• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Contest #2 - Poll

Whose terrain is the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
20 posts in this thread just died. For various reasons. Not all of the spamming, which came as a HUGE surprise to me. :grin:

What's going on, you ask?

Q & A

Q: Why were the posts deleted?
A: You spam too much. Don't.

Q: This poll was up fast.
A: Any reason it shouldn't be?

Q: OMG, I voted for myself! D:
A: Well, the count has been fixed, but as for your name on the "View Results" page... keep dreaming....

Q: HT is going to win because it's a popularity contest! Unfair!
A: This is new how?

Q: No, seriously, you should do something about this!
A: I have. We have judging.

Q: This contest sucks!
A: Nice.

Q: This contest was really nice!
A: Great.

Q: Ghan sucks.
A: Hmm....

Q: Ghan is amazing.
A: Hmm....

Q: I thought you had given up on this thread.
A: You have no idea.

Q: ...
A: Thank you for your cooperation.

Level 36
Also, I think the whole "mountains" theme failed the big one. IMO themes should be more specific, but still allow creativity and originality. If you know what I mean. Things like "light" (from WC3Campaigns weekly terrain) are good, but things like Valley or Mountains are less good.

Level 11
I think the ability to impress the public as well as judges shows real talent.

A less drastic solution, give the judges more weight in the outcome, and the public poll less.

But let's stay on topic... I like seeing all these votes/participants. The last contest had very few voters, and about a 3rd as many participants. Woo for terraining! ('-'d)

Oh another thing lol... moving into my apartment so i wont have internet for two weeks, thus will miss the contest outcome. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Level 10
Well Frost it's moved off of "HT IS WINNING CUZ OF POPLARTY"
And just into a general discussion for the next contest being more heavily judge-weighted.
Which is good.
varsaigen said:
And Sabertooth, you'd have to ask Pyritie about the icons

Py hasn't asked I believe, but I don't know if he has direct power like that now. And I don't know who hands out the icons anymore, I thought it was Wolv/Ralle.

Level 34
Don't really want my judging to be the high end. Maybe 50-50, but not 70-30 for judging. I think either 40 judging - 60 poll, or 30 judging - 70 poll.

Yeah,turn the mistake into your favour.I'm calling an admin to sort this out

Please do, I hope you get an infraction for spamming.

Well, since I see a lot of people complaining, I decided to quit this. Why? Even if I win some dou--people will still go "OMFG U GOT UR FANBOIZ 2 WOTE 4 U!!!!11!!". So, here it is, take your bloody competition.
Good night.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Such an idi*t you are.

Why filter out Idiot?

On top of that, why turn things into an Ad Homenim argument simply because you weren't winning? HT, just like everyone else, put effort into what he made. He's since dropped out because you're on your periods.

I voted for HT, I thought his terrain was the best there. So now I'm a HT fanboy? Hardly. On top of that, HT hasn't asked for anybody to vote for him; somewhat unlike the people that spammed the chat saying 'VOTE 4 ME VOTE 4 ME'.

Don't be a jerkoff; what you're doing is unneeded. We all know that everyone has put in a lot of time and effort into their terrain, however that doesn't allow you to cry when you lose.

Level 24
Dudes get my point,I dispise the guys that whine all day because of HT winning.

I adressed that message to them for ruining the contest and making some potential voters,not vote because they would be called fan boy,surely his terrain is the best.

That's why its the game winner,but you all seemed to have understood that I'm against him.

And I am leaving this contest as well,wont get my hands dirty if one of the complainers win.

Why i can't find it in the vote box? >_<

Well, since I see a lot of people complaining, I decided to quit this. Why? Even if I win some dou--people will still go "OMFG U GOT UR FANBOIZ 2 WOTE 4 U!!!!11!!". So, here it is, take your bloody competition.
Good night.

NearbyHermit, stop your bitching.

Level 22

Ghan_04 activates Mecheon mode.

Gentlemen. Seriously. What the fuck have you done here?

By the Gods, what crap is this?

I am simply appalled at this thread.

I believe that Gilles stated quite simply that any further bleating about this subject would be punished. And you have quite completely ignored him.

NEWS FLASH, ladies and gentlemen. You do not simply ignore the rules.
I honestly had a lot of faith in you all. I am beginning to think I misjudged you. Are you all the kind of immature, petty bickerers that you find it necessary to complain about an INTERNET CONTEST that won't make one DAMN BIT OF DIFFERENCE EVEN ONE YEAR FROM NOW?

Are you the sort of bunch that would whine profusely because you didn't get your way at every turn, then turn hostile at anyone who would point out your ridiculousness?

Posters, I am a Moderator and this thread is being moderated. You all are now done. If you cannot handle being in a simple contest with a public poll, which, I remind you, YOU KNEW IT WOULD BE FROM THE BEGINNING, then, please, GTFO. HappyTauren? Well, let me see, I don't know, perhaps he didn't go out and beg people for votes. Perhaps he did. While we don't permit spam, I don't give a rat's ass if you go and ask people to vote for you in a mature and reasonable manner. That should be your right. But because people do not automatically vote for you more, this happens? I think not.

This thread is now closed. Thank you for your discussion. If possible, I will leave the poll open for further voting. If not, TOO BAD, SO SAD FOR YOU. The results stand. GET. A. LIFE. PLEASE.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ghan_04 deactivates Mecheon mode.

Level 22
Ladies and Spammers!
We have a winner!

Here are your official results to this Terrain Contest. Feast your eyes.
Congrats to the winners.

Rep will be handed out shortly, with the icon coming a bit later.

TerrainContestVotes.gif

Level 22
Well.
I forgot to post the comments that Gilles had for everyone.

Here you go. Enjoy.

Judging

Overall Appearance : How good does your terrain look overall. /10
Creativity: How original and creative was your terrain. /5
Theme: How relevant was your terrain to the chosen theme. /5
Technical: How difficult, or technical was your terrain. /5

RunningAway

Overall Appearance 9/10: A very good terrain. I quite liked this. The buildings in the rocks looks great, and all the small details really help make this terrain. The atmosphere and lighting were also very well done (Although how is it so sunny when it's raining?)

Creativity 5/5: Never seen a terrain quite like this one, definitely original. The creativity with the doodads was quite good. I like the clothesline!

Theme 4/5: Quite mountainous, but the lake really draws your eyes. Not quite perfect, but still very close.

Technical 5/5: One of the best here. The sizing of the doodads is perfect, and the use is great. I don't see a flaw anywhere.

frostwhisper

Overall Appearance 6/10: The background mountains ruin this one. I like the rest, but the emptiness of those mountains really stick out like a sore thumb for me. You really should have put small trees at the base for more distance allusion, and a better overall feel.

Creativity 3/5: Not the most creative terrain.

Theme 5/5: I doubt you could get anymore mountainous.

Technical 4/5: The background mountains again lost you a point, but the rest is quite good. A nice variation of trees, and good use of shrubs and grass. The tile variation is quite nice on the far mountains and the road in the foreground.

Mechmap

Overall Appearance 5/10: I don't like the rock spires in this one. There are too many scattered. The atmosphere is good, but the whole terrain looks the same.

Creativity 2/5: Not a very original or creative terrain.

Theme 4/5: It's good, but I think of volcano more than mountain. I realize a volcano is a mountain, but I said the word mountain has to come to mind, not volcano.

Technical 2/5: Not a very challenging terrain. Again, the rock spires were poorly used, and there isn't actually a whole lot to the terrain.

Just_Spectating

Overall Appearance 6/10: It looks nice, but a those dead trees really take away from it. I find them a real eye sore.

Creativity 3/5: I struggled on what to give you. A frozen land is not all that creative, but some of the things like the frozen river are.

Theme 3/5: It's got mountains in the background, but they really don't stand out, and the first thing the viewer would think is frozen.

Technical 4/5: Some good use of doodads (the stairs for example). The river is a nice idea, but it looks pretty poor.

~Void~

Overall Appearance 10/10: A very good terrain, one of your best. The lighting is amazing, and it looks like a real work of art.

Creativity 3/5: Not super creative, but the creative use of glow doodads will get you a 3.

Theme 4/5: I get a real mountains feeling from the terrain. The background mountain really stands out as well.

Technical 5/5: No flaws, and the use of doodads is stunning. This may not seem like a very difficult terrain at a glance, but the way everything fits is awesome.

Sabertooth

Overall Appearance 5/10: I gotta say I'm disappointed, I expected more from Sabertooth. Everything is fine except for the actual mountain. To be honest, it's hideous.

Creativity 3/5: The mountain is anything nut creative, but the small floating things are quite creative.

Theme 5/5: What can I say, it's a huge mountain.

Technical 3/5: The mountain is just a blob with tiles, but other areas/floaty things are well done.

Megafyr

Overall Appearance 7/10: I would have given more, except the sizing of doodads is off, and wrecks the terrain somewhat. It's quite hard to explain.

Creativity 4/5: I thought this was a very creative terrain.

Theme 4/5: Quite mountainous, but again, I think water/rocky, not mountains.

Technical 3/5: A very good use of rock doodads, it's too bad the sizing is off. The light is a bit awkward, and overpowering, but does add to the terrain.

redscores

Overall Appearance 6/10: I liked the terrain, but the clashing colors did turn me off somewhat.

Creativity 2/5: Not a very creative terrain.

Theme 4/5: It's a mountain, but the abuse of crystal takes away form the theme.

Technical 3/5: Not a very difficult terrain, but the doodads were clumped together well.

hellblazer-14

Overall Appearance 5/10: The area all around the house is nice, but the colors really clash. The large rocks on the mountain look awful.

Creativity 2/5: Not very creative.

Theme 3/5: There is a mountain (looks more like a hill to me), it isn't highlighted at all.

Technical 2/5: Not a very difficult terrain. One big house doodad, with a bunch of doodads around it.

Alleycat5

Overall Appearance 6/10: That big green circle sure isn't pretty.

Creativity 2/5: Don't see anything terribly creative.

Theme 4/5: It's definitely a mountainous.

Technical 2/5: I think that my be my least favorite tree in the editor. The way you designed the mountains are rather odd. I would have scaled down all the doodads.

Volvox

Overall Appearance 7/10: Pretty nice. Good atmosphere.

Creativity 2/5: Towers in a forest on a mountain isn't all that creative.

Theme 3/5: It's somewhat mountainous.

Technical 4/5: Good tree variation, depth, and atmosphere.

Overdose

Overall Appearance 5/10: The hills in the back look wrong for some reason, can't quite put my finger on it.

Creativity 3/5: Not that creative, although I like the building in the hill idea.

Theme 3/5: It's hilly, but not quite mountainous.

Technical 4/5: Some good use of doodads in the courtyard/outside the building. Nice chimney.

FamousPker49

Overall Appearance 8/10: The floating island is awesome, but the foreground needs work.

Creativity 5/5: Very creative!

Theme 3/5: Debated on this one. It's more of a hill, but still mountainous slightly.

Technical 4/5: Amazing atmosphere and island, but the foreground needs work.

varsaigen

Overall Appearance 6/10: The closeup on the ground texture is really ugly.

Creativity 4/5: Never seen a pompeii terrain before.

Theme 3/5: I think pompeii not mountain.

Technical 3/5: The explosion is nice, but the mountain needs work.

X.e.r.e.X

Overall Appearance 7/10: Quite nice stuff. The atmosphere is very good.

Creativity 4/5: For the dragons.

Theme 5/5: It's definitely a mountain.

Technical 4/5: The snow is done very well, good variation. Those are some big ass dragons btw.

sacridshadow
(I can't really see anything, but I'll do my best to judge)

Overall Appearance 3/10: I can't tell from here.

Creativity 4/5: It's the only real demon terrain.

Theme 3/5: I see some mountains in the back.

Technical 1/5: Again I can't tell from here.

Childeric

Overall Appearance 10/10: Tied for my personal favorite. Looks very good.

Creativity 2/5: Noting overly creative about this one.

Theme 5/5: That's a mountain for sure.

Technical 5/5: Very well made. Good lighting and very good scaling.

robot-dude

Overall Appearance 4/10: It's not that great.

Creativity 2/5: Not all that creative.

Theme: 2/5: I see some large rocks in the background that could pass as mountains I guess.

Technical 2/5: Hardly any doodads, and those rocks are ugly.

vnakira

Overall Appearance 6/10: The rocks look kind of cool, but otherwise I can't really see anything.

Creativity 4/5: Pretty creative.

Theme 3/5: The area is rocky and somewhat mountainous, but nothing that shouts mountains.

Technical 4/5: Good use of those rocks.

HappyTauren
(I'm still going to judge this for HT sake. I find it sad that he was forced to quit due to whiners)

Overall Appearance 8/10: Beautiful terrain.

Creativity 4/5: Quite creative with those buildings.

Theme 3/5: Not all that mountainous, more cityious.

Technical 4/5: Amazing work with the buildings, but the ground could have used work. Those plants are ugly.

Dakho

Overall Appearance 8/10: A very good terrain. Quite like it.

Creativity 4/5: The spire is quite creative.

Theme 4/5: More of a spire, but I'll give it to ya.

Technical 4/5: The hills were a bit spiky, but that spire is awesome.

Hawkwing

Overall Appearance 4/10: Not all that great. I think it was the green.

Creativity 3/5: Somewhat creative.

Theme 4/5: It's definitely a mountain.

Technical 3/5: I like the sky and falling meteors, but that green tile is just ugly.

[Death]

Overall Appearance 10/10: My other personal favorite. Amazing work.

Creativity 2/5: Not very creative.

Theme 4/5: Pretty mountainous in the background.

Technical 5/5: Flawless, and that sun is spectacular. Really feels like a sunset.

NearbyHermit

Overall Appearance 5/10: Not that great. I can barely tell what it is.

Creativity 4/5: Quite a creative terrain.

Theme 2/5: Is it a mountain? I sure can't tell.

Technical 3/5: I can barely tell what it is, but the distance was well done.

Belgarath

Overall Appearance 7/10: Fairly plain terrain, but it looks natural. Just lacks a wow factor.

Creativity 3/5: Pretty simplistic, but somehow I find it somewhat creative.

Theme 5/5: Definitely think mountain when I see that.

Technical 5/5: Pretty much flawless. I like the little villages.

Status
Not open for further replies.