• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rainfall v1.02

Fleeing from a flood disaster, the refugees have arrived at a wasteland. They take opportunity to start a new life in the abandoned castles there.
The destiny is yours, choose your path & leadership style.

In this version, the main change is I have implemented some new features to make this game more approachable, and also more RNG elements for more unpredictable gameplay and replayability.

Throughout the game, useful tips will be shown to introduce system & features.

Castle buildings, technologies, abilities & minions are now categorized. You will be offered a choice to unlock any of these categories, depending on your need or strategy.

These choices offered are randomly generated. I believe it is healthy for a game to have some RNG elements, to allow players improvise a strategy instead of repeating and memorizing strict build orders.

Hero skills and items are also now random, it is up to you to come up with a unique plan from the available options.

Single Player AI available. Now more challenging.
Can you defeat 2 computers alone?

If you don't have Battlenet, update it to v1.27b
If you have Battlenet, update it to the latest version (1.29+)

all-in-one.jpg

Rainfall is a classic Real Time Strategy game that has compilation of features inspired from other RTS games.

Command and Conquer series
Superweapons
When Heroes reach level 8, they can access to a very powerful spell.

Dawn of War 2/ Company of Heroes
Point capturing
While base building is maintained, each additional gold mine on the map acts like a “point”, where you can build a Trading Post on it to gain advantage in battle.

Generals Zero Hour
Leaders & arsenal modifications
While heroes training is limited to 1, the Hero can select a Battleplan to modify the units.

Stronghold series
Popularity concept
Heroes will get free experience periodically, instead of killing units. The amount of XP gained depends on how you play the game.

Age of Empires series

Age Progression
Similar system, but the choice is random
Walls & gate
Each player starts with free wall & gate.
Peace treaty
Heroes cannot use items, skills and train army units before day 2, thus negating rushes.

Age of Mythology

Wonder
When certain conditions are met, you can build a grand statue of your hero that greatly extends your maximum food limit.
Ability combination
Heroes have skill slots, you can choose abilities to assign them.

World in Conflict
Refund system
Destroyed minion and building will refund a portion of gold cost.

Battle Realms
Combat abilitites
All trained units have special abilities
Watch tower system
Some towers can load unit & defense is limited to prevent excessive turtling.

rainandsnow1-b.jpg

Rain & thunderstorm
Weather plays tactical role in this game.
Raining silences all non-hero units & sometimes lightning will randomly strike units outside of castles.

Strategy > APM
Turn based concepts are added to improve RTS mechanism.
- research upgrades immediately, but delivered next day.
- power resources limit spell spamming between hero & minions.
- during night, defenses are stronger to encourage truce, allowing time for planning & thinking.
- certain base management requires the hero in base to perform, reducing multitasking.

Counter intuitive tactics

New tactics and rules to try.
- auto attack > focus fire : firing at will deals more damage.
- gold hoarding is encouraged, for future savings and also certain spells.
- the smaller army trained the more xp the hero gets

New units, items & spells
This game will focus on modification of the Human race.
Information
www.therainfallgame.com/minions
www.therainfallgame.com/items

Changelog :

v1.02 (20 june 2018)

Maintanence
- Fixed some bugs

New
- new system : Discover
- new event : Creep Invasion
- new ability : Trickster > Grand Finale
- Singleplayer test now spawns all types of trainable minions

Balance
- Trading Post food increased from 4 to 20
- Grand Statue's Tribute bonus food increased from 50 to 80
- Tax period increased from every 20s to 30s
- True Sight aoe of Living Statue Increased from 500 to 600
- Tower limit now gives +2 daily
- Fountains now can regenerate mechanical units
- constructing during early game is faster
- If your Hero reach maximum level (12), you will get interest for your gold
- Treaty now disables Hero attack
- gambling for Abilities at Inn removed
- Lightning now only strike Hero & units that cost food (except Monk & Gyrocopter)

Ai
- Ai will attack gates
- Ai heroes start with Gem of True Sight
- Ai base defenses are now tougher
- Ai units are weaker
- Big Game Hunter skill now works against AI minions
- you can now Gamble item on AI (1/5 probability bet)

Cosmetics
- some tooltips update
- more info shown at Quest menu
- musics added
- flowers in base now only grow on grass
- detailed tips will be shown throughout the game for beginners to learn & familiarize

older changelogs

v1.01 (19 apr 2018)

Gameplay :
- single player testing added
- map prepared for patch 1.27b - 1.29
Cosmetics :
- terrain changed
- new color system for player names in multiboard
- gambling player selection now based on player number instead of color
- some tooltips fixed

v1.00 (9 mar 2018)
- uploaded

Credits :
-=Emergenzy=-, -Grendel, ~Nightmare, 67chrome, AlienAtSystem, Apheraz Lucent, Arak1da, Avahor, bribe, Callahan, Cavman, chilla_killa, CRAZYRUSSIAN, D.ee, Darkfang, Deon, Destructor [DoR], dhguardianes, Domokun, EnetheruAnuon, Ergius, eubz, Fingolfin, General Frank, Grey Knight, Haistrah, ILH, Infrisios, JetFangInferno, JollyD, kangyun, Ket, Kuhneghetz, LiOneSS, Mc !, Mike, morbent, Mr. Bob, nhocklanhox6, olofmoleman, Palaslayer, PeeKay, Power, PrMosquito, Priest170234, Pyritie, RED BARON, Sin'dorei300, Talon the Mage, Tarrasque, The_Swamp_Warrior, Thrikodius, Tranquil, TurieL, Ujimasa Hojo, Vortigon, WhiteDeath, wingednosering, WILL THE ALMIGHTY, wojia10502, zbc
Contents

Rainfall v1.02 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
1. Debauchery: Gyrocopter can't use this ability. Why is that necessary? I mean you can just not have that ability on the specific unit. 2. If you can only summon one gold digger/day why does the ability's description mention a cooldown? Not sure you...
deepstrasz
Would be best to have specific description with all the necessary details. Well, maybe some parts to be with snow/desert, something like that, not to see the same thing everywhere even if the layout would be the same for balance reasons. Or, just...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
1. Debauchery: Gyrocopter can't use this ability. Why is that necessary? I mean you can just not have that ability on the specific unit.
2. If you can only summon one gold digger/day why does the ability's description mention a cooldown? Not sure you can use that ability more than once per unit. Talking about the one on the Lumberjack.
3. Terrain is pretty much repetitive. Could make it look a bit different at least in terms of visual aspect if you want to keep the shapes for balance's sake.
4. I'm not sure 10etc. gold mines is a good idea. Makes you stay in one place especially with two mines from the start.
5. What does Coming Soon as a requirement mean, that, it'll be available in a newer map version? If so, please specify it like that.
6. I suggest a sell ability that destroys buildings giving back a part of the resources spent on them.
7. How do I get past the Imperial Age to access the Industrial and Dark Ages? It says Imperial Age is researched and there's only a "-" under the Requirements. Family Planning also has a "-" also having in its title "(researched)". If I have these, then why do they still have the "Requires"?
8. Oh, it's time based. Basically you have to wait some days.

All in all, interesting but takes some time to get everything in especially with two build menus.
Somewhat slow paced, maybe because of its intricacies.

However a credits list in the map thread description is mandatory.

Awaiting Update

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N

BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

Level 6
Thank you for the review.

1. Debauchery: Gyrocopter can't use this ability. Why is that necessary? I mean you can just not have that ability on the specific unit.
Refer to Gyrocopter unit. Units that ride Gyrocopter will not have that skill, but other skills can have.
2. If you can only summon one gold digger/day why does the ability's description mention a cooldown? Not sure you can use that ability more than once per unit. Talking about the one on the Lumberjack.
No, you gain one charge per day which is cumulative and all male peasants share the charge. This ability is to help players to recover from poverty when gold diggers are harassed.
3. Terrain is pretty much repetitive. Could make it look a bit different at least in terms of visual aspect if you want to keep the shapes for balance's sake.
Can you elaborate, most strategy games I played pretty much have repetitive terrain. Furthermore I spent more than 2 month just to build the terrain and environment.
4. I'm not sure 10etc. gold mines is a good idea. Makes you stay in one place especially with two mines from the start.
The 10 miners are implemented to reduce harsh penalty from worker harassment. It is easy to kill 5 miners in base with spells and air units.
5. What does Coming Soon as a requirement mean, that, it'll be available in a newer map version? If so, please specify it like that.
I mentioned early release, but I will specify that in next version.
6. I suggest a sell ability that destroys buildings giving back a part of the resources spent on them.
I tried the ability before but it doesn't look aesthetically pleasing (it looks strange for other players to see buildings suddenly disappear). It will look better if warcraft buildings have deconstruction animation like selling buildings in Red Alert.
7. How do I get past the Imperial Age to access the Industrial and Dark Ages? It says Imperial Age is researched and there's only a "-" under the Requirements. Family Planning also has a "-" also having in its title "(researched)". If I have these, then why do they still have the "Requires"?
I don't want the research button to disappear like Warcraft 3 when researched, so I leave it there after researched so players can still refer to them for information.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
o, you gain one charge per day which is cumulative and all male peasants share the charge. This ability is to help players to recover from poverty when gold diggers are harassed.
Would be best to have specific description with all the necessary details.
Can you elaborate
Well, maybe some parts to be with snow/desert, something like that, not to see the same thing everywhere even if the layout would be the same for balance reasons.
I tried the ability before but it doesn't look aesthetically pleasing (it looks strange for other players to see buildings suddenly disappear). It will look better if warcraft buildings have deconstruction animation like selling buildings in Red Alert.
Or, just make use of an FX to hide the disappearance.
I don't want the research button to disappear like Warcraft 3 when researched, so I leave it there after researched so players can still refer to them for information.
Make the title and description look better. Change the colour or something to make it specific.

Changes made,
Approved.

Last edited:
Level 6
Would be best to have specific description with all the necessary details.

Well, maybe some parts to be with snow/desert, something like that, not to see the same thing everywhere even if the layout would be the same for balance reasons.

Or, just make use of an FX to hide the disappearance.

Make the title and description look better. Change the colour or something to make it specific.

Will further improve the looks.

Level 2
Played the map in single player vs bots. Was messing around while watching the bots fight each other.
Was fun exploring until one of the bots started zapping my base with lightning until everything died.

I don't think I was supposed to play with bots.

Other thoughts I had:
- Gate reinforcements, increasing health, etc. To make them more useful.
- Allowing units to walk and build on the walls. I feel towers placed on the ground look a bit naked.
- Would like a toggle button for spawning blacksmith thingies from the arsenal building.
- More, and more significant researches. To me, I think you'll end up having every research in the late game.
- The bots had infinite units to send.
- Cards of fate, I thought were a little insignificant.
- Gold mines in the middle seem impossible to defend.
- Make it possible to choose starting location. (Doesn't matter right now though, I think).

Level 6
AI zapping your base? Can you send replay? Can you give more details?

Gate reinforcements, increasing health, etc. To make them more useful.
The gate only is to discourage early game rushes. Late game can only delay few seconds of invasion.
Allowing units to walk and build on the walls. I feel towers placed on the ground look a bit naked.
Like Stronghold? THat's a bit difficult to implement in Warcraft 3, but i try mess around and see.
Would like a toggle button for spawning blacksmith thingies from the arsenal building.
You mean an option to disable that blacksmith girl spawning?
More, and more significant researches. To me, I think you'll end up having every research in the late game.
YOu need more than 1 hour to research them all. This game will usually end around 30 mins ++, when you have superweapon or grand statue. I intend players to use 50% of all researches per game.
Cards of fate, I thought were a little insignificant.
The cards are consumables, for utility purpose. I personally think it is more imbalanced than Warcraft or Dota because for a price of 1, you get 11 different consumable options and only occupy 1 slot. Some card like King can turn the tide of battle if you are very rich.
Gold mines in the middle seem impossible to defend.
Really? I thought the fountain seems imbalance because defenders can keep regenerating and harassing.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

It is a great altered melee with unique units and a lot of diversity. You can come up with a lot of strategies to bring down your opponent. 5/5 from me.
+rep points for using the recreation of the popular StarCraft map (The Hunters/Big Game Hunters)

Level 2
Wow, I really surprised myself with this project. I think even the creators of these RTS games you've based on would enjoy and give their support :D Keep up the awesome work!