• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Memoirs of an Old Era[Event]

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture62631.png

Memoirs of an Old Era
[tr][TD]

Description: You have probably been a contestant before. You are probably feeling nostalgia, when you are browsing the Contest Archive. The day to relive your past has come!

How does it work?: You will post in this thread one of the contests that you have participated in, in the past, stating that you would like to re-work on your entry. If additional participants of that contest would like to compete once again within that contest, the contest will be reproduced. You are supposed to modify and improve your old entry or create a new one from scratch, under the theme of the repeated contest. At lease 3 users are required for the contest to be repeated.

Example: I would like to get the Modelling Contest #2 repeated.

What are the awards?:
  • +20 Reputation from the prizes mentioned in the old contest (keep the additional bonus of the Starlight Legacy event in mind). The received prize depends on the position that you will score in the new results.
  • Second Winner golden icon under your profile.
  • With the new batch of the Arena modifications, every contestant will receive 5 reputation (except for the winning entries).

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Sadly no, but I'd love to participate, that is, if it's allowed :)

Level 25
Level 6
Paired Mapping Contest #1 was the first and only where I (or in that case, we :D) participated in. It would be nice to hear again from the other contestants and whether they are still working/planning to maybe to start working on their projects (as I started again recently). From what I see after searching the map section, nobody is :( - but maybe a repetition of the contest in the sense of "x weeks for an updated/reworked version of the same basic idea" could rekindle interest.

What if, the winner already wins the contest, and he wants to apply this event, and if he wins, he'll win twice.
Is that acceptable ?

What happens to Legendary Match 2012 Event ?

Yes, that is acceptable.

The off-topic question of yours: Due to the fact that many contestants are no longer active and that the event wasn't well received -given that it was fired in a bad phase for the Hiveworkshop's community-, it will be reorganized into a new, fresh one, with different theme and functioning. The contestants will receive 12 reputation each for their work.

Level 14
I'm gonna redo my Solo Mini-Mapping Contest #7 contest. Meaning I'll create a new boss battle.

Any other want to do an entry from that competition? Or any other that includes at least somehow making a new boss battle? I wanna create boss fights!

You ALWAYS wanna create a boss fight...But I am feeling it too. Count me in...given it does not start untill December.

Level 19
I don't want to mess up rules or start making trouble or something. But is there a chance this could be more friendly towards new hivers or people that didn't join contests that often?

With that I mean that I've seen contests going on which I would've LOVED to enter if I only had the time for it during those periods. So I didn't really 'enter' a contest while I've watched them very closely.
The people that had the time back then, get rewarded now because they can have 'the fun all over again'. While those that didn't participate in the first contest because of a lack of time feel the grudge again because now that they have the time they can't join the fun because they basically missed 'the required participation' from the first contest.

I really like the effort you're putting in the site Pharaoh_ and I think this is a great idea of you to revive some contests so don't get me wrong, what we got right now is already better then doing nothing. But I'm just trying to express my feelings because it makes me kind of sad to see a big ass contest while I'm not allowed to join. It makes me feel as if I'm not welcome because I haven't been one of those 'core contest contestants'.

I don't even care about the rewards so maybe you can make a rule that people that didn't enter the first contest can't get the reward. So only getting judged and, maybe even, winning should be fair... Well I don't know... Just think about my point of view.

I think that Pharaoh only did it this way because if contestants didn't join the original contest they wouldn't have the chance to work on there original map from that last contest, leaving them with being forced to build a map from scratch to have to compete with others that have this advantage.
Would off been nice to let the others join even though they didn't have an entry last time either way.

Guys, we've been through this already. It's an event, it's not an actual contest. If you want an actual contest, go to Contest Submission and post your ideas for the next one (be it modelling, be it techtree, be it texturing, be it terraining, be it anything). Don't react as if you got banned from the Arena.

The point is to give contestants from older contests a chance to varnish their entries and possibly enhance them with new knowledge over the editor. However, in order to avoid heavy limitations, they were also allowed to make a completely new entry under that theme. With that being said, I see no reason why do you complain over this. If you have participated in a contest in the past, find its contestants and let's get it rewinded. As for the new users, the contests from the arena didn't stop, neither the Mini-Contests which are being continuously hosted.

I don't want to mess up rules or start making trouble or something. But is there a chance this could be more friendly towards new hivers or people that didn't join contests that often?
I don't see how this is "unfriendly" towards "new hivers". This is a special event, therefor special criteria apply.
New users can easily enter active and actual contests or submit ideas for new ones in the Arena.

Kitabatake said:
What was the point in forbidding new contestants from joining these contests?
I really cannot see any reason for this.
I don't see why this event /should/ allow new contestants. Do you want to enter this, despite not having been a candidate in any of these previous contests that can potentially be rewinded? Note that this is not meant to offend you, I merely wonder why this has come up in the first place. :V

Not sure what kind of conspiracy theory you wanted me to admit, but while I had seen a few members saying "ah, what a nice theme it was", I decided to repeat contests from the past.

However, you still sound annoyed (or may I say, ironic)

Apologies for the tone. No need to overinterpret.
I wasn't looking for conspiracies, I simply wanted to know if there was an actual logical reason behind the contrived rule of forbidding entries (as the common problem with contests often seems to be a lack of entries).

what is it that you still want it resolved?
As I said, I already got my answer.
There is nothing more to resolve.

Edit:
I don't see why this event /should/ allow new contestants. Do you want to enter this, despite not having been a candidate in any of these previous contests that can potentially be rewinded?
Oh god, what's with the conclusion-jumping today?
No, I'm not looking to join the contests.

I was simply baffled at seeing contestants being turned down and decided to ask the reason behind the rule.
No need to overinterpret, no need to get all sentimental about it.
It was just a question and it was already answered. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.