• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch 1.31 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
They just put out the patch notes for 1.31:

Patch 1.31 said:
SPECIFIC CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS

• Integrated Direct3D 11 and Metal graphic APIs
  • Added 64 bit support for Windows and Mac
  • Dropped 32 bit support for Mac
  • Sounds are disabled when the client is not active
  • Expanded supported window modes within Options
  • See World Editor Updates for more details on many additions and improvements including beta support for Lua
  • Join the fray over in Balance Updates for multiplayer and map pool changes
  • Battle.net 37 disabled for Reign of Chaos
    Dev Comment: We’ve been encountering non-trivial issues connecting players over Battle.net 37 as we unify the game client - a prime example being disconnects caused by erroneous matches between Chaos and Throne. Custom maps created with RoC data are still playable, this affects melee only. A major benefit to this change is players who owned Reign of Chaos only now have The Frozen Throne.
BUG FIXES

• Triggers won’t be lost during saves (Thank you, @Bribe)
  • 256 bones are available (Thank you, @Retera)
  • Custom movies play correctly (Thank you, @Gustafsson)
  • DBZ Tribute Elite 2.5.1g no longer causes desyncs
  • Builders_and_Fighters_CFVers_1.08 no longer causes desyncs
  • Char Def 4 3.0 Fix 5 English loads
  • HM RPG v7.00 loads
  • NCD6.9 ENG Dannebox loads
  • Maps no longer download again with each patch
  • Sound data no longer transferred between maps
  • Commands issued while a unit is affected by Possession no longer trigger after control is restored
  • Switching window focus with Open Broadcaster Software running no longer causes freezes
  • Combat and death sounds are no longer played globally for observers
  • Movement speed and attack speed data labels are no longer reversed for Envenomed Spear in the editor
  • Disease Cloud will now stack properly when using custom buff data
  • Runed Bracer’s tooltip now accurately describes that it reduces spell damage, not magic damage

WORLD EDITOR UPDATES
(Beta) Added Lua as a supported scripting language. To create a Lua map:

1. Create a blank map
  2. Open Scenario > Map Options
  3. Select Lua from the Script Language dropdown
  • Maps save in the selected language
  • Maps that are written only in standard libraries can switch to Lua
  • Maps that use custom script will have to disable all custom triggers before conversion
(Beta) Object modification system API allows new changes to many items, abilities, units and more at run-time.

• Maps can be saved and loaded as folders (as well as MPQs)
    • The map structure can now be updated outside of the editor (such as adding files). In the editor go to File > Save As and then select to save the map as a directory or an MPQ. This feature coupled with auto-import allows maps to be manipulated and developed by multi-person teams more easily.
  • Loose files in a map are now auto-imported in World Editor
    • Historically, an imported file would be noted in the .imp file. Loading the map only load/save files that were stored in the import file. Auto-import loads and save files that are stored in the map folder automatically. This also makes manipulation of map files outside the editor possible.
  • Added support for many popular community created functions
  • Added Custom User Interface functions to allow map makers to add, remove, and adjust UI frames
  • When saving a map as an MPQ, the editor no longer saves file times to make maps deterministic
  • The editor now creates a backup map file on save
  • The data layout in CASC has changed, each directory with the “.w3mod” suffix acts as an overlay for the engine
  • Maps are .w3mods with a different extension (.w3m or .w3x) which allows us to support maps that contain all locales in one map
  • Folders can now be nested in the Trigger Editor
  • Globals are now part of the trigger tree, and can be put in relevant categories
  • Doodad height is now an adjustable property (Requires “Reset Fixed Object Heights” disabled)
  • When creating new objects in the object editor you are now given the option to customize it
  • Scripts can now detect when any unit is damaged
  • Scripts can now detect and modify the damage done before armor
  • Scripts can now detect and modify the attack type, damage type, and weapon type (Note, modifying these only works in the pre-armor event)
  • GroupAddUnit/GroupRemoveUnit now returns true/false if a unit was added/removed
  • More group manipulation natives (BlzGroupAddGroupFast, BlzGroupRemoveGroupFast, BlzGroupGetSize, BlzGroupUnitAt)
  • Bitwise functions (BlzBitOr, BlzBitAnd, BlzBitXor)
  • When JassHelper is enabled, it now only shows the JassHelper error dialog
  • Removed deadzone when using the editor on widescreen displays
  • Tooltip Previewer displays how text will appear in game
  • BlzSetAbilityResearchExtendedTooltip now displays the correct string
  • BlzGetLocalUnitZ now returns the correct height
  • Setting Use Custom Color to True for the waterfall doodad no longer causes a crash
  • Units given custom spellcaster icons do not crash the game client when selected
  • Certain custom models are no longer lost due to textures being relocated in the game
  • Items have a new field, Stock Initial After Start Delay. This allows mapmakers to specify how much of an item starts in stock on a shop if it has an initial start delay.
Read the full list here:
1.31.0 Patch Notes

!! WARNING !!

Make sure to backup your map before saving it in the newest World Editor. There is currently a bug which can corrupt the string data in your map.

Last edited by a moderator:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Yeah, I'm waiting for it to go live as they say since the launcher doesn't tell me there's an update to be made.

EDIT: never mind. I had to use the launcher in another Warcraft III folder the last update made.

EDIT2: what do these commands actually do?
-graphicsapi Direct3D9
-graphicsapi OpenGL

I just chose the full screen ingame.

Level 4
Can you please explain the desync problem a bit, or don't you know all of the reasons yet? i see that you have fixed desyncs for two maps but I have still no idea what causes them and how to fix it for map. Because now I only know that is experience extensive desyncs since rather late 2018 without changing my map and I have no clue how to fix it :/ I have completly stopped mapping for that reason even though I mapped since 2005.

I will try to get some players and see if the problem still exists with 1.3.1, but if you can tell that would be great.

Attachments

• Battle.net TD 1.27e.w3x
    5.1 MB · Views: 314

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Go to the warcraft install directory -> x86_64 (if you use 64bit OS) or only x86 folder, and from there you can find the matching WorldEditor.
Figured it out. But somehow the object data of my map is just messed up completely. Gotta look into this.

So for some reason the object data has been moved around the map files and the maps are basically corrupted. Some ability names have been moved into a unit data fields like names or other descriptions.

Interesting.

Level 14
***WARNING*** Make backups of your maps before you save them! Saving under the new patch may scramble your Object Data strings.

The new patch has butchered the campaign data in my campaign. For example, it erased all the proper names of one hero. A bunch of strings are misplaced, e.g. one ability is named (in the editor) all of the proper hero names for another unit. One ability that used to have a hotkey of "W" now has a hotkey of: "liquid fire"

I'm reluctant to spend the 20 hours it would take to repair all of this.

UPDATE: Weirdly, my backup files of the campaign seem unscrambled.

UPDATE 2: I exported the object data from the old version of the campaign and then imported it to the new version (with the triggers I've been working on). The data looked perfect when I imported it. Then I saved the campaign. Now the Object Data are messed up again, though not in precisely the same way. It seems like saving the campaign butchers it somehow.

UPDATE 3: Can confirm. I opened an old version of my campaign. The object data was perfect. I then saved the campaign. The object data was now scrambled.

Last edited:
Level 14
I'm looking at hundreds of hours of work here so this isn't working properly - clearly. So what is the issue - how to avoid it?

Very weird. I checked my backup files (which were only a couple days old) and they all work fine. I'm wondering if I screwed it up by downloading the new patch while my editor was open. Remixer, was your map open when you downloaded the new one?

I tried restarting my computer...no luck, it's still scrambled. I might try exporting the object data from the old version and importing into the new version (I had made many chances since the backup, but not to the object files). I'll keep a backup of the scrambled version just in case.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Well guys, why would you update a program while it's still running? Besides, it's an old game, not Battle.net 2.0.

Sorry, I hope you figure it out without losing too much.
A quick glance on a 1.27 map of mine told me that there were no issues in the Object Data.

Level 14
I have an issue that WE messes abilities, upgrades, etc descriptions/tooltips up. After i close and reopen the map it either fixed or messed up differently.

Make a copy of your map. Then open it, look at the data. Then save it, and look around the data again. I've found that the act of saving the file is what scrambled my campaign. Of course...I saved it, so now it's saved scrambled.

Whenever I see something like this update I feel so happy, but I know that you coders/designers who make Hive great are MUCH more excited over this, I just wish I could understand this more!
Nah not happy lol,inside they boil. Many features offered, but everything is bloody broken...

But still they are faitfull ones , they will shut up and try fix the problem with no rage.
When they are done, they will provide feedback

So my conclusio is next : only hives can help blizz now

Level 5
Not happy. It has been one month since 1.31 PTR was out and they fix nothing!

They simply waited for 30 days and then announced it live.

Edit: It seems that broken texts are fixed.

Last edited:
Level 24

Attachments

• Failure.jpg
    Failure.jpg
    953.1 KB · Views: 431
  • block.jpg
    block.jpg
    866.6 KB · Views: 398
  • FIXED.jpg
    FIXED.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 397
  • AOW.jpg
    AOW.jpg
    941.6 KB · Views: 407
Level 14
w3x2Ini doesn't work with the new maps.

For the last 15 years this has been happening and you are still somewhat surprised?
Do you expect 3rd party tools that aren't made by Blizzard to not need an update when the game they are based upon updates?
There are legit issues but this isn't one of them.
If you want to help the game, please report the issues in a reasonable and clear manner without unnecessary judgment.

Last edited:
Level 24
Do you expect 3rd party tool that aren't made by Blizzard to not need an update when the game they are based upon updates?
They could have given mapmakers a tool to encrypt the maps.
Who wants to make maps when some dirtbag is just going to steal credits for your work and make shitty edits.
Theres no incentive to make maps.

Its like this every fucking patch, they break something and it takes 3 months to fix it.
The patches are lazy and rushed.
Just look at the screenshots i posted earlier, it's so sloppy.

Reactions: Rui
Level 5
I want to ask this question again, more explicitly:
How do you use GetTriggerEventId() for comparison in Blizzard's Lua?
JASS:
function TestAction()
    if GetTriggerEventId() == EVENT_UNIT_PAWN_ITEM then
        //false
    elseif GetTriggerEventId() == EVENT_UNIT_DROP_ITEM then
        //false
    elseif GetTriggerEventId() == EVENT_UNIT_PICKUP_ITEM then
        //false
    else
        //true
    end
end
function InitTrigTest()
    local t = CreateTrigger()
    TriggerRegisterUnitEvent(t, u, EVENT_UNIT_PAWN_ITEM)
    TriggerRegisterUnitEvent(t, u, EVENT_UNIT_DROP_ITEM)
    TriggerRegisterUnitEvent(t, u, EVENT_UNIT_PICKUP_ITEM)
    TriggerAddAction(t, TestAction)
    t = nil
end
Maybe I should try type casting? or GetHandleId() for both sides?

If it is a bug, please fix ASAP! DONT WAIT UNTIL REFORGE PLEASE!

Level 9
also idk if u noticed but the editor works super laggy (feels like about 10 fps) no matter if im going through object editor data, trying to place a new unit or just scrolling through a gui trigger dropdown...

edit: it seems like when it messes up your tooltips its not just random stuff from within the map, i got the names of the heros in my fnatasy/medival hero arena changed to a tooltip from a tank/modern map i made 2 years ago (didnt touch it for literally 2 years) - idk how the data could be that mixed up
*also some strings that only exist in the trigger editor as textmsgs became unit names (for example things like "a Hero died!" became a name of a unit

thats some heavy issue.. i just tried to open the tankmap and see if its data got currupted too, that map is fine. seems like when u save a map it mixes the data with all other maps

edit2: i just tried to copy my map into a complete empty folder and open it from there, i imported a model & saved the map - no data corruption! can anyone confirm that? if thats the case the issue is probably related to the map/mpq feature

edit3: i tried the same with another map that i first encountered the bug, copied to an empty folder, imported the same model and saved. result: data got messed up again, but it got messed up exactly the same way as before, so the same heros were named after tooltips from my tank map even if i moved the map to a completely diffrent folder branch on my drive

edit4: i copied my map, exported all object editor data from the back up, opened the corrupted one and imported all the object data. result: works, even after saving data is good.

edit5: friend of mine tried this method too, didnt work for him, also i tried creating a new unit in the object editor, that messed up all data even without saving. - well rip mapping till the next hotfix

Last edited:
Level 20
Stuff like this is why I opted to stick with the 1.26 editor and test with the current client instead of using the current editor. At least with 1.26 you know everything works.

The thing that should boggle everyones' minds is the editor is what Blizzard used to make the campaigns. How in the world are they even updating them if the editor is this unstable-- that its current state only truly works in Blizzard's office environment?

Level 9
@Razorclaw_X its only messing with custom data, as logn as u stick to using the standart units/spells/items/doodads u r fine and u wont notice that somethings is wrong

@Assassins-Creed i totally agree, the file explorer is ugly and u cant even right click the folder anymore and say "open in new window" probably one of my most used features when i needed to do a little edit on one of the models

How in the name of sanity is it even possible to screw up SO VERY HORRIBLY that data gets completely jumbled upon saving.

As far as I can tell the object data is fine, but the problem is the map's string file (war3map.wts). The editor corrupts the string file and the objects end up pointing to the wrong string.

Level 10
Druid Pouch +1 is the most optimal way to select game modes, especially when it gives you more strength and a random keg.

So I tried testing a map with Jass stuff, got an error on that, aaaaand this is what happened. Neat? The uh... last time I actually did anything was end 2017 though, and that was with... JNPG? I think it was? So that may have something to do with it.

Attachments

• neat.jpg
    neat.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 336
Level 9
@Nudl9 i am having hard laggs on big maps (+1k triggers, +400 variables, +25k doodads +75mb) and could get that confirmed by a few friends trying to open larger maps too

on smaller or medium sized maps we worked fine for me too, yet i didnt had any lagg issues before update even on large maps

Level 8
Nah not happy lol,inside they boil. Many features offered, but everything is bloody broken...

But still they are faitfull ones , they will shut up and try fix the problem with no rage.
When they are done, they will provide feedback

So my conclusio is next : only hives can help blizz now

Oh jeez, I must've misread the situation. Well I hope blizzard does good!

Level 24
Last patch we spent 3 months with a broken game.

How many times do they have to kill custom games?
How long before they fix 4v4?

We should have just had 1.29 until Reforged was actually released.
Instead Blizzard chose to tear the good will with patch after patch by experimenting on the playerbase with botch jobs.
Mapmakers want a stable climate and so do pro melee players.
Its disrespectful to the playerbase that has been loyal for years and to potential customers.
Im just so sick of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.