• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #2 - Altered Melee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I am In, Ill do my best to finish until the contest, since I have got alot of free time.
But, I have a question, this is my first time I am participating in contest, so I have a question, do I have to submit my map on this thread when I am done with it?

Level 8
I am In, Ill do my best to finish until the contest, since I have got alot of free time.
But, I have a question, this is my first time I am participating in contest, so I have a question, do I have to submit my map on this thread when I am done with it?

Yes you have to submit your map... and you have only 3 day to do that.

(plz add 2 day)

Level 32
Well guys, the advent of Hero Contest #1 sucked a lot of wind out of this competition. In my opinion, (and one hopes everyone will agree,) engineering an entire techtree is far more difficult that building only one hero.

Lots of creative people have been drawn to that other contest, so in order to give those fellows a chance to participate here, I hereby officially extend the deadline for Techtree Contest #2 for three weeks.

[rainbow]Keep at it gang: everyone may now continue to develop their techtrees until:

13 April 2008 00:00 AM (GMT)[/rainbow]​

Level 8
Well guys, the advent of Hero Contest #1 sucked a lot of wind out of this competition. In my opinion, (and one hopes everyone will agree,) engineering an entire techtree is far more difficult that building only one hero.

Lots of creative people have been drawn to that other contest, so in order to give those fellows a chance to participate here, I hereby officially extend the deadline for Techtree Contest #2 for three weeks.

[rainbow]Keep at it gang: everyone may now continue to develop their techtrees until:

13 April 2008 00:00 AM (GMT)[/rainbow]​

Good, this is a good new i will do my best!:thumbs_up:

OFF TOPIC - Do you have some skin/model of skeletal dragon?

Level 11
I can still join, right? I have a lot of free time from now to the 13 of April, so I can develop two races. No problem.

And for everyone, wouldn't it be better to give the races names that we mortals can accualy remember? Like, ember_naga's Nagiranana and
Ligaigniters, a bit too long I think.

Level 3
I think I'll join this contest, just hope I can finish all in these ~2 weeks.
I got some really nice ideas when I woke up today, so I'm quite motivated.

Edit: Actually, I came up with a question:
We actually have to have heroes?
And did I got the point that, when our races are balanced, it's totally up to us how many units / structures they have? So like having 10 builders and 50 buildings for a race, yeah thats stupid, but if, would be all right, as long as it's getting balanced?

I also thought it would be good to get some early feedback, so I'll post the concept of my two races.
I actually tried to embed those two in the warcraft universe, TFT actually.
So we have the Kingdom and the Summoners.

The Kingdom actually consists of survivors of the scourges attack on lordaeron. Those fled to sea and sailed East. After some weeks they landed on an uncharted and unknown island. After they explored it, they discovered some "ruins". They actually found out that those ruins were remains of an high developed race. With dozend of writings, blueprints and tools from those ruins, they build up some technologic empire on this and nearby islands.
Now they're coming back to build up an Kingdom and kill all that stands in their way. And they're armed with new guns, tanks and aircraft.
But they actually sacrificied they're believe in magic, as they see the real power in technology.

On the other side we have the summoners, a group formed of the same survivors. When they made those new discoveries, there were some, mostly magicians, which couldn't befriend with this technology.
They were hunted by the kingdom for betrayal, as they believed in another thing. So they fled back to Azeroth, calling themselves the Summoners, with the power of magic and the Kingdom in their neck.

When I finished more work on them, I'll post a more detailed list featuring them.

Last edited:
Level 3
Sounds nice. Reminds me of what I've been thinking of.

I hope I'm not stealing your idea. I was just lying in my bed and then I got the idea with the summoners and afterwards an enemy for them, like.. yeah, a technologic race, so the Kingdom in my idea.
I kinda got inspired by a friend of mine. Some time ago we played SotDRP and I build a city which I named Arkania or something. Then he said he knews a game with that name, where magic and technology are together.
I never knew of that, but I guess after I read of this contest and brought it with this experience together, I came to my ideas.

Anyways my first techtree for the Kingdom, now renamed to Empire, is theoretical finished. I finished buildings, units and upgrades and I'm going to do abilities now and make a techtree for the Summoners.
Guess I can soon begin to balance everything out.

One more question:
Do we only have to attach the map or to make the techtrees visual, like this one?
If yes, what would you suggest would be best to make those? Paint, Photoshop? Gimp?

Level 3
I'm currently overworking the techtree for my Empire, but want to post some more information about them I have so far, to see what you people think.

So, the Empire is, like said before, formed of survivors of lordaeron. The self made Emperor actually saw the power lying in their discoveries and said magic would be heresy. It would worship the wrong thing. It couldn't protect them from the scourge, so it's time to try something new.
With the Empire born, all magicians, mostly elves and such, were banned and then hunted.
The new formed order feared that the scourge could follow them and that those banned would revolt. So they put all efforts in better armor, fortification and mobility.
The Empire has not many, but specialized troops. Every soldier or vehicle is specialized in doing one thing at it's best. To achieve this specialization all units need an high amount of time to be trained.
All units and buildings are heavily armored, but that results in slow speed and high costs.

Based on: Human
Strength: Defense, Air
Weakness: High costs, long build times, no magic, slow, more needed researches
Special: less but specialized units, less buildings - more building upgrades

definite Units (currently overworking):
Worker - Resource gatherer
Engineer - Builder and repairer

definite Heroes (currently overworking abilities):
Officer - Long ranged, swift hero - adept at supporting
Lead Engineer - Short ranged, well armored hero - adept at defending and fortifying
Knight - Well trained and versatile melee hero - adept at combat

definite Buildings (currently overworking)
Outpost - Main building, produces Workers, upgrades to Headquarter and Command Center

As I said, I'm currently overworking the whole techtree, so I'll soon post a more detailed list.
This is not final!

Level 7
I can still join, right? I have a lot of free time from now to the 13 of April, so I can develop two races. No problem.

And for everyone, wouldn't it be better to give the races names that we mortals can accualy remember? Like, ember_naga's Nagiranana and
Ligaigniters, a bit too long I think.

WELL!! I NEVER HEARD SOMEONE EVER SAID THAT TO ME :thumbs_down:!

... Lol, jk jk :grin:. Anyways, sorry that my species names are long ... but as long as it makes sense as a race it will be counted :bored:.

Plus I decided to change the name of Nagiranana to Nagiragana, not much difference yeah? However, how is it a long name btw :confused:?

Its up to him if he wants us to remember them or not.
Yeah, it is up to me and mostly, you guys really. Well you remember what you and/or I will or want to remember. :thumbs_up:

Also, the funniest thing is ... I forgot about this contest. Really. I did. Infact, I forgot the date it was supposed to be due :cry:. Luckily, Wolverabid extended abit WOO :thumbs_up:.

Thank you. :cute:

Level 11
FG_raptor, you are not stealing my idea if you haven't seen it.

And Ember_Naga, the names are not really long-long, but i think that they are longer than I can remember. Would be easier with, like, "Ligta" and "Nagiga". Long-long names are like, Gahabetherytharellathahythahouny.

Status
Not open for further replies.