• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solo Mini-Mapping Contest #7 - Reeeewind

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

160036-albums4747-picture59708.png

160036-albums4747-picture63223.png

160036-albums4747-picture62940.png

Boss Fight

Contestants must create a map with a tough boss that must be killed in 'phase-by-phase' style one by another.

160036-albums4747-picture59725.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that its yours.[*]Your submission may be an extended version of your previously submitted work, but you are also allowed to give it a go with a submission completely made from scratch. If you go with the first option, you must extend your submission by a distinct level, in order to be conceived legit in terms of the repeated contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
  • All multiplayer maps must be under 8mb.
  • Only contestants that have joined the original Solo Mini-Mapping Contest #7 can participate in this contest. Be warned that your entry must have been judged normally, in order for you to be an acceptable participant. For more info, please visit the Memoirs of an Old Era.

160036-albums4747-picture59735.png

• First Place: 45 65 98! reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 35 55 83! reputation points
  • Third Place: 25 45 68! reputation points

Note: The default prize is replaced with the prize offered by the Memoirs of An Old Era event; the event's prize is replaced with the Starlight Legacy Event.

160036-albums4747-picture59736.png

Checking Field
ExplanationPoints

Concept:
How worthy of repetition the submission was. How well was the map manipulated; how much different is it from the previous version? If made from scratch: Map must be original, a simple copy of another map might get less points for the gameplay and originality, but if the terrain and everything are fine, then you would still have some points. We want to see unique things and cool ideas.You can score up to 15 points here.

Map Presentation/Design:
Author name, map name, category, type, description, links ingame on loading screen, messages ingame are very important.
How good the map preview or the loading screen image are, check tooltips, quest menu, icons all around (hero/unit stats, interface, tooltips etc).
Same colored icons and spell effects as well as models (like green for poison hero) are better than random ones.
Passive icons on active ones or vice versa are bad.
Check UI and game constants as well.
You can score up to 10 points here.

Terrain:
Please take care, some maps use a generated terrain (created with triggers), thus the preview image may show an empty map.
Negative things are empty, plain, single-tile terrains, without environmental doodads or any kind of terrain style.
Good things are special effect doodads (to make the terrain a little animated), lighting, fog, terrain styles or custom resources.
You can score up to 25 points here.

Triggers/Efficiency/Performance:
Bugs, errors and performance issues will reduce your score. (Everything created with triggers is usually the case) However if there are just small bugs/errors, then you probably won't get a lower score.
Memory leaks are the main problem, systems and spells should be more or less lag-free/errorless.
Even protected maps can show how good the user's triggering skills are, for example check if there are any performance issues when units are spawned.

Object Data:
Units' size ingame, selection size, how good creeps look like. (small skeleton with sword, normal with bow and another one with axe is better than ogre, gnoll and murloc -> Creeps should not be completely random and very different from each other).
In other words check how good abilities and stats fit to units.
Maps with a huge file size are horrible, no one will wait 2 minutes long to download a map on battle.net. (unless single player)
That's why we need to check imported resources.
MP3 files can be edited, the quality can be reduced and thus a lot of space can be saved, simple effect sounds without voice can be reduced even to 32 kbps in some cases, for voices don't go below 50.
Maps with a file size of 8MB and only 1 sound effect/music file are not acceptable. Also check if only a part of a song is used and if it has been cropped.
Same thing goes for textures, if you can reduce the quality from 100-75% and thus the size will go down from 40-70% in some cases.

Gameplay:
The gameplay is the main aspect of the map. Game modes, game difficulties, special events, systems(not how well they are made, but if they make the map more fun) etc.
Everything else that is left unchecked can go here. Please check how balanced the gameplay is, check how long the game lasts, if the map can be finished without any major problems.
You can score up to 30 points here.

• 65 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 35 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

160036-albums4747-picture59727.png

The contest shall begin on 29th of November and conclude on 20th of December 3rd of January, 11:59 PM [UTC].

Last edited:
so joining this :3 I already have a idea, so I'm going to state it right away:
Magmatic guy who uses weapons that he takes from his enemies. He transforms those weapons into cool fiery ones :D Improved movement, which now includes jumoing and slow walking. Different weapons and combos. More rooms, terrain and a way better boss. Soon, there will be screenshots and wip maps :)

Can I join contest. I was working on it but I was unable to upload final entry because on shity internet. I have few wips in it, and because of them I got kicked from last mini mapping contest. So can I join.

Sorry, only entrants whose work was judged are able to participate.
This contest happened before the Mini-Mapping Contests were moved to the Map Development forum, so that entry of yours doesn't count. :/

Level 14
I can't decide what to focus on...

1. A new take on the old theme - Star Wars themed boss fight map with every bit of custom sounds voices and etc.

OR

2. Some horrorish silent-hill-like dark boss fight...

I'v got great ideas for both, disected both sw:tor and silent hill+alan wake for their juicy sounds... just can't decide.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

now now, don't be so negative. Some awesome custom maps might be created here :)

Here is my main character model. Not sure if I can use it because:
-I forged it out of two WoW rips (Bolvar Fordragon and Rogue Base Model), and added some proportion changes
-I made it before this contest

But then again, it's a great model, so can I please use it?
Btw, can I use other models I made/edited before the official start of the contest?

And please, don't use this model.

Attachments

• Character.mdx
    2.5 MB · Views: 71
  • LavaMan.blp
    182.6 KB · Views: 75
  • LavaManGlow.blp
    9.2 KB · Views: 57
So, first WIP from me...

Arrow Keys - Movement
F4 - Jump
ESC - Unequip
F1/F2/F3 (when unequipped) - Select Weapon
F1/F2/F3 (with weapon) - Attack

Firestorm Blades:
F1 - Combo
F2 - Chain Combo
F3 - Bladestorm

Pyromaul:

F1 - Combo
F2 - Slam Combo
F3 - Slam

Magmatic Wargear:

F1 - Combo
F2 - Throw
F3 - Defend On/Off

*Ashfire Shooter
F1 - Shoot
F2 - Powershot
F3 - Aim

(I didn't even start making the Ashfire Shooter :/ btw, it's a bow)

That's it for now. Please test it and post some feedback.

Please, do not use or redistribute any resource that is contained inside this map.

One more thing... I can't seem to jump when moving in a 45 degree angle... Please, can someone look into it and come up with a solution?

Attachments

• MMR.w3x
    2.4 MB · Views: 66
Level 14
Done already? Good one. I'v just finally got an idea I think I can pull off. Here is a terrain screenie, the main mechanic of the boss will be utilizing dark areas and utter blackness which you ofcorse have to fight with light from any sourse.

attachment.php

EDIT: I'v tested your entry and I must say your rogue hero has a problem with Q and W, it seems they are made by the same base spell ? When Q is not on cooldown when I click W on a target nothing happens. Sometimes it does...

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_120412_185253_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_120412_185253_01.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Hey guys I've made a decision..
Even though I started another map from scratch, my head is in to much of a jumble to finish it off in the next 15 days so I am just going to try and do some well done updates to my last submission. Conquering Vendula.
What kind of wips would I need to provide as I have already done the terrain and am not going to change it much, although the game play will be modified alot. So I guess that I am still going to have to provide a wip but instead in an actual map format? Unless of gameplay screenshots.

Level 19
I like solo mapping contests.
Very sad I can't participate in this one just because people that did have the time for it back them want to do it again. It's a bit unfair but oh well...

Question: When is there an other solo mini mapping contest coming then? Since I can't join this one I'd like to know when there's an other one upcomming.

Level 37
I like solo mapping contests.
Very sad I can't participate in this one just because people that did have the time for it back them want to do it again. It's a bit unfair but oh well...

Question: When is there an other solo mini mapping contest coming then? Since I can't join this one I'd like to know when there's an other one upcomming.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...i-mapping-contest-9-cinematic-farming-225908/

And here we go. Just vote what you would like to do. I think that contest will start in a week or two.

Level 19
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...i-mapping-contest-9-cinematic-farming-225908/

And here we go. Just vote what you would like to do. I think that contest will start in a week or two.

Why is it called a mini-mapping contest when it's actually a cinematic contest? Or am I missing a point? Doesn't look like there's much of a choice if I want it to be a mini-mapping contest isn't it?:p
Not trying to be rude or anything, but aren't it really two different things?

Status
Not open for further replies.