• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Special-Texturing Contest - The Fantastic Adventurer UI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Yes, I agree that we need to finish this contest now. And since we only have 3 final entries yet, everyone gets a price here.

Here is my judgement on the final entries (awaiting Mr. Vacants voting on this so we can apply the final ranking):

Naze:
Execution 5/7 - design is clean and uncluttered; all elements are crisp and well-made. The tiles with the purple ornaments feel like colored glass in old church windows, which is a nice touch.
Uniqueness 1/3 - the design is very simplistic. I like the idea with the cloth bag as inventory, but I feel there could be a little bit of extra decoration to make it more interesting. The colored glass was a fantastic idea; I just wished you would have explored that idea more (like using stone statues or symbols instead of wooden frames to reinforce the feeling of baroque architecture).
Completion 2/5 - the custom mouse cursor adds a lot to this. Simple but effective.
Total: 8/15

Kwaliti:
Execution 7/7 - flawless execution with lots of details, matching the hand-drawn look of blizzard UI almost perfectly. There are some minor perspective issues (like the dagger on the right looking a bit distorted and the vanishing point of the box elements not matching entirely), but thats pure nitpicking and doesn't justify a point loss.
Uniqueness 2/3 - Lots of decoration elements and interesting stuff to discover here. Getting some really great diablo-vibes here. I subtracted a point because there are no real "surprises" imho. It's what everyone can agree on in terms of adventuring gear. Would have been cool to see some unusual things like a Sextant or alchemy pistons and tools like a pickaxe, etc.
Completion 3/5 - custom cursor and AoE markers are a nice touch. For more points, custom icons for static UI elements in the style of Diablo games could be awesome.
Total: 12/15

Wildfire:
Execution 3/7 - the color scheme and overall design works, but it's lacking in terms of "physicality". Especially the shading leaves room for improvement here. Also, there are some rough edges that could have been smoothed out to make it look better with compression applied. There is also some visual clutter and the elements don't really feel like they are part of the same set, though (for example, the golden command card sticks out from the wooden frames like it doesn't really belong there).
Uniqueness 2/3 - From the basic design, I feel its the most unique from the entries here. You went away from the basic wood or stone tiles and went for a bronze/metal-ish look using more colors as a baseline. I also dig the idea with runes and elements for the time indicator and inventory cover (inventory cover parchment gives me The Last Airbender vibes). For a maximum point value, I would like to see more decoration, though. I mean your theme was "elements". There was so much stuff you could add here, like flames, ice, water, rocks, earth... why not do that?
Completion 2/5 - The AoE-marker is great. A custom cursor would have been nice, though.
Total: 7/15

Last edited:
If you guys were curious at all at my final progress
it's pretty pathetic,

I couldn't invest as much time as I wanted to to this contest, and I normally don't deal with UI, so I overestimated my timing on this one
The idea was to create an adventure inside the UI itself, but alas, a simpler idea would have been a smarter idea..

Attachments

• Wip7.png
    Wip7.png
    292.8 KB · Views: 231
it's pretty pathetic,

I couldn't invest as much time as I wanted to to this contest, and I normally don't deal with UI, so I overestimated my timing on this one
The idea was to create an adventure inside the UI itself, but alas, a simpler idea would have been a smarter idea..
I have a question. How can I convert the UI to transparent as you did?

Level 28
Some progress still don't know if I could finish this XD

Looks very empty atm
1-png.280526

Oh, they were seriously quality entries, it's a pity the weren't finished. Nightmare for example, had already been through the bulk of it - it's like he swam across the ocean but died at the beach. Modders and our texture section will be pretty happy if you guys manage to finish them in future.

The colored glass was a fantastic idea; I just wished you would have explored that idea more (like using stone statues or symbols instead of wooden frames to reinforce the feeling of baroque architecture).
Thanks for your criticism! And hey, this is a nice idea! I like the statues/symbols thing, I just didn't think of that when I was at it. I was actually avoiding most decorations as they could possibly make my entry less generic, and thus less useful. Originally there was going to be a sheathed sword and a potion somewhere, but I scrapped that idea in the end.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Level 1
As Mr. Vacant doesn't respond, I'm going to end this contest at this point and have the final judgement according to my review here:
Special-Texturing Contest - The Fantastic Adventurer UI
@Kwaliti you can contact me any time via PN to send me your Paypal mail adress so I can gift the price money to you.
Hi, I can not poloshovatsya this forum I have a question for you if it's not difficult then please answer the question is connected with the Gaias Card Retalation please tell me how to transfer the walt from version 1.2C (18) to version 1.2D (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.