• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Phoenix Trial #4 - Weapon and Armor Upgrade Sequences

Status
Not open for further replies.
BowlerHat.png
FlossHat.png
CapitalistHat.png

BTNWalkingStick.png
BTNIronHandledStick.png
BTNCapitalistStick.png

I agree with LiO on this; your backgrounds are far too bright. You can keep the background but you should darken it a lot.

Ive worked a bit on the Sticks, and here is the result:

BTNWalkingStick.png
BTNIronHandledStick.png
BTNCapitalistStick.png

The complete sequence looks like this:

BowlerHat.png
FlossHat.png
CapitalistHat.png

BTNWalkingStick.png
BTNIronHandledStick.png
BTNCapitalistStick.png

Try blurring it or something because I can see all of the brush strokes. Also, you need more differentiation between the object and the misty glow. Try darkening the area around it.

It's alright, you just have to make a new sequence ;)
heres a WIP of my shield.

Looks more like some sort of Fish Egg than a shield.

Level 35
Maybe we should just abandon the warcraft feel all together...or at least make it "sorta" warcrafty, since it seems no one is making anything warcrafty, and warcraft icons suck anyway (it hinders our progress, not help)

seriously, just let us make the best darn icon we can.

I don't agree with Elenai because I don't like agreeing with Elenai.

I suggest we stop asking for icons to be warcraft-ish though.

Then what should they be? If they aren't they don't fit and just look stupid. I don't think the judges should be too harsh when rating people on that, since it's so hard to do, but we shouldn't vito the criterion.

Level 35
Why not? Why should the icons all have to have horrid plain, black backgrounds, when clearly everyone is doing backgrounds. Backgrounds give it a unique flavour, that warcraft icons lack in.

Seriously though...we've been "making" everything as warcrafty as possible since the beginning.

Lets let ourselves loosen up! And be creative.

Sure we should make it look relatively blizzardy, but we shouldn't have to make it "look blizzardy", at the same time. That limits creativity, kills motivation, and makes the contest that much less enjoyable, when fun is the main focus, not product.

Why lose points, because of a background? We should get points if the icon looks good background or not, or more if our icon goes well with a background.

(and note, I am NOT doing this for my sake, but because the majority seems to have spoken with their actions)

You can really ruin an icon with a background, but it can help if you do it right. Elenai, yours is just barely hitting unacceptable. Make some small changes and it should be fine. For example, if you draw a whole scene in the background it's ruined, if you just change up the colour (from black to blue, let's say) then you're fine.

Edit: And I'm doing Draenei, as stated before. This is just clarification. :p

Level 9
Here's a little WIP. there's something about the shading on the totem that really bugs me but I cant put my finger on it. also do you think this background is too much or not?

P.S. it is much bigger than a normal icon right now, I'm gunna shrink it so I get the best quality.

Attachments

• Tauren Weapon Tier 1.jpg
    Tauren Weapon Tier 1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 189
I say get rid of the background; you don't want the background and the focal object to be the same. Anyways, I think they'd have cut off any leaves spurring out of the totem and - trying to follow the Warcraft III Style - it would have more creases in the wood. So add more heavily contrasted lines in the wood. Also, you need some more tonal contrast overall, and the light source could be coming more from above.

Level 9
The leaves are actually part of the background, which is one reason I thought it might be too extreme (they will grow with each tier). In the second tier (which I just finished) I think the light is a little better with the horns but not yet on the wood. I will make the wood be more warcrafty now though.

Attachments

• Tauren Weapon Tier 2.jpg
    Tauren Weapon Tier 2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 147
Concerning the "Blizzard Feeling" criteria, i agree with Hawkwing.
Most icon creators don´t even test their icon ingame in association with normal Blizzard ones.
Improper icons can really ruin a situation/map since not every user will repelace all icons in his map with custom ones.
We´re still a warcraft resource site, not a complete "Show-me-your-64x64-artwork" one.
If they fit both, quality and warcraft (Blizzard Icon Feeling), it´s a really good icon for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.