1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Starcraft 2 MAJOR Editor Update

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Jul 15, 2020.

1. kantarion

kantarion

Resources:
    Resources:
    -The wall, gate, plants, green tree? Its 2015 assets (tree is even classic wc3 i think)

-Human Altar and Orc Altar is Reforged + unit blade master from Reforged

-Outland mushroom trees are not from reforged. They are newly added 2020,they didnt exist in 2015 assets...
    By knowing this,you can start questioning,create theorys..predictions...

You got healthy logic by far as i know xD, give it a try..what will happen... 1.whole reforged port 2.just testings 3. sc2 mod updated with random assets aka mixture of handpaint 2015,realistic reforged + hots jaina,rexxar etc rofl.... (cause this is exactly whats inside casc storage right now)

2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmm, have you compared the textures and models with the Reforged ones or if any in HotStorm?
    Really!? What file format do HotStorm models and textures have? .m3 and .dds like those in SCII or .mdx and .dds like in Reforged?

You're right about Rexxar
    [​IMG] rexxar.png

Although Jaina seems not to have any animations:
    [​IMG] jaina.png

So, these, might indeed be tests. Hopefully more since it'd be a pain for fans to have to port the stuff when probably Blizz can do it faster and better.

Also Arthas with Frostmourne:
    [​IMG] arthasfrostmourne.png

OK, the Outland mushroom trees are not Reforged ones, but HD versions of the classic/standard ones. 20 versions, nifty:
    outland01.png outland02.png outland03.png outland04.png outland05.png outland06.png outland07.png outland08.png outland09.png outland10.png outland11.png outland12.png outland13.png outland14.png outland15.png outland16.png outland17.png outland18.png outland19.png outland20.png

HD summer Lordaeron trees (10 variations):
    tree01.png tree02.png tree03.png tree04.png tree05.png tree06.png tree07.png tree08.png tree09.png tree10.png

HD Lordaeron rock chunks (12 variations):
    lordchuks01.png lordchuks02.png lordchuks03.png lordchuks04.png lordchuks05.png lordchuks06.png lordchuks07.png lordchuks08.png lordchuks09.png lordchuks10.png lordchuks11.png lordchuks12.png

HD Stone Wall:
    stonewall01.png stonewall02.png stonewall03.png stonewall04.png stonewall05.png

Some HD Outland doodads called Dirt Mix but they seem to have no textures. Wow, loads of plants. They really wanted to get creative with this:
    outlandMix01.png outlandMix02.png outlandMix03.png outlandMix04.png outlandMix05.png outlandMix06.png outlandMix07.png outlandMix08.png outlandMix09.png outlandMix10.png outlandMix11.png outlandMix12.png outlandMix13.png outlandMix14.png outlandMix15.png outlandMix16.png outlandMix17.png outlandMix18.png outlandMix19.png outlandMix20.png outlandMix21.png outlandMix22.png outlandMix23.png outlandMix24.png outlandMix25.png outlandMix26.png outlandMix27.png

HD Outland Rock Mix; sadly no textures:
    outlandRockMix01.png outlandRockMix02.png outlandRockMix03.png outlandRockMix04.png outlandRockMix05.png outlandRockMix06.png

HD Outland Ruins Shrooms, although the HD is their texture as they don't have that many polygons:
    outlandRuinsShrooms01.png outlandRuinsShrooms02.png outlandRuinsShrooms03.png outlandRuinsShrooms04.png outlandRuinsShrooms05.png

Look at this HD flower palette (14 variations); could use more colours though:
    ruinsFlowers01.png ruinsFlowers02.png ruinsFlowers03.png ruinsFlowers04.png ruinsFlowers05.png ruinsFlowers06.png ruinsFlowers07.png ruinsFlowers08.png ruinsFlowers09.png ruinsFlowers10.png ruinsFlowers11.png ruinsFlowers12.png ruinsFlowers13.png ruinsFlowers14.png

HD Shrubs; absolutely lovely! (11 types):
    shrub01.png shrub02.png shrub03.png shrub04.png shrub05.png shrub06.png shrub07.png shrub08.png shrub09.png shrub10.png shrub11.png

There are two pit lord HD models, one named HeroPitlord and the other Pitlord. They are the same. There's also an HD version for Mannoroth.
    At least the dreadlord has a tail :D

The gate, torch are also HD but they have no variations.
    Man they were doing such a great and detailed job.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  3. Ababmer

Ababmer

Resources:
    Resources:
    I return to you now, at the turn of the tide.

These updates are significant, the engine upgrades seem like the work of a larger team. I would wager that blizzard is preparing it for another venture. Perhaps WC4.

4. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You are this guy?
    Best Terrain Artist in the World
    You can ask for your old account, you know.

5. Ababmer

Ababmer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Perhaps now you'll join the righteous path of the SC2 editor, though what curse did to SC2mapster is a crying shame.

6. loktar

loktar

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    is it just me or do these look waaay better than the reforged ones (at least for an warcraft RTS game)

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Not just you my friend.

8. kellym0

kellym0

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  9. ShadowArm

ShadowArm

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think the fear of seeing C&C remastered and multiplayer modding becoming a success along with AoE2DE put Blizzard on panic mode and they decided to revitalize the SC2 engine with the War 3 assets, and finally Ditching refunded.

but then both games permit client based mods that doesn't intervene with MP, like AoE2DE having custom Civ Building mods like Norman architecture for franks based on Joan's period.
    While SC2, WoW and Refunded doesn't permit it even with AllowLocalFiles 1

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I doubt it right now until they make proper info for the actor/effect/behaviour/whatnot types and their fields. I can make abilities to the point of actors, after that it's just like tapping into elevated mathematics.
    We'll see. If they don't weld the games, I don't think Reforged or at least Warcraft III is going to be dropped, mostly due to the pro scene.

11. Ababmer

Ababmer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Presumably this 'Campaign' function is only accessible via online lobbies. Is there a way in the PTR to play custom campaigns outside of a multiplayer lobby?

12. ShadowArm

ShadowArm

Resources:
    Resources:
    if only they made modding client sided too and pushed a workshop for it like AoE2 and C&C.

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, at least with StarCraft II you get those things called dependencies which work something like .mpq files. So you could create a sort of mod or more that your map(s) would need to function.
    Maybe if the campaign authors made some features for it via the editor.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    All of the below are related to the Data Easy Mode:
    • -the portrait is not automatically chosen with the model like in the World Editor; to access/set it, you need to deactivate Easy Mode
    • -also lots of the Object Editor fields are missing like the unit description; funny thing is abilities have this field but not per level
    • -no way to set regeneration for shields and stuff
    • -the Weapon category exists in Data Collection but there's nothing there
    • -some abilities, like Bash, don't have any damage/chance/whatnot values to set/edit in Easy Mode; Storm Bolt doesn't have a per level damage but a general one(?) which is 0 by default
    • -so, basically, you can't do much to customize abilities. No actual reason to make duplicates unless you don't use Easy Mode
    • -practically, using Easy Mode leaves you with the burden of triggering the spells further with the Trigger Editor, something we already did in the World Editor but with much more ease since the spells and Object Editor had more fields to play with
    • -Critical Strike seems to have most (important) fields like chance and damage multiplier per level
    • -of course actor and events are not also duplicated, thus the unit will not play any animation and no buff/FX will appear when summoning a unit for example
    • -not sure if you can change the icons of the previous abilities to be learned after you change them to a duplicate unit; basically you learn the ones you edited but in the learn ability menu the descriptions and icons are of those before/the original's
    • -nothing in the artifact category
    • -doodad and destructible data objects have no fields; items and researches as well

How to access what is called Game Constants in the World Editor?

It's a good start but there's still work to be done.

StarCraft II Data needs a World Editor type mode as well. For instance, copying units and abilities like a Carrier and EMP should work the same as with the World Editor. As mentioned above in the Warcraft III list, actors, events, effects, behaviours, special FX/models and whatnot should automatically be copied (duplicated as you call it in the Galaxy Editor) as in the World Editor.

Things should work simpler like being able to create a Diablo nova from Roar or a Diablo fireball from a Storm Bolt. There should be fields that automatically create their actors and events behind the scenes like how most such fields in the World Editor work.

Now, what the Hard Mode, if you will, (well, normal/original mode or whatever) needs is better descriptions for all fields and actor types with examples if possible. Some fields have no description or have one liners. This would also benefit the higher IQ people that use this mode.
    galaxe01.png galaxe02.png galaxe03.png

So, as of now, things aren't simple enough to make me leave the World Editor for the Galaxy Editor.

15. Karazhan

Karazhan

Resources:
    Resources:
    You have some misunderstanding about the new duplicate system: the actor and behavior are already automatically copied, if you did it in the Data Collection tab or in the easy mode. It's wrote in the patch notes. If you duplicate them in other tabs, you surely don't have them, as they are using old copy behavior. I have seem no unit lost actor after I copied them in easy mode.

The beauty of Easy Mode is you can actually DEFINE the fields in the easy mode. As you've already learned how to set portrait in the "hard mode", you can just go to the "Data Collection Pattern" tab to config them to be exposed in Easy Mode. There are already a bunch of existing fields set in that tab, it's not hard to follow them.

Same as all the ability fields you mentioned - all of them can be customized in hard mode, and thus can be exposed to easy mode one by one. The official data may lack some important fields, but you don't have to wait for them to add more - One of the biggest feature of the galaxy editor is it allows public game/data mods. People can create their own "Easy Mode View" and share them with others, so every one benefit from it. This patch essentially allow you to customize the data editor in your own mods.

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  17. TheBronze

TheBronze

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    10 years later... too bad there have been so many debacles between SC2 and Refunded that divide the community.

I remember creating a comparison of how it was to copy a Grunt versus a Marine between the two editors.

Doing anything in the SC2 isn't just harder, it takes way longer, which is why a large part of the community never touched it.

18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Either I got used to the way Warcraft III looks in StarCraft II or the lights and generally Echo Isles was converted better than Bandit Ridge. Using the 5.0 PTR by the way:
    echoisles01.png echoisles02.png echoisles03.png echoisles04.png
    echoisles05.png
    To me it looks really sweet.

Well like before, Warcraft III unit portraits need better lightening and stuff.

So I was pointing out in my previous feedback post that info boxes are needed for many Data fields. Looks like the Trigger Editor's info boxes are more than decent.
    For instance, now I understood what magazines are.

Not sure what banks are. Is that some sort of Warcraft III Game Cache or some Hashtable stuff?
    Or Catalogs.
    I guess Data Tables are Hashtables?

The Item trigger section seems to be missing stuff Warcraft III has, like add/remove items, hide/show items etc.

Not sure if this can be fixed ingame (Data) or it requires the editing of the models but the FX on SC models is huge if they are scaled:
    SCFx.png
    Also, for some reason can't select that model edited hero by drag select. Also the selection circle won't shrink by changing its size (selection radius).

Ah and I think water should be by default pathable for ships.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  19. Karazhan

Karazhan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Items are special units in SC2. You can just use remove/create unit show/hide unit to do that.

20. LazZ

LazZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Banks are XML files that can be safely stored locally on and read from a player's machine.
    I think catalogs are data values for all game objects, but don't quote me on that.