, it looks like the city just ends there. I think you could have put a few sinister-looking people here and there.
6.5/10

Ziggen:
Those light-bridge roofs are very nice. I love the waterfalls.
The trees you used don't fit together. The forest is too thin, I think. The mountains are also too high, and seem like they are just cardboard shapes rather than mountains, since they have no visible variation on the Y axis. Those elven buildings are too small, to sparse, and look silly. The leaves in between them ruin it as well.
5/10

Lancer1111:
Meh. The rock clusters are nice, I'll give you that, since most others who participated in this contest place their rocks terribly.
The rest is just blah. Boring. The fog is wrong. The sky is seemingly nonexistent and does not blend with the fog. The shrubs and tiles seem randomly placed. The units don't seem to be doing anything other than ambling around aimlessly, so why put them there? The purpose of putting units in a terrain is for dramatic emphasis, and if you want to emphasize the randomness and boringness of this terrain, that is most certainly what you are doing with those units. It is also sloppily done, I can see "Screen Captured", which is really not a good thing at all.
3.5/10

Nyuu:
The construction is brilliant and original. I love those floating things above the water. The bridge itself is one of the most amazing acts of doodad construction I have seen in a long time. The fog color is perfect. Now for the negativities ;]
The cliffs are boring. Very boring. They look like they are made of mud, and if they were, they would erode away. They seem very amorphous, they need some rocks, they seem like, after their vertex, they just go straight down into a pit of ugliness behind them. The crystals are too large, I think, and poorly placed, mostly because they are the only things on the cliffs, which emphasizes them in all the wrong ways. The grassy cliff areas are just empty. The construction makes up for all this, though.
6.5/10

Handycombinder:
The only thing I really like here is the setting and those lovely little lantern things. The rest is blah, and I will tell you why.
The tile variation seems mechanical and boring. The trees don't fit at all. The edges seem unfinished and incomplete. It looks like an early-stage WIP. There is seemingly no background, and the fog starts too far away and its color doesn't fit at all. Light fog at night that doesn't affect the sky or the foreground? I don't think so.
3.5/10

Syltman:
The cliffs are ok... at least you used the sexy rock model! The rest... meh.
The glows. I want to remove the glow doodad from the UTM solely for this reason. GLOW SPAM DOES NOT LOOK GOOD!!! The upper right corner is empty. There is a lot of ugly clipping. The foreground is boring and empty. The tile variation, if you can call it that, is ugly, square and the tiles don't fit the theme. Furthermore, I don't see anything remotely elven about this screenshot other than a few elvish units, which isn't how you should represent the theme. Units are like multipliers; they only look good (or represent a theme) if the rest of the terrain does too.
4/10

Leeroy:
The leaves on the trees look ugly and square (or hexagonal, that is). The rest is just messy. The arches are ok and the river at the bottom is ok as well. The cliff in the middle is so empty and it ruins the terrain. The tree choice is a little meh. Furthermore, why are there only rocks on the very edges of the river? Don't you know how ugly this looks? The tile variation is nonexistent. The fog is nice.
4.5/10

Oziris:
Why the fuck is there a road made of bedrock? Why are the ferns so bright when the weeds on the rock tile are dark green? The glow spam is too much, and the blue sky (or the green fog, I can't quite make up my mind) ruins it. The color/tinting scheme is all over the place, and I don't like it at all. The rest is seemingly well-executed. You're getting there... I think.
5/10

Raid1000 (I got the 1000 right this time! :p):
The use of trees is very nice. The cliffs are brilliant, but those default lordaeron rocks look like pimples or warts (I can't tell which...). The construction itself is very solid, well-articulated and fits the color scheme perfectly. In fact, that's the best thing about this terrain. The red/orange and gray/white color scheme looks VERY elven and absolutely perfect. The fog and lighting is very nice.
The level of detail and sharpness of the shrubs doesn't fit with the smoothness of the cliffs, trees and buildings. The lighting clips in several places (bottom left). The sky seems bleak, but mellow, which is ok; but could be better.
7/10

Acvong:
The effect is nice, but it clips towards the front and also with the sky. You should have placed a stormsphere. The doodad placement is also somewhat sketchy and messy. There isn't really more to say; it's a solid terrain other than the clipping issues.
5/10

Mr. Goblin:
HOLY ROFLCOPTER FUCKING NICE ATMOSPHERE!!! There are some rough edges with it, however, like the clipping and the sharp edges of the light from above model.
The environment is, if it isn't the stretched, flat models on the top, very messy, and again, the level of detail doesn't fit with the rest of the terrain. The model choices are kinda bad. Those units don't work with the terrain, really. About 200 pixels on either side of the image could just be cropped, and the whole thing would look much better.
6.5/10

Winner = Raid1000, by a fraction of a point. I am very pleased with the amount of submissions, this mini-contest idea is really working out. I'll have another one up either today or tomorrow. Congratulations, again, to Raid1000, I must say he is now among the "elite" class of terrainers.
+5 Cookie

Level 12
Yay! I didn't get last place this time! (came damn close, though). I'll definitely be in the next one.

Congratulations to Raid1000!

Level 36
By the way, if you think my judging is harsh; I don't think there's a terrain out there I would give a 10/10, or a model, or a skin. Why? Well I think that giving a 10 is very restricting. A 10 assumes that there is nothing else better, or possible to be better, which is never true.

Level 19
void you credit me to much i didnt even say i joined the contest ^^ but what the heck im 1337 now :D
DRINKS ALL AROUND!

Level 2
I didn't find any original ideas or something special in Raid1000's elven mansion, (he used hi res texture model for cliff, i didn't do that because i was thinking i brake the rules),don't have a wish to take part in next competition after this judge..

P.S. Please, sorry for my bad english

Level 36
Regardless, his was the best of the lot. If I gave you a bunch of toddler's drawings and then an amateur artist's work, the superlative is clear, but that doesn't make it the best artwork ever. Is it clear enough now? I'm just doing my job as a judge.

I'm not at all bothered if you don't want to participate in the next contest, though. It's your choice.

Level 34
Those are some harsh scores.
Grats raid.

Hey Void, could you use links in the results next time? That would be sweet. Maybe update the original post with the results instead, just to make finding the results easier?

Status
Not open for further replies.