1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[ORPG] Shadows of Everwood

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Wolfe, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Wolfe

Wolfe

Resources:
    Resources:
    My apologies, but it does become a nuisance after a while.

2. naga

naga

Resources:
    Resources:
    Any updates ???

3. shentong1932

shentong1932

Resources:
    Resources:
    Can you let me test the map when its done :O?

4. Hiude

Hiude

Resources:
    Resources:
    We're all testing it when it's done. :O

5. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We've had our meeting today and it went well and we've came to an conclusion with the professions system and other stuff.
    Wolfe will post the updates tomorrow.
    To answer your posts above, there will be no private/public testing, the team will test the game for flaws and then will realise it to the public.

6. naga

naga

Resources:
    Resources:
    OOOOO NO BETA CRAPPY THINK :S :goblin_boom:

7. Wolfe

Wolfe

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hello guys, just a bit of progress for you. As Oziris has told you, we did have a meeting last night regarding the way professions (classes) will work in Post Demo as well as some extension systems for such a system. I'll briefly elaborate on how professions will work in the demo below, and even a Post Demo class (yes, hoorah!).

Each profession will have three skill trees, two dedicated to that profession, and one that has three abilities relevant to that professions from other professions. For example:

I'm a Warrior, but I am able to use the Ranger abilities Sprint, Tripwire and Grim Slash (these are just made up) and the Necromancer abilities Festering Slash, Necrotic Shield and Plagueskull (again, made up abilities).

Each profession tree will have twelve abilities (depending on how many classes we have, the third tree will vary). Abilities will also be categorized by profession AND weapon. So the twenty-four class abilities you have are not influenced by your weapon. Rather, for each weapon type, there is six abilities exclusive to that weapon that you can access. Weapon abilities will work differently to class abilities in the sense that because you obviously will not use the same weapon all of the time, you will not have to dedicate any skill points to those abilities. Rather, weapon abilities are influenced by your stats.

We also explored the possibility of opening each class up to all weapons and armours, but adding weight to each weapon and armour to include a sense of realism to gear. Such a concept is still being considered, as I want some classes to have a sense of individuality when it comes to their weapons/armour.

Now, onto the part you're all probably dying to read.

I present to you... the Shade!

Profession
    The Shade
    “NEVER SHEATH YOUR BLADE FOR THE SHADE OF DEATH LURKS AT EVERY CORNER.”

"My travels across the world brought me to a quaint tavern in a small fishing village along the River Vinos. Many of the men in the tavern were drunk and rowdy, harassing the poor barmaids and chuckling like idiots. However, there was one cloaked figure who stood out from the small crowd. I assumed it was a woman, for the cloak outlined a slim, delicate figure.

She sat upon a stool over the counter, her face shadowed by a cowl. I took a seat on the other side of the room, and that is when I fully realized whom or what she was. One of the drunkards moseyed over to her with an uneven step, and grinned like a moron.

‘Say you come up with me and we have a good time, ey lady?' he questioned, his speech slurred and barely comprehendible. The woman sat there and ignored him. He pursed his lips and his face displayed anger. 'Ey, lady, you got no right to ignore me!' the drunkard exclaimed, grabbing her shoulder.

Then, the woman came to life, as if awoken suddenly. The stool she sat upon fell to the wooden floors and within seconds, the drunkard was on the floor with his eyes closed, a stream of blood freely flowing from his mouth. I was certain that he was not alive.

The other hooligans rose from their seats, fists clenched, and encircled the cloaked woman. 'You killed our friend, whore!'

She let her cloak fall to the floor, allowing me identify the woman. She was very tall, and had purplish white skin. Her hair was jet black, tied together by a metallic band that dangled from her head. Tied around the bottom of her tail was a keen knife that glowered in what little light the fireplace emitted. Grasping her body was certainly metal, but she did not have much of it. It wrapped around her as if multiple vipers entangled her, hiding her womanhood, but still revealing enough to astonish. How could such a fragile warrior wear so little?

One of the men lumbered forward, swinging his right fist in an arc. In a wicked blur, the temptress withdrew a long dagger that severed the man’s fist from his arm. He screamed in agony for a brief moment. However, he was interrupted as his assailant’s foot, clad in black metal, came crashing into his gut. He fell back, knocked out by the sudden blow. The remaining four men closed in on her, and she smirked with glee, for another dagger appeared in her opposite hand. She stepped back, raising her daggers defiantly, and leaped upon one of her opponents like a cat. The woman was clearly in frenzy, aroused by the sounds of pain that resonated within the small tavern. Her opponent collapsed. I gazed at what little of his back I could make out, and saw the cause of his demise – his back was dotted with bloodied holes.

The woman was silent, but as her daggers sliced through air and flesh, they made a soothing song that eased the carnage that I witnessed slightly. Another man fell to the ground, his left arm detached, and his shirt red with blood from a deep gash in his throat. As the two remaining men staggered, she stood back, smiling like a child. The fires that danced within the hearth faded within seconds, and shadows lingered all around. I was blinded by the blackness, but heard many sounds. The song of blades came to my ears like angelic music, interrupted by the sound of flesh being cut and heavy objects falling to the floor. When the bladesong concluded, I knew that the battle was over. Shadows dispersed, and the inn was silent. Chairs, tables and kegs littered the wooden floorboards, accompanied by the five corpses of dead men. When I say five, I do mean five. The man knocked out by the woman earlier was stabbed once more, lying amongst splintered wood and ale.

Astonished by this scene of bloodshed, I turned around and, to my amazement, saw the cloaked assassin gazing at me. Our eyes met, and all of my courage melted upon the sight of her decadent silver eyes. She grinned, and said:

'hatred looms high above the land – the shadow of death has come to purge all who encourage it.' With that, she left.

Thus, I dubbed her a Shade – a bloodthirsty harpy who dances across the field of battle, leaving behind a trail of blood and shadow.”

Role Melee Damage
    Primary Stats Agility, Strength
    Weapon Proficiencies
    Armour Type
    Swords, Daggers, Katars, Fists
    Light Metal

Blood Specialization
    Shades that specialize in this mastery tree embrace their knowledge of weaponry to combat the foes they encounter. Quite often, you will find one of these murderous charlatans dancing across the battlefield in a storm of blades, leaving behind a trail of blood and misery.

Shadow Specialization
    Shades that specialize in this mastery tree are malicious, calculating and selfish in their actions. Adept at fading into the shadow realm, finding traps and then disarming them, these common criminals are usually found tricking honest folk and selling themselves off as assassins and mercenaries.

Profession Mechanics
    Dance of Blades
    Shades are able to dance across the battlefield in a storm of blades, leaving behind only blood and misery. Players initiate a sequence of events called a dance, in which all abilities used acts as a step. As you execute a step, your next ability will deal more damage, until you unleash a devastating finale upon your foes. If you exceed the limit, you become exhausted, decreasing your movement and attack speed significantly. Maintaining the dance is crucial, but difficult, as you only have a certain amount of time allocated between each step. Generally, that time is three seconds.

Attacks
    Shades are masters of battle who have practiced ancient battle techniques. Of these techniques is the skill rotation in which each ability is classified as a Lead, Off or Follow strike. This also applies to steps in the Dance of Blades.

• Lead attacks are initiating attacks that leave a target with the “Lead” debuff and often carry Conditions
    • Off attacks are follow-through offhand attacks that deal more damage if a target has “Lead” and often worsen Conditions
    • Follow attacks are optional double strikes only usable after an Off attack has been used, dealing double damage

8. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I love the shade class. Nice work Wolfe.
    What Wolfe didn't mention is that we may have a more complex hero model. The player will actually be able to change parts of the hero's body to his taste. Like: If you don't like short hair, you can pick longer, or a bigger chest, smaller arms and etc.

9. ubran

ubran

Resources:
    Resources:
    Edit: message removed..

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  10. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    ahmm, I think class-trees and customizable spells are being used in a lot of games nowadays so I don't think its right for you to say that it was your idea, unless all of those other games (I'm talking about stand-alone games like WoW) got that idea from you...

11. Wolfe

Wolfe

Resources:
    Resources:
    I honestly do not understand what you mean. Class tree's are essentially a part of a lot of RPGs and MMOs, and customizable spells... do you mean spells that you as the player create? Too complex to do, and we don't have that in our map. o.o

12. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Stole your idea? Please, we can easily crush your statement down with evidence that we did not COPY it from your idea. We have the whole conversation in MSN history how we got to that idea in the first place. So please, don't talk none sense. Thank you.

13. Wolfe

Wolfe

Resources:
    Resources:
    ubran, I do not enter Hive Chat very often, so I was not aware of it being your idea. We did discuss it last night. HeroSlayer suggested the foundations of such a system, and we expanded on it from there. I am not aware of if he got the idea from Hive Chat, but I am sure that none of us have stolen your ideas.

14. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    you need to realize that in reality, if ur doing RPG's its pretty easy to come-up with an idea that is almost if not exactly the same as the idea of other people without realizing it so even if you don't post your ideas for this kind of map on a public place, it is highly likely that someone will have that same idea... especially when it comes to spell systems and such...

15. ubran

ubran

Resources:
    Resources:
    I know the whole, "nothing is truly original" idea. My heart just got smashed to pieces when half of what made a portion of my map stand out is created as part of another, more popular map, because the logical side of me knows that (especially on the internet), the more known brand gets credit for being the original, like Band-Aids and other adhesive bandages.

16. Wolfe

Wolfe

Resources:
    Resources:
    If it is your idea, we apologize, but I can guarantee that we did not steal the idea from you, or any Hive Chat conversation. My team just happened to have brainstormed the same idea.

17. HeroSlayer

HeroSlayer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Do not apologize Wolfe.

Ubran, I spent like 1 hour chatting to think of this idea, If it is yours, go cry somewhere else :S

I never steal ideas, I dont need to do it, and if this was something I had acquired from you, I would SAY IT

18. Davesanz

Davesanz

Resources:
    Resources:
    That system looks really good.

19. phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Resources:
    Resources:
    It wasn't your "original" idea in the first place. I've seen a lot of MMORPGs use this spell system, and I find it to fit this project perfectly.

20. Tukki

Tukki

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    A (very) small content update from a snowy and cold Sweden!

I've finished my special cut-scene library, so you guys can expect some terribad quest-update cinematics. These cut scenes are not skip-able, on the other hand they last around 10 seconds and consists of pure action: no talk, no bulls**t :D

On a side note; that secret golem boss I told you about a few pages back might not make it into the demo.

Also, it seems like ubran has realized that we didn't steal his idea of the chat (or anywhere else if that matters). So could we stop this topic, please.

With that, I'll return to the blistering snowlands and continue coding.