• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solo Mini-Mapping Contest #7 - Reeeewind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
do we have contest only for the new member of the community so that they will be motivated make more maps and give them more experience in map making,,,EXCLUDING the pro....heheh..like a difficulty noobies,intermidiate, and pro...ofcourse the point for noobies are more lower that pro,,,can we make that...heheheh just an idea anyway,,,,and a suggestion,,any one,reply and comment on my post,,,,,,:goblin_good_job:

Level 18
I'm somewhat wondering about your disappointment. How many contests were you personally excluded from and why?
Four pages of 'I can't join this' should tell you that it's not my personal problem.
I had no intention of joining, I'm just wondering why it's a great idea to not allow those who would like to work on something this time to join. It eliminates competition and honestly feels like a 'Let's revisit the fun we had' in the dying days of Warcraft III. (Although I'm personally not convinced we're there just yet.)
Problem with that is, it further alienates the new users. That won't make them want to stay long.

Level 14
attachment.php

Terrain is done, 50% of the bossfight is done too.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_120712_181206_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_120712_181206_02.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 232
Four pages of 'I can't join this' should tell you that it's not my personal problem.
I had no intention of joining, I'm just wondering why it's a great idea to not allow those who would like to work on something this time to join. It eliminates competition and honestly feels like a 'Let's revisit the fun we had' in the dying days of Warcraft III. (Although I'm personally not convinced we're there just yet.)
Problem with that is, it further alienates the new users. That won't make them want to stay long.

This is an event contest. I can understand your discomfort, but it is run under certain circumstances. Therefore, only a specific group of people can enter. Additionally, if one has entered another contest that would like to get it repeated, they can still suggest it in the Memoirs of an Old Era thread.

I don't find this unfair, at all, given that many contests are organized nowadays and everyone is welcome and allowed to submit their own ideas for a contest in the Contest Submission forum.

More things will come.. ;)

Level 19

I totally agree.
It makes me feel as if you have to be one of those core contest joiners to be able to have more fun now. I'd be dying to finally join a contest now that the winter's break is comming. However now that there is a great theme again I can't join because I'm not 'one of the big guys'. Because well... The farming theme and cinematic theme are not really theme's that are as cool as all previous mapping theme's were. That's how it makes me feel. And a voice in my head is basically saying, just leave thw alone.. it's not worth it to fight for. But well, I just wanted to give my opinion. You most likely won't see me joining a contest any time soon, not because I wouldn't want to join, but because I never joined one before.
And just to say, I'm pretty good at mapmaking but i just never had the time before. So by this rule you're kinda killing half of the creative input thw could get from people.

But Pharaoh_ you didn't come with a good reason why this happens yet. You keep repeating the rule, but never really say why you, and so far it looks like only you, wants to have that rule. Could you enlighten it a bit?

I don't get it, Teuncreemers, we had two contests under the same theme, one was the main contest in the Arena (Boss Fight) and then another one was the Mini-Mapping contest "Drums in the Dungeon", which was basically the same. Where were you by that time?
If you missed two contests, it's definitely not my fault.

I also don't get your statement as to why I am "killing" thw's creative input. You have never entered a contest before, as you admit, you are constantly given a chance to (within the Arena and Map Development forum) and you still don't want to grab that chance. What does this have to do with me in particular?

Level 19
I don't get it, Teuncreemers, we had two contests under the same theme, one was the main contest in the Arena (Boss Fight) and then another one was the Mini-Mapping contest "Drums in the Dungeon", which was basically the same. Where were you by that time?
If you missed two contests, it's definitely not my fault.

I also don't get your statement as to why I am "killing" thw's creative input. You have never entered a contest before, as you admit, you are constantly given a chance to (within the Arena and Map Development forum) and you still don't want to grab that chance. What does this have to do with me in particular?

I am one of those people that have a very busy job. If I had time to join a contest I would've joined, but I always have to rely on a holiday break.
Still I did join a Music contest once, and even got the 2nd place if I remember right... But yeah that's not where this is about.
And I'm not trying to bitch on you or anything, since this is still a great opportunity for those that did join other contests. It's just that I have the time to join a contest this December, I see some in the contest section and the only theme I like and have a really cool idea for is forbidden for me to join.

So here I'm wondering why it is forbidden for people to join those contests because I can't think of a reason myself. I highly doubt people that join the contest now will think it's unfair if others that didn't join before are able to join now. So why did you implement this rule? I don't see the point.

Well, I am sorry to hear that, but given your own conditions of free-time, you should accept that I am not the one responsible for you being unable to join. The Arena hosts multiple contests, you can either join or not. I can't adapt every contest to everyone's free time, it's simply impossible.

This rule was implemented simply because this is the event's substance/nature/theme. There are multiple events, such as Starlight Legacy, such as the 2012 event (that didn't go well, admittedly).

So, to keep things straight, you can suggest an alternative theme for farming. I will give no further explanation behind the way the event was built.

I am asking because I have a great idea and all necessary resources and skills to make the map, but I'm not sure if there will be enough time. It's going good for now, but the half of the school year is coming, so teachers are really trying to kick the shit out of us, plus exercising and gf... Maybe it'll be too much RL for me to finish in time.

Level 37
Then it's time to make your entry idea a little smaller. It doesn't need to be that epic.

I created my idea within a week and that was just fine. I had the motivation from the beginning to the end. I'm satisfied what I created within that small amount of time. Plan and create something what you're capable of with your time and motivation. Once again, it doesn't need to be that epic. The competition is about having fun with the community, not just to win always something(or so I think).

Level 14
So...erm. I hate to double post (and I probably should just edit my comment anyway) but won't anyone else show their WIP's? This contest looks so dead.

Also what about the extention, do we get it or not?

I wrote a little background story to support my entry's exterior.

The kingdom of my ancestors was once covering halph the known regions of Astaloth. His armies were endless, yet they were not needed. The ground was rich and the people were wealthy. Now I could not even imagine such place.

After the First Demon Invasion 120 years ago mankind barely survived. Now what was once a paradise was now a wasteland of ruins and tormented souls. I’v never seen a wild bird or felt the excitement of the wolf hunting, as my fellow comrades kept telling stories about… And probably I never will. The world as my father knew it , was gone.

Then He came.

Darkness itself was at our doorsteps. Tormented by the though of being the last ruler of men, my father offered a pact to be made. A pact between the demons and the living. A pact to ensure that the last kingdom of Astaloth WILL survive the end.

I still remember that day. We named it The Call. Once every moon cycle a maiden of the demon’s choice must be sent to the wastelands, to the ruins of our former capital – Zelian. What happens there no one knows, but over hundred moon cycles have passed until the Call I will never forget.
The demon chose a royalty. The king’s daughter… my dear sister. She knew that her sacrifice will keep the pact with Darkness sealed. My father almost died that night… when he heard his beloved daughter is chosen, he swore to get her back…

So just after a few hours later we began our plot. Ater a few days an elite force led by my father was to establish a camp at the capitol ruins and conduct a search of what happens to all the girls, including my sister. But patience was something I don’t have in me.

I disobeyed my father and went to the dreaded place two days earlier. So here I am… walking the halls of the old castle with two of my best warriors by my side. Strangely the whole city looked deserted. And I thought hell spawns will greet us at the entry and burn us alive.

We approached the Great Library Hall. This was the place where all demons came through. Did they went back the same way? I was destined to find out, one way or another.

Last edited:
Level 30
Wips, wips, wips guys!

I already created my entry but so far I haven't received any feedback so I can't update the map. :[

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/angel-fate-226559/?prev=status%3Da%26u%3DAeroblyctos

Angel of Fate in my opinion is the best boss Battle you have made. Why? The Angel has only low Damage and Armor but can use many skills to deceive enemies like his clones. He can also send light waves that greatly damages units. This game for me requires fast reaction! Nice job on this map.... To be honest, I didn't yet finished this map due to its quite challenging! +REP, Nice job!:thumbs_up:

Level 30
Hmm. Okay, nice. So no bugs and nothing to complain? I guess then I did the job good enough.

But I wonder with what difficulty you played because you couldn't beat the boss? I tested the boss myself with Hard difficulty and I was able to defeat the boss.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. +rep

Well, you know I was new to the game so even in Easy I cant even defeat it and Im not that concentrated and looks like I picked the wrong item build for the 3 heroes....lol:xxd:

Hey guys, here is one more wip from me. Added and fixed a LOT of stuff, is very playable now. Only things missing are the mini-boss fight and the actual boss-fight. In the next update, I will hopefully have both of the battles done, and will import UI, maybe font and definitely a loading screen.
Btw, I know it's big, but that's because most of the models are HD. It's worth it, trust me.

Anyway, please test it and post some feedback. Constructive criticism is the best option.

Attachments

• Firelord's Realm.w3x
    10.7 MB · Views: 87
@MaTiJa97
- Camera should fallow unit facing (not instantly, add small delay time).
- You should use jass systems to handle unit movement (it's like 10 times faster)
- Maybe dialog buttons or something else to handle hero weapon pick
- Display enemy unit hit point in multiboard as well
- Add more environment and lightning doodads, terrain is in 3D so make it HD ^_^

I will try to simulate another game so a lot of resources will be more or less images and sounds from other games. Size is already around 4 MB :)

I created 3 spells and 3 more left for our champion.
Enemy will have few same like spells, and few extra unique spells on it's own.

Terrain won't look great, lolz ironic eh...

Screenshot tonight ;)

@MaTiJa97
- Camera should fallow unit facing (not instantly, add small delay time).
- You should use jass systems to handle unit movement (it's like 10 times faster)
- Maybe dialog buttons or something else to handle hero weapon pick
- Display enemy unit hit point in multiboard as well
- Add more environment and lightning doodads, terrain is in 3D so make it HD ^_^

Thanks, bro :D
I can't change the camera, because I don't want to change the movement system (I'm using the 8-way system instead of the ordinary one).
Don't know any JASS xD
I want to completely rule out usage of mouse in this map, so no dialog :D Anyway, I think the weapon picking is easy enough. Press ESC and select weapon :D
Displaying enemies' hp :D
Added some more doodads, but need to concentrate on bossfght, so terrain might suffer on that account :/

Thanks for the review :D

About your map:
Idea is nice, but it obviously needs more work. Anyway, it looks like it could really be a nice game, so looking forward to it :D

Oh, yeah, one more question:
Is there any GUI (or JASS) condition for checking the pathing at a certain point (walkable/flyable/amphibious/etc.) ?

Level 20
@DeathChef
hmmm, your map was too easy to beat and it doesn't have a phase-to-phase battle >_<
but i guess it's because it's just a preview?

@MaTiJa97
wow awesome idea!! although it needs more work:

-hide the cursor, IMO no need to see it if you are not using it (use a pic with alpha layer as skin)
-you could perhaps add the "animation cancel" in your system, if you press F1 for normal attack you can move at any time but it cancels the damage/animation, the current system of "wait untill attack is done to move" is sort of bad and ruins the map IMO

this boss map has great potential, good luck on the updates!

@Kobas
awesome entry! but as you said those things need to be improved :p

Level 20
Thanks for all the reviews, bro :D

Btw, I'm done with all bug fixes, and started making the bossfight :D

And could you please give me the texture for the cursor? Cause I really suck at texturing :(
haha it doesn't really require texturing skills to make an alpha layer xD

Cursor Paths:
UI\Cursor\HumanCursor.blp
UI\Cursor\OrcCursor.blp
UI\Cursor\NightElfCursor.blp
UI\Cursor\UndeadCursor.blp

NOTE:
The Alpha.blp can't be opened in magos but it works fine in-game.

Attachments

• Alpha.blp
    68 bytes · Views: 46
Level 30
Hey guys, here is one more wip from me. Added and fixed a LOT of stuff, is very playable now. Only things missing are the mini-boss fight and the actual boss-fight. In the next update, I will hopefully have both of the battles done, and will import UI, maybe font and definitely a loading screen.
Btw, I know it's big, but that's because most of the models are HD. It's worth it, trust me.

Anyway, please test it and post some feedback. Constructive criticism is the best option.

This map has the potential but there is a problem... The controls with the Down key is too hard, when I press it, it takes long for the hero to move down,it takes me two press of Down key to make the hero move and in all the keys down key is just the problem. I know this is a simple problem but I must say that this might ruin the cool factor on it... Still, you deserve a REP!:eekani:

EDIT: This game gives me a God of War game feeling and I love it.

Last edited:
Wait what is the extension to I need to know. >.<
I might be adding my entry today. Although if I don't know by the time that I am off I might not be online for the next 4 days to update.
___
@DeathChef
hmmm, your map was too easy to beat and it doesn't have a phase-to-phase battle >_<
but i guess it's because it's just a preview?
Yeh just a preview. :)
It's going to be more complex and will have a more unique twist to the game-play.
This was just more of an update to convert the map entirely to efficient jass. Turned out worse than the original version that I submitted last boss contest.

Edit: Oh yes and i ended up spending about 8 of the days that I could off spent on actually working on what is going to be my entry on working on a lost cause map. Although the terrain looks nice I wanted to create a system for it that I found was to hard to create in Wc3. No means to whine. Just to say why the wip was so little.

Okay, I've been working a lot on my map lately. I fixed all the bugs that I found, improved many things... Major stuff:
-Improved combat system: While you are attacking, you will automatically face the nearest enemy
-Added a dialog at the beginning for setting the difficulty
-Imported an UI and a Loading Screen
-Finished the whole map, including the bossfight
-A LOT of bug fixes and minor improvements

I will post my final entry when I get back from school :D

P.S. : Good luck to all the participants.
P.P.S : Judges, please, don't take forever to judge :D

Firelord's Realm

''After annihilating the world of mortals, you turn on your master, seeking vengeance and redemption...''

Completely redesigned controls of combat, movement and camera. It was supposed to look like God of War or Prince of Persia, but I couldn't achieve that in so sort period of time.

You are a general of a long forgotten army. After failing to defeat another kingdom, your foes throw you to the dungeon. Being left alone to die by divine forces, you turn to the demon king, Firelord, for help. He grants you the power over fire. You use it to demolish the whole kingdom, but in your bloodrage you cannot stop. Battlethirst leads you onward, annihilating one kingdom after another. After there is nothing more to destroy, you understand what you have done. You turn on your master, the Firelord...

Custom movement system
Custom combat system
High definition character, creeps and boss
Attack combo system
Three different weapons
Completely changed controls
Constantly active camera
Fine terrain
Three difficulties
Multiboard system
and much more...

Arrow Keys - run
F4 - Jump
ESC - Weapon Selection mode
F1 - Select Firestorm Blades
F1 - Attack Combo
F2 - Chain Attack Combo
F3 - Bladestorm
F2 - Select Pyromaul
F1 - Attack Combo
F2 - Slam Attack Combo
F3 - Power Slam
F3 - Select Ashfire Bow
F1 - Shoot
F2 - Powershot
F3 - Aim

Tigers - weak, but fast enemies, used for chasedowns
Spiders - an average foe, without anything special in his arsenal
Scorpions - powerful beasts with increased health and damage

The main idea was about two times bigger than this. If this map turns out to be a success, I will continue updating it with new features.

THERE ARE NO INGAME CREDITS, THEY ARE HERE, IN THIS POST!!!

Being given so short period of time, I think this is a good entry.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Please, test the map in Easy difficulty. Later you can try Normal or Hard, but finish it at least once on Easy.

Sites:
chaosrealm.info
hiveworkshop.com
wcunderground.freeforums.org

Systems:
Radamantus - Knockback v1.6
hell gate - Jump System v1.2
Kingz - Missile System with Arcs in GUI v1.4

I got most of the from ChaosRealm and WCUnderground, and they are all WoW-Rips. However, there are some from here:
funkid2 - Fire Spear
olofmoleman - Moria Pillar
amigurumi - Demon Gate
chilla killa - Deathwing's Mace
Infrisios - Chain Element
Teaspoon - Hell Shot
Champara Bros - Magma Tentacle

UTM (ultimate terraining map) for some doodads

I made all the ribbon models, edited most of the models a little, made the Character model (not from scratch, though) and Firestorm Blades.

If anyone is left out from credits, just say so and I will put you in.

Attachments

• Firelord's Realm.w3x
    9.3 MB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Level 20
@ Xiliger
why i can't test it?o.o when i open it in WE and hit test it runs wc3 and goes to the main screen >_<

@ MaTiJa97
I like the updates!! Although hiding the cursor make it a bit hard to select difficulty when map starts >_<

minor bug:
You can Jump through this gate^^
Firelord%27s%20Realm%20Picture%20001.jpg

@ Xiliger
why i can't test it?o.o when i open it in WE and hit test it runs wc3 and goes to the main screen >_<

@ MaTiJa97
I like the updates!! Although hiding the cursor make it a bit hard to select difficulty when map starts >_<

minor bug:
You can Jump through this gate^^
Firelord%27s%20Realm%20Picture%20001.jpg

Thanks for the review, bro :D I guess it doesn't matter now, since the contest is over :D

I wasn't able to work on map, and I won't be able next few days as well due to exams and thing related to University :sad:
Not to mention surviving apocalypse and few birthdays and parties as well.
The thing is, if there is no any chance to extend this, exclude my WIP, I posted it just in case, but again I'm sorry for bad news.

Status
Not open for further replies.